US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Mitch McConnell, the longest-serving Senate leader in history who maintained his power in the face of dramatic convulsions in the Republican Party for almost two decades, will step down from that position in November.

https://apnews.com/article/mitch-mcconnell-senate-republican-leader-stepping-down-ba478d570a4561aa7baf91a204d7e366

I predict a day in the near future where people will miss him, compared to the person from the GOP that replaces him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Satchmo said:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Mitch McConnell, the longest-serving Senate leader in history who maintained his power in the face of dramatic convulsions in the Republican Party for almost two decades, will step down from that position in November.

https://apnews.com/article/mitch-mcconnell-senate-republican-leader-stepping-down-ba478d570a4561aa7baf91a204d7e366

I'm guessing he knows that if Bone Spurs wins, he will seek retribution for McConnell not toeing the MAGA line, and if Biden is re-elected he won't have a lot of influence anyway....especially if the Senate stays in Democrat hands.

He'll just say "My work here is done", knowing that he is the reason for the conservative majority on the Supreme Court and by extension, the killing of Roe v Wade....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Satchmo said:

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I predict a day in the near future where people will miss him, compared to the person from the GOP that replaces him. 

The current Senate leadership behind McConnell is John Thune, Joni Ernst, John Barasso, Shelley Caputo and Steve Daines.

As the party whip, I'd give the edge to Thune, but I think it's more likely that McConnell will be replaced by whomever kisses Trump's ass the longest and loudest....

• ThereItIs 3

Republicans advancing some pretty draconian ideas about border security in AZ.....

https://www.axios.com/2024/02/27/arizona-gop-bill-rancher-migrant-kill

Republicans in the Arizona legislature are advancing a bill that would make it legal to kill migrants who cross private property, according to a new report.

Arizona state law already allows property owners to use deadly force against home invaders. This bill would go a step further by expanding authorization of deadly force against anyone who even sets foot on private land without permission, as well as any structure on that land, "occupied or not."

This legislation comes amid a nationally followed case in which George Alan Kelly, a rancher in Santa Cruz County on the Arizona border, was charged with murder after allegedly shooting a Mexican immigrant named Gabriel Cuen-Buitimea in the back, as he sought to cross over into the U.S. to find work. Kelly, whose trial is set to begin next month, has become a rallying cry for Republicans who view him as a hero.

:classic_dry:

• Thanks 2

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/us-rep-lauren-boebert-s-son-arrested-in-connection-with-string-of-vehicle-break-ins-police-say/ar-BB1j3jBO?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=bf54ac6058f7416c9c7439e30fc868aa&ei=18

"

DENVER (AP) — The oldest son of U.S. Rep. Lauren Boebert was in a Colorado jail on Wednesday after being arrested in connection with a recent string of vehicle break-ins and property thefts.

Tyler Jay Boebert, 18, was arrested Tuesday afternoon and is facing possible felony charges of criminal possession of identification documents involving multiple victims and conspiracy to commit a felony, the Rifle Police Department said in a statement. He also faces over 15 additional misdemeanor and petty offenses, it said.

Jail records say other charges he is being held on include theft of less than $300, criminal possession of a financial device and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

----------------

mal

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/us-rep-lauren-boebert-s-son-arrested-in-connection-with-string-of-vehicle-break-ins-police-say/ar-BB1j3jBO?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=bf54ac6058f7416c9c7439e30fc868aa&ei=18

"

DENVER (AP) — The oldest son of U.S. Rep. Lauren Boebert was in a Colorado jail on Wednesday after being arrested in connection with a recent string of vehicle break-ins and property thefts.

Tyler Jay Boebert, 18, was arrested Tuesday afternoon and is facing possible felony charges of criminal possession of identification documents involving multiple victims and conspiracy to commit a felony, the Rifle Police Department said in a statement. He also faces over 15 additional misdemeanor and petty offenses, it said.

Jail records say other charges he is being held on include theft of less than $300, criminal possession of a financial device and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

----------------

mal

What's hilarious is she was tweeting about the Biden Crime Family prior to this news.  Ooops

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Trump must come up with the full bond amount to cover the $454 million civil fraud trial judgment, appeals court judge rules

Former President Donald Trump must come up with the full bond amount to cover the $454 million verdict in the civil fraud trial, an appeals court judge ruled Wednesday.

Associate Justice Anil Singh, however, lifted a ban on Trump’s ability to obtain loans from a New York bank, which could allow him to access the equity in his assets to back the full bond amount.

Singh denied Trump’s request to delay his obligation to post $454 million until a full appellate panel hears his motion to stay enforcement of that judgment until his appeals of the civil fraud ruling are over.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/28/politics/donald-trump-appeals-court-new-york/index.html

Thought I'd comment on this here.

I think this judgement is reasonable.

TRUMP has to post the full bond.

Allowing TRUMP access to New York banks in order to post the bond is totally reasonable.  With how his properties are leveraged, it may still be very difficult for him to finance the bond.  If I was a bank, I would demand a significant premium to even consider him.

• Cheers 4

21 minutes ago, Gurn said:

"

----------------

mal

Biden made me do it. 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

This has Ted Cruz written all over it even though he is despised in his own conference. If Dotard backs him it’s his. 

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

This has Ted Cruz written all over it even though he is despised in his own conference. If Dotard backs him it’s his. 

I doubt Ted would want it. It'll be some lackey thats only there to disrupt things. Maybe the GOP finally gets its extended government shutdown.