US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Did he forget, or did he just decide to chop off a sentence rather than stumble over the remaining words?

And don't be too hard on yourself, lots of other people don't know a lot, about those that stutter.

You can easily watch tape of Biden when he was younger and his stuttering problem. That’s not the issue today. It’s memory loss. Even the special counsel confirmed this. Unless you believe that there is a conspiracy theory and Robert Hur is secretly working for Trump. I believe that Merrick Garland, Biden’s AG, is the one that hired Robert Hur.  Correct? 

• Desmenko 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup. Old Joe is far better than the big orange Moran. 

Dementia Don might be the one that has a hard time making it to any debate.

He might think he is about to debate Obama and will be looking over his shoulder for that evil Nancy Pelosi Nikki Haley

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 112 said:

I think you're building a strawman here. Biden's slip-ups are (allegedly) aligned with normal ageing and not a concern for the prospect of dementia. What Trump is doing (mistaking Biden for Obama, calling things by absurd names (Venezwheregullah), etc.) is supposedly a concern for dementia. I'm talking about the specific nature of the gaffes, not general memory lapses or what-have-you. The type of error being made by Trump seems to demonstrate dementia according to what I've read from experts recently.

That’s not what Robert Hur said. You know the special counsel that Merrick Garland hired to investigate Biden?  

He said Biden couldn’t even remember when he was Vice President and when his son died.  What exactly does that have to do with stuttering or normal ageing? Wouldn’t that be classified as “memory loss”? 

I remember the exact day and time my father passed away. Same with my mother. I even remember exactly who I was with and what I was wearing. The memory is that strong. And my father died in 1997. So it’s not like it was recent. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Huggy Bear 2
  • Desmenko 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s not what Robert Hur said. You know the special counsel that Merrick Garland hired to investigate Biden?  

He said Biden couldn’t even remember when he was Vice President and when his son died.  What exactly does that have to do with stuttering or normal ageing? Wouldn’t that be classified as “memory loss”? 

I remember the exact day and time my father passed away. Same with my mother. I even remember exactly who I was with and what I was wearing. The memory is that strong. And my father died in 1997. So it’s not like it was recent. 

Alf remembers the exact day his old man bought the farm. July 7, 1961. Came with the egg quota too! 
Celebrated with a bottle of scotch. Even at 11 Alf could make an empty.🤪

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You have to at least consider the possibility that Robert Hur, a Republican and Trump nominee, exaggerated and overstepped his bounds to score points.

Not saying he did, nor am I trying to start a conspiracy theory, but I think the possibility exists.

BTW - I don't remember the dates my mom and dad passed.   I just remember my mom and dad.

Edited by Satchmo
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Alf remembers the exact day his old man bought the farm. July 7, 1961. Came with the egg quota too! 

I don't think its the same as losing a kid. Lost my niece a couple of years ago, and the devastation it brings to a family is nothing I'd wish on anyone. I can see grief causing someone to be fuzzy on the calendar dates on this kind of stuff. 

• Huggy Bear 3

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

But because you remember a date like that, does it mean everyone else should too? There's a case for wanting to forget.

I don't remember the exact dates when any of my grandparents died other than 3 of them died within 6 months. I don't even want to remember the exact dates.

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I don't think its the same as losing a kid. Lost my niece a couple of years ago, and the devastation it brings to a family is nothing I'd wish on anyone. I can see grief causing someone to be fuzzy on the calendar dates on this kind of stuff. 

Not responding to Biden’s loss of a child but to the poster who related a story of losing his parents. “Bought the farm” is an idiom. Literally the old man did buy the farm in ‘61. 
Alf is making an empty (number two today!) and a bit blurred. 
Maybe Biden is into making empties too? The Orange One has no excuse. He’s just a blimp that’s got several

leaks. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Not responding to Biden’s loss of a child but to the poster who related a story of losing his parents. “Bought the farm” is an idiom. Literally the old man did buy the farm in ‘61. 
Alf is making an empty (number two today!) and a bit blurred. 
Maybe Biden is into making empties too? The Orange One has no excuse. He’s just a blimp that’s got several

leaks. 

ah sorry misread you on that one.

yep the orange one would blow up the planet if he thought it would help him. 

• ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are you 81 years old? 

• Haha 1

FTR, I remember the days when my dad and my mom passed away, but I don't necessarily remember the date. I know my dad was mid-January, because it was a couple of weeks before my birthday....my mom, I know was in early February....

I remember everything about both days. Where I was....what I was doing...what time of day it was when I got the news... All burned into my memory.

But not what day of the week, or what the number on the calendar was....

Of course, I'm a young and sprightly 63....

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

But because you remember a date like that, does it mean everyone else should too? There's a case for wanting to forget.

I don't remember the exact dates when any of my grandparents died other than 3 of them died within 6 months. I don't even want to remember the exact dates.

Biden was Vice President only once in his life. And it wasn’t that long ago either. Like 2008-2016. It shouldn’t be that hard for a person to remember when they were the Vice President of the United States. 

• Desmenko 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Biden was Vice President only once in his life. And it wasn’t that long ago either. Like 2008-2016. It shouldn’t be that hard for a person to remember when they were the Vice President of the United States. 

Okay, give me the exact years when you went to school, what years you had each job, from and to, etc. If you can remember all of that then good for you... you are not a normal person at that point. lol

Years add up when you get older. In fact, years tend to seem shorter and shorter. You supposedly live half your life by the age of 20 since subsequent years become shorter and shorter as you get more experience.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Alfie, you are almost as old as Biden. Do you remember when your parents died?  Like at least the year?

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Okay, give me the exact years when you went to school, what years you had each job, from and to, etc. If you can remember all of that then good for you... you are not a normal person at that point. lol

Is this satire?  If you private message me I will not only give you the years I went to school I will also tell you the names of all of my teachers. And yes I can tell you each job I had in my life and what year. I can even tell

you the names of my bosses.

Like seriously, do normal people really have that bad of a memory? 

• Desmenko 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Is this satire?  If you private message me I will not only give you the years I went to school I will also tell you the names of all of my teachers. And yes I can tell you each job I had in my life and what year. I can even tell

you the names of my bosses.

Like seriously, do normal people really have that bad of a memory? 

Well you have a better memory than me. So there's one person you're better than at remembering dates like that. lol

The only reason why I know some of the years is due to looking for work and having those years on my resume. I didn't remember when I finished my 1st degree otherwise just as an example.

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 1

Just now, The Lock said:

Well you have a better memory than me. So there's one person you're better than at remember dates like that. lol

My friend, I am certain if you sat down for a few minutes and figured out how old you are you can reverse back and know exactly when you went to high school. I’d bet you’d even remember the names of your favourite teachers. 

• Desmenko 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My friend, I am certain if you sat down for a few minutes and figured out how old you are you can reverse back and know exactly when you went to high school. I’d bet you’d even remember the names of your favourite teachers. 

Okay so there's math involved now in order to remember the dates. Even though it may not seem like it, you're adding a level of complexity to all of this. Imagine being in an interview and on the spot having to do math to remember dates doing math. I bet you even if Biden hesitated in order to do the math, people would question that.

Also, I don't remember every teacher I had. I'm serious. High school was a bit of a blur for me as I hated it. Not that I didn't do well in school, just had a lot of bad memories.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

@Elias Pettersson Also, by adding in math to all of this, you are changing the goalposts. Now, instead of them having to instantly recall a date, they have to be able to do the math first. Not the same thing you originally accused Biden of.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No.  But I know people in their 80’s who remember when their loved ones passed away. Unless of course they have dementia. 

It has been mentioned to you already...memory loss and dementia are not the same thing and people age differently. You want dementia signs go watch Trump slur his words and replace words with gibberish. Those are actual symptoms as opposed to general memory loss. Neither are good options if looking at age and the deterioration but of the two Biden is not the demented one..just showing old person brain. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Alfie, you are almost as old as Biden. Do you remember when your parents died?  Like at least the year?

Sorry Petey, if you were doing a poll I’d be putting my x in the same box as Rup, Satch, & Lock.  Definitely couldn’t tell you the date that either of my parents died and probably not the years without a great deal of thought. Other than my birthday the only date I remember is my anniversary, and that’s only because I made the mistake of forgetting it. Once.

On the other hand my wife remembers almost every date for both sides of our families, likely similar to you.
Now I’m not ruling out the possibility that I may be getting senile…

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Okay so there's math involved now in order to remember the dates. Even though it may not seem like it, you're adding a level of complexity to all of this. Imagine being in an interview and on the spot having to do math to remember dates doing math. I bet you even if Biden hesitated in order to do the math, people would question that.

Also, I don't remember every teacher I had. I'm serious. High school was a bit of a blur for me as I hated it. Not that I didn't do well in school, just had a lot of bad memories.

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to come close to remembering which years I had jobs or which teachers I had, with the exception of a few particular impactful ones, and I'm in my late 30s.