US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Yet another example of how the SCOTUS is running interference for Bone Spurs....Yesterday they rejected an appeal from a guy named Couy Griffin, the leader of a group of dipshits called "Cowboys for Trump".

Griffin wanted to run for state office in New Mexico, but was kicked off the ballot for participating in the Jan 6th events. The plaintiffs in Griffin's case cited the same Constitutional provision that Colorado had cited when removing Trump from the ballot. (The so-called Insurrection clause of the 14th amendment) However, the Supreme Court Justices cut themselves a loophole, which they used to allow Trump to slither through. They managed to square their two disparate decisions by declaring that State legislatures have the right to exclude candidates based on the above clause, but the same restrictions cannot be used to exclude Federal candidates....

So.....according to the Supreme Court, if Stewart Rhodes decides to run for Congress, there's nothing anyone can do to prevent him from getting on the ballot. (other than common sense and decency that is, but, you know....) However, the guy who rode a horse and tried to lead the rioters in prayer with a bullhorn can't be allowed to run for County Commissioner in New Mexico.

Different laws for me and thee....:classic_dry:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/madness-critics-blast-scotus-decision-to-bar-nm-official-not-trump-from-office-over-jan-6/ar-BB1k7fDQ?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=3b16c7b0aaed4e7284c17ceb3f5eadbb&ei=72

More detail in the above link

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Yet another example of how the SCOTUS is running interference for Bone Spurs....Yesterday they rejected an appeal from a guy named Couy Griffin, the leader of a group of dipshits called "Cowboys for Trump".

Griffin wanted to run for state office in New Mexico, but was kicked off the ballot for participating in the Jan 6th events. The plaintiffs in Griffin's case cited the same Constitutional provision that Colorado had cited when removing Trump from the ballot. (The so-called Insurrection clause of the 14th amendment) However, the Supreme Court Justices cut themselves a loophole, which they used to allow Trump to slither through. They managed to square their two disparate decisions by declaring that State legislatures have the right to exclude candidates based on the above clause, but the same restrictions cannot be used to exclude Federal candidates....

So.....according to the Supreme Court, if Stewart Rhodes decides to run for Congress, there's nothing anyone can do to prevent him from getting on the ballot. (other than common sense and decency that is, but, you know....) However, the guy who rode a horse and tried to lead the rioters in prayer with a bullhorn can't be allowed to run for County Commissioner in New Mexico.

Different laws for me and thee....:classic_dry:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/madness-critics-blast-scotus-decision-to-bar-nm-official-not-trump-from-office-over-jan-6/ar-BB1k7fDQ?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=3b16c7b0aaed4e7284c17ceb3f5eadbb&ei=72

More detail in the above link

The SCOTUS said that it is up to the state to bar people running for state positions and it is up to Congress to bar people from running for federal office.

The Congress so far has refused to do so.  The state of New Mexico told this guy to go pound rocks.

Trump can still be taken off of the ballot at any time.  The SCOTUS didn't flat out prevent that from happening.  Chuck Schumer can still try and stump for a bill in the Senate to stop Trump.  All he would need is 5 or 6 Republicans in the House.  That's very doable since the GOP doesn't want Trump and I'm sure they would like control of the RNC again.  The only impediment would be a filibuster but that could be overcome if Schumer cut some deals with the few staunchly maga senators.  As far as I can tell, Schumer hasn't even tried.

The SCOTUS ruling is working as intended.  It's just there are people, mostly (not all) on the left of the political spectrum that are still complaining that they didn't get what they wanted.  Their elected party leaders aren't even trying to give them what they want.

43 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The SCOTUS said that it is up to the state to bar people running for state positions and it is up to Congress to bar people from running for federal office.

The Congress so far has refused to do so.  The state of New Mexico told this guy to go pound rocks.

Trump can still be taken off of the ballot at any time.  The SCOTUS didn't flat out prevent that from happening.  Chuck Schumer can still try and stump for a bill in the Senate to stop Trump.  All he would need is 5 or 6 Republicans in the House.  That's very doable since the GOP doesn't want Trump and I'm sure they would like control of the RNC again.  The only impediment would be a filibuster but that could be overcome if Schumer cut some deals with the few staunchly maga senators.  As far as I can tell, Schumer hasn't even tried.

The SCOTUS ruling is working as intended.  It's just there are people, mostly (not all) on the left of the political spectrum that are still complaining that they didn't get what they wanted.  Their elected party leaders aren't even trying to give them what they want.

Yes, put it in the hands of a completely partisan Congress.

I'm sure that's what the framers of the Constitution intended.:classic_rolleyes:

Just now, Kootenay Gold said:

I hope this POS gets the full treatment from Bubba while serving his time. Corrupt, entitled and arrogant; SOB should have gotten twice what he was given.

Nah. He's going to be at a Club Fed.....

Last I heard was someplace next door to a Zoo, that houses "elderly" inmates. He probably won't even serve the full sentence.

Speaking of scumbags going to prison, you'll never guess who is suing George Stephanopoulos and ABC News.....

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4541257-trump-sues-abc-stephanopoulos-alleging-defamation-mace-interview/

Of course, this litigation will only add to Trump's mounting legal bills, but hey, you've got to spend money to make money, amirite?

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Nah. He's going to be at a Club Fed.....

Last I heard was someplace next door to a Zoo, that houses "elderly" inmates. He probably won't even serve the full sentence.

CNN reported that he’d be out in 90 days. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I know it is a YouTube video.  This breaks down the case that will likely end Habba's legal career.  And yes, it is scummy and disgusting.  

Tough break for Alina....

Still, there's always Only Fans....

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Yes, put it in the hands of a completely partisan Congress.

I'm sure that's what the framers of the Constitution intended.:classic_rolleyes:

You realize Congress has always been pretty partisan, right? 

The biggest problems with Congress arose when the US political system was distilled down to two parties.  It was always George Washington's concern that would happen.  That's why he warned the country against it before he left office.

Either way, the Supreme Court unanimously, both liberals and conservatives, decided that the states should not have that kind of influence over federal elections.  With states like Texas and my state of NY that have a lot of electoral votes, I agree with the court.  Singular states should not be able to influence who becomes president.

Edited by Sabrefan1
added to last paragraph to make point clearer

31 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Speaking of scumbags going to prison, you'll never guess who is suing George Stephanopoulos and ABC News.....

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4541257-trump-sues-abc-stephanopoulos-alleging-defamation-mace-interview/

Of course, this litigation will only add to Trump's mounting legal bills, but hey, you've got to spend money to make money, amirite?

WTF?!?!   
I love George.  
He was fantastic when I was growing up watching Much Music.  
He has been great on CBC for years too!

🫣

• Haha 3

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/target-on-the-back-of-every-brown-person-scotus-slammed-for-show-me-your-papers-ruling/ar-BB1kbnqB?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=ad3c7300339d4b21b618b6b48114713d&ei=63

"The U.S. Supreme Court has rejected a Biden administration emergency request and is allowing the State of Texas to enforce Governor Greg Abbott’s new anti-immigrant law that some say is largely similar to Arizona’s highly-controversial “show me your papers” law. SCOTUS struck down Arizona’s SB 1070 a dozen years ago, and a lower court has already ruled the Texas law is likely unconstitutional.

------------------------------------

This paragraph stands out:

American Immigration Council policy director Aaron Reichlin-Melnick also blasted the decision.

“Beginning this moment, Texas law enforcement officers can arrest any person in the state they believe crossed illegally,” he writes. “And judges can now order people to walk back into Mexico at threat of 20 years in prison if they don’t—even if the person has federal permission to be here.”

---------------------

Mal

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/target-on-the-back-of-every-brown-person-scotus-slammed-for-show-me-your-papers-ruling/ar-BB1kbnqB?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=ad3c7300339d4b21b618b6b48114713d&ei=63

"The U.S. Supreme Court has rejected a Biden administration emergency request and is allowing the State of Texas to enforce Governor Greg Abbott’s new anti-immigrant law that some say is largely similar to Arizona’s highly-controversial “show me your papers” law. SCOTUS struck down Arizona’s SB 1070 a dozen years ago, and a lower court has already ruled the Texas law is likely unconstitutional.

------------------------------------

This paragraph stands out:

American Immigration Council policy director Aaron Reichlin-Melnick also blasted the decision.

“Beginning this moment, Texas law enforcement officers can arrest any person in the state they believe crossed illegally,” he writes. “And judges can now order people to walk back into Mexico at threat of 20 years in prison if they don’t—even if the person has federal permission to be here.”

---------------------

Mal

Everything is biggest in Texas....

Even the assholes...

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1