US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/lgbtq-advocacy-group-sues-texas-ag-says-it-won-t-identify-transgender-families/ar-BB1j7zEN?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=68ed7d0268504be5a2b228cf7b7b15a8&ei=38

"

Anational LGBTQ+ advocacy group is suing the Texas Attorney General's office rather than hand over information about its support of transgender children receiving gender-confirming medical care.

According to the lawsuit filed Wednesday in Texas court, PFLAG National says Republican Attorney General Ken Paxton's office is demanding “documents and communications” related to a sworn statement the group's CEO Brian Bond provided to a court last year while opposing the state's transgender youth medical care ban.

Bond's statement at the time detailed how many PFLAG members had set up contingency plans should their child's medical care be cut off, ranging from finding resources to move out of state to finding alternative care inside Texas. Bond's affidavit was submitted shortly after Republican Gov. Greg Abbott signed a sweeping gender-affirming care ban for minors.

The lawsuit alleges that the attorney general is “seeking to determine which Texas families are seeking to access gender-affirming care for their transgender adolescents.”

PFLAG is asking the state court to block Paxton’s request.

"This mean-spirited demand from the Attorney General’s Office is petty and invasive, which is why we want the court to put an end to it,” Bond said in a statement.

Texas has a history of battling PFLAG in court. The state in 2022 adopted a policy of investigating families of transgender children who have received gender-affirming care as child abuse cases. Later that year, a judge blocked the investigations against the families and barred any similar investigations against members of PFLAG.

---------------------

more at link

---------------------------

ps 

Ken Paxton is currently under indictment for over 5 years, and under FBI investigation.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

'Mental midget!' Trump throws a fit in 'unhinged' rant over verbal slip-ups

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-mental-midget-biden/

Totally digging up the past, right @Wiggums.  How can you seriously think that this lunatic is fit to hold any kind of public office when he consistently demonstrates that he's not capable of acting like an adult?  I've heard more coherent rants from people high on mushrooms.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/e-jean-carroll-asks-court-to-reject-trump-s-trust-me-promise-on-83m-verdict/ar-BB1j7JUR?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=dc866696d92b487db396308679eb7fc1&ei=78

"

Roberta A. Kaplan, an attorney for E. Jean Carroll, filed a legal memorandum objecting to Donald Trump's request to stay an $83.3 million judgment against him.

U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan previously denied Trump's request for a stay and gave both parties a chance to respond.

---------

"

Carroll's attorney pointed to a New York court rule that "does not authorize fully unsecured stays."

"But what Trump proposes here is nothing at all. In support of his position, he fails to cite a single controlling (or even persuasive) case," the filing said. "This is an independently sufficient reason to deny Trump's motion. Under the plain language of Rule 62(b), and persuasive authority interpreting it, an entirely unsecured stay is not permissible."

ALSO READ: ‘Grab any cheerleaders?’ Fans decry Trump’s S.C. football appearance as a ‘terrible look’

"With respect to Trump's ability to pay (factors three and four), Trump asks the Court to simply trust that he's very rich—and that posting a bond (or other collateral) would therefore be a waste of money," the document continued.

The attorney for Carroll observed that Trump was recently hit with a $454 million judgment in a New York fraud case."

----------------------

mal

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Too bad Laura's parents didn't choose to abort this piece of s*it.

Getting this piece of shit out of government and preventing her from inflicting her barbaric beliefs on children would be a great step towards protecting children.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Getting this piece of shit out of government and preventing her from inflicting her barbaric beliefs on children would be a great step towards protecting children.  

Well I don't think she is in government.  The lady who chastised her for lying seemed like a public official.

She's part of Cincinnati chapter of Right To Life.  This is a headline to an article on their website:  

Leftists Say They Don’t Like Late-Term Abortions But Then Lament They Can’t Kill More Babies After 34 Weeks

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Democrats' 'Shrinkflation' Bill Would Crack Down On Practice At Grocery Stores

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/shrinkflation-bill-grocery-stores_n_65e0ae5fe4b0d2a247586441

Lawmakers want to make it an unfair trade practice when companies shrink food and household products but keep the price the same.

I have my doubts that they'll even garner enough votes in their own party.  The Democrats regularly out-raise Republicans even with corporate donations.

That's why the same sell-outs want to get the Citizens United decision that they championed, reversed.  When you buy politicians your return on investment is assured no matter the letter next to their name.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/29/us/politics/citizens-united-republicans.html

*** It's paywalled.  If anybody here doesn't already have a subscription to the Times, install a browser extension like for example, "Bypass Paywalls Clean". ***

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I have my doubts that they'll even garner enough votes in their own party.  The Democrats regularly out-raise Republicans even with corporate donations.

That's why the same sell-outs want to get the Citizens United decision that they championed, reversed.  When you buy politicians your return on investment is assured no matter the letter next to their name.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/29/us/politics/citizens-united-republicans.html

*** It's paywalled.  If anybody here doesn't already have a subscription to the Times, install a browser extension like for example, "Bypass Paywalls Clean". ***

Or just copy the URL into archive.is.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Totally digging up the past, right @Wiggums.  How can you seriously think that this lunatic is fit to hold any kind of public office when he consistently demonstrates that he's not capable of acting like an adult?  I've heard more coherent rants from people high on mushrooms.

Mhm and Tocchet and Alvin are both scum who don't know how to act professionally, McDavid is a locker room cancer, Nurse is a coward who belongs in a womens league, Trump and PP both lunatics.  Phil Diguissepe disgraces our franchise blah blah blah.  You hate everybody lol

• Desmenko 1

21 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I agree. That being said, in November, I would like the American public to know if they are casting a vote for a convicted felon or not. This is what Trump is trying to avoid and unfortunately, the courts seem determined to help him do so....

SCOTUS rulings can have as much, or more, force than regular federal laws do.  The issue of the extent of presidential immunity is too important to leave up to the fractured lower courts.

The SCOTUS isn't likely to give presidents blanket immunity for life.  That would just cause chaos by short term dictators.  They also aren't likely to say a president can be prosecuted for everything that he does in office once he gets out.  That would cause indecision for future presidents.  Every decision would need to go through teams of lawyers.

I'm curious not only what their ruling will be, but how they will word it.  Will they go into the minutia of Trump's pending charges or will they stick only broadly to the actual issue of presidential immunity.

They expedited the case which means they'll most likely also expedite the ruling.  If the majority opinion addresses the actual charges against Trump, this could backfire on him.  If, like I expect, it's just going to be a more broad ruling on the issue of the extent of presidential immunity, it just helps Trump's effort to drag this past election day.

2 hours ago, Wiggums said:

Mhm and Tocchet and Alvin are both scum who don't know how to act professionally, McDavid is a locker room cancer, Nurse is a coward who belongs in a womens league, Trump and PP both lunatics.  Phil Diguissepe disgraces our franchise blah blah blah.  You hate everybody lol

On topic, what excuse would you like to make for Agent Orange's unhinged rant here?  Do you seriously think this conduct is acceptable?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

SCOTUS rulings can have as much, or more, force than regular federal laws do.  The issue of the extent of presidential immunity is too important to leave up to the fractured lower courts.

The SCOTUS isn't likely to give presidents blanket immunity for life.  That would just cause chaos by short term dictators.  They also aren't likely to say a president can be prosecuted for everything that he does in office once he gets out.  That would cause indecision for future presidents.  Every decision would need to go through teams of lawyers.

I'm curious not only what their ruling will be, but how they will word it.  Will they go into the minutia of Trump's pending charges or will they stick only broadly to the actual issue of presidential immunity.

They expedited the case which means they'll most likely also expedite the ruling.  If the majority opinion addresses the actual charges against Trump, this could backfire on him.  If, like I expect, it's just going to be a more broad ruling on the issue of the extent of presidential immunity, it just helps Trump's effort to drag this past election day.

Then why did they kick it back to those "fractured lower courts" when Jack Smith asked them to take up the case two months ago?

Spin it however you like. The FACT is, if this is so important, SCOTUS could have ruled on it already. Instead, they kicked the can down the road....exactly as Trump wanted them to....

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

On topic, what excuse would you like to make for Agent Orange's unhinged rant here?  Do you seriously think this conduct is acceptable?

Did you even watch it?  It wasn't unhinged or incoherent.  He just pointed out more lies and disinformation from the left

Trump was talking to someone in the crowd named Mercedes so Biden's handlers told him to go out on national t.v and say Trump forgot his wife's name .

Rawstory and mediate headlines are far left trash written by trolls

• Desmenko 1

1 minute ago, Wiggums said:

Did you even watch it?  It wasn't unhinged or incoherent.  He just pointed out more lies and disinformation from the left

Trump was talking to someone in the crowd named Mercedes so Biden's handlers told him to go out on national t.v and say Trump forgot his wife's name .

I absolutely watched it.  Like I said, I have seen people high on hallucinogens more in touch with reality than Trump was in that video.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Wiggums said:

Do you live in Canada or someplace else?

5 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Do you live in Canada or someplace else?

Canada’s got some too.  I was fishing beside one on the river this past fall.  Wouldn’t stop yakking about Trump being persecuted, misunderstood etc…Despite the great fishing I packed up and left.  I’d rather catch less fish than have to listen to that garbage.

• Huggy Bear 1