US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

That might explain feelings in Alberta which is so reliant on oil revenue.

But that doesn’t explain folks living in other provinces that see more limited benefits of the pipeline.

TBH, any moron knows that Trump would use that same pipeline to blackmail you or slap some tariffs to hurt Canada's economy. 

If Canada would just build it's own refineries, it would have a huge upper-hand over the US when it comes to oil.  We get most of our imported oil from Canada, not the Middle East.  

If Canada grew it's population much faster and stopped being the world's raw materials resource, and used those materials to create finished products, it would become a economic world power. 

It just blows my mind that Canada continues to economically operate like it is still a territory.  Your political leaders, over the past century, should have reformed the way Canada operates in the world's economy.  It's criminal that none of them ever did.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

If Canada would just build it's own refineries, it would have a huge upper-hand over the US when it comes to oil.  We get most of our imported oil from Canada, not the Middle East.  

If Canada grew it's population much faster and stopped being the world's raw materials resource, and used those materials to create finished products, it would become a economic world power. 

It just blows my mind that Canada continues to economically operate like it is still a territory.  Your political leaders, over the past century, should have reformed the way Canada operates in the world's economy.  It's criminal that none of them ever did.

we've done basically "just enough" to remain in the G8, but yep, you pretty much nailed it. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

When you have Liberal and Conservative governments what do you expect. We lost thousands of factory jobs to "free trade", our Provinces want everything for themselves, especially Alberta. We haven't had forward thinking leaders ever.

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I used to ask people, who is our top source of oil, majority said KSA or ME.

Just like most folks don’t know but last year Mexico surpassed China as number 1 place where we get the goods from. But yeah, I agree with your post Canada has taken a role like Russia in Europe. Big exporter of raw material, I think someone referred to Russia as a giant gas station.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Funny part about refineries, people tell me it would take a little under 10 years to get on approved, built and running- so there is no time.

And I've been hearing that for 30 years, and more.

• ThereItIs 1
  • chaos 1

21 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Funny part about refineries, people tell me it would take a little under 10 years to get on approved, built and running- so there is no time.

And I've been hearing that for 30 years, and more.

Strange that all during this time, we've had Liberal and Conservative governments. For those who think the Conservatives are resource thinking leaders, what did Stephen Harper do in his time in office?

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

These lawsuits are all politically motivated.  They were specifically designed to put up as roadblocks to Trump being re-elected.  They're draining him of time and resources. 

Had the Democratic Party been smarter, they would have engineered the onslaught of lawsuits and indictments earlier like you said and the rank and file people in their party were yelling for.  If Grandpa Joe Biden was still mentally with us here on Earth, the plan would probably be working better than it currently is.  I'm astonished that people of today's short attention spans haven't been affected with "Trump fatigue" yet.

I'm just hoping they didn't crack open Pandora's Box with this presidential immunity hearing going before the Supreme Court.  That has the potential for very long term negative consequences.  The justices aren't dummies though so I'm betting the final majority ruling will be cautiously worded and very nuanced no matter where the final decision falls.

I don't like Trump as a person because of the people he hurt before he jumped into politics, but as I said in 2016 when everyone was dooming and glooming, the US will survive just fine with Donald Trump as president.  Especially since he would be pre-occupied with going after the people who are now going after him.  Washington DC will pretty much just be a slightly bigger sh*tshow than it already is now and has been for decades.

Speaking of pandora’s boxes being open, I think biggest one opened up between 2016-20.

My personal opinion of Trump is that the guy is one giant piece of shit, your typical loud mouth jagoff from N.Y.

With that out of the way, let me talk about his politics.

What his lasting legacy is going to be is the fact that he undermined every institution and foundation of this country.

Institutions that make us different than the tribal areas of northwest Pakistan or clans of Somalia.

He also tried delegitimization of the election results which is very dangerous.

We both know that gerrymandering and some minor election shenanigans occur, I live in Illinois I know,.

But to say that the election was stolen and to repeat the same lies for the last 4 years is disturbing.

There are millions of people in this country that truly believe that this took place.

Years ago, lunatic fringe was relegated to dark corners of the web and media.

Ideas of Andrew Anglin, Alex Jones, William Pierce, Richard Spencer, Matt Hale, Dinesh D’Souza,  etc. started to go mainstream and some of them even being parroted by the president of the United States.

Lot of people in this country grew up with “if the president says it, it must be true”

And this whole swamp and deep state nonsense entered the mainstream.

I am not even getting into how Trump’s asinine ideas will get more shit started around the globe.

Like you, I do believe that we shouldn’t be the world’s policeman and we should mind our own business.

But you know as well as I do, if this guy wins and shit hits the fan overseas, we are getting involved no matter what. Guy that used and uses creatures like Kari Lake, Mike Lindell, Steve Bannon, Sidney Powell, Rudy Giuliani, MTG etc. doesn’t get my vote. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Strange that all during this time, we've had Liberal and Conservative governments. For those who think the Conservatives are resource thinking leaders, what did Stephen Harper do in his time in office?

Do you think that the NDP would have made us a global industry powerhouse?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Do you think that the NDP would have made us a global industry powerhouse?

Probably not, but this country has so many territorial issues to begin with. We don't have the population to begin with.

11 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Jack Smith is just another lawyer to the SCOTUS.  He has no special connection with them.  Cases brought to the Supreme Court normally take years to get there after meticulous litigation.  This case reached SCOTUS within months.

The district court that SCOTUS originally kicked the case back into is a fairly hostile one for Trump.  The presiding judge (Tanya Chutkan) over Trump's case has harshly punished the January 6th criminals that she has sentenced.

Here's a 90 second excerpt from an article I Googled for you to read at your convenience.  It's titled "The Supreme Court Doesn’t Give a Damn About Jack Smith’s Timeline (and It Shouldn’t)"

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/why-supreme-court-ignored-jack-smith-trump-prosecution-timeline.html

I agree that they don't give a shit....that has been proven time and again.

FTR, I understand and agree with everything Honig says, but none of this explains why they declined to hear the case in December and then changed their minds now.

Nobody has been able to answer that question for me. Honig doubts that they're running interference for Trump, but there must be a reason for the change of heart. I'd just like to know what that reason is, and I'd wager so would a lot of Americans. (present company excepted, apparently)

If the SCOTUS Justices actually care about their public perception and approval rating (and the complaining from the likes of Roberts, Alito and ACB suggests they do) they aren't doing themselves any favors here.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I hate politics and even more so politicians, just remember, if you're presented with two plates (or more in the case of Canada) of shit it doesn't matter which one you pick you're still eating shit.

This is true. However there are some people who spend their entire days in these political threads trying to convince us that their favourite shit tastes better than the other shit. Why that is I have no idea. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Or is it just barely possible that people who spend time in political threads have an interest in politics?

I know what he means though, I often go to the Mafia or Chess threads to point out how stupid those threads are. Oh no wait a minute, I don’t know anything about either so I don’t do that because that would be…what’s the word I’m looking for?…Dumb?

Sure I agree. People have interest in politics. I get it. However, there is interest in politics and then there is an obsession to spend your entire day in political threads constantly criticizing the shit you don’t like as well as obsessively attacking the people who like the other shit you hate. 

Does this type of behaviour happen in the Mafia and Chess threads? 

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure I agree. People have interest in politics. I get it. However, there is interest in politics and then there is an obsession to spend your entire day in political threads constantly criticizing the shit you don’t like as well as obsessively attacking the people who like the other shit you hate. 

Look at the Canucks threads and people doing the same thing over there rather than comparing it to the Mafia and Chess threads.

Make a real comparison. I'd even argue the Canucks threads are sometimes even worse than here which is why I personally ended up here in the 1st place.

Why do you think a forum exists? So we can all hold hands and sing koombaya?

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I hate politics and even more so politicians, just remember, if you're presented with two plates (or more in the case of Canada) of shit it doesn't matter which one you pick you're still eating shit.

A lazy (and inaccurate) depiction. There are clear differences between the two choices.....

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'd just like to point out that Jack Smith was appointed Special Prosecutor in November of 2022......

https://www.justice.gov/sco-smith

.....so Indicting Trump in August of 2022 would have required time travel. Smith is good, but he's not that good.

image.gif.2a6f8b7985c8cb4693689a0ed638daa9.gif

He still would have needed time to be able to provide a solid case to be fair. It probably wouldn't have been wise to indict and then gather the evidence. 

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

These lawsuits are all politically motivated.  They were specifically designed to put up as roadblocks to Trump being re-elected.  They're draining him of time and resources. 

Had the Democratic Party been smarter, they would have engineered the onslaught of lawsuits and indictments earlier like you said and the rank and file people in their party were yelling for.  If Grandpa Joe Biden was still mentally with us here on Earth, the plan would probably be working better than it currently is.  I'm astonished that people of today's short attention spans haven't been affected with "Trump fatigue" yet.

I'm just hoping they didn't crack open Pandora's Box with this presidential immunity hearing going before the Supreme Court.  That has the potential for very long term negative consequences.  The justices aren't dummies though so I'm betting the final majority ruling will be cautiously worded and very nuanced no matter where the final decision falls.

I don't like Trump as a person because of the people he hurt before he jumped into politics, but as I said in 2016 when everyone was dooming and glooming, the US will survive just fine with Donald Trump as president.  Especially since he would be pre-occupied with going after the people who are now going after him.  Washington DC will pretty much just be a slightly bigger sh*tshow than it already is now and has been for decades.

The Jack Smith cases are not lawsuits. They're criminal Indictments that were handed down by non-partisan Grand Juries.....

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Look at the Canucks threads and people doing the same thing over there rather than comparing it to the Mafia and Chess threads.

Make a real comparison. I'd even argue the Canucks threads are sometimes even worse than here which is why I personally ended up here in the 1st place.

Why do you think a forum exists? So we can all hold hands and sing koombaya?

As someone who spends the majority of time in the hockey threads, I can tell you that the amount of crap and obsessive attacks is much more prevalent in the political threads than in the hockey threads. 

Also, the hockey threads weren’t the ones that got closed at the old CDC forum and had to be moved into a private section because of how bad the discussions were. Also, in the hockey threads the mods don’t have to put out warnings to everyone to get along and stop attacking each other. 

I am pretty sure you can have a debate with another poster or posters without the personal attacks and denigration and vitriol that happens in the political threads. There are several posters in here who are quite capable of doing this.  

• Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Would you feel differently if everyone here agreed with you?   Please take a second to objectively consider your reply before posting it.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

These lawsuits are all politically motivated. 

False.   I would say some are but the case for election interference is not.  IMHO that is the one that cannot be ignored.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Would you feel differently if everyone here agreed with you?   Please take a second to objectively consider your reply before posting it.

I never said people all had to agree with each other. So not sure why you are bringing that up. Please take a second to think about that and what my actual point was before you reply. 

• Desmenko 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

As someone who spends the majority of time in the hockey threads, I can tell you that the amount of crap and obsessive attacks is much more prevalent in the political threads than in the hockey threads. 

Also, the hockey threads weren’t the ones that got closed at the old CDC forum and had to be moved into a private section because of how bad the discussions were. Also, in the hockey threads the mods don’t have to put out warnings to everyone to get along and stop attacking each other. 

I am pretty sure you can have a debate with another poster or posters without the personal attacks and denigration and vitriol that happens in the political threads. There are several posters in here who are quite capable of doing this.  

You can yes, I've done it myself with posters both side. However, you have to generally give to get. Even if someone attacks at first, your response generally will dictate how it goes. If you lash back at the person, the response is not going to be great. If, however, you listen to what the other person is saying and actually give a constructive response, you will mostly end up with a great conversation with the other side.

Yet, a lot of people don't seem to realise this. They react thinking it's on the other person to respond with the respect they want and then complain when they lash out back at the person. The phrase "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" has a lot of merit here, just most people when they post their opinion don't follow that and feel threatened when their opinion gets challenged.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I never said people all had to agree with each other. So not sure why you are bringing that up. Please take a second to think about that and what my actual point was before you reply. 

I always do....

This is that statement I  had to think about in this case:  "However, there is interest in politics and then there is an obsession to spend your entire day in political threads constantly criticizing the shit you don’t like as well as obsessively attacking the people who like the other shit you hate. "

Maybe I thought about it and came to the wrong conclusion but it sure just sounded like sour grapes to me.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I always do....

This is that statement I  had to think about in this case:  "However, there is interest in politics and then there is an obsession to spend your entire day in political threads constantly criticizing the shit you don’t like as well as obsessively attacking the people who like the other shit you hate. "

Maybe I thought about it and came to the wrong conclusion but it sure just sounded like sour grapes to me.

Pointing out a fact isn't sour grapes.  It's called pointing out a fact.  If you don't agree with it, that's your opinion, and you are allowed to have an opinion.  Again, saying I have sour grapes goes back to trying to attack the poster once again instead of actually trying to have a debate...

• Cheers 1