US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

28 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Politicians are always getting cease and desist letters from music artists.  I can't blame the artists though.  You don't want your music getting politicized.  It threatens your ability to put food on the table in the long term.

I *might* be wrong but I *think* if you don't defend your "copyright", then in the future it might weaken your case in even more obvious "thefts" of that song???

Random news story:

John Fogerty sued for sounding too much like.......John Fogerty! 🤣:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/john-fogerty-self-plagiarism-lawsuit-creedence-clearwater-revival-752805/

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I *might* be wrong but I *think* if you don't defend your "copyright", then in the future it might weaken your case in even more obvious "thefts" of that song???

Random news story:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/john-fogerty-self-plagiarism-lawsuit-creedence-clearwater-revival-752805/

I *might* be wrong but I *think* there are differences between copyright and trademark.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Random news story:

Just teasing you.  Yeah you're right but I think they're more concerned with their music being politicized.  I know I would be.  I can post one of the articles I did a quickie search on earlier if you'd like.

Edited by Sabrefan1

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Wow.  Good catch.  I was 10 years old and not hugely into music yet.  I never even knew this happened.

Music labels were at peak douchiness in the 80's-90's.  I still remember having to pay 20 bucks for a cassette or CD if I only wanted a couple songs off of an otherwise terrible album.  Not everyone did widespread released singles. 

I remember when they threw fits over MP3's when those came out.  They had to be dragged kicking and screaming to start using them for their releases. 

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

elon-meme-thumb64.jpg

Yeah, because the right hasn't moved at all in the last 13 years. I've asked this before, which democratic leaders would we consider far left and what policies have they enacted that we see today? What I mean is, who is at the opposite end of the spectrum from say empty G, Gaetz, Gym, Trump, and the bunch, because I just don't see it?

I get it though, the far left are loud and obnoxious but they have no real power. Most of us ignore their nonsense as it is of no consequence. The same can't be said for the far right imo, as they a currently setting policy all over your country. 

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Especially if your music was political in nature but is being badly misinterpreted.

" American Woman is a great song, because it talks about how great American women are."

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Yeah, because the right hasn't moved at all in the last 13 years. I've asked this before, which democratic leaders would we consider far left and what policies have they enacted that we see today? What I mean is, who is at the opposite end of the spectrum from say empty G, Gaetz, Gym, Trump, and the bunch, because I just don't see it?

I get it though, the far left are loud and obnoxious but they have no real power. Most of us ignore their nonsense as it is of no consequence. The same can't be said for the far right imo, as they a currently setting policy all over your country. 

This is where "The Squad" usually gets brought up....as if they have any influence on policy....

In the Faux News fever dream, Rashida Tliab and AOC came up with the Green New Deal by themselves and hid Biden's aviator shades, until he agreed to enact it in it's entirety...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Like I've said plenty of times in my posts.  This all started because of the right.  The Tea Party is and was the bane of political discourse.  The left sprinting even further to the left was a predictable and direct response.  We all used to talk about it on CDC when the Tea Party was on their rampage.

I was once a left of center independent.  Now, it all depends on who you ask as to where I would be.

Just now, RupertKBD said:

This is where "The Squad" usually gets brought up....as if they have any influence on policy....

In the Faux News fever dream, Rashida Tliab and AOC came up with the Green New Deal by themselves and hid Biden's aviator shades, until he agreed to enact it in it's entirety...

That's so high schoolish.  I wish they would push back on that moniker.  Fox News further leaned into it and created "The Five".  It's all so childish.

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

My favorite was the Republicans melting down over Green Day calling out Trump.

Even though their Song “American idiot” wasn’t written about Trump, (was way before he became president).  Recently they’ve replaced “redneck agenda” with “Maga” agenda in their lyrics.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Even though their Song “American idiot” wasn’t written about Trump, (was way before he became president).  Recently they’ve replaced “redneck agenda” with “Maga” agenda in their lyrics.

I've gotta see that.  Off to YouTube..... 😂

5 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I've gotta see that.  Off to YouTube..... 😂

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm pretty sure that they will do the switcheroo sometime in the next 3-4 months.  I don't think Biden will make it to November...

I don't know if that would be their smartest move.

The problem they're facing is, who would they replace him with?  Trump would likely wipe the floor with Newsom and Kamala doesn't poll well.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Michelle Obama...

I wonder if they've done polling with her as a choice in the last year.  I'd think it would have crossed their mind.

She would be a wildcard and would likely at least draw out the Democrat base to the polls.

17 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I wonder if they've done polling with her as a choice in the last year.  I'd think it would have crossed their mind.

She would be a wildcard and would likely at least draw out the Democrat base to the polls.

I think it's already planned out.  I mean they are now using the "short" stairs for Biden.  What's next?  When is the SOTU address?  I guess we will see how he holds up with that...

EDIT:  The SOTU is March 7.  So I am thinking they will be watching him closely that day to see how he holds up before a final decision is made...

• chaos 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think it's already planned out.  I mean they are now using the "short" stairs for Biden.  What's next?  When is the SOTU address?  I guess we will see how he holds up with that...

EDIT:  The SOTU is March 7.  So I am thinking they will be watching him closely that day to see how he holds up before a final decision is made...

Your guess is as good as mine.  They need to be careful if that is their plan though.  It could spark an intra-party schism.

I have my doubts, but stranger things have happened.  Like a reality TV star becoming president.

Edited by Sabrefan1
Spelling
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Wow.  Good catch.  I was 10 years old and not hugely into music yet.  I never even knew this happened.

Music labels were at peak douchiness in the 80's-90's.  I still remember having to pay 20 bucks for a cassette or CD if I only wanted a couple songs off of an otherwise terrible album.  Not everyone did widespread released singles. 

I remember when they threw fits over MP3's when those came out.  They had to be dragged kicking and screaming to start using them for their releases. 

Not sure if you read it but John won by taking his guitar to court and showing how the songs were different keys with a different rhythm.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Your guess is as good as mine.  They need to be careful if that is their plan though.  It could spark an intra-party schism.

I have my doubts, but stranger things have happened.  Like a reality TV star becoming president.

If Biden packs it in there will be aground swell of support for whoever succeeds him other than Harris. My hope would be that the DNC will throw an olive branch to centrist GOP voters so that Trump craters. 

• Cheers 1