US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

MAGA candidate says only English speakers should be allowed to vote

https://www.rawstory.com/anthony-hudson-michigan/

Unlike Canada (French and English), the US does NOT have an official language.  Man, it would help if these MAGA morons knew how to read.  Or how to properly search the interwebs.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

OK, 

Now i dont mind that rant as much. I agree they are shit choices. 

However, one is worse than the other.  Thats what I wanted to clear up with ya. Thank you. 

See....this is what I was asking about....

DB refuses to answer, but I'm genuinely wondering why everyone thinks Biden is a "shit" choice. Because he's old? Really? :classic_huh: To me, that make him "less than ideal", but if people actually looked at what he's accomplished in his first term, they might be surprised.

Don't just take my word for it:

https://thehill.com/homenews/4476288-presidential-experts-rank-biden-14th-among-presidents-in-survey-trump-comes-in-last/

Do we all really believe that these guys are just making shit up to try and prop up Biden's chances, or might they actually be able to look past the age bias and judge the man on the job he's done?

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 3

20 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

DB refuses to answer, but I'm genuinely wondering why everyone thinks Biden is a "shit" choice. Because he's old? Really? :classic_huh: To me, that make him "less than ideal", but if people actually looked at what he's accomplished in his first term, they might be surprised.

Don't take my word for it. Do we all really believe that these guys are just making shit up to try and prop up Biden's chances, or might they actually be able to look past the age bias and judge the man on the job he's done?

https://thehill.com/homenews/4476288-presidential-experts-rank-biden-14th-among-presidents-in-survey-trump-comes-in-last/

Hi Rup. We can use 'less than ideal'. Maybe I was too harsh to Joe.

I am quite sensitive about age discrimination lately. I've just become a Peace Officer at 49. In the last few months of training I have faced discrimination based on my age. The highlight was a dude saying " why would you try to do this at your advanced age?"...well, he and the rest of my class found out. I placed top of my group in the physical tests and use of force ( I am a blackbelt). I also got the highest grade in the classroom courses. Sad thing is I felt the pressure to achieve that, to prove I was not 'too old'.

However, I have always thought that if a countries leader is within spitting distance of avg life expectancy they should probably not run again. So, both these guys.

I mentioned in the post to DB that one is a worse choice than the other. 

To be clear Trump is the worst pile of shit I have seen grace US politics. I thought he was shit before he got in the first time and my opinion of him has only gotten worse.

Why I think Joe is a shit less than ideal choice is:

- as i mention and same with Trump...just too old.

- Joe's age and potentially health are making his supporters worry. He has done some great things but he is looking frail and unsteady. I do not think he has lost it mentally like DT but he doesnt look great to me. 

- Trump should not win again if the US has any hope of a decent future. The idea that the Dems are going with Joe again makes me nervous due to the things I stated above. I feel if the dems had found a younger person, it would have been a slam dunk. Joe is also a career dude. Some new blood would have been nice

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I am quite sensitive about age discrimination lately. I've just become a Peace Officer at 49. In the last few months of training I have faced discrimination based on my age. The highlight was a dude saying " why would you try to do this at your advanced age?"...well, he and the rest of my class found out. I placed top of my group in the physical tests and use of force ( I am a blackbelt). I also got the highest grade in the classroom courses. Sad thing is I felt the pressure to achieve that, to prove I was not 'too old'.

However, I have always thought that if a countries leader is within spitting distance of avg life expectancy they should probably not run again. So, both these guys.

To be clear Trump is the worst pile of shit I have seen grace US politics. I thought he was shit before he got in the first time and my opinion of him has only gotten worse.

- Joe's age and potentially health are making his supporters worry. He has done some great things but he is looking frail and unsteady. I do not think he has lost it mentally like DT but he doesnt look great to me. 

- Trump should not win again if the US has any hope of a decent future. The idea that the Dems are going with Joe again makes me nervous due to the things I stated above. I feel if the dems had found a younger person, it would have been a slam dunk. Joe is also a career dude. Some new blood would have been nice

I see that narrative a lot, but TBH, I'm not sure that's true.

I mentioned that Joe managed to get a lot done in his first term, but you really have to think about that to realize what an accomplishment that truly is. Look at how deeply divided American politics are....yet JB still managed to get things done and IMO, there can really only be one reason for that: Experience.

Joe has been around a long time, (as people love to point out) and in that time, he's worked closely with many people on the other side of the aisle. (Especially before Newt Gingrich and the Tea Party fucked things up)

So one has to wonder: Would Gavin Newsome, or Gretchen Whitmer been able to achieve as much as Joe?

It could be that either of them would wipe the floor with Trump....or it could be that American bias against electing a woman as POTUS continues.....it could be that people look at California and ask, "Is that what we want America to look like?"

To me, all this talk about "a better choice" falls under the category of "Be careful what you wish for".....

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Don't take my word for it. Do we all really believe that these guys are just making shit up to try and prop up Biden's chances, or might they actually be able to look past the age bias and judge the man on the job he's done?

I’ve got lots of reasons why I don’t like Biden and Trump.  
You refuse to listen and it make me for a not fun conversation.  

Im sure you are gonna cry and disagree with every point, but sure.  I’ll bite.  

Reasons I don’t like Biden. 

Immigration.  
What a fucking mess.  
It’s like there is no real plan at all. 

Afghanistan 

Pulling out prematurely, and also leaving millions of dollars in equipment there because it was too expensive to ship back.    Where did it all end up?  
Can we trust it won’t get into the wrong hands?

Inflation.  Him and Trudy are both doing a dog shit job to battle this.  

California.  
I spend a lot of time there in southern Cali as my wife’s family is all there.  
Since Joe got in, it seems to be getting dirtier and more crime filled than ever.  
Yes, more of a state thing, but it’s still his fucking country.  

He allowed Iran to attack the US forces 100+ and did fuck all about. 

etc…….

Also, he is clearly a weak old man and isn’t getting any sharper.   

And yes, I could quite easily make an huge list about that orange cunt as well. 

• Cheers 3
  • Desmenko 1

7 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I see that narrative a lot, but TBH, I'm not sure that's true.

I mentioned that Joe managed to get a lot done in his first term, but you really have to think about that to realize what an accomplishment that truly is. Look at how deeply divided American politics are....yet JB still managed to get things done and IMO, there can really only be one reason for that: Experience.

Joe has been around a long time, (as people love to point out) and in that time, he's worked closely with many people on the other side of the aisle. (Especially before Newt Gingrich and the Tea Party fucked things up)

So one has to wonder: Would Gavin Newsome, or Gretchen Whitmer been able to achieve as much as Joe?

It could be that either of them would wipe the floor with Trump....or it could be that American bias against electing a woman as POTUS continues.....it could be that people look at California and ask, "Is that what we want America to look like?"

To me, all this talk about "a better choice" falls under the category of "Be careful what you wish for".....

I think you make some really good points as usual.

Lets put it this way. If Joe beats Don then he is not a shit choice at all. He is the guy that once again stopped the man that is, as the people's hero Joe Rogan stated,...a  threat to democracy. 

Guess we wont know how other candidates would stack up against DT so it doesn't matter. Still I would have thought the US voters would have been inspired more by a younger person.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Immigration.  
What a fucking mess.  

Afghanistan 

Pulling out prematurely, and also leaving millions of dollars in equipment there because it was too expensive to ship back.    Where did it all end up?  

California.  
Since Joe got in, it seems to be getting dirtier and more crime filled than ever.  

etc…….

Well, I'm not sure Biden can be blamed for California, but okay.

I guess those other things are reasons, but TBH, they mostly look like Republican talking points more than anything.

I'll agree that the withdrawal from Afghanistan was poorly executed, but it was originally negotiated by the Trump Administration. As far as Inflation goes, this is a long running debate between those that dislike left leaning governments and people like myself. I've always maintained (and will continue to do so) that Covid and the Ukraine war are the leading causes for the current inflation situation, although I know you'll disagree.

That being said, it's worth pointing out that the US is doing better than any of the other G8 economies, so I'd say JB is doing about as well as could be expected.

The US border is a no-win situation, IMO. One thing I will remind you of however, is that Biden was ready to sign a bipartisan immigration bill. One that was approved of by the Border Services Union. That bill got killed on Donald Trump's orders.....

• Cheers 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I think you make some really good points as usual.

Lets put it this way. If Joe beats Don then he is not a shit choice at all. He is the guy that once again stopped the man that is, as the people's hero Joe Rogan stated,...a  threat to democracy. 

Guess we wont know how other candidates would stack up against DT so it doesn't matter. Still I would have thought the US voters would have been inspired more by a younger person.

i shudder to think about it, but that might not be true.

Let's say for sake of argument that Joe once again beats Trump in November and T>rump somehow miraculously avoids going to jail. Why couldn't he run in 2028? Would Republicans run a 2 time loser? They certainly don't seem to have an issue with that right now, considering how elections have gone for them since 2016....

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Border Services? 

1 hour ago, 112 said:

"President Trump"

... fake news?

It seems to be a tradition for former presidents to retain that honorific even after leaving office, although I'm not sure if it's a hard and fast rule....

That being said, one has to wonder if Barack Obama or Bill Clinton would be afforded the same level of respect, if they were to appear on Fox.....:classic_unsure:

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Immigration.  
What a fucking mess.  

Afghanistan 

California.  

etc…….

Immigration:

To say this problem is all Biden's fault is absolutely incorrect.  This  (like housing) is a problem that has existed for decades.  Immigration reform has been non existent for multiple administrations.  There is a bipartisan Senate bill sitting there that the House QOP refuses to take up.  The border isn't wide open and Biden hasn't done less than any other administration.  Hell, during the Obama administration, they deported more people in term 1 and in term 2 than TRUMP did in his term.  Hardly soft of immigration.

Afghanistan:

TRUMP negotiated the withdraw terms.  Both his and Biden's administrations thought that the Afghan army could hold out better than they did.  They didn't.  Retreats and withdraws are messy affairs.  Go look into the withdraw from Vietnam.  Lots of parallels.

Inflation:

World wide thing.  Actually, the US fared better than a number of developed nations.  (from last year)  https://home.treasury.gov/news/featured-stories/the-us-economic-recovery-in-international-context-2023

California

Well, Forbes does have it as a top 10 worse state.  Yet, Tennessee has a way worse violent crime rate, a very similar property crime rate, and a much greater chance of being a victim of a violent crime, yet it ranks below Cali.  https://www.forbes.com/advisor/legal/criminal-defense/crime-rate-by-state/

As you said, it's a state issue, but there are Republican run states on that list that are just as bad, or worse.  Crickets.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Immigration.  
What a fucking mess.  

Afghanistan 

California.  

etc…….

Immigration: Biden is imposing harsher restrictions vis a vis the Obama restrictions and working with the Southern States to restrict crossings. 

Afghanistan: Trump didn’t do shit in ensuring that assets were recovered. 
Trump didn’t have any plan whatsoever even though he was the one that made the decision to pull out. Biden was the one that had to quickly make the pivot. He fucked it up, I agree. But the decision was made prior to Biden’s administration. 

Inflation: Both are/have been going down. Check it out. 

California: Biden doesn’t control California. Do you want Biden meddling in State affairs? 

At the end of the day, who is better for Canada and the world? 

Let go of the rest of Conservative vs Liberal arguments. 

Focus on who is better for global stability. 

Global stability. Is that not your main focus? 

• Cheers 1

Mark Cuban Slams Trump as a ‘Snake Oil Salesperson’ Whose Voters Don’t Care If His Policies Work or Not

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/mark-cuban-slams-trump-as-a-snake-oil-salesperson-whose-voters-dont-care-if-his-policies-work-or-not/

Billionaire entrepreneur Mark Cuban tore into former President Donald Trump this week after publicly announcing he would vote for President Joe Biden in a match-up against Trump.

“I don’t want a snake oil salesperson as President. I’m voting for Biden/Harris over Trump all day every day,” Cuban told Axios in an email Tuesday. Cuban had told Bloomberg News on Monday that he would support Biden, no matter how old he is.

“If they were having his last wake, and it was him versus Trump, and he was being given last rites, I would still vote for Joe Biden,” Cuban told Bloomberg after a White House meeting on prescription drugs – an industry Cuban has working to disrupt in recent years.

One will tell you his snake oil will cure everything that ails you.

The other will show you the details of his policies through charts, graphs and statements.He is precise and methodical and wants to sell the steak.

Not the sizzle.

Trump voters are happy with their snake oil whether it works or not.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Well, I'm not sure Biden can be blamed for California, but okay.

Thats what I said, it’s more of a state thing.

I guess those other things are reasons, but TBH, they mostly look like Republican talking points more than anything.

Well, I’m not a republican/conservative, so no. You are wrong.  
Im a liberal waiting for the party to come back to reality. 

I'll agree that the withdrawal from Afghanistan was poorly executed, but it was originally negotiated by the Trump Administration. 

As far as Inflation goes, this is a long running debate between those that dislike left leaning governments and people like myself. I've always maintained (and will continue to do so) that Covid and the Ukraine war are the leading causes for the current inflation situation, although I know you'll disagree.

Correct.  I disagree.  Hahahah

Not entirely, but I do disagree. 

Personally, I reject accepting international affairs as a reason for gas prices, because I think it’s fucking embarrassing we are such an oil rich country, but can’t make our own gas.  
That would help a ton in controlling cost, but we never make it happen, no matter what party is in power.  
Housing, proper government planning could slow that down easily.  
No more foreign buyers.  Period.  

That being said, it's worth pointing out that the US is doing better than any of the other G8 economies, so I'd say JB is doing about as well as could be expected.

The US border is a no-win situation, IMO. One thing I will remind you of however, is that Biden was ready to sign a bipartisan immigration bill. One that was approved of by the Border Services Union. That bill got killed on Donald Trump's orders.....

So JB had an idea that got shut down by DT 4 years ago?
What’s his excuse now?

• Cheers 1
  • Desmenko 1