US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Speaking of Republican assholes, former Trump aide Peter Navarro  is asking the Supreme Court for a get out of jail free card:

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/03/15/navarro-scotus-jan-6-00147420

There's a special place in jail for scumbags like Peter Navarro.....

Roomies with big Bubba would do him some good lol. Well maybe just do him.

• Thanks 1

My personal opinion; based off not much other than the republican debates, some recent clips of Trump, and seeing dementia joe in action for 4 years, is that the Dems are probably scrambling to either replace Joe or 'alter' the process.

Trump is still an egotistical lunatic but is very popular - and a definite threat to their control. Although they did think Hilary would win in an absolute landslide, so maybe I'm giving their intellect/ability too much credit.

Its kinda crazy when you willingly/enthusiastically run a candidate so bad that even Donald Trump beats you, of all people. But to be fair they did drag Joe's carcass across the finish line, so maybe they have their shit in order.

Will be interesting to see what they do. Ultimately America could be headed towards divorce (probably for the best) and neither side can seemingly tolerate the other, so whats even the point. 

John Roberts Just Dropped the Hammer on Rogue, Lawless Trump Judges

For more than a decade, conservative plaintiffs have been gaming the judiciary by filing lawsuits before a hard-right judge who’s guaranteed to rule in their favor. Worse, a handful of Republican-appointed judges have made a habit of issuing sweeping decisions that apply nationwide—hobbling the federal government, short-circuiting the democratic process, and transferring inconceivable amounts of power into the hands of a few unelected jurists. The Judicial Conference of the United States, which makes policy for the federal courts, finally struck a blow against this cynical gamesmanship on Tuesday, announcing a new rule to restore the random assignment of cases and close the loophole that lets plaintiffs hand-pick their judges.

On the Slate Plus bonus segment of Saturday’s Amicus, Dahlia Lithwick and Mark Joseph Stern discuss the new policy and its furious reception among the fringe-right faction of the judiciary. Below is a preview of their conversation, which has been condensed and edited for clarity.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/john-roberts-just-dropped-hammer-190412406.html

Mitch McConnell Urges Courts To Ignore New Rules Meant To Prevent 'Judge-Shopping'

Senate Republicans attacked new rules released by a federal judicial rule-making body on Wednesday preventing the practice of “judge-shopping,” which conservatives have used to ensure they get a favorable hearing when trying to strike down Biden administration policies.

The new rules issued by the Judicial Conference of the United States ― a 26-member body that oversees the federal judiciary ― say that if a case seeks a national injunction to reverse or block a federal government policy, it must be randomly assigned to a judge within the district court in which the case was filed.

The conference is led by Chief Justice John Roberts, and consists of the chief judges of each circuit court of appeals as well as representatives from the district courts.

“This was an unforced error by the Judicial Conference. I hope they will reconsider,” Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said in a Senate floor speech on Thursday. “And I hope district courts throughout the country will instead weigh what is best for their jurisdictions, not half-baked ‘guidance’ that just does Washington Democrats’ bidding.”

The new rules put forward by the conference followed years of controversy over the practice of judge-shopping exploited by conservatives. Conservative activist groups and GOP attorneys general have increasingly directed their lawsuits against Biden administration policies to single-judge geographical divisions in Texas where they know they will get a sympathetic hearing.

In particular, conservatives have repeatedly filed suit on issues of national importance in the Amarillo, Texas, federal courthouse in the Northern Texas federal district. That’s because the Amarillo courthouse has only one judge: the conservative activist and Trump appointee Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk.

Kacsmaryk has consistently sided with conservatives in a series of highly controversial decisions that are often overturned on appeal. In 2021, he prevented the Biden administration from ending former President Donald Trump’s “Remain in Mexico” immigration policy. That was eventually overturned by the Supreme Court. And, most notably, he issued a nationwide injunction blocking the distribution of the abortion drug mifepristone. That decision was put on hold by the Supreme Court as it hears arguments on appeal.

In addition to his floor speech, McConnell sent a letter with GOP Sens. John Cornyn (Texas) and Thom Tillis (N.C.) to David Godbey ― the chief judge of the District Court of the Northern District of Texas, where Kacsmaryk’s Amarillo courthouse is situated ― urging him to ignore the Judicial Conference’s new rules.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mitch-mcconnell-urges-courts-ignore-214428726.html

(more in both links)

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

My personal opinion; based off not much other than the republican debates, some recent clips of Trump, and seeing dementia joe in action for 4 years, is that the Dems are probably scrambling to either replace Joe or 'alter' the process.

Trump is still an egotistical lunatic but is very popular - and a definite threat to their control. Although they did think Hilary would win in an absolute landslide, so maybe I'm giving their intellect/ability too much credit.

Its kinda crazy when you willingly/enthusiastically run a candidate so bad that even Donald Trump beats you, of all people. But to be fair they did drag Joe's carcass across the finish line, so maybe they have their shit in order.

Will be interesting to see what they do. Ultimately America could be headed towards divorce (probably for the best) and neither side can seemingly tolerate the other, so whats even the point. 

People overlooked just how loathed Killery was to the independent voter.  Yet in spite of that, she still won the popular vote and lost the electoral college vote by a pretty slim margin.

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

John Roberts Just Dropped the Hammer on Rogue, Lawless Trump Judges

For more than a decade, conservative plaintiffs have been gaming the judiciary by filing lawsuits before a hard-right judge who’s guaranteed to rule in their favor. Worse, a handful of Republican-appointed judges have made a habit of issuing sweeping decisions that apply nationwide—hobbling the federal government, short-circuiting the democratic process, and transferring inconceivable amounts of power into the hands of a few unelected jurists. The Judicial Conference of the United States, which makes policy for the federal courts, finally struck a blow against this cynical gamesmanship on Tuesday, announcing a new rule to restore the random assignment of cases and close the loophole that lets plaintiffs hand-pick their judges.

On the Slate Plus bonus segment of Saturday’s Amicus, Dahlia Lithwick and Mark Joseph Stern discuss the new policy and its furious reception among the fringe-right faction of the judiciary. Below is a preview of their conversation, which has been condensed and edited for clarity.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/john-roberts-just-dropped-hammer-190412406.html

Mitch McConnell Urges Courts To Ignore New Rules Meant To Prevent 'Judge-Shopping'

Senate Republicans attacked new rules released by a federal judicial rule-making body on Wednesday preventing the practice of “judge-shopping,” which conservatives have used to ensure they get a favorable hearing when trying to strike down Biden administration policies.

The new rules issued by the Judicial Conference of the United States ― a 26-member body that oversees the federal judiciary ― say that if a case seeks a national injunction to reverse or block a federal government policy, it must be randomly assigned to a judge within the district court in which the case was filed.

The conference is led by Chief Justice John Roberts, and consists of the chief judges of each circuit court of appeals as well as representatives from the district courts.

“This was an unforced error by the Judicial Conference. I hope they will reconsider,” Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said in a Senate floor speech on Thursday. “And I hope district courts throughout the country will instead weigh what is best for their jurisdictions, not half-baked ‘guidance’ that just does Washington Democrats’ bidding.”

The new rules put forward by the conference followed years of controversy over the practice of judge-shopping exploited by conservatives. Conservative activist groups and GOP attorneys general have increasingly directed their lawsuits against Biden administration policies to single-judge geographical divisions in Texas where they know they will get a sympathetic hearing.

In particular, conservatives have repeatedly filed suit on issues of national importance in the Amarillo, Texas, federal courthouse in the Northern Texas federal district. That’s because the Amarillo courthouse has only one judge: the conservative activist and Trump appointee Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk.

Kacsmaryk has consistently sided with conservatives in a series of highly controversial decisions that are often overturned on appeal. In 2021, he prevented the Biden administration from ending former President Donald Trump’s “Remain in Mexico” immigration policy. That was eventually overturned by the Supreme Court. And, most notably, he issued a nationwide injunction blocking the distribution of the abortion drug mifepristone. That decision was put on hold by the Supreme Court as it hears arguments on appeal.

In addition to his floor speech, McConnell sent a letter with GOP Sens. John Cornyn (Texas) and Thom Tillis (N.C.) to David Godbey ― the chief judge of the District Court of the Northern District of Texas, where Kacsmaryk’s Amarillo courthouse is situated ― urging him to ignore the Judicial Conference’s new rules.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mitch-mcconnell-urges-courts-ignore-214428726.html

(more in both links)

Pretty rich of McConnell referring to Roberts as, "doing Washington Democrats' bidding"....:classic_rolleyes:

The Dobbs decision must have somehow slipped his mind....:classic_dry:

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

People overlooked just how loathed Killery was to the independent voter.  Yet in spite of that, she still won the popular vote and lost the electoral college vote by a pretty slim margin.

Yet one has to wonder why....

A graduate of Yale Law School, published author, two term Senator, Secretary of State and former First Lady. She was easily the most qualified and experienced of the two, yet those same Independents decided they would vote for the guy who referred to Mexicans as drug dealers and rapists.....

Now we have a Vice President who also seems to be "loathed", yet I can see no reason for such a level of dislike....

There's something about those two....I wonder what it could be? The fact that not a single POTUS in 250 years has been a woman must be a coincidence, amirite? :classic_rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

A graduate of Yale Law School, published author, two term Senator, Secretary of State and former First Lady. She was easily the most qualified and experienced of the two, yet those same Independents decided they would vote for the guy who referred to Mexicans as drug dealers and rapists.....

Now we have a Vice President who also seems to be "loathed", yet I can see no reason for such a level of dislike....

There's something about those two....I wonder what it could be? The fact that not a single POTUS in 250 years has been a woman must be a coincidence, amirite? :classic_rolleyes:

Perception unfortunately 'trumps' reality.  Look no further than Al "personality of a Mike Gillis" Gore (back then) vs GWB (not very bright but somebody you might have a beer with).

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

While being a woman sure played a role but not like there isn't plenty of reasons to dislike both. Hilary being a chicken hawk and the latter's actions as a DA for instance. 

6 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

While being a woman sure played a role but not like there isn't plenty of reasons to dislike both. Hilary being a chicken hawk and the latter's actions as a DA for instance. 

While both of those are legit criticisms, neither is justification for the level of disdain directed at both.

My opinion is that gender plays a significant role in both cases. People are free to disagree with that assessment, but you won't convince me otherwise.

• Cheers 1

The the party that rails against 3 letter organizations and government regulations gradually is ok with cutting budgets and putting the fox in charge of the henhouse.

Maybe, just maybe a better funded and stronger FAA could have prevented the recent rash of issues.  Maybe

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisagarcia/2019/03/18/did-trump-executive-orders-further-weaken-faa-oversight/?sh=1a5520a43ca7

Did Trump Executive Orders Further Weaken FAA Oversight?

What could go wrong?

Trump Promises There Will Be ‘Bloodbath For The Country’ If He Doesn’t Win Against Biden

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-promises-there-will-be-bloodbath-for-the-country-if-he-doesnt-win-against-biden/

Trump Promises There Will Be ‘Bloodbath For The Country’ If He Doesn’t Win Against Biden

Former President Donald Trump claimed that there “will be a bloodbath for the country” if he does not defeat President Joe Biden in November.

The Republican presidential nominee spoke to supporters in Dayton, Ohio, on Saturday where he made a grave warning if voters chose to reject him for a second time in the upcoming presidential race.

During his speech, Trump railed against electric cars while claiming foreign countries, such as Mexico and China, have taken over the U.S. automobile manufacturing over the last three decades.

Trump vowed to levy a “100% tariff” on cars manufactured in Mexico and sold in the United States if he gets elected.

“If you’re listening, President XI,” Trump told the crowd. “Those big monster car manufacturing plants that you’re building in Mexico right now, and you think you’re going to get that, you’re going to not hire Americans and you’re going to sell the cars as now we’re going to put a 100% tariff on every single car that comes across the line, and you’re not going to be able to sell those guys if I get elected.”

Trump then pivots briefly in his speech where promises there will be a bloodbath across the country if he doesn’t get elected.

“Now, if I don’t get elected, it’s going to be a bloodbath for the whole — That’s going to be the least of it,” said Trump. “It’s going to be a bloodbath for the country.”

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

What could go wrong?

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-promises-there-will-be-bloodbath-for-the-country-if-he-doesnt-win-against-biden/

Former President Donald Trump claimed that there “will be a bloodbath for the country” if he does not defeat President Joe Biden in November.

The Republican presidential nominee spoke to supporters in Dayton, Ohio, on Saturday where he made a grave warning if voters chose to reject him for a second time in the upcoming presidential race.

During his speech, Trump railed against electric cars while claiming foreign countries, such as Mexico and China, have taken over the U.S. automobile manufacturing over the last three decades.

Trump vowed to levy a “100% tariff” on cars manufactured in Mexico and sold in the United States if he gets elected.

“If you’re listening, President XI,” Trump told the crowd. “Those big monster car manufacturing plants that you’re building in Mexico right now, and you think you’re going to get that, you’re going to not hire Americans and you’re going to sell the cars as now we’re going to put a 100% tariff on every single car that comes across the line, and you’re not going to be able to sell those guys if I get elected.”

Trump then pivots briefly in his speech where promises there will be a bloodbath across the country if he doesn’t get elected.

“Now, if I don’t get elected, it’s going to be a bloodbath for the whole — That’s going to be the least of it,” said Trump. “It’s going to be a bloodbath for the country.”

Great idea....

If you want to curb immigration from Central America, killing jobs in Mexico is exactly how to go about it....

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

While both of those are legit criticisms, neither is justification for the level of disdain directed at both.

My opinion is that gender plays a significant role in both cases. People are free to disagree with that assessment, but you won't convince me otherwise.

Kamala jailed parents whose kids skipped school...I am sure that really helped those kids. 

And Hilary smells like sulfur..legit lizard person. Or so my friend Alex Jones told me...   😆 

6 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Kamala jailed parents whose kids skipped school...I am sure that really helped those kids. 

And Hilary smells like sulfur..legit lizard person. Or so my friend Alex Jones told me...   😆 

I doubt the average American has a clue what Harris did as a prosecutor. In fact, I'd bet a lot of them don't even know she was one....

I won't bother responding to the lizard thing, but I suppose we can agree to disagree on the gender issue.

Just now, RupertKBD said:

I doubt the average American has a clue what Harris did as a prosecutor. In fact, I'd bet a lot of them don't even know she was one....

I won't bother responding to the lizard thing, but I suppose we can agree to disagree on the gender issue.

Oh I acknowledged I think it is a factor. I just mostly wanted to make the sulfur/Alex Jones comment for the lulz 😄

15 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I could see gender playing SOME role, but I doubt significant.  
That would be ignoring who those two women are as people. 

Hillary is about as gross and unlikable as a person can get.  
Resume looks good, but she is just a god awful person.  

With Kamala, the dems don’t like her because she is basically a cop, and they are a bunch of defund the police goofballs.  
The republicans don’t like here because she is a democrat.   And probably because she is black.  

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I could see gender playing SOME role, but I doubt significant.  
That would be ignoring who those two women are as people. 

Hillary is about as gross and unlikable as a person can get.  
Resume looks good, but she is just a god awful person.  

With Kamala, the dems don’t like her because she is basically a cop, and they are a bunch of defund the police goofballs.  
The republicans don’t like here because she is a democrat.   And probably because she is black. 

Disagree. I think gender plays into it a lot. 250 years.....not a single female POTUS and only one candidate.

As far as Kamala goes, what did Mike Pence do before he got into politics? What about Dan Quayle? Nobody knows. Nobody cares. You're probably onto something with her being black though.....although I'm not sure how you can think that's a factor and her gender isn't.

As I already did with @Gnarcore, we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

• Upvote 1

'Boyt? Huh?': Donald Trump's most ridiculed 'glitches' from Ohio rally

During his customary retelling of "The Snake" but redirected toward illegal immigrants, the ex-president fumbled with the word "bite."

"You've bit me but why?!" Trump shouted. "You know your boyght is poisonous."

@SitaRose27 wrote in response, "You know what they say about snakes, watch out for that boight!"

@Lucybelle47 wrote, "Boyt? Huh?"

Trump also attempted to give a shout-out to MAGA-backed Bernie Moreno, who at one point supported LGBTQ rights before turning against them, but fumbled his name, instead pronouncing it "Marino."

A popular account called "Spiro's Ghost" replied:

"Dementia J. Trump can't even pronounce his sycophant's name. SAD!"

At one point, Trump's frustration grew so much that he lashed out at the teleprompter company.

"Don't pay the teleprompter company," he said after bragging he didn't need the device.

In another bewildering move, Trump actually says that "Joe Biden won against Barack Obama."

Spiro's Ghost said, "Ok. This is CONSPICUOUS DEMENTIA. Under any theory of thought this makes no sense at all. Wtf? WAKE UP MSM."

Former MSNBC host Keith Olbermann responded, saying that "not only is Trump hallucinating and on the verge of complete cognitive collapse but if you can bear to listen to it, the second time, he says, 'Obaba.'"

Trump also appeared to pronounce the "Rolling Stones" wrong, saying "Rolling Storns."

• Haha 1
  • chaos 1