US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Again...I have said the choices are like choosing between two elderly drunks.  One is relatively harmless while the other is a vindictive, mean spirited rapist that wants to sleep with his daughter.   Really tough choice right?

Trump is a bit like a boiled frog.

The slow acceptance of all his gross and criminal behaviour by his followers is something to behold.

Your bolded is pretty accurate. If you told the American public in over a decade ago that these would be the atributes of their POTUS they would have scoffed. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

If he was 50 and had a physical disability no one would care. Or most people anyway.

If he was 50 with a disability, they'd either put him on a ramp or moving stairs.

I don't know how with the media the way it is that Joe can turn it around, because when he speaks he doesn't sound sharp either or when he does it doesn't get much airtime.

All but 1 of the major networks (newsmax and oan are on life support) skew left to varying degrees.  If they all are ignoring Joe as you believe they are, there is a reason that the corporate controlled narrative has decided to do that.  Your job as a consumer is to figure out why that is the planned narrative, if that truly is the case as you believe. 

If I had to guess, Biden is so affected with age related mental issues that they are afraid to put him on TV too often.  They're going to need to drug him up before the upcoming presidential debates so he can be as sharp as possible.  At least look at the bright side, he's not flat out infirmed and teetering on the edge like Moscow Mitch is.  What they're doing with him in the Senate is borderline elder abuse.

The Democrats already once looked into replacing Joe with Gavin Newsom.  The Biden administration staved that attempt off.

I can't help prove or disprove what you say because I just catch clips of the mainstream news networks on YouTube.  I decided years ago, not long after the corporations took over, that normal every day consumption was a waste of my time.  The vast majority of what I consume is through digital online print news.

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

Truth social generated 3.4 million in revenue but lost 49 million, sounds like typical Trump business.

That was the first 3 quarters of 2023.  They're going to end up around 5M/60-65M after they report the full year.

Edited by Sabrefan1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Trump is a bit like a boiled frog.

The slow acceptance of all his gross and criminal behaviour by his followers is something to behold.

Your bolded is pretty accurate. If you told the American public in over a decade ago that these would be the atributes of their POTUS they would have scoffed. 

I mean Nixon was also vindictive and went off the rails at the end but at least he was somebody with a decent veteran career in WW2 (he could've avoided serving via a religious exemption but he volunteered anyway).  Came from modest means.  The other guy?  Born into money & got his dad to write him a doctor's note to get him out of serving in Nam.  Two guys I would rather not have to vote for but I know who I would choose if those were the only two options.

• Cheers 3

36 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

POLL: Kari Lake Losing Big in Arizona Even Though Trump Is Beating Biden

https://www.mediaite.com/news/poll-kari-lake-losing-big-in-arizona-even-though-trump-is-beating-biden/

Amazing how they don't like some uppity bitch who secretly taped and burned a person they did like and recently chose for their position...

• Cheers 3

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A “lock in” period is pretty standard for any IPO. It avoids big investors from cashing out early and tanking the stock. 6 months is usually the minimum. Sometimes it’s up to 2 years. You can also purchase different types of shares of a company which have a different value and different controlling interest. Class A, B, C etc. You can also purchase warrants and options to allow you to spread out your risk. 

In terms of cashing the stock, if your shares are “locked in”, you can simply open a margin account. That allows you to borrow against the shares. In Canada you can borrow up to 50% of the value of the shares. Problem with that is that if the shares drop in value, you’d get what’s called a “margin call”. A margin call simply means you need to cover the shortfall if your shares drop in value. You would need to either cover via a cash payment into your account or sell other shares. 

So, if Bone Spurs were to borrow against TS shares and they tanked, he’d get a margin call from the bank and he’d have to cover the balance. So could be a risky situation if he plays that card. 

In terms of the value of TS, I did already mention that the company has little revenue. Less than $5 million. So it is in effect a meme stock similar to Gamestop. It could hold its value and even go up considerably if Bone Spurs were to become President again. It certainly will go up in value in the short term if the merger is approved and the IPO happens. 

Like I said already, the biggest concern for Bone Spurs are his criminal cases and going to jail. IMO the $350 million judgement will most likely either be reduced or dismissed entirely on appeal based on the fact that the judge made a critical error in the valuation of Mar-a-Lago. Many luxury real estate agents in Palm Beach have valued the property in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Even Forbes magazine valued it at $350 million in 2022. 

Someone on here mentioned that the value is only $18 million because of the restrictions on the property and the fact that it is being used as a club and not as a private residence. My research says that the “restrictions” on the property can be reversed prior to its sale. So we will see what happens with that. 

Doubt that he will win anything on appeal.  The judge took his time to ensure the judgement was bulletproof to any appeals.  Valuation of the property as a club was only part of the MarLago issue.  I believe the income the club took in was a factor as well and I think that’s where alot of the fraud took place.  The 18 million was never an amount that Engoron floated out.  In fact, the DA was using values of 60 to 80 million as the basis for her case.  In any event, Mar Lago was only part of what went into his judgement.  There were other properties as well that were factored in.  An appeal would be filed to only reduce the amount of the judgement based on calculation errors committed by the judge (highly doubtful since I’m sure in such a high profile case he would have dotted his I’s and crossed his T’s.  That’s assuming that Trump’s crappy lawyers have the abilities to do that which is doubtful.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

CPAC Head’s Wild Claim Trump Is Being ‘Tortured’ By Democrats a la Putin or Xi Highlights Bizarre Opening Remarks

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/cpac-heads-wild-claim-trump-is-being-tortured-by-democrats-a-la-putin-or-xi-highlights-bizarre-opening-remarks/

The irony is not lost on me given his constant praise of these two tater dicks

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

17 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Doubt that he will win anything on appeal.  The judge took his time to ensure the judgement was bulletproof to any appeals.  Valuation of the property as a club was only part of the MarLago issue.  I believe the income the club took in was a factor as well and I think that’s where alot of the fraud took place.  The 18 million was never an amount that Engoron floated out.  In fact, the DA was using values of 60 to 80 million as the basis for her case.  In any event, Mar Lago was only part of what went into his judgement.  There were other properties as well that were factored in.  An appeal would be filed to only reduce the amount of the judgement based on calculation errors committed by the judge (highly doubtful since I’m sure in such a high profile case he would have dotted his I’s and crossed his T’s.  That’s assuming that Trump’s crappy lawyers have the abilities to do that which is doubtful.

He will have to post bond on the judgement in 30 days for any case he wants to appeal.  The E. Jean Carroll $83 million judgement doesn't have much time to go.  By the end of March, its done for this one.

If TRUMP really had the cash on hand, and was innocent, and had solid grounds for appeal, the E. Jean Carroll bond would have already been posted, with his appeal request submitted.  Same with this one.  Instead, his lawyers spend more time bitching on rightwing "media".

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Wiggums said:

He was trying sooo hard not to stumble.  Poor guy

Trump guilty of anything worth noting yet? No? The dems better hit him with something big soon, before election time.  

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You can actually hear someone in the press/camera scrum say, "They don't do the big stairs anymore?"  😬

Speaking of stairs

Hey it's Tommy!

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Fox News Town Hall Audience Cheers When Trump Says He Wouldn’t Defend Besieged NATO Allies That Don’t Spend Enough on Militaries

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/fox-news-town-hall-audience-cheers-when-trump-says-he-wouldnt-defend-besieged-nato-allies-that-dont-spend-enough-on-militaries/

How quickly MAGA and  Greenville South Carolina have forgotten their gratitude and appreciation of the good people of Newfoundland after 9/11.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Well he is only getting older! They both suck and need to go. 

Just out of curiosity G, why do you think Biden sucks? From what I can tell, he's actually gotten quite a bit done in his term, despite the virtually constant obstructionist actions from the other side of the aisle....:classic_unsure:

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

How quickly MAGA and  Greenville South Carolina have forgotten their gratitude and appreciation of the good people of Newfoundland after 9/11.

I said many times, "You Are Here: A Come From Away Story" should be seen by every American....

In addition, every American should know the truth about how the events depicted in the movie "Argo" actually went down. I'd bet the mortgage you could ask 100 random Americans who Ken Taylor is and go 0 for 100......

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Just out of curiosity G, why do you think Biden sucks? From what I can tell, he's actually gotten quite a bit done in his term, despite the virtually constant obstructionist actions from the other side of the aisle....:classic_unsure:

Well I think that is the people around him getting it done and he is brain addled and too fucking old. His VP has not shown any moment of merit in my opinion and her pre VP history is makes me think she's a shitty human being. 

Now is he better than the other too old brain addled fat bastard criminal? Absolutely. But they both are poor options now. Both are fading fast. 

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Gnarcore said:

Well I think that is the people around him getting it done and he is brain addled and too fucking old. His VP has not shown any moment of merit in my opinion and her pre VP history is makes me think she's a shitty human being. 

Now is he better than the other too old brain addled fat bastard criminal? Absolutely. But they both are poor options now. Both are fading fast. 

Regarding the people around him, my answer would be "So what?"  What President does everything by himself?

Regarding his age, again I disagree. Nobody "sucks" because they're old. YMMV.....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Regarding the people around him, my answer would be "So what?"  What President does everything by himself?

Regarding his age, again I disagree. Nobody "sucks" because they're old. YMMV.....

Age to a point is fine..when that age is resulting in the decline we're seeing? Then it is a factor. Of course no one does it alone...but right now with the state of things the US needs someone strong and younger in my opinion.

Also...not a fan of the stance with Israel during all of this. I have avoided that thread for awhile for all the straight bending over of posters to Bibi et al committing war crime and light genocide as 30000 people have been killed, mostly women and children, over an attack that killed 900 like that somehow excuses what is going on. Said it for awhile..both sides are abhorrent BEFORE all this and I think far less of both now. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Age to a point is fine..when that age is resulting in the decline we're seeing? Then it is a factor. Of course no one does it alone...but right now with the state of things the US needs someone strong and younger in my opinion.

Also...not a fan of the stance with Israel during all of this. I have avoided that thread for awhile for all the straight bending over of posters to Bibi et al committing war crime and light genocide as 30000 people have been killed, mostly women and children, over an attack that killed 900 like that somehow excuses what is going on. Said it for awhile..both sides are abhorrent BEFORE all this and I think far less of both now. 

I agree to a point on the Israel stance. Not because I support one side or another....I don't see it as a "black and white" issue. That being said, Israel is a US ally and Hamas is denoted as a terrorist organization, so I'm not really sure what other official position JB could take. There is also the fact that there are a lot more Jewish voters in the US than there are Palestinians...(unless I'm way off base on that)

Regarding the age, I guess I misinterpreted your post. When you said Biden "sucks" I thought you meant as a POTUS, which I believe is inaccurate After this discussion, it seems more like you meant that he sucks as a candidate for POTUS, which I still think is overstating it, but more understandable.

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I agree to a point on the Israel stance. Not because I support one side or another....I don't see it as a "black and white" issue. That being said, Israel is a US ally and Hamas is denoted as a terrorist organization, so I'm not really sure what other official position JB could take. There is also the fact that there are a lot more Jewish voters in the US than there are Palestinians...(unless I'm way off base on that)

Regarding the age, I guess I misinterpreted your post. When you said Biden "sucks" I thought you meant as a POTUS, which I believe is inaccurate After this discussion, it seems more like you meant that he sucks as a candidate for POTUS, which I still think is overstating it, but more understandable.

For sure there are more Jewish people but the numbers of Muslims and others turning on him over it is high. Now it is short sighted to think Trump, the biggest suck up to Israel we've seen in a long while, would be better for them but here we are. The big thing about Israel isn't the ally status...it is their lobbying arm. The money they have and use is obscene.  The will primary both sides over the slightest critique and throw around the label of anti semite at the drop of a hat. You can be an ally and callout bullshit. We were the US's ally and didn't end up in Iraq now didn't we? 😉 

I think Biden and his team has done a great job 90% of the time. Especially with the ridiculousness of the House and Freedumb Cocks-are-us. Look at that economy and growth under Biden. Exceptional work there. The infrastructure bill was great too. 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

For sure there are more Jewish people but the numbers of Muslims and others turning on him over it is high. Now it is short sighted to think Trump, the biggest suck up to Israel we've seen in a long while, would be better for them but here we are. The big thing about Israel isn't the ally status...it is their lobbying arm. The money they and use is obscene.  The will primary both sides over the slightest critique and throw around the label of anti semite at the drop of a hat. You can be an ally and callout bullshit. We were the US's ally and didn't end up in Iraq now didn't we? 😉 

I think Biden and his team has done a great job 90% of the time. Especially with the ridiculousness of the House and Freedumb Cocks-are-us. Look at that economy and growth under Biden. Exceptional work there. The infrastructure bill was great too. 

Yeah, I've seen a lot of stories about how Muslim voters are saying they won't vote for Biden. I get it, but I also wonder how much of that is media hype? So the Islamic community as a whole are going to vote for the guy who proposed a ban on all Muslims entering the country? It seems pretty counterintuitive to believe that the folks we see in these articles are actually speaking for the entire Muslim community.

That being said, it certainly is an area of concern, but I don't see what Biden can possibly do about it. He's going to piss off someone no matter what he does. I think the only play will be to remind voters how Trump also supported Israel and even moved the US Embassy to Jerusalem, without receiving any commitments from Bibi in return.

• Like 1

Probably a nothingburger, but I came across a story that suggested Trump might have some legal trouble related to his foray into the Sneaker market....

It boils down to the fact that the soles of those fugly gold shoes happen to be red. I don't pay much attention to the fashion industry, (none, in fact) but apparently red soles are an iconic feature of Louboutin shoes and the company has successfully sued in the past to protect their right to exclusivity....

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/ip-law/trump-sneakers-red-soles-spark-louboutin-trademark-questions

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, I've seen a lot of stories about how Muslim voters are saying they won't vote for Biden. I get it, but I also wonder how much of that is media hype? So the Islamic community as a whole are going to vote for the guy who proposed a ban on all Muslims entering the country? It seems pretty counterintuitive to believe that the folks we see in these articles are actually speaking for the entire Muslim community.

That being said, it certainly is an area of concern, but I don't see what Biden can possibly do about it. He's going to piss off someone no matter what he does. I think the only play will be to remind voters how Trump also supported Israel and even moved the US Embassy to Jerusalem, without receiving any commitments from Bibi in return.

I really doubt the leaders of the Muslim groups in the US speak for everyone in their community, much like the ones up here. I mean go ahead and vote for Trump or Poilievre is thats what you want, but it seems like a dumb choice from an ally pov. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1