US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/maga-candidate-my-calls-to-execute-biden-and-obama-are-being-taken-out-of-context/ar-BB1kutgl?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=308371f1e65549d2bb7d49ce7fa599ba&ei=19

"

Republican North Carolina state superintendent candidate Michele Morrow this week accused media outlets of playing "gotcha" games by accurately reporting on her past calls to execute President Joe Biden and former President Barack Obama.

Writing on Twitter, Morrow argued that reporters are "trying to create 'gotcha moments' out of old comments taken out of context, made in jest, or never made in the first place."

She argued that they're doing this to "hide the radicalism of the Democrat platform."

In reality, there is nothing in Morrow's old posts to indicate that she was speaking in jest.

In one post, Morrow responded to a question about whether she'd "follow Joe Biden's advice and wear a mask" to prevent the spread of COVID-19 by writing, "Never. We need to follow the Constitution's advice and KILL all TRAITORS!!!"

There is no section of the Constitution that discusses murdering public officials for advising that people wear masks to stop the spread of a disease that killed over one million Americans.

In another post, Morrow rejected the idea of throwing Obama into prison as being insufficiently extreme.

"I prefer a Pay Per View of him in front of the firing squad," she said. "I do not want to waste another dime on supporting his life. We could make some money back from televising his death."

----------------------------

a bit more at link

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The entire case will most likely be thrown out on appeal. Even CNN admits that Mar-a-Lago is worth $240 million. The fact that the appellate court already reduced the bond to $175 million tells you that the $450 million judgement isn’t going to stick. 

Also, Truth Social is up 26% this morning. So Trump just made another billion dollars in just a few hours of trading. 

https://apple.news/AMQd4zC0bS9eNT7l30Xe1yQ

Digital World Acquisition Corp. — The special purpose acquisition company leapt 26% after shareholders approved a merger with former President Donald Trump's social media company Trump Media & Technology Group, which owns Truth Social. Trump Media could start trading Tuesday under the ticker DJT.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The entire case will most likely be thrown out on appeal. Even CNN admits that Mar-a-Lago is worth $240 million. The fact that the appellate court already reduced the bond to $175 million tells you that the $450 million judgement isn’t going to stick. 

Also, Truth Social is up 26% this morning. So Trump just made another billion dollars in just a few hours of trading. 

https://apple.news/AMQd4zC0bS9eNT7l30Xe1yQ

Digital World Acquisition Corp. — The special purpose acquisition company leapt 26% after shareholders approved a merger with former President Donald Trump's social media company Trump Media & Technology Group, which owns Truth Social. Trump Media could start trading Tuesday under the ticker DJT.

I'm not sure it will be thrown out, but I believe the penalty amount will be hugely lowered.  All of the judges on the appellate court are Democrats and this is them basically signaling that.

Letitia James has made this very political, and the appellate court recognizes that.

As for Trump's stock, that's to be expected right before an IPO.  Buying just before it is listed on NASDAQ is a good way of making some quick money if you are among the people who sell your shares off before the price starts rollercoastering. 

I think there's a chance that MAGA will turn it into a true meme stock among the likes of Gamestop and AMC.  Trump is likely to dump his shares when he legally can so MAGA followers are going to be left holding a depreciated asset if he does.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I think there's a chance that MAGA will turn it into a true meme stock among the likes of Gamestop and AMC.  Trump is likely to dump his shares when he legally can so MAGA followers are going to be left holding a depreciated asset if he does.

So what is the legal issues behind such an obvious pump and dump to enrich ones self?

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So what is the legal issues behind such an obvious pump and dump to enrich ones self?

For Trump?  He has to wait 6 months to start selling them off. 

Also, if memory serves, he has to make the SEC aware that he's selling off over a certain percentage.  Trump will likely sell off his shares a chunk at a time to avoid tanking it beforehand with an SEC filing.

I'm curious if there is a procedure for interest accrued on a judgment.  If the appellate court lowers the judgment to say $25 million, will the accrued interest from the nearly half billion apply or will the accrual be lowered to $25 million, or will the interest be nullified altogether.

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Yeah, I'm guessing it's so he can go back to the lenders that turned him down the first time to see if they will reconsider for less than half the amount....

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, I'm guessing it's so he can go back to the lenders that turned him down the first time to see if they will reconsider for less than half the amount....

Apparently, the most that these companies normally offer is $100 Million with a 20% premium on top as collateral.  He'll have to mortgage/leverage 95 Million on his properties on top of any possible $100 Million loan.  The lenders don't accept property deeds, so he'll have to mortgage with a financial institution.

Even if he were to try and leverage his new company's stocks, there's no guarantee that he will be able to.  Since the 6 month stock freeze will be in effect, he'll have to file for a special waiver and with as political as this all is, there's no guarantee that waiver will be granted.

48 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I'm curious if there is a procedure for interest accrued on a judgment.  If the appellate court lowers the judgment to say $25 million, will the accrued interest from the nearly half billion apply or will the accrual be lowered to $25 million, or will the interest be nullified altogether.

Posting the bond is a stay.  Interest will stop accruing.

I'm really curious why people think that this judgement will get tossed.  Appeals are not some magical thing where decisions are just automatically overturned.  There has to be some error that was made by the lower court.  I'd love for someone to point out these errors.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Apparently, the most that these companies normally offer is $100 Million with a 20% premium on top as collateral.  He'll have to mortgage/leverage 95 Million on his properties on top of any possible $100 Million loan.  The lenders don't accept property deeds, so he'll have to mortgage with a financial institution.

Even if he were to try and leverage his new company's stocks, there's no guarantee that he will be able to.  Since the 6 month stock freeze will be in effect, he'll have to file for a special waiver and with as political as this all is, there's no guarantee that waiver will be granted.

According to what I've read, the total amount of the bond doesn't have to come from a single source. Theoretically, he could get the judgement amount from 2 or 3 lenders. The catch is, he still needs to provide some sort of collateral and I doubt any of them are going to be satisfied with Truth Social / DWAC stock....

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Posting the bond is a stay.  Interest will stop accruing.

I'm really curious why people think that this judgement will get tossed.  Appeals are not some magical thing where decisions are just automatically overturned.  There has to be some error that was made by the lower court.  I'd love for someone to point out these errors.

Like I said an hour or two ago, I doubt it will get tossed out.  That's extreme.  I very much think that the judgment will be hugely lowered.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Like I said an hour or two ago, I doubt it will get tossed out.  That's extreme.  I very much think that the judgment will be hugely lowered.

Just like how he skated with a small judgment and no criminal charges over the TRUMP University fraud, the guy keeps getting away with it.

download (1).jpg

• Haha 1
  • chaos 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

According to what I've read, the total amount of the bond doesn't have to come from a single source. Theoretically, he could get the judgement amount from 2 or 3 lenders. The catch is, he still needs to provide some sort of collateral and I doubt any of them are going to be satisfied with Truth Social / DWAC stock....

Not a chance he nets more than 1 lender.  Banks have not liked Trump for decades.  Rumour has been that he was all but laughed at when he was trying to get over 450 million from these financial institutions.  Elon Musk even turned him down.

If they won't take his stocks as collateral or he doesn't get the 6 month waiver, then he's going to have to mortgage and sell properties to get the liquidity he needs.  When buyers know that you are desperate, they will low-ball you. 

Financially, he has a lot riding on loan approval.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Not a chance he nets more than 1 lender.  Banks have not liked Trump for decades.  Rumour has been that he was all but laughed at when he was trying to get over 450 million from these financial institutions.  Elon Musk even turned him down.

If they won't take his stocks as collateral or he doesn't get the 6 month waiver, then he's going to have to mortgage and sell properties to get the liquidity he needs.  When buyers know that you are desperate, they will low-ball you. 

Who needs banks when you have Putin

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Just like how he skated with a small judgment and no criminal charges over the TRUMP University fraud, the guy keeps getting away with it.

download (1).jpg

He was fortunate enough to be a sitting president at the time.  Had he not been, he would have been raked over the coals most likely.

10 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I generally agree. There's a reason he's been getting his funding through Russia and Germany for the past several years...

The point I was making is that he'd likely have an easier time talking 3 lenders into giving him $60 million each, than he would a single lender giving him $175 million. I too would be surprised if he found someone willing, but he managed to con someone into giving him the E Jean Carroll money, so who knows how many other suckers are eager to be parted from their cash?

• Vintage 1