US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO Halley is a fading hope. Frankly I was surprised at Trump’s numbers in SC. There must be some fierce discussion going on in DNC circles over their ticket. Perhaps there is still hope for a centrist ticket of DNC & GOP supporters based on national security and economic priorities. Doesn’t appear Halley would support that. Negotiating such a coalition would take a lot of time so also wishful thinking. 

If the Trump/Biden showdown is to be avoided the most likely scenario would be Biden stepping aside. Would whoever is pulling Biden’s strings be prepared to let go? Can their control transfer to Harris if she became POTUS? Harris is an insider now so maybe that works. 

Trump will likely win if he goes against Biden. Many of his supporters like his positions on border security and making the Euros pay more for Ukraine. I can agree with these concerns. But, at the end of the day the USA has to support Ukraine and playing politics over that support will cost thousands of lives and undermine USA credibility internationally. The spin-off concerns globally could truly hurt the USA and world stability. I don’t trust Trump to not screw it up. American isolationism is real and did not start with Trump. Quite often isolationism perks when the USA experiences internal financial stress. IMHO that is happening now and both the GOP and DNC are playing politics with the issues. 

Canadians are far too disconnected about our American cousins. When financial pressure hits them it is often Canada that gets shafted. Both the GOP and the DNC sacrifice trade relations at these times. Of the two I worry about Trump more as he has no real affinity for Canada. Canada has off loaded our domestic security cost on the USA and it is resented. Those days are ending. Trump could throw Canada into years of recession. Canada will have very limited ability to combat this and government spending will decrease as a result. The default practice by Canadian politicians is to deficit spend to maintain the status quo. Easy out for them but again likely going to end. 

I agree with most of this for sure. I don't want Trump to win, I just think as things stand today, that he will. 

I think some people might complain about this being on the democrats to pick a better candidate, but I agree with you it is the best/easiest path forward without Trump winning. 

At the very least they can pick a better VP.

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I agree with most of this for sure. I don't want Trump to win, I just think as things stand today, that he will. 

I think some people might complain about this being on the democrats to pick a better candidate, but I agree with you it is the best/easiest path forward without Trump winning. 

To be fair to Harris my take on her is pretty superficial. I think it was a 60 Minutes segment on her tenure as a prosecutor in Cali that was negative. Not sure? She plays the race card when asked tough questions. Obama rose above that. 

• Upvote 1

‘It’s Silence of the Lambs!’ Trump Rages Over ‘Millions’ of Hannibal Lecters Being ‘Deposited’ In U.S. From Foreign ‘Insane Asylums’ In CPAC Migrant Rant

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/its-silence-of-the-lambs-trump-rages-over-millions-of-hannibal-lecters-being-deposited-in-u-s-from-foreign-insane-asylums-in-cpac-migrant-rant/

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

To be fair to Harris my take on her is pretty superficial. I think it was a 60 Minutes segment on her tenure as a prosecutor in Cali that was negative. Not sure? She plays the race card when asked tough questions. Obama rose above that. 

My issue with her is just her poll numbers. No one, even the Dems, seem to want her.

Pick someone who people can be confident in, because from where I sit I can't see joe making it through another full term.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO Halley is a fading hope. Frankly I was surprised at Trump’s numbers in SC. There must be some fierce discussion going on in DNC circles over their ticket. Perhaps there is still hope for a centrist ticket of DNC & GOP supporters based on national security and economic priorities. Doesn’t appear Halley would support that. Negotiating such a coalition would take a lot of time so also wishful thinking. 

If the Trump/Biden showdown is to be avoided the most likely scenario would be Biden stepping aside. Would whoever is pulling Biden’s strings be prepared to let go? Can their control transfer to Harris if she became POTUS? Harris is an insider now so maybe that works. 

Trump will likely win if he goes against Biden. Many of his supporters like his positions on border security and making the Euros pay more for Ukraine. I can agree with these concerns. But, at the end of the day the USA has to support Ukraine and playing politics over that support will cost thousands of lives and undermine USA credibility internationally. The spin-off concerns globally could truly hurt the USA and world stability. I don’t trust Trump to not screw it up. American isolationism is real and did not start with Trump. Quite often isolationism perks when the USA experiences internal financial stress. IMHO that is happening now and both the GOP and DNC are playing politics with the issues. 

Canadians are far too disconnected about our American cousins. When financial pressure hits them it is often Canada that gets shafted. Both the GOP and the DNC sacrifice trade relations at these times. Of the two I worry about Trump more as he has no real affinity for Canada. Canada has off loaded our domestic security cost on the USA and it is resented. Those days are ending. Trump could throw Canada into years of recession. Canada will have very limited ability to combat this and government spending will decrease as a result. The default practice by Canadian politicians is to deficit spend to maintain the status quo. Easy out for them but again likely going to end. 

46 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Really? :classic_huh: You agree that someone is "pulling Biden's strings"? And that shadowy someone (or someones) would need to "allow", JB to step aside and KH take over....:classic_unsure:

That just seems like Q-Anon type conspiracy theory crap to me, but I guess everyone has an opinion....

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Really? :classic_huh: You agree that someone is "pulling Biden's strings"? And that shadowy someone (or someones) would need to "allow", JB to step aside and KH take over....:classic_unsure:

That just seems like Q-Anon type conspiracy theory crap to me, but I guess everyone has an opinion....

In general, yes I don't think Joe is doing much of the analysis in decisions that hit his desk.

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

In general, yes I don't think Joe is doing much of the analysis in decisions that hit his desk.

If you say so....:classic_unsure:

Personally, that sounds like the kind of bullshit you see on Faux News....

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Of course it is speculation on my part. Loooking into what might happen and why is often speculation. Just as your comment is. 

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Of course it is speculation on my part. Loooking into what might happen and why is often speculation. Just as your comment is. 

If you're suggesting that I'm "speculating" when I say Biden is actually making his own decisions, rather than being controlled by some shady puppet master, then yes, I suppose I am "speculating" such....

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Whoa now. I'm not saying there's some shady conspiracy, I'm saying I don't believe Joe has the capacity or energy to be deeply involved anymore.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Whoa now. I'm not saying there's some shady conspiracy, I'm saying I don't believe Joe has the capacity or energy to be deeply involved anymore.

Well, the original comment was that someone was "pulling his strings" and wondering whether they would allow him step aside and have Kamala take over.....

So maybe you can see my confusion....

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Well, the original comment was that someone was "pulling his strings" and wondering whether they would allow him step aside and have Kamala take over.....

So maybe you can see my confusion....

I don't feel the need to qualify agreement with everything someone posts in a long comment, sometimes I agree with the general gist.

I share a number of concerns with @Boudrias , some full on and some by degree.

Edited by Bob Long

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't feel the need to qualify agreement with everything someone posts in a long comment, sometimes I agree with the general gist.

I share a number of concerns with @Boudrias , some full on and some by degree.

That's fair enough, but I did actually bold the parts I was asking about. I would have expected something more along the lines of, "I don't agree with that, but...."

Anyway. I disagree with both of you anyway. Biden is prone to the occasional gaffe, but there are multiple reports of people meeting him one on one and saying he was sharp as ever. Those just don't get any mention, because they don't sell newspapers, or generate clicks.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

That's fair enough, but I did actually bold the parts I was asking about. I would have expected something more along the lines of, "I don't agree with that, but...."

Anyway. I disagree with both of you anyway. Biden is prone to the occasional gaffe, but there are multiple reports of people meeting him one on one and saying he was sharp as ever. Those just don't get any mention, because they don't sell newspapers, or generate clicks.

yea I don't know how much of that I would take to the bank. 

Look at it this way. We both know Trudeau isn't up on every policy detail, but I do think he's capable of handling a fair bit of information on an issue. Do you really think Biden could keep up e.g., on NAFTA 3.0 or some other critical issue? maybe today, but for how long? I think its a legit concern. 

25 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yea I don't know how much of that I would take to the bank. 

Look at it this way. We both know Trudeau isn't up on every policy detail, but I do think he's capable of handling a fair bit of information on an issue. Do you really think Biden could keep up e.g., on NAFTA 3.0 or some other critical issue? maybe today, but for how long? I think its a legit concern. 

Put it this way: I trust Biden to appoint someone competent in for those negotiations, much like Trudeau did. I also trust Biden to recognize when a deal is a net benefit. I trust Trump to do whatever benefits him personally....

As to "for how long", I don't share your concern. Reagan was clearly suffering from Alzheimers in his second term and the US managed to survive.

Besides which, I'm perfectly comfortable with Harris taking the reins, if JB truly can't complete his term. I've yet to see anything of substance that would make that the disaster that Faux News and Republicans say it would be....the only thing I ever see is, "she's unpopular"....

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Put it this way: I trust Biden to appoint someone competent in for those negotiations, much like Trudeau did. I also trust Biden to recognize when a deal is a net benefit. I trust Trump to do whatever benefits him personally....

As to "for how long", I don't share your concern. Reagan was clearly suffering from Alzheimers in his second term and the US managed to survive.

So I think this kind of gets to some of the concerns Boud's was getting at. Who was making the decisions for Regan? how open was that process? a lot of bad policy was made under that government. I think its not unreasonable to be concerned about something similar with Biden. 

OTOH "team Trudeau" is quite transparent in who's dealing with which file, in comparison. 

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Besides which, I'm perfectly comfortable with Harris taking the reins, if JB truly can't complete his term. I've yet to see anything of substance that would make that the disaster that Faux News and Republicans say it would be....the only thing I ever see is, "she's unpopular"....

Maybe you are, but most Americans do not seem to be: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/approval/kamala-harris/

I don't have a personal stake in it, I'm just looking at her unpopularity in her polling and hoping for someone people can actually be happy about. 

19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So I think this kind of gets to some of the concerns Boud's was getting at. Who was making the decisions for Regan? how open was that process? a lot of bad policy was made under that government. I think its not unreasonable to be concerned about something similar with Biden. 

OTOH "team Trudeau" is quite transparent in who's dealing with which file, in comparison. 

Maybe you are, but most Americans do not seem to be: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/approval/kamala-harris/

I don't have a personal stake in it, I'm just looking at her unpopularity in her polling and hoping for someone people can actually be happy about. 

It's not unreasonable to be concerned, but I honestly think the two of you are making way too much out of it.

The fact is, Biden's first term has been a success on virtually every metric, outside the southern border situation and the withdrawal from Afghanistan. Republicans keep desperately trying to paint this administration as a failure, but that doesn't really hold up under scrutiny.

IMO, you can worry about what might happen under a second Biden term, or you can worry about what will happen under a second Trump presidency. It should be an easy choice, IMO and this constant propping up of Republican talking points is just making the second option more likely.

As far as Harris goes, your posting of poll numbers proves exactly what I said. She won't make a good POTUS because people think she won't? Weakest argument ever, WADR....

40 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

The middle class was dying after that though 😉

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I would have said Trump gonna win back at the start of January but by now the GOP have sufficiently shot themselves in the foot ten times over that it will take something really out of left field for Trump to win.

The whole border thing went out of the window for Trump after the GOP killed its own border bill with the instructions from Trump. All Biden have to do to counter those attacks now is to point to the fact gop killed the fix, not him. 

The IVF debacle in Alabama revives abortion attack again against Trump and GOP post Roe v Wade. This one is even worse as it is gonna affect those that wanted babies above all else. 

The whole shannigan with Biden impeachment where their keystone claim turns out to be Russian disinformation. 

The stock market at all time high with sentiment around economy turning around for the better. 

Probably the only thing people gonna complain about is smaller tax return/higher taxes and that was on Trump  as his tax cuts in 2017 permanently cut taxes to ultra wealthy while those same tax cuts are scheduled to expire and be raised this year for the middle class.

I guess muslim armerican anger over gaza is a flashpoint but I think when push come to shove in November those segments would realize how much Trump would be worse for that whole situation than Biden. 

Exist polls showing almost half of Haley voters would never vote for Trump in the general also doesn't help Trump's chances. 

Edited by 24K
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, 24K said:

I would have said Trump gonna win back at the start of January but by now the GOP have sufficiently shot themselves in the foot ten times over that it will take something really out of left field for Trump to win.

The whole border thing went out of the window for Trump after the GOP killed its own border bill with the instructions from Trump. All Biden have to do to counter those attacks now is to point to the fact gop killed the fix, not him. 

The IVF debacle in Alabama revives abortion attack again against Trump and GOP post Roe v Wade. This one is even worse as it is gonna affect those that wanted babies above all else. 

The whole shannigan with Biden impeachment where their keystone claim turns out to be Russian disinformation. 

The stock market at all time high with sentiment around economy turning around for the better. 

Probably the only thing people gonna complain about is smaller tax return/higher taxes and that was on Trump to as his tax cuts in 2017 permanently cut taxes to ultra wealthy while those same tax cuts are scheduled to expire and be raised this year for the middle class.

I guess muslim armerican anger over gaza is a flashpoint but I think when push come to shove in November those segments would realize how much Trump would be worse for that while situation than Biden. 

Exist polls showing almost half of Haley voters would never vote for Trump in the general also doesn't help Trump's chances. 

And yet: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/

I'm not as confident, I do hope that you are correct.