US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

Thank you, Elon.

Haha like clockwork. 

Dry your tears. The evidence against Trump is so overwhelming that many of the cases against him are only to determine how much he's going to pay, not whether he's guilty or not, as that's established fact and even his own lawyers don't bother to argue against that.

Maybe if the lawyers used more memes they might have a better chance.

Edited by Duodenum
  • Thanks 1

https://newrepublic.com/post/179160/republicans-delete-reference-fbi-informant-smirnov-impeachment-letter

Republicans Rush to Scrub Mention of FBI Informant in Impeachment Letter

House Republicans are quietly trying to remove traces of indicted ex–FBI informant Alexander Smirnov in their Biden impeachment quest.

They just continue to make a joke out of themselves.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I did a bit of reading on the Trump media potential merger and although it looks like once again, Trump has slipped the noose, there are a couple of mitigating factors:

Although the merger appears to earn him $4 billion, it's a paper evaluation, meaning he can't use it for things like say, legal expenses....at least not yet.

I think this is important, because it shows that Trump's media company, like a lot of his assets, is based on nothing, other than I suppose his name. One has to wonder if the stock will retain it's current value 6 months down the road, when investors start crunching actual numbers....

Now, I fully admit that I know little about stock trading and finance and I'm sure people with more experience like @Sabrefan1 @Elias Pettersson and @nuckin_futz will weigh in and tell me what I'm missing, but from my (albeit cursory) digging, it might not be the huge windfall that it seems.....

If there's any justice in this world, the stock price will plummet before Agent Orange can sell his shares....

EDIT: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/02/15/truth-social-trump-merger-sec/

(forgot to post the link)

A “lock in” period is pretty standard for any IPO. It avoids big investors from cashing out early and tanking the stock. 6 months is usually the minimum. Sometimes it’s up to 2 years. You can also purchase different types of shares of a company which have a different value and different controlling interest. Class A, B, C etc. You can also purchase warrants and options to allow you to spread out your risk. 

In terms of cashing the stock, if your shares are “locked in”, you can simply open a margin account. That allows you to borrow against the shares. In Canada you can borrow up to 50% of the value of the shares. Problem with that is that if the shares drop in value, you’d get what’s called a “margin call”. A margin call simply means you need to cover the shortfall if your shares drop in value. You would need to either cover via a cash payment into your account or sell other shares. 

So, if Bone Spurs were to borrow against TS shares and they tanked, he’d get a margin call from the bank and he’d have to cover the balance. So could be a risky situation if he plays that card. 

In terms of the value of TS, I did already mention that the company has little revenue. Less than $5 million. So it is in effect a meme stock similar to Gamestop. It could hold its value and even go up considerably if Bone Spurs were to become President again. It certainly will go up in value in the short term if the merger is approved and the IPO happens. 

Like I said already, the biggest concern for Bone Spurs are his criminal cases and going to jail. IMO the $350 million judgement will most likely either be reduced or dismissed entirely on appeal based on the fact that the judge made a critical error in the valuation of Mar-a-Lago. Many luxury real estate agents in Palm Beach have valued the property in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Even Forbes magazine valued it at $350 million in 2022. 

Someone on here mentioned that the value is only $18 million because of the restrictions on the property and the fact that it is being used as a club and not as a private residence. My research says that the “restrictions” on the property can be reversed prior to its sale. So we will see what happens with that. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

Trump + Tulsi Gabbard would be the best case scenario for 2024. 

It will be very tough to counter Biden, Nikki Haley, Mitch McConnell, Chuck Shumer, Hillary Clinton, Victoria Nuland, Lindsay Graham, and other Neocons who want to see the world burn and profit from it. 

A paramecium would do a better job than Drumpf. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

I’d love to see how much property tax the Dotard is paying each year. 

Because Mar-a-Lago is being used as a private club to generate revenue and not a private residence, the property assessment is $37 million. Which is what the judge used for the value. That means Bone Spurs is only paying property taxes on the $37 million. Which comes out to $602,000. 

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/business/2023/10/9/1_6594528.amp.html

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

He was trying sooo hard not to stumble.  Poor guy

Trump guilty of anything worth noting yet? No? The dems better hit him with something big soon, before election time.  

At least there wasn't toilet paper stuck to his shoe...and even in his current state I bet he can understand how umbrellas work...

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

At least there wasn't toilet paper stuck to his shoe...and even in his current state I bet he can understand how umbrellas work...

Those are old.  Biden has a new one every week

Edited by Wiggums
  • Thanks 1
  • Desmenko 1

21 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

@Sabrefan1 @Elias Pettersson and @nuckin_futz will weigh in and tell me what I'm missing, but from my (albeit cursory) digging, it might not be the huge windfall that it seems.....

If there's any justice in this world, the stock price will plummet before Agent Orange can sell his shares....

EDIT: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/02/15/truth-social-trump-merger-sec/

(forgot to post the link)

I’m currently overseas so am not as up on things as usual so can’t really comment on this. 

Though I did find the shoe thing ****ing  hilarious. 😂 It’s like shoes that come with shit on the bottom. 💩 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Wiggums said:

He was trying sooo hard not to stumble.  Poor guy

Trump guilty of anything worth noting yet? No? The dems better hit him with something big soon, before election time.  

You can actually hear someone in the press/camera scrum say, "They don't do the big stairs anymore?"  😬

• chaos 1

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You can actually hear someone in the press/camera scrum say, "They don't do the big stairs anymore?"  😬

If he was 50 and had a physical disability no one would care. Or most people anyway.

I don't know how with the media the way it is that Joe can turn it around, because when he speaks he doesn't sound sharp either or when he does it doesn't get much airtime.

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'd just like to point out that there is yet another looming government shutdown facing the USA. In early March, the government will be forced to shut down, unless Congress can deliver a new funding agreement. The problem for Speaker Mike Johnson, is that the Marjorie Taylor Greene faction of the GQP doesn't want a deal. Since any single one of those Nutjob faction (aka the Freedom Caucus) can force a vote to vacate, Johnson has to tread carefully in order to avoid suffering the same fate as Kevin McCarthy.

There is also the matter of Ukraine and Israel funding, which has seen Senate agreement but likely won't see a vote in Congress because just like the bipartisan Border deal, Donald Trump doesn't want the bills to pass. It doesn't matter to Trump how many Ukrainian lives are lost while House Republicans dither, it's more important that the Biden Administration doesn't pass any bills.

One would think that with all these issues coming to a head, Congress would be hard at work, trying to come up with a solution.....but one would be wrong.

Mike Johnson's response was to send Congressional members home for a two week break. He then found time for truly important tasks, such as traveling to Mara-Lardo and kissing the ring and then to a Republican "retreat", where two attendees say he delivered a "sermon" on the lack of religious influence in government.

But hey, "both sides", amirite?

This faction of the government doesn't want a functioning government.  Started with the Tea Party.  Small government, just as long as the government that does remain is them.

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

This faction of the government doesn't want a functioning government.  Started with the Tea Party.  Small government, just as long as the government that does remain is them.

You'd figure there'd be enough people on both sides of the House that would want to make government function in spite of these obstructionists... but, I guess that's 'murrikan politics for ya.  :classic_rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

36 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

You'd figure there'd be enough people on both sides of the House that would want to make government function in spite of these obstructionists... but, I guess that's 'murrikan politics for ya.  :classic_rolleyes:

A couple of interesting points I've read recently on this . I'll preface this by saying I don't expect either to actually happen, but they make for interesting points of discussion.

One is a proposal from a House Democrat (sorry, can't recall his name off the top of my head) for an amendment to the rule that allows for a single House member to call for a vote to Vacate the Speaker's chair. The amendment would require approval by either of the House leaders, Johnson or Hakeem Jeffries. It's doubtful that there would be enough spine on the Republican side for such a motion to pass, but it would certainly make it a lot easier to actually govern....

The other idea was put forth by a guy I saw on a TV interview. He was a member of the Lincoln Project, but I didn't recognize him.

He envisioned a scenario where the GQP once again decides the Speaker isn't MAGA enough and gives Johnson the boot. In that case he "predicted" enough Republicans representing Blue or Purple districts decide enough is enough, they're likely not going to be re-elected anyway, so they throw their weight behind Jeffries and actually get some legislation passed, before they get Primaried, or voted out by a public that is sick of these MAGA shenanigans....

• Cheers 3

16 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I love the guy with big smile and tight pants 😂

IMG_3415.jpeg

This really exemplifies the disconnect....

These folks and their fellow MAGAts will look at this photo and say "OMG! We look so awesome!".....

Meanwhile, everyone else looks at them and thinks "Wow.....what a bunch of morons...."

• Cheers 1