US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Probably a nothingburger, but I came across a story that suggested Trump might have some legal trouble related to his foray into the Sneaker market....

It boils down to the fact that the soles of those fugly gold shoes happen to be red. I don't pay much attention to the fashion industry, (none, in fact) but apparently red soles are an iconic feature of Louboutin shoes and the company has successfully sued in the past to protect their right to exclusivity....

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/ip-law/trump-sneakers-red-soles-spark-louboutin-trademark-questions

he just needs to put a little hammer and sickle on them and he'll be fine. 

• Cheers 1

Meanwhile, the schools and the courts in Texas are dealing with the real criminals:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/texas-news/trial-to-determine-if-texas-schools-punishment-of-a-black-student-over-his-hair-violates-new-law/3469059/

A Black high school student’s monthslong punishment by his Texas school district for refusing to change his hairstyle does not violate a new state law that prohibits race-based hair discrimination, a judge ruled on Thursday.

Darryl George, 18, is a junior and has not been in his regular classes at his Houston-area high school since Aug. 31 because his school district, Barbers Hill, says he is violating its policy limiting the length of boys’ hair.

You can see their point....if you allow a boy to have long hair, it's only a matter of time before he walks into the girls' washroom and "whips it out"....:classic_rolleyes:

Republicans: Guns in schools? Great idea! Long hair for boys? Not on your life!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Speaking of stairs

Hey it's Tommy!

I'm still laughing as I type this.  Karma really is a cantankerous b*tch.  She will come back and bite you in the worst way at the worst time of her choosing.

He was literally ass surfing down those stairs!  🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

‘MAGA Will Govern for 50 Years’: Steve Bannon Opens CPAC With Prediction of Trump Victory Amid ‘Three Global Crises

https://www.mediaite.com/news/maga-will-govern-for-50-years-steve-bannon-opens-cpac-with-prediction-of-trump-victory-amid-global-crisis/

I can't put into words how much I can't stand Steve Bannon.  I couldn't stand him before 2016 and I can stand him even less now.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Probably a nothingburger, but I came across a story that suggested Trump might have some legal trouble related to his foray into the Sneaker market....

It boils down to the fact that the soles of those fugly gold shoes happen to be red. I don't pay much attention to the fashion industry, (none, in fact) but apparently red soles are an iconic feature of Louboutin shoes and the company has successfully sued in the past to protect their right to exclusivity....

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/ip-law/trump-sneakers-red-soles-spark-louboutin-trademark-questions

This made me think of the Dotard using various songs,without permission from the artists, during his last campaign. I remember hearing Fortunate Son by CCR  at one of his rallies and thinking wut?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PistolPete13 said:

This made me think of the Dotard using various songs,without permission from the artists, during his last campaign. I remember hearing Fortunate Son by CCR  at one of his rallies and thinking wut?

He's had a long list of them....Neil Young comes to mind right away, but there have been many others....

I guess the Kid Rock / Ted Nugent library doesn't quite cover it....

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Politicians are always getting cease and desist letters from music artists.  I can't blame the artists though.  You don't want your music getting politicized.  It threatens your ability to put food on the table in the long term.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Politicians are always getting cease and desist letters from music artists.  I can't blame the artists though.  You don't want your music getting politicized.  It threatens your ability to put food on the table in the long term.

Especially if you are associated with Trump.

Pretty sure I can count on my hand the amount of artists that support him. Mostly the opposite, there are lists of musicians that have spoke out against him.

Maybe it's because art is usually progressive and accepting. Also, the target audience is younger, maybe that plays into it.

• Cheers 2

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Especially if you are associated with Trump.

Pretty sure I can count on my hand the amount of artists that support him. Mostly the opposite, there are lists of musicians that have spoke out against him.

Maybe it's because art is usually progressive and accepting. Also, the target audience is younger, maybe that plays into it.

I think that explains why, if I had to guess, Republicans most likely see more cease and desist letters than Democrats. 

However the smart artists hand them out like candy on Halloween to any politician who uses their work.  If you're a successful music artist, your library is your most valuable asset that you can have.  Anybody who puts your long term security at risk for their short term gain, should be swatted down like a fly.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

I think that explains why, if I had to guess, Republicans most likely see more cease and desist letters than Democrats. 

However the smart artists hand them out like candy on Halloween to any politician who uses their work.  If you're a successful music artist, your library is your most valuable asset that you can have.  Anybody who puts your long term security at risk for their short term gain, should be swatted down like a fly.

Are there many examples of cease and desist letters to democrats?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Beyond Bruce Springsteen with a blanket ban on anyone using "Born in the USA", not that I'm aware of, but I have heard artists off and on say that they don't want their music politicized.  I've always assumed that meant both parties.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Especially if your music was political in nature but is being badly misinterpreted.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Especially if your music was political in nature but is being badly misinterpreted.

I was young when Springsteen banned the use of "Born in the USA", but if I recall correctly, that's exactly why he banned it's use.  It was being used like an anthem, and that wasn't the intention behind the song.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I was young when Springsteen banned the use of "Born in the USA", but if I recall correctly, that's exactly why he banned it's use.  It was being used like an anthem, and that wasn't the intention behind the song.

That's correct.

• Cheers 1

Apropos of nothing, but one of the things that started the rift between the Eagles and Don Felder was a fundraiser that Henley and Frey wanted to do for Jerry Brown. (Not sure where Meisner and Leadon stood on it, but I believe they were with Henley and Frey)

Felder objected, although it's a matter of debate as to whether he wanted to remain apolitical, or wanted to get paid for the gig. Either way, that was the beginning of the end for DF. The rest of the crew remained pretty solid Libtards throughout their career, AFAIK.

Of course, nobody knows WTF Joe Walsh is thinking at the best of times....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • chaos 1

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You got me curious and I did the obligatory quickie search.  It would be quicker to list who hasn't told the man in brownish orange to stop using their music.

His campaign is a trademark infringement machine.

• Cheers 2