US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

On 3/2/2024 at 4:32 PM, Sabrefan1 said:

People said that before his first term also.  Trump was enough of a wildcard that nothing big really happened because nobody knew how he would respond. 

The only country I worry about with Trump is China.  China wants Taiwan back and I'm not sure how Trump would react if they attacked while he was president.

If people didn’t know how was he going to react in his first term, after 8 years in the spotlight, I think that changed. Ukraine would be the first one to find out. I have followed Russian and pro Russian media ever since the collapse of the Soviet Union. There is a reason why they have been pushing for him and have been very excited about the prospect of him winning again.

If Putin wins in Ukraine, for sure he is moving the front lines over to Moldavia or Armenia and further destabilizing Europe. Latvia and Estonia have a very high Russian population. Trump wouldn’t engage Putin over any of those countries and Europeans aren’t doing anything without the Americans.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I'm not good with dates of things, but I'm very good with band names and song lyrics.

Peeps is different, and focus on different things

Exactly this.

@Elias Pettersson Embrace that you have a good memory of dates; perhaps even a better memory than most people here. 🙂

But hopefully you at least realise that just because you're good at it, it does not mean everyone else is good at it. lol

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

TBH, I don’t even remember why I have been on these boards for 14 years.

I know that I am not a Canuck fan and I am definitely not from Canada.

The rest is somewhat fuzzy.

Do you know who the current president is, and what year it is?

• Haha 2

Just now, CBH1926 said:

I was going to say it’s Abraham Lincoln but I am not 100% on that.

As far as the year goes, that’s easy it’s 1984.

I have an awesome deal on some Florida real estate, PM I'll hook you up. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Trump's 'worrying' meeting with foreign leader should be 'raising more eyebrows': analyst

Donald Trump is set to have another controversial guest at his Mar-a-Lago golf club, and a columnist says it should concern us all.

The former president has previously hosted Ye, the rapper formerly known as Kanye, as well as a White Nationalist. Now, his plan to bring in Christian nationalist authoritarian Prime Minister of Hungary, Viktor Orbán, is another step in this troubling pattern, according to MSNBC analyst Ja'han Jones.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Trump's 'worrying' meeting with foreign leader should be 'raising more eyebrows': analyst

Donald Trump is set to have another controversial guest at his Mar-a-Lago golf club, and a columnist says it should concern us all.

The former president has previously hosted Ye, the rapper formerly known as Kanye, as well as a White Nationalist. Now, his plan to bring in Christian nationalist authoritarian Prime Minister of Hungary, Viktor Orbán, is another step in this troubling pattern, according to MSNBC analyst Ja'han Jones.

I guess it’s good thing that Benito and Adolf are already dead.

• Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Sorry Petey, if you were doing a poll I’d be putting my x in the same box as Rup, Satch, & Lock.  Definitely couldn’t tell you the date that either of my parents died and probably not the years without a great deal of thought. Other than my birthday the only date I remember is my anniversary, and that’s only because I made the mistake of forgetting it. Once.

On the other hand my wife remembers almost every date for both sides of our families, likely similar to you.
Now I’m not ruling out the possibility that I may be getting senile…

I bet you were walking bowlegged for a week after, amirite?

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

TBH, I don’t even remember why I have been on these boards for 14 years.

I know that I am not a Canuck fan and I am definitely not from Canada.

The rest is somewhat fuzzy.

2010? You probably logged in to troll us about the Cup win....:classic_laugh:

Somehow, you've managed to overcome that and become someone we all like and respect....:classic_wink:

• Haha 3
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Why is Trump hosting the Prime Minister of Hungary?  He also met with the President of Argentina at his rally last week. 

Isn’t it the job of the actual President to meet with foreign leaders?  

• Wiener 1

7 hours ago, Chicken. said:

i'd think a one on one 2 hour debate should clear up who, if anyone, has symptoms of dementia. i'd like to just skip to that part but should be an interesting year ahead.

You can go back and watch the ones from 3 years ago where one of them was clearly more verbally impressive. Probably why he won the election too.

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why is Trump hosting the Prime Minister of Hungary?  He also met with the President of Argentina at his rally last week. 

Isn’t it the job of the actual President to meet with foreign leaders?  

Past POTUS regularly host foreign leaders and dignitaries. As we watch the Mulroney funeral this week we can realize that he did a lot of that sort of thing. Many people don’t like Orban from Hungry and I am one. His blackmail of the EU and NATO cost many Ukrainian deaths. Bottom line is that he runs Hungry and has to be dealt with. 

The new leader of Argentina is a new leader, just elected. A libertarian of sorts. Don’t know much about him. Trump can associate with who he pleases. For him it will always be how the public views his actions. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Yep. Me too. My Mom passed in February of last year, but I'd have to look it up to know what the actual date is....

But, when one of the guys in my band suggests we do a song that I played 30 years ago, I almost always remember the words....and if you tell me what the key is, the chord progression usually comes back to me too....

Memory is a funny thing....:classic_unsure:

People don’t know what dementia really is unless they have observed someone close to them that has it.  From what I’ve seen of Biden in his interviews, nothing tells me that he is showing signs of dementia.  Being forgetful comes with growing old.  It sucks but in no way it should it affect his ability run his country.  My father in law had it for about 5 years before he passed away during Covid.  

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, coho8888 said:

People don’t know what dementia really is unless they have observed someone close to them that has it.  

This. My father and his mother both suffered from dementia for around the last 10 years of their lives (and yes, it scares the hell out of me any time I have a memory lapse).  Trump certainly shows more markers than Biden has, but I'm not a doctor so would not diagnose either.

• Huggy Bear 2
  • Cheers 1

Just a little note to all you "centrists"......this is the guy you want to see in the White House a year from now:

"Birdbrain spent all of her time, money and effort there," he said Sunday night. "Over the weekend we won Missouri, Idaho, and Michigan - BIG NUMBERS - Complete destruction of a very weak opponent. The really big numbers will come on Super Tuesday. Also, WAY UP ON CROOKED JOE!"

In a follow-up post, he said that, "Birdbrain is a loser, record low performance in virtually every State."

"DeSanctus easily beat her in Iowa for a VERY DISTANT second place, and then she ran up to the podium, before he had a chance to do so, and claimed victory," Trump said. "I enjoy watching the Bird disavow her PLEDGE to the RNC and her statement that she would NEVER run against President Trump ('A great President')."

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/trump-claims-he-purposely-lost-d-c-gop-primary-contest-to-nikki-haley/ar-BB1jhisg?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=ac8dd4f245664dd8beca2a0fb6cb5b06&ei=10

This little tirade came after Nikki Haley won the DC primary.....which was a bigger lock than Man City over Luton Town....:classic_rolleyes: It just boggles the mind that so many people are okay with the idea of a guy with the mentality of a toddler being in charge of the most powerful country on earth...:classic_wacko:

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Just a little note to all you "centrists"......this is the guy you want to see in the White House a year from now:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/trump-claims-he-purposely-lost-d-c-gop-primary-contest-to-nikki-haley/ar-BB1jhisg?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=ac8dd4f245664dd8beca2a0fb6cb5b06&ei=10

This little tirade came after Nikki Haley won the DC primary.....which was a bigger lock than Man City over Luton Town....:classic_rolleyes: It just boggles the mind that so many people are okay with the idea of a guy with the mentality of a toddler being in charge of the most powerful country on earth...:classic_wacko:

Shows the maturity level of the MAGA crowd. They are morans.