US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

28 minutes ago, DSVII said:

You do realize the Trump Tax cuts benefited the top 5% of earners, creating a $3.5 Trillion deficit (that's 3.5 Iraq wars) till 2033 and offloaded the burden of that to lower income tax payers (i.e those aiming to scratch out a living) to time with Biden's administration?

image.png.91c1b034eca93489699c0ee64e1e6792.png

https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/115th-congress-2017-2018/reports/53429-distributionhr1.pdf 

Net revenues and spending? 

22 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Are you claiming that the tax cut did not add trillions to the debt?

Because that would make you wrong.....

https://www.budget.senate.gov/chairman/newsroom/press/extending-trump-tax-cuts-would-add-35-trillion-to-the-deficit-according-to-cbo

Yeah, yeah, Senator Whitehouse sounds very non-partisan in your attachment. lol 

More taxation should do the trick then eh? Basic economic discussion is whether tax cuts stimulate enough activity make up for the revenue loss.

25 minutes ago, Joshrips said:

More taxation should do the trick then eh? Basic economic discussion is whether tax cuts stimulate enough activity make up for the revenue loss.

There are several outlets that report the same thing. This one is froma right-wing publication, Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christianweller/2020/01/29/trumps-wasteful-tax-cuts-lead-to-continued-trillion-dollar-deficits-in-expanding-economy/?sh=50bb2ad566c4

Less than a week after Treasury Secretary Mnuchin repeated the fanciful claim that the Trump tax cuts of 2017 would pay for themselves, the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) proved him wrong. If tax cuts actually paid for themselves, they would reduce deficits based on faster revenue growth that comes from faster economic growth. Deficits immediately shot up after the 2017 supply-side tax cuts. And CBO forecasts that those deficits will continue to stay high for the foreseeable future. This is the opposite of tax cuts paying for themselves.

CBO released its regular update to the economic and budget outlook on January 28. The new estimates show a deficit of $1 trillion for 2020.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Joshrips said:

Tax cuts dont stimulate enough activity to make up the revenue loss.  That is voodoo economics.

A prime example is Brownbacks Kansas.  He slashed taxes.  Revenue dropped and the QOP were forced to cut services.   The economy was worse than other neighboring states (other QOP run states) and things got to the point that the Kansas QOP had to reinstate most of the taxes that Brownback cut.

Or, I could mention Harper's GST cut.  Same story, different country. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Joshrips said:

@Duodenum admits this was a liberal approach (you all agree with it) to the problem, I agree.

It was. It went on for too long most likely but it was the right approach. People's lives were saved, many many many of them. Covid is the type of problem that comes about once a millenia and it was going to cause issues, no matter who was in power. 

Yea some mistakes were made. Some people were pushing Ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine and such (that was really dumb). The degree of vaccine hesitancy was pretty stupid as well and caused a lot of unnecessary deaths. 

Anyways I'm feeling clammy so this argument is pointless as you do not debate in good faith.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

Marjorie Taylor Greene Blows Off Speaker’s Call for ‘Decorum’ During SOTU: ‘Calling Out the President… Is Completely Appropriate’

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/marjorie-taylor-greene-blows-off-speakers-call-for-decorum-during-sotu-calling-out-the-president-is-completely-appropriate/

This will help Biden point out the obvious.

• Cheers 3

Just now, Bob Long said:

where the hell did the US ever find this howler monkey, man she's just a trash human. 

Little known fact people weren't paying attention to.  Democrat backed voters had already been making headway in her DQ'ing from ever running for Congress again.  The Supreme Court ruling that saved President Brownish-Orange also saved her bacon by nullifying a Georgia judges ruling that allowed the case against her to go forward.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Little known fact people weren't paying attention to.  Democrat backed voters had already been making headway in her DQ'ing from ever running for Congress again.  The Supreme Court ruling that saved President Brownish-Orange also saved her bacon by nullifying a Georgia judges ruling that allowed the case against her to go forward.

Ugh.

I don't understand how she could win in the first place.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Ugh.

I don't understand how she could win in the first place.

I was gonna put The Apprentice Intro video here.  🤣   Between spending like crazy on her seat and hitching her wagon to Trump, she gets to sit in Congress.

money-congress.jpg

P.S.  I chuckled at your howler monkey shot because she's going to prove it true before, probably even during, and after the SOTU address.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I was gonna put The Apprentice Intro video here.  🤣   Between spending like crazy on her seat and hitching her wagon to Trump, she gets to sit in Congress.

money-congress.jpg

P.S.  I chuckled at your howler monkey shot because she's going to prove it true before, probably even during, and after the SOTU address.

I mean, isn't she though? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Joshrips said:

Exactly, Trump not responsible for those losses, Biden not responsible for their reinstatement.  The chart should have started July 2022 for Biden, at best. There is a case that Trump was responsible for the losses because he followed what was basically a media/democrat driven covid response.

I guess if you believe that Trump is a little bitch that submits to the will of the media and Democrats I’ll give you and him a pass…

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It turned into a campaign rally quicker than I thought it would...

It's definitely a campaign rally. I do see this speech increasing his approval rating, he looks and sounds good. 

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

Looks like sleepy Joe is quite awake tonight, must have gone to Starbucks for some doppio espresso!

Meds fortunately.  I may be voting 3rd party but I don't want to see him flub up and embarrass himself and the nation on the world stage.