US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

On 3/12/2024 at 5:33 PM, DSVII said:

Is the GOP majority in the house going to be down to 1 in less than 2 weeks?

https://newrepublic.com/post/179770/mike-johnson-no-idea-ken-buck-quitting-house-gop

Representative Ken Buck took to social media to announce his near-immediate leave from Congress, resigning so fast that even his party leaders were caught off guard by the decision.

“Today, I am announcing that I will depart Congress at the end of next week,” Buck said in a statement on Tuesday. “I look forward to staying involved in our political process, as well as spending more time in Colorado with my family.”

One thing that the article forgot to mention is that Buck leaving early has created all kinds of chaos for the special election for his seat, which now has to be held.  The plan is to have the special election and the primary in June, on the same day.   Chaos.

Boebert currently represents the 3rd District and is running in the QOP Primary for Buck's 4th District seat.  She will have to resign her seat in order to run in the special election. OR hope to win the primary and hope the lame duck winner of the special doesn't cry foul.

• Cheers 2

Trump is a national security risk. The USA military must be exploring various scenarios. There is likely dissension within the ranks but the critical concern would be the leadership. There will be support for Trump but General Milley probably represented the general attitude. Many Americans resent how most NATO partners have underspent on their militaries knowing the USA would cover them off. Trump plays that card all the time.

What is being lost is the generational opportunity for regime change in Russia. Who knows who would succeed Putin and his gang but odds are the long term result would be a more liberal form of government. While China might see this as an opportunity to pick off some Russian assets in the east their strategic ally would be lost. How would Europe view its future without the threat of the Russian bear. None of this can be lost in the war rooms of the USA military. America would face only one pariah, China, not two. Does the USA military allow one clown to stand in the way? I can imagine the very frank discussions being held right now.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Trump is a national security risk. The USA military must be exploring various scenarios. There is likely dissension within the ranks but the critical concern would be the leadership. There will be support for Trump but General Milley probably represented the general attitude. Many Americans resent how most NATO partners have underspent on their militaries knowing the USA would cover them off. Trump plays that card all the time.

What is being lost is the generational opportunity for regime change in Russia. Who knows who would succeed Putin and his gang but odds are the long term result would be a more liberal form of government. While China might see this as an opportunity to pick off some Russian assets in the east their strategic ally would be lost. How would Europe view its future without the threat of the Russian bear. None of this can be lost in the war rooms of the USA military. America would face only one pariah, China, not two. Does the USA military allow one clown to stand in the way? I can imagine the very frank discussions being held right now.

The US is going to be the new pariah if Trump wins his war on democracy.

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The US is going to be the new pariah if Trump wins his war on democracy.

Thusly the reason for my post. I see a Trump presidency as that of opportunism as he takes advantage of world situations. That over layered by traditional isolationism. That won’t work in today’s world. USA instability or indecisiveness will cause international chaos and economic recession. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Who does RFK hurt more, Biden or Clown?

My first instinct is to say Bone Spurs, because there seem to be more anti-vaxxers among republicans, but most of those are going to be concentrated in deep Red states, where the second coming of Washington would lose if he were running as a Democrat.

I'm going to say it's a toss up, with maybe a very small advantage to Biden, if anyone.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Trump Claims Bill Clinton Stored Classified Material ‘In His Socks’ and Hillary Destroyed Emails With Actual Acid

https://www.mediaite.com/news/trump-claims-bill-clinton-stored-classified-material-in-his-socks-and-hillary-destroyed-emails-with-actual-acid/

So, I guess the question becomes, which is more secure, Slick Willy's sock drawer, or the public shitter at Mara-Lardo? :classic_unsure:

Personally, I think the criticism of Trump is a little overblown.....I mean, who doesn't keep some light reading in the bathroom?

On 3/12/2024 at 5:33 PM, DSVII said:

Is the GOP majority in the house going to be down to 1 in less than 2 weeks?

https://newrepublic.com/post/179770/mike-johnson-no-idea-ken-buck-quitting-house-gop

Representative Ken Buck took to social media to announce his near-immediate leave from Congress, resigning so fast that even his party leaders were caught off guard by the decision.

“Today, I am announcing that I will depart Congress at the end of next week,” Buck said in a statement on Tuesday. “I look forward to staying involved in our political process, as well as spending more time in Colorado with my family.”

Gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed about this.....

I've read articles from several news outlets about this and not a single "The Buck Stops Here!" headline....:classic_dry:

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

image.thumb.png.6d3b7f489226de50186125ecb9592103.png

Michele Morrow, a conservative activist who last week upset the incumbent Superintendent of Public Instruction in North Carolina’s Republican primary, expressed support in 2020 for the televised execution of former President Barack Obama and suggested killing then-President-elect Joe Biden.

In other comments, Morrow repeatedly shared the false claim that Obama was Muslim, called Islam evil, and expressed belief in a conspiracy theory that tens of thousands of Chinese troops were stationed in Canada to invade the United States to help Joe Biden become president.

“Tens of thousands of Chinese soldiers are already in Canada and probably Mexico waiting for orders to invade,” she wrote on January 8, 2021.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/14/politics/kfile-gop-nominee-north-carolina-public-schools-michele-morrow-executing-democrats/index.html

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The president is commander in chief of the military.  If Trump wins a second term, he'll likely force the resignations of any officers, including generals, that work against him.

You can't have a military make it's own policies.  That's how you end up with a coup d'état and go down the slippery slope of either military totalitarianism or devolve slowly into a 3rd world country, or both.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-florida-classified-documents-dismiss-rcna143135

Judge denies one of Trump's motions to dismiss classified documents case

U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon issued the ruling after hearing daylong arguments from lawyers for the former president and special counsel Jack Smith's office.
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1