US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

22 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

The massive job losses are omitted because they were due to Covid not Trump policy so hardly his fault. By July of ‘22 US employment had been restored to pre-pandemic levels so if you’re troubled by that then note the job gains levels after that date under Biden. Striking isn’t it especially when you consider this during a period of rate increases by the Fed to fight inflation?!

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/05/business/economy/july-jobs-report-gains.html

• Aug. 5, 2022

U.S. job growth accelerated in July across nearly all industries, restoring nationwide employment to its prepandemic level, despite widespread expectations of a slowdown as the Federal Reserve raises interest rates to fight inflation.

Exactly, Trump not responsible for those losses, Biden not responsible for their reinstatement.  The chart should have started July 2022 for Biden, at best. There is a case that Trump was responsible for the losses because he followed what was basically a media/democrat driven covid response.

Edited by Joshrips
  • Haha 2
  • MillerTime 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That's a whole lot of words just to say "I have no idea what I'm talking about"

I presume you don't own a home. This is a young person's remark, so I doubt you own one just yet.

• Wiener 2

3 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Makes me wonder if it's the same person with multiple accounts? I'm all for having an opinion, but....It can't be laid out any clearer. Much like tRump himself.

The simple facts, timelines and numbers all point to things doing well under a current Biden administration.  This is with a major conflict in Ukraine as well as global inflationary pressures and half a government that refuses to work with their team.

There's nothing but opinion and the "everything is expensive under Biden" statements, which clearly indicate it is a global issue because; if things are unaffordable under Biden; but also unaffordable under Trudeau, it clearly indicates that the cost of living and inflationary pressures are in fact global and not caused by a single administration.

• Cheers 3

Just now, Joshrips said:

I presume you don't own a home. This is a young person's remark, so I doubt you own one just yet.

Own?  Why yes I do.  I also have two vehicles purchased within the last 9 and 3 years that are paid off; a condo unit in Calgary and very little actual debt.  Why does this matter at all in regards to the US political theater?

This is a deflectioners remark so I doubt you know what you're talking about just yet.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

Own?  Why yes I do.  I also have two vehicles purchased within the last 9 and 3 years that are paid off; a condo unit in Calgary and very little actual debt.  Why does this matter at all in regards to the US political theater?

This is a deflectioners remark so I doubt you know what you're talking about just yet.

Oh ok , you are wealthy. These concerns of people trying to scratch out a living are of no concern then, Biden is your man.

• Desmenko 1

3 minutes ago, Joshrips said:

Oh ok , you are wealthy. These concerns of people trying to scratch out a living are of no concern then, Biden is your man.

So,  you think tRump was working for you??? That asshat did everything for himself, and gave out huge tax breaks to the ultra wealthy.

• Cheers 4

41 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

So,  you think tRump was working for you??? That asshat did everything for himself, and gave out huge tax breaks to the ultra wealthy.

He gave tax breaks to everyone. Yes, I'm fine with that. That's the way it should be.

• Desmenko 1

2 minutes ago, Joshrips said:

He gave tax breaks to everyone. Yes, I'm fine with that. That's the way it should be.

And added trillions to the National Debt:

One of President Donald Trump’s lesser known but profoundly damaging legacies will be the explosive rise in the national debt that occurred on his watch. The financial burden that he’s inflicted on our government will wreak havoc for decades, saddling our kids and grandkids with debt.

The national debt has risen by almost $7.8 trillion during Trump’s time in office. That’s nearly twice as much as what Americans owe on student loans, car loans, credit cards and every other type of debt other than mortgages, combined, according to data from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. It amounts to about $23,500 in new federal debt for every person in the country.

https://www.propublica.org/article/national-debt-trump

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I am absolutely not wealthy my wife and I just worked our asses off and got lucky via some inheritance money and a family member to live in the place in NE calgary.  Again this has absolutely NO baring at all on this subject and is actually quite sad.

Growing up dirt poor and half native with no band assistance on welfare sucked mate.  The people are definitely in my wheelhouse.

Biden is also "not my man" as I am Canadian and as such not subject to his presidency.  By the numbers though his presidency is actually turning out well for the average American and no amount of personal stabs, jabs attacks, insinuations or false narratives can change that simple fact.

Glad to hear things have worked out!  Nothing is more affordable for the common person, so  other economic metric matters? Inflation and debt drives democrat economic "success". 

• Wiener 2

11 minutes ago, Joshrips said:

Glad to hear things have worked out!  Nothing is more affordable for the common person, so  other economic metric matters? Inflation and debt drives democrat economic "success". 

the government does not control the price of housing, food, fuel, clothing or even personal debt.  That's corporations and personal choice.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Joshrips said:

You do realize the Trump Tax cuts benefited the top 5% of earners, creating a $3.5 Trillion deficit (that's 3.5 Iraq wars) till 2033 and offloaded the burden of that to lower income tax payers (i.e those aiming to scratch out a living) to time with Biden's administration?

image.png.91c1b034eca93489699c0ee64e1e6792.png

https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/115th-congress-2017-2018/reports/53429-distributionhr1.pdf 

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 4

26 minutes ago, Joshrips said:

You have a very minimalistic approach to a very complicated topic. Inflation was coming due to increased money supply secondary to governments worldwide propping up their populations while covid lockdowns were in place to prevent the spread of a novel disease.

Inflation was irreversible once that occurred. Biden and his policies have helped mitigate the severity of inflation, better than most other countries. Furthermore, the Federal Reserve's increase in interest rates look to have prevented inflation from ingraining or exponentiating. 

If you want to blame anyone, blame Trump for his covid lockdowns as that's what caused inflation.

If you look in this thread, nobody is blaming Trump for inflation because the lockdowns were necessary at that time. We easily could, but do not. 

Blaming Biden is even dumber as he's the person in power while inflation is being fought against (and winning). In addition, wage growth has outpaced inflation, due to a strong, robust economy. 

The economy is so strong, in fact, that the feds cannot reduce the interest rate for fear of inflation returning due to Americans having too much spending money. Rates are not being cut because housing prices would skyrocket.

You're flat approach to this subject is inaccurate at best, delusional at worst.

Edited by Duodenum
  • Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Joshrips said:

I doubt the linked article will convince you of anything, but here goes:

The 2017 Trump Tax Law Was Skewed to the Rich, Expensive, and Failed to Deliver on Its Promises

A 2025 Course Correction Is Needed

https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-tax/the-2017-trump-tax-law-was-skewed-to-the-rich-expensive-and-failed-to-deliver#:~:text=The centerpiece of the law,deduction for pass-through income.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

And added trillions to the National Debt:

https://www.propublica.org/article/national-debt-trump

Here is an easy-to-read debt chart which tells no lies. Trump bumped the debt in 2020 by submitting to media/democrat driven covid response (imo, as I mentioned earlier), then Biden has sent it skyrocketing. Just check out the change in the slope of that graph for Bidenomics. 

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/GFDEBTN

• Desmenko 1

1 minute ago, Joshrips said:

Here is an easy-to-read debt chart which tells no lies. Trump bumped the debt in 2020 by submitting to media/democrat driven covid response (imo, as I mentioned earlier), then Biden has sent it skyrocketing. Just check out the change in the slope of that graph for Bidenomics. 

LMAO....Trump summited?  Please tell me this is sarcasm.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

this-is-fine.jpg

National Guard and State Police Will Patrol the Subways and Check Bags

Gov. Kathy Hochul, amid a series of violent crimes on the subway, said she would deploy 1,000 members of the State Police and National Guard to the transit system.

Land of the free.

"check bags"

4rth amendment is wondering WTF is going on, there?

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Joshrips said:

Are you claiming that the tax cut did not add trillions to the debt?

Because that would make you wrong.....

https://www.budget.senate.gov/chairman/newsroom/press/extending-trump-tax-cuts-would-add-35-trillion-to-the-deficit-according-to-cbo

• Thanks 2

Just now, Gurn said:

Land of the free.

"check bags"

4rth amendment is wondering WTF is going on, there?

I also remember a former president who threatened to do exactly this and half of the country flipped out and called him a fascist Nazi for it.

3 minutes ago, Joshrips said:

So Trump bumped the debt in 2020 but it wasn't really his fault?   

Can you please explain what 'media/democrat driven covid response' means?

• Thanks 1