US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Why should the Dems give support to the QOP?  There were numerous bipartisan bills that died on Moscow Mitch's desk.  The dumb football coach from Alabama has been holding up all kinds of military appointments/promotions by himself.  They're supposed to roll over the moment the crazies ditched McCarthy.  

Or, let the chaos happen.  Then support a moderate who will have to give them actual concessions.  WIN WIN

I want to skip the chaos part.

You're talking about what's better for a certain political party.  I'd rather things go better for this country.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

We just had a Speaker voted here in Canada TODAY.  It didn't take multiple days and it didn't take 15 votes.

The disfunction of the QOP needs to be put on full display.  

Well our speaker in Canada don't really have that much power so it is less heated. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, 24K said:

I mean the Dems can still vote McCarthy back in again if he concede to something significant. Increases Dems leverage if he was already removed. 

They'll do what they did last time.  Vote for their guy and land in 2nd place (or 1st without the majority needed) after each vote.

Edited by Sabrefan1
Clarification of voting in parentheses

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You're talking about what's better for a certain political party.  I'd rather things go better for this country.

The Republicans destroying themselves and exposing the fascist wing is best for the long-term health of the USA.  Gaetz, MTG and the like cannot have real input regarding the running of any civilized country.  McCarthy was too willing to work with these lunatics.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I am of two minds for this.

One, you're right. 

In that the Dems allow the freedom caucus to take over and their craziness is put on serious display, they can then label them as insane as they stonewall everything and make the most insane comments statements and reasonings for their actions.

Two.

You're wrong and that they manage to ram through a moderate somehow that is reasonable and as such is a win for both parties as it would paint the Dems as willing to compromise and give the GOP someone that doesn't look as batshit crazy as gaetz, Jordan, MTG or the like.

Alternative and totally out of left field.  They get the numbers to nominate one of their own as speaker somehow which is actually a potential option as well.

Whatever the case, this was an inevitability

Welcome to predicting US politics.  It should be easy and black and white.

Unfortunately, the members are loyal to their particular gang over the interests of the country.

It's why we, as a modern day empire, are dying a slow painful death.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

The Republicans destroying themselves and exposing the fascist wing is best for the long-term health of the USA.  Gaetz, MTG and the like cannot have real input regarding the running of any civilized country.  McCarthy was too willing to work with these lunatics.

The GOP can hurt itself over time, but it will never destroy itself.  Same with the Democrats.

McCarthy had no choice.  It was the deal he struck in order to get his seat.

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Unfortunately, the members are loyal to their particular gang over the interests of the country.

Every empire before you has died as well. The concerning part about the American empire is it'll probably take us with it.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, 24K said:

Well our speaker in Canada don't really have that much power so it is less heated. 

To be fair, it is heated, but there have been only 15 times that multiple roll calls have happened.  McCarthy was the first one since 1923.  I'm pretty sure there has been some contention in the House since then.

https://history.house.gov/People/Office/Speakers-Multiple-Ballots/

Edited by the destroyer of worlds

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Every empire before you has died as well. The concerning part about the American empire as it'll probably take us with it.

Canada will be fine as long as we keep up our military insofar as defence capabilities.  Europe however is screwed in a few decades once our offensive capabilities fall behind and we no longer have the will or want to "hold the barbians at the gate."

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Canada will be fine as long as we keep up our military insofar as defence capabilities.  Europe however is screwed in a few decades once our offensive capabilities fall behind and we no longer have the will or want to "hold the barbians at the gate."

You make a great point. However, I'm skeptical that American offensive capabilities would ever fall behind China, Russia or any other nation.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

I sincerely think that the Dems are going to use the freedom caucus to highlight the instability and infighting in the GOP and leverage that as a potential sub platform of Biden may be old but wtf look how insane these guys are and their leader a literal criminal.

The moderates in both our nations are the largest single voting bloc and by pushing the simple message of consistency and stability they might make mroe inroads than they could have by playing the defensive all the time.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

You make a great point. However, I'm skeptical that American offensive capabilities would ever fall behind China, Russia or any other nation.

China keeps ripping us off.  There's a reason why their jets are a lot like ours, but with crappier engines.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I sincerely think that the Dems are going to use the freedom caucus to highlight the instability and infighting in the GOP and leverage that as a potential sub platform of Biden may be old but wtf look how insane these guys are and their leader a literal criminal.

The moderates in both our nations are the largest single voting bloc and by pushing the simple message of consistency and stability they might make mroe inroads than they could have by playing the defensive all the time.

Only time will tell.  I'm too "pie in the sky" idealistic sometimes.  I actually thought that just enough congresspeople would put the country's interests this time over their own. 

Silly me.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Well, what is better for the country is the crazy is exposed, and loses their power.  This current version the the Grand Ole Party should be far far far away from power.  Space Laser Lady shouldn't be on important committees.  Groping BoBo.  There are others.  I mean, what kind of policies do they actually support that helps the little guy/gal?  Better healthcare?  Nope.  Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid?  Those are on the QOP block.  Environment?  Nope, drill baby drill.  We can go on.

Edited by the destroyer of worlds
  • Cheers 1

Getting rid of a Speaker mid-term is a big deal.  Having a member of your own party spearhead the thing is even bigger.

In Canada, we've only had to replace a Speaker mid-term 3 times.  Once the Speaker died.  We had a Speaker appointed to Governor General.  And finally, the Rota debacle.  

I mean, Pelosi got elected multiple times without this dysfunction.  This should be telling for any independent voter which party will more likely work and which party is all hat and no cattle.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Getting rid of a Speaker mid-term is a big deal.  Having a member of your own party spearhead the thing is even bigger.

In Canada, we've only had to replace a Speaker mid-term 3 times.  Once the Speaker died.  We had a Speaker appointed to Governor General.  And finally, the Rota debacle.  

I mean, Pelosi got elected multiple times without this dysfunction.  This should be telling for any independent voter which party will more likely work and which party is all hat and no cattle.

You can't compare Canada and the United States when talking about speakers of the house. They're two totally different roles. But I do agree with you the fact that his own party tossed him out and bragged about wanting to do it a year before an election has to show some sort of dysfunction. As I said previously, if this was in canada this infighting one year before an election that party would be left with likely no chance to form government.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Well, what is better for the country is the crazy is exposed, and loses their power.  This current version the the Grand Ole Party should be far far far away from power.  Space Laser Lady shouldn't be on important committees.  Groping BoBo.  There are others.  I mean, what kind of policies do they actually support that helps the little guy/gal?  Better healthcare?  Nope.  Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid?  Those are on the QOP block.  Environment?  Nope, drill baby drill.  We can go on.

People aren't collectively stupid.  Mostly just individually.  Both parties know that they have morons including the GOP.  Unfortunately they have the same problem many people on this board have.  Either, the Libs must be pwned or the GOP are all fascists.

The problem is extremism, left and right.  One side wants to give everything they can away to keep a certain block of voters in an effort to keep power while the other side wants to damn the consequences and hold programs hostage to get everything they want.  That's why there are so many independents these days.

6 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I want more people to pick a 3rd choice.  Sadly people are too wrapped up on trying to pwn the other side to even consider 3rd and 4th parties.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

I want more people to pick a 3rd choice.  Sadly people are too wrapped up on trying to pwn the other side to even consider 3rd and 4th parties.

Canada's been trying for years.  The best a 3rd party has done is leading the Opposition.  It's been Liberals or Conservatives.

• Cheers 1