US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

42 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The Rapping Grannie's bit was painful 🤢.....

Same with the Brazilian guy. Talk about drinking the Kool-Aid.....does he not see the irony of an immigrant spouting the kind of propaganda he's parroting? :classic_huh:

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, coho8888 said:

Canada’s got some too.  I was fishing beside one on the river this past fall.  Wouldn’t stop yakking about Trump being persecuted, misunderstood etc…Despite the great fishing I packed up and left.  I’d rather catch less fish than have to listen to that garbage.

I live in the U.S so I run into Trump voters every day, lot of my friends support him as well. 

What puzzles me is why any Canadian would be high on Trump considering that this guy would not hesitate to harm Canada economically. I have always been country before party kind of a guy. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I live in the U.S so I run into Trump voters every day, lot of my friends support him as well. 

What puzzles me is why any Canadian would be high on Trump considering that this guy would not hesitate to harm Canada economically. I have always been country before party kind of a guy. 

The Trump supporters in Canada tend to be in more rural places (like where I live). Just because we're a different country, it doesn't mean these same people are going to even consider that Trump will destroy their livelihoods. To them, Trump can do no harm and they would support him while taking all the bullets for him... even with Trump holding the shotgun.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Hunter Biden who lived on east coast, took his laptop across the country, to be repaired by legally blind guy who somehow recognized him. Honestly anyone who believed in this story is dumber than a box of rocks. 

Fox News has entered the chat…

25 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Alberta = Texas (and many parts of the BC interior).  I can't comment on the East (since I've never lived there; only visited)

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Alberta = Texas (and many parts of the BC interior).  I can't comment on the East (since I've never lived there; only visited)

Eastern Canada (Atlantic Region) does not have nearly the number of morans as Alberta. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I get that, but don’t they care more about their country than person or ideology from another country.

If Trump was conservative that “cared” about Canada sure, but this guy could give two shits about Alberta or Canada. Like how would they benefit from him winning? It would hurt their own economy.

Edited by CBH1926
  • ThereItIs 1

I don't know how people keep falling for this MAGA crap. It's dumbfounding. I didn't think people were so dense before this started.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

You keep saying the same thing over and over, without addressing the main point of what I'm saying. Jack Smith asked them to rule on this case and they said no. Now they're saying yes.

Tell me what I'm missing, because the only thing that I can see has changed, is that a couple of months have passed.....:classic_unsure:

Jack Smith is just another lawyer to the SCOTUS.  He has no special connection with them.  Cases brought to the Supreme Court normally take years to get there after meticulous litigation.  This case reached SCOTUS within months.

The district court that SCOTUS originally kicked the case back into is a fairly hostile one for Trump.  The presiding judge (Tanya Chutkan) over Trump's case has harshly punished the January 6th criminals that she has sentenced.

Here's a 90 second excerpt from an article I Googled for you to read at your convenience.  It's titled "The Supreme Court Doesn’t Give a Damn About Jack Smith’s Timeline (and It Shouldn’t)"

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/why-supreme-court-ignored-jack-smith-trump-prosecution-timeline.html

We’ve seen widespread consternation directed at the Supreme Court for its decision to grant certiorari (to take the case, that is) on Trump’s immunity claim. No doubt this development vastly improves the former president’s chances of avoiding trial until after the election. But it’s wrong to attribute the Court’s decision to nefarious intent or some grand plan to help Trump skirt the law.

Let’s be clear here: On the whole, this case is proceeding on a normal (or, if anything, expedited) timeline. Smith filed his indictment in August 2023, and it’s exceedingly rare for a federal indictment of this scope and complexity — with discovery including over 13 million pages of documents and thousands of hours of video — to get to trial in less than a year and a half. And it’s fast, if anything, for the Court to grant certiorari within three weeks of the filing of a petition and then to hear oral arguments less than two months later. CNN’s Supreme Court expert, Joan Biskupic, notes that “overall, the timetable is fast compared to the regular calendar for high-court briefing.” If there were no election around the corner, nobody would raise an eyebrow at the pace of this case or the Court’s decision to take it. Certainly, the Court has declined to expedite the case to Smith’s liking, but that’s not the same as delaying it.

It requires a combination of armchair psychology and conclusory narrative generation to argue that the Court somehow wants to do Trump a solid and decided to take the immunity case just to prevent a preelection trial. The justices all have life tenure, of course, and they don’t owe Trump a thing; I suspect they all see him fundamentally as a clown (except maybe Clarence Thomas; he may be genuinely enamored). There’s nothing Trump can do to help or hurt any of them, even if he is reelected. And this same Court has famously rejected many cases to Trump’s personal and political detriment — including his bogus challenges to the 2020 election — often to gleeful cheers about how “Trump’s own judges” refuse to do his bidding.

• Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

5 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Keystone XL. Any moron knows it was good for both countries.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Jack Smith is just another lawyer to the SCOTUS.  He has no special connection with them.  Cases brought to the Supreme Court normally take years to get there after meticulous litigation.  This case reached SCOTUS within months.

The district court that SCOTUS originally kicked the case back into is a fairly hostile one for Trump.  The presiding judge (Tanya Chutkan) over Trump's case has harshly punished the January 6th criminals that she has sentenced.

Here's a 90 second excerpt from an article I Googled for you to read at your convenience.  It's titled "The Supreme Court Doesn’t Give a Damn About Jack Smith’s Timeline (and It Shouldn’t)"

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/why-supreme-court-ignored-jack-smith-trump-prosecution-timeline.html

So basically Jack Smith brought on this indictment in August 2023. What exactly prevented him from bringing the indictment in August of 2022?  

Seems like if he wanted to go after Trump it could have been done a lot sooner so that they could overcome any delays in the process, which is happening now. 

At the end of the day, I don’t think any of the criminal court cases will be completed before the election. Huge mistake by these lawyers. 

• Cheers 1

I hate politics and even more so politicians, just remember, if you're presented with two plates (or more in the case of Canada) of shit it doesn't matter which one you pick you're still eating shit.

• chaos 2

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So basically Jack Smith brought on this indictment in August 2023. What exactly prevented him from bringing the indictment in August of 2022?  

Seems like if he wanted to go after Trump it could have been done a lot sooner so that they could overcome any delays in the process, which is happening now. 

At the end of the day, I don’t think any of the criminal court cases will be completed before the election. Huge mistake by these lawyers. 

These lawsuits are all politically motivated.  They were specifically designed to put up as roadblocks to Trump being re-elected.  They're draining him of time and resources. 

Had the Democratic Party been smarter, they would have engineered the onslaught of lawsuits and indictments earlier like you said and the rank and file people in their party were yelling for.  If Grandpa Joe Biden was still mentally with us here on Earth, the plan would probably be working better than it currently is.  I'm astonished that people of today's short attention spans haven't been affected with "Trump fatigue" yet.

I'm just hoping they didn't crack open Pandora's Box with this presidential immunity hearing going before the Supreme Court.  That has the potential for very long term negative consequences.  The justices aren't dummies though so I'm betting the final majority ruling will be cautiously worded and very nuanced no matter where the final decision falls.

I don't like Trump as a person because of the people he hurt before he jumped into politics, but as I said in 2016 when everyone was dooming and glooming, the US will survive just fine with Donald Trump as president.  Especially since he would be pre-occupied with going after the people who are now going after him.  Washington DC will pretty much just be a slightly bigger sh*tshow than it already is now and has been for decades.

• Cheers 1
  • Desmenko 1

8 hours ago, Joshrips said:

Keystone XL. Any moron knows it was good for both countries.

That might explain feelings in Alberta which is so reliant on oil revenue.

But that doesn’t explain folks living in other provinces that see more limited benefits of the pipeline.

TBH, any moron knows that Trump would use that same pipeline to blackmail you or slap some tariffs to hurt Canada's economy.