US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Again, sharing some beliefs doesn't mean sharing all beliefs. I also think some of these are being oversimplified, and some made out to be a bad thing when I think there's more nuance to it.

Of course there will be overlap, and you can think Pierre will do everything anyone in the US does, but I don't think that'll be the case.

Maybe you don't have people in your life that are effected by these policies? I do, and can tell you it's very disturbing.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Maybe you don't have people in your life that are effected by these policies? I do, and can tell you it's very disturbing.

I do, and I've previously outlined how I see certain things help some and hurt others, hence the nuance to it.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

I do, and I've previously outlined how I see certain things help some and hurt others, hence the nuance to it.

What nuances tho? Eg, Can you explain to me PPs version of "parents rights" vs the US. I don't see any difference.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What nuances tho? Eg, Can you explain to me PPs version of "parents rights" vs the US. I don't see any difference.

The nuance of how it can help some people and hurt others. I don't know how how similar/different PPs version is vs the US, I haven't paid enough attention to the US version. I'll assume it's similar though if you're mentioning it.

58 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Trump had numerous gaffes in his latest speech.

The worst was probably calling his wife Mercedes lol. His ramblings make less and less sense everyday. 

Biden and Trump are two peas in a pod when it comes to senility (is that the word?)

Mercedes Schlapp

35 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Apparently that originated on the Dunning-Kruger Times, a satirical website and the tour hasn’t been cancelled because there is no such tour scheduled.

ahh thanks for the heads up. I’m out of the country right now so fact checking isn’t currently high on my list of priorities. 🙂

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Apparently that originated on the Dunning-Kruger Times, a satirical website and the tour hasn’t been cancelled because there is no such tour scheduled.

7 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

ahh thanks for the heads up. I’m out of the country right now so fact checking isn’t currently high on my list of priorities. 🙂

Still funny tho...

• Haha 1
  • chaos 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Haley has a decent strategy, its basically waiting for the legal system or Trumps health to make her the default candidate, there's no one else left.

The age issue would REALLY be significant if she was the GOP nominee.  Not that it shouldn't be anyways (considering Sleepy Joe's age).  But if you yourself are a 77 year old obese rapist felon....

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

The age issue would REALLY be significant if she was the GOP nominee.  Not that it shouldn't be anyways (considering Sleepy Joe's age).  But if you yourself are a 77 year old obese rapist felon....

I certainly don't agree with many of her domestic ideas, but those don't effect Canada, and at the end of the day I don't really care what path the US voter wants on that front. 

I do think she'd be a far better person as a NATO partner, trade partner, etc. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Haley has a decent strategy, its basically waiting for the legal system or Trumps health to make her the default candidate, there's no one else left.

Exactly. It's the same play Vivek was making. Trying to be the most MAGA of the also-rans while hoping Trump's legal problems would sink him....

I'm guessing it just got too expensive to stay in the race, so now he's angling for Veep, same as Tim Scott.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Exactly. It's the same play Vivek was making. Trying to be the most MAGA of the also-rans while hoping Trump's legal problems would sink him....

I'm guessing it just got too expensive to stay in the race, so now he's angling for Veep, same as Tim Scott.

I'm actually surprised that she got nearly 40% in SC. It probably bodes well for her being a default the GOP can live with, if the orange buffoon self destructs. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I certainly don't agree with many of her domestic ideas, but those don't effect Canada, and at the end of the day I don't really care what path the US voter wants on that front. 

She'd be far superior to Trump in almost every regard.....but it's a low bar to clear.

I certainly wouldn't be excited about her as POTUS, but I wouldn't be overly worried, either.

• Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

She'd be far superior to Trump in almost every regard.....but it's a low bar to clear.

I certainly wouldn't be excited about her as POTUS, but I wouldn't be overly worried, either.

I really only got excited about Obama, and just at first, because it was so historic. Otherwise I just prefer that they forget we exist, tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I really only got excited about Obama, and just at first, because it was so historic. Otherwise I just prefer that they forget we exist, tbh. 

I remember being a bit excited when Slick WIlly was elected....

A Democrat POTUS from Arkansas? Who plays the sax?  What, am I living in backwards world? :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

IMHO Halley is a fading hope. Frankly I was surprised at Trump’s numbers in SC. There must be some fierce discussion going on in DNC circles over their ticket. Perhaps there is still hope for a centrist ticket of DNC & GOP supporters based on national security and economic priorities. Doesn’t appear Halley would support that. Negotiating such a coalition would take a lot of time so also wishful thinking. 

If the Trump/Biden showdown is to be avoided the most likely scenario would be Biden stepping aside. Would whoever is pulling Biden’s strings be prepared to let go? Can their control transfer to Harris if she became POTUS? Harris is an insider now so maybe that works. 

Trump will likely win if he goes against Biden. Many of his supporters like his positions on border security and making the Euros pay more for Ukraine. I can agree with these concerns. But, at the end of the day the USA has to support Ukraine and playing politics over that support will cost thousands of lives and undermine USA credibility internationally. The spin-off concerns globally could truly hurt the USA and world stability. I don’t trust Trump to not screw it up. American isolationism is real and did not start with Trump. Quite often isolationism perks when the USA experiences internal financial stress. IMHO that is happening now and both the GOP and DNC are playing politics with the issues. 

Canadians are far too disconnected about our American cousins. When financial pressure hits them it is often Canada that gets shafted. Both the GOP and the DNC sacrifice trade relations at these times. Of the two I worry about Trump more as he has no real affinity for Canada. Canada has off loaded our domestic security cost on the USA and it is resented. Those days are ending. Trump could throw Canada into years of recession. Canada will have very limited ability to combat this and government spending will decrease as a result. The default practice by Canadian politicians is to deficit spend to maintain the status quo. Easy out for them but again likely going to end. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2