US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Why doesn't he just mortgage a property if he's worth $10 Billion?

It's interesting that not a single surety bond provider is willing to accept Trump's real estate as collateral. Clearly they will accept real estate as collateral for the right risk/return so this is a big signal that they view Trump's properties as either being worth less than he claims (I know big surprise) that they aren't enough collateral or they are so risky (too likely that they will drop in value) that companies like Chubb won't touch them.

No one in the financial industry which is based on risk wants anything to do with this financial sinkhole.

The dotard needs more money to come flooding in from Putler. Bad timing Drumpf, Vladdy is pissing it all away killing innocent people. 

IMG_7211.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Don't patronize me bud

Patronize- treat in a way that is apparently kind or helpful but that betrays a feeling of superiority.

I'm not patronizing you.  I've used definitions in my post plenty of times to others.  I do it because on occasion I either misunderstand someone or I try to make my point as cxlear as possible.

In this case, I was attempting to make myself clear.  I even made an edit right after my original post and left clarification as the reason.

My apologies if you took that as me being a douche.  That was most certainly not my intent.

54 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Picking and choosing in America I guess is ok, so long as it means "the interwebz are protected from oversight"  Just don't say gay or read one of those bad books.

Will be interesting to see what happens when those vile lefty sites break those first amendment laws by enforcing their terms and conditions

The right to speak and the right to publish under the First Amendment has been interpreted widely to protect individuals and society from government attempts to suppress ideas and information, and to forbid government censorship of books, magazines, and newspapers as well as art, film, music and materials on the ...

I was all for Twitter making their own rules as I am all for X making theirs.  The government however needs to keep their collective noses out of private citizen speech.

As for your bolded statement, it's bang on.  It's one of the few non-sports things that I respond to on Twitter/X.  When someone whines about being censored on social media and tries to claim 1st amendment rights, I educate them on the fact that just like they can kick someone off of their property for anything that they say, companies are allowed to do the same exact thing.  The 1st amendment doesn't control private party actions, just governmental ones.

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Why doesn't he just mortgage a property if he's worth $10 Billion?

It's interesting that not a single surety bond provider is willing to accept Trump's real estate as collateral. Clearly they will accept real estate as collateral for the right risk/return so this is a big signal that they view Trump's properties as either being worth less than he claims (I know big surprise) that they aren't enough collateral or they are so risky (too likely that they will drop in value) that companies like Chubb won't touch them.

No one in the financial industry which is based on risk wants anything to do with this financial sinkhole.

I was wondering the same thing.....

If he's as rich as he claims to be, scraping together a half a billion dollars should be easy......I mean he'd never lie about how much he's worth, amirite? :classic_rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I was wondering the same thing.....

If he's as rich as he claims to be, scraping together a half a billion dollars should be easy......I mean he'd never lie about how much he's worth, amirite? :classic_rolleyes:

What's funny is that Trump Tower alone has been appraised in the past for hundreds of millions.  If that isn't being accepted as collateral, then he's already mortgaged at least half of it's worth.

They're either trying to force him into a collateral deal that he doesn't want to risk/do, like put up his Florida resort, or he's leveraged to the gills.

I also imagine that they are also concerned that he'll just declare another business bankruptcy in order to avoid paying as much of the money back that he can. 

His past shady dealings are coming back to bite him on the rump.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

What's funny is that Trump Tower alone has been appraised in the past for hundreds of millions.  If that isn't being accepted as collateral, then he's already mortgaged at least half of it's worth.

They're either trying to force him into a collateral deal that he doesn't want to risk/do, like put up his Florida resort, or he's leveraged to the gills.

I also imagine that they are also concerned that he'll just declare another business bankruptcy in order to avoid paying as much of the money back that he can. 

His past shady dealings are coming back to bite him on the rump.

I read somewhere that the penalty is "bankruptcy protected". Unfortunately I'm far too lazy to go and find where I saw it.

I agree with you assessment of him being highly leveraged already. I think that's the most likely scenario.

8 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

He’s actually not wrong.  
The team is being sued by a native group wanting the name and logo to stay.  
Just like when Edmonton Eskimos changed their name.  

It tends to be woke white folks who claim it’s racist and push to get the changes.  

It's been long known that the term "Eskimo" is derogatory towards the Inuit people. Learn you're history before you start blaming everything under the sun on "woke white folks"

Also, I find it hilarious when anyone thinks calling anyone woke is bad. All woke really means is to not conform with society and to be actually progressive in thought. It literally is a compliment used long before the right wing suddenly decided it was bad. If you think it's not a compliment, all it shows is how brainwashed you are, unable to think for yourself.

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

It's been long known that the term "Eskimo" is derogatory towards the Inuit people. Learn you're history before you start blaming everything under the sun on "woke white folks"

Also, I find it hilarious when anyone thinks calling anyone woke is bad. All woke really means is to not conform with society and to be actually progressive in thought. It literally is a compliment used long before the right wing suddenly decided it was bad. If you think it's not a compliment, all it shows is how brainwashed you are.

I never said it was an insult……

great post though!

34 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Trump Says He Will Decide 'Pretty Soon' On Proposing A National Abortion Ban

Fox News pressed the presumptive GOP nominee about a recent report that he was considering a 16-week national abortion ban.

And the GOP have just lost the election.

Anyone voting for Trump or running under the GOP banner will not be able to escape being labeled and anti abortionist or a forced birth activist.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I read somewhere that the penalty is "bankruptcy protected". Unfortunately I'm far too lazy to go and find where I saw it.

I agree with you assessment of him being highly leveraged already. I think that's the most likely scenario.

That's interesting.  I know certain kinds of debts to the government are bankruptcy protected, but I didn't know that businesses could sign away bankruptcy protection to commercial lenders.  Though to be fair, my family would have liquidated our business down to the last bolts and nuts before we even thought of declaring.  Though that was never a relevant concern because almost all of our jobs were bidded state jobs and they were all bonded and insured.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That's interesting.  I know certain kinds of debts to the government are bankruptcy protected, but I didn't know that businesses could sign away bankruptcy protection to commercial lenders.  Though to be fair, my family would have liquidated our business down to the last bolts and nuts before we even thought of declaring.  Though that was never a relevant concern because almost all of our jobs were bidded state jobs and they were all bonded and insured.

So apparently I was half right. If the Trump Org declares bankruptcy, Trump is still on the hook, but it looks as though he could declare personal bankruptcy and get some relief. At least that's how I read this paragraph from an AP article on it:

Can he or his businesses declare bankruptcy?

Under the judge’s ruling Friday, Trump would still be liable to pay even if the Trump Organization declares bankruptcy. If Trump personally declared bankruptcy, the enforcement of the judgment against him would be paused. But political commenters say such a drastic step is unlikely.

https://apnews.com/article/trump-fraud-carroll-fines-82d423b8e7a7f9a32470729c5f4410e5

25 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I like that Harris is talking legalization. 

So do my weed stocks.

Stay away from NY weed stocks.  Cuomo and the state legislature made a giant mess of legalization and licensure.  Hochul has already admitted that she has no idea how to fix it.

• Cheers 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

So apparently I was half right. If the Trump Org declares bankruptcy, Trump is still on the hook, but it looks as though he could declare personal bankruptcy and get some relief. At least that's how I read this paragraph from an AP article on it:

https://apnews.com/article/trump-fraud-carroll-fines-82d423b8e7a7f9a32470729c5f4410e5

You have a tough time escaping certain court judgments with a bankruptcy for sure.

But for purposes of our conversation, I think private lenders have far less bankruptcy protection.  That's where I'm guessing their hesitancy is coming from with Trump.  If he's already pretty leveraged and he won't put up unleveraged properties, they're taking on too much risk with a chronic bankruptcy filer like Trump.

That's just my speculation though.  I've never declared so I only know what I can remember from reading about it in articles in the past.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

You have a tough time escaping certain court judgments with a bankruptcy for sure.

But for purposes of our conversation, I think private lenders have far less bankruptcy protection.  That's where I'm guessing their hesitancy is coming from with Trump.  If he's already pretty leveraged and he won't put up unleveraged properties, they're taking on too much risk with a chronic bankruptcy filer like Trump.

That's just my speculation though.  I've never declared so I only know what I can remember from reading about it in articles in the past.

100%. I already agreed on that point.

I did find it ironic however, that a guy who says he's worth 10 billion can't scrape up 1/20th of that amount. I mean, shouldn't he have that much in his couch cushions? :classic_cool:

• Vintage 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

I did find it ironic however, that a guy who says he's worth 10 billion can't scrape up 1/20th of that amount. I mean, shouldn't he have that much in his couch cushions? :classic_cool:

You can't mean the same guy who pretended to be his own publicist named John Miller?!  That guy would never lie about his net worth!!!  🤣

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/05/13/donald-trump-people-magazine-washington/84333614/

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

You can't mean the same guy who pretended to be his own publicist named John Miller?!  That guy would never lie about his net worth!!!  🤣

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/05/13/donald-trump-people-magazine-washington/84333614/

I actually heard that call years ago....I think it was on Real Time, or John Oliver....

It was so obvious who it was. It was like he wasn't even trying to hide it.....:picard:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I actually heard that call years ago....I think it was on Real Time, or John Oliver....

It was so obvious who it was. It was like he wasn't even trying to hide it.....:picard:

There's also this one that I just remembered.  It's actually fairly apropos to his recent claims of his net worth.  This made even bigger news when it came out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/trump-lied-to-me-about-his-wealth-to-get-onto-the-forbes-400-here-are-the-tapes/2018/04/20/ac762b08-4287-11e8-8569-26fda6b404c7_story.html

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

"Happy?" :classic_huh: I don't think I said anything about being "happy" that she's Biden's running mate....:classic_unsure:

I said I don't think her history as a prosecutor has much, if anything to do with her approval rating. I stand by that assertion.

I also said that I don't believe replacing her would boost the Democrats' chances in the general election, unless you could somehow manage to find another black woman with a higher approval rating and political experience, who actually wants the job.

Would I be "happy" if Michelle were on the ticket? You bet, but she's not interested in the job.

I get that. At the end of the day, I just want the best chance for someone to beat the orange psycho. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I get that. At the end of the day, I just want the best chance for someone to beat the orange psycho.

Well, we certainly agree on that Jimmy.....:classic_wink:

• MillerTime 1

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

What Mark doesn't seem to understand is that none of these guys became billionaires by giving money to con men....

It's Trump, they all want the money up front because they know his property is overpriced 😂

• Cheers 2