US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You can't compare Canada and the United States when talking about speakers of the house. They're two totally different roles. But I do agree with you the fact that his own party tossed him out and bragged about wanting to do it a year before an election has to show some sort of dysfunction. As I said previously, if this was in canada this infighting one year before an election that party would be left with likely no chance to form government.

I just throw the Canada comparison in.  I fully realize that there are differences.  That's why I included the Pelosi reference.  The Dems had their caucus in order, and she won even with a few Dems not voting for her.  She was able to get over the line and survive the full term multiple time.  McCarthy couldn't even last the year.  

Canada just had a Speaker vote and it got over the line today.

All to illustrate how dysfunctional the QOP is.  Illustrating yet one more reason why they should be no where close to governing power until they get their house in order.

3 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

I honestly don't think Trump should ever go to jail, the unfortunate thing is I believe he senses that the entire principle of Democracy also supports his never going to jail and so he has no problem criming away for financial benefit and power gains. I think that is why the trial he was at yesterday is civil and not criminal in nature. they can fine him and dissolve his dealings in New York without jailing him. I fully believe he has been criming in many ways for a very long time. I just don't think a major democracy can be seen jailing a 'political adversary'. Putin will say that the 450 or so of his political prisoners are just like trump is to biden. 

As cathartic as it would be for me to see Trump fitted for an Orange jumpsuit and driven away in a police van, I would settle for a huge fine in the NY Fraud case and a ban on ever holding public office again, on the Federal and Georgia cases.....

However, those concessions would be dependent on a guilty plea and a public admission of guilt.

He could then be allowed to retire in disgrace back to Florida and cheat at golf for the rest of his miserable life....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

As cathartic as it would be for me to see Trump fitted for an Orange jumpsuit and driven away in a police van, I would settle for a huge fine in the NY Fraud case and a ban on ever holding public office again, on the Federal and Georgia cases.....

However, those concessions would be dependent on a guilty plea and a public admission of guilt.

He could then be allowed to retire in disgrace back to Florida and cheat at golf for the rest of his miserable life....

I'd settle for Lincoln's solution to Jefferson Davis. Just have him escape in exile to somewhere in south America and just wallow in obscurity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

I prefer an orange jumpsuit for the orange man. 

Nobody is above the law nor should they be perceived to be. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I'd settle for Lincoln's solution to Jefferson Davis. Just have him escape in exile to somewhere in south America and just wallow in obscurity.

That's more or less what I said...

Florida is like South America, but without the culture.....

• Haha 2

Congressman McCarthy went full scorched earth on Biden and the Dems, even though it was his own Party that removed him. 

Everyone nonsensical conspiracy theory without any legal evidence, was spouted. 

Worst Speaker ever. May he burn in hell for being such a power monger that was hoisted on his own petard. 

(Shoutout to Wetcoaster). 

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Both at the behest of the military industrial complex, financial institutions, multinational conglomerates, share underlying values when it comes to Foreign Policy, etc.

LLXgo2Q.jpg.2b1400797dfd97d0c1178fb6f0f49694.jpg

Except even this Venn Diagram is falling apart somewhat.  For example, the "Hostility to Russia" part is no longer a part of the far-right wing of the GOP playbook.  That is, if that far-right wing is to be considered as part of the GOP.

• Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Except even this Venn Diagram is falling apart somewhat.  For example, the "Hostility to Russia" part is no longer a part of the far-right wing of the GOP playbook.  That is, if that far-right wing is to be considered as part of the GOP.

I might say don't get caught up with the details of this meme venn diagram. Its not like this is an exhaustive list by any means. But it does the job of revealing there are far more systemic and deep reaching similarities than anyone tends to talk about. Especially when we consider matters of class, status and power. That's what really matters.

Also reminds me of this:

img.thumb.jpg.8b916bd7190402cab8fac88393adbee0.jpg

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I have been told that president trump might be open to helping the republican party, at least in the short term."

If he became Speaker,.double or triple the security for Joe and Kamala.  Joe dies, Kamala becomes POTUS.   She gets taken out, Speaker of the House is next up.  Boom, President TRUMP 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1