US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

There are lots of people who follow Jim Cramer for advice.  He's been on CNBC since forever.  If you followed his advice you would be bankrupt by now.  He was one of the first guys I tuned out a long time ago.  Since then, I don't really take advice or listen to anyone on tv...

How does tv fit into this discussion?

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s a pretty dumb take.  But considering it’s from CNN, it makes total sense.  The stock has never been $2 when Trump got involved.  It shot up to $9 on the first day of trading when it was in talks to merge with Truth Social.  GameStop was at $60 for over a year before it dropped, mostly because it was being shorted like crazy.

Also, Twitter wasn’t making money either, and it shot up to a $40 billion valuation even before Musk purchased it. Tech stocks like Amazon never made money for years and were trading at $200 per share.  That’s how the market works.  This isn’t some financial blue chip stock that trades based on earnings.  

This stock will most likely keep going up or at the very least stay where it is until at least the election.  If he wins the election it will probably go up even higher.  If he loses the election it will probably get delisted. So it does have a few more months of steam on it IMO…

It is being shorted for about 10-12% of its stock. Which apparently isn't high. Some major companies are 40% plus. This isn't a pro or con statement...just the current situation that I could find out of curiosity. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

It is being shorted for about 10-12% of its stock. Which apparently isn't high. Some major companies are 40% plus. This isn't a pro or con statement...just the current situation that I could find out of curiosity. 

Thanks.  I remember GameStop was at 40%.  So this one being at 10-12% is pretty normal and shouldn't affect the stock price in the short term.  I could see more volatility once we get closer to the election though...

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

https://stocks.apple.com/AQwit0aK7Q5a4QXyl77Ghug

Trump Media soars 45% with Nasdaq debut (update)

Mar 26, 2024 9:37 AM ET | Trump Media & Technology Group Corp. (DJT) | Ravikash Bakolia, SA News Editor

Shares of Trump Media & Technology (NASDAQ:DJT) jumped 45% in its Nasdaq debut.

On Monday, SPAC Digital World Acquisition and former President Donald Trump's media company Trump Media & Technology Group had announced the completion of their business combination. The deal had already received approval from DWAC shareholders.

Trump Media will continue to be led by CEO Devin Nunes, and its current management team.

Year-to-date, Digital World's stock has soared 315% amid a long-delayed combination, in a time which has seen Trump win several primaries to become the Republican candidate for president.

"As a public company, we will passionately pursue our vision to build a movement to reclaim the Internet from Big Tech censors," Nunes said in a press release announcing the closure of the deal. 

Apart from a 1st quarter basketball score there's nothing more useless than a mid day stock quote and authors who write stories based on such should be rightly ridiculed.

For the record the stock traded 53 million shares today and closed at $57.99, +$8.04 or +16.1%. It underwent a rather large sell off in the last hour of trading. Ending nearly $20 off the intra day high. Anything can happen from here on out but that is some stank ass price action. Nearly every share purchased today 53 million shares is underwater.

djt.thumb.jpg.3766f17001ea1989231005fa294125c5.jpg

The stock being taken for a joy ride is no surprise. I predicted as much a few pages back. That doesn't change the fact that company is one of the bigger flaming turds currently being listed. It cannot be compared to Twitter or Amazon as those companies especially Amazon had monster revenue growth and plowed nearly everything back into the company.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Apart from a 1st quarter basketball score there's nothing more useless than a mid day stock quote and authors who write stories based on such should be rightly ridiculed.

For the record the stock traded 53 million shares today and closed at $57.99, +$8.04 or +16.1%. It underwent a rather large sell off in the last hour of trading. Ending nearly $20 off the intra day high. Anything can happen from here on out but that is some stank ass price action. Nearly every share purchased today 53 million shares is underwater.

djt.thumb.jpg.3766f17001ea1989231005fa294125c5.jpg

The stock being taken for a joy ride is no surprise. I predicted as much a few pages back. That doesn't change the fact that company is one of the bigger flaming turds currently being listed. It cannot be compared to Twitter or Amazon as those companies especially Amazon had monster revenue growth and plowed nearly everything back into the company.

The stock was at $35 before the merger.  So it makes sense that alot of people cashed out prior to closing today.  I'm sure as a day trader you know that you want to close your position at end of day to lock in profits.  Some traders doubled their money in a day...

This stock could very well go for a joyride.  But the $2 prediction was dumb.  It may be volatile from here on out, but just like GameStop there will be lots of buyers, especially Trump supporters, who will buy in at least for the short term...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

but even then there are a lot of short sales taking place, which indicates a stock drop is anticipated already.

The stock DJT is HTB or 'hard to borrow'. This means if you wish to short it you must arrange for a borrow at a cost from your broker which most retail traders do not have the ability to do. Even if they did the cost per share is quite prohibitive. There's not that many short sellers in here. The selling pressure is from longs (stock holders hitting the exits).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The stock was at $35 before the merger.  So it makes sense that alot of people cashed out prior to closing today.  I'm sure as a day trader you know that you want to close your position at end of day to lock in profits.  

This stock could very well go for a joyride.  But the $2 prediction was dumb.  It may be volatile from here on out, but just like GameStop there will be lots of buyers, especially Trump supporters, who will buy in at least for the short term...

IMO the joyride was today. I don't have a problem with the $2 price prediction. I think it will get there eventually. 25 years and nearly 40,000 hours monitoring price action tells me your opinion is wrong. But that's the beauty of the market it takes two differing opinions to make a trade. If you plan to buy any of this please use a sensible stop loss.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Thanks.  I remember GameStop was at 40%.  So this one being at 10-12% is pretty normal and shouldn't affect the stock price in the short term.  I could see more volatility once we get closer to the election though...

The short interest in GameStop actually exceeded 100% that's what made the squeeze so effective.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

When will the Judges actually do something- maybe when Drumpf starts attacking a Judge's kid-?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/trump-unleashes-rant-aimed-at-daughter-of-judge-overseeing-his-hush-money-case/ar-BB1kzI9U?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=aa72edba249e40728ce2cfa4c2566971&ei=69

"

Aday after a New York judge ruled that Donald Trump’s hush money trial could go ahead as planned on Monday 15 April, the Republican presidential candidate attacked both the justice and his daughter on Truth Social, accusing them of political bias.

“Judge Juan Merchan, a very distinguished looking man, is nevertheless a true and certified Trump Hater who suffers from a very serious case of Trump Derangement Syndrome,” Mr Trump wrote, having evidently gotten a close look at his antagonist during his visit to the former’s Manhattan courtroom on Monday.

“In other words, he hates me! His daughter is a senior executive at a Super Liberal Democrat firm that works for Adam ‘Shifty’ Schiff, the Democrat National Committee, (Dem) Senate Majority PAC, and even Crooked Joe Biden.”

The defendant then pivoted towards accusing the justice of “viciously” going after his former Trump Organization chief financial officer, Allen Weisselberg, who was jailed by Judge Merchan in 2023 after being found guilty of tax offences.

“He was recently the judge on an unrelated trial of a long term employee, elderly and not in good health. This judge treated him viciously, telling him either you cooperate or I’m putting you in jail for 15 years.

“He pled, and went to jail for very minor offenses, highly unusual, served 4 months in Rikers, and now they are after him again, this time for allegedly lying (doesn’t look like a lie to me!), and they threatened him again with 15 years if he doesn’t say something bad about ‘TRUMP.’

---------------------------------------------

much more at link

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Next up for Dotard:  "Donald Condoms"....Dotard sell line:  "If I had these back then, I wouldn't have to deal with Eric & Jr today".🥸

I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the Trump Talmud.....

"All the Jews that's fit to print!"

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Next up for Dotard:  "Donald Condoms"....Dotard sell line:  "If I had these back then, I wouldn't have to deal with Eric & Jr today".🥸

Jeebus must be so proud of his prodigal son Donny. Such a great example for other Christians to follow. Now he’s spreading the word of god, like a good apostle. Sure he hopes to make a tidy profit, but that’s okay. God will forgive those transgressions if you just rembember to say sorry God, when you’re on your death bed. 

Gotta love organized religion and those who wrap themselves in the holy bible, in the name of visiting their atrocities in the rest of us trusting souls. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gurn said:

“He was recently the judge on an unrelated trial of a long term employee, elderly and not in good health. This judge treated him viciously, telling him either you cooperate or I’m putting you in jail for 15 years.

“He pled, and went to jail for very minor offenses, highly unusual, served 4 months in Rikers, and now they are after him again, this time for allegedly lying (doesn’t look like a lie to me!), and they threatened him again with 15 years if he doesn’t say something bad about ‘TRUMP.’

much more at link

I tried reading the quoted parts in his voice and would up sounding like a hyper 4 year old.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Gurn said:

When will the Judges actually do something- maybe when Drumpf starts attacking a Judge's kid-?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/trump-unleashes-rant-aimed-at-daughter-of-judge-overseeing-his-hush-money-case/ar-BB1kzI9U?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=aa72edba249e40728ce2cfa4c2566971&ei=69

"

Aday after a New York judge ruled that Donald Trump’s hush money trial could go ahead as planned on Monday 15 April, the Republican presidential candidate attacked both the justice and his daughter on Truth Social, accusing them of political bias.

“Judge Juan Merchan, a very distinguished looking man, is nevertheless a true and certified Trump Hater who suffers from a very serious case of Trump Derangement Syndrome,” Mr Trump wrote, having evidently gotten a close look at his antagonist during his visit to the former’s Manhattan courtroom on Monday.

“In other words, he hates me! His daughter is a senior executive at a Super Liberal Democrat firm that works for Adam ‘Shifty’ Schiff, the Democrat National Committee, (Dem) Senate Majority PAC, and even Crooked Joe Biden.”

The defendant then pivoted towards accusing the justice of “viciously” going after his former Trump Organization chief financial officer, Allen Weisselberg, who was jailed by Judge Merchan in 2023 after being found guilty of tax offences.

much more at link

Pretty rich that Fat Boy Crim would be whingeing about biased judges, considering the interference that Aileen (Loose) Cannon has been running for him in the Documents case.....:classic_rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

3 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Jeebus must be so proud of his prodigal son Donny. Such a great example for other Christians to follow. Now he’s spreading the word of god, like a good apostle. Sure he hopes to make a tidy profit, but that’s okay. God will forgive those transgressions if you just rembember to say sorry God, when you’re on your death bed. 

Gotta love organized religion and those who wrap themselves in the holy bible, in the name of visiting their atrocities in the rest of us trusting souls. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I tried reading the quoted parts in his voice and would up sounding like a hyper 4 year old.

"He's got the mind of a 4 year-old.....(and he was glad to get rid of it.)" - Groucho Marx

• chaos 1

What is clear is they are both too old for the job. 
The first party to put up a different candidate would have won easily but the bases will do what they do. 

I think the baseline question of is Biden too old is moot, yes he is, and so is Trump.  Trump has been a scumbag his whole life he was just born super rich where that sort of thing is rewarded. 

Biden is also in a lot better condition. Trump is an obese old man who covers himself on Orange sludge, sprays a can of hairspray on his head twice a day and lives of ego and rage.

Neither are fit for the job but Trump is a global disaster aligned primarily with the worlds biggest oil producers including the Saudis and Russians.

The Americans are fairly screwed either way at least Biden will be less damaging globally. 

• Cheers 2

another day- another gag order- how many days.. err minutes till Drumpf ignores the order?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/judge-hands-trump-another-gag-order-as-he-grants-restrictions-in-hush-money-trial/ar-BB1kzVO0?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=403a0ce3ba364dd2bcb5a8aa5c0cadac&ei=20

'Donald Trump will be restricted from making any public statements about witnesses, jurors, lawyers, court staff and their families, according to a partial gag order from New York Justice Juan Merchan, who is overseeing the so-called hush money case against the former president.

The judge’s order, issued hours after Mr Trump lashed out at his daughter on his Truth Social, blocks the former president from making any such statements “made with the intent to materially interfere” with any work in the case, which is scheduled to go to trial on 15 April.

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg requested a limited gag order last month, citing Mr Trump’s “long history” of “inflammatory” remarks aimed at the prosecutors, judges, court staff and others wrapped up in his mountain of criminal and civil litigation

The district attorney’s office also pointed to Mr Trump’s threatening social media posts, including a photo he posted that depicts him wielding a baseball bat at the back of Mr Bragg’s head.

The February filing from Mr Bragg’s office also notes that his office received at least two “terroristic mailings” that included envelopes with white powder following Mr Trump’s ongoing attacks against the prosecutors leading the cases against him.

------------------------

MAL

• Like 1

Trump Goes on Bizarre Rant About ‘CROOKED JOE BUDEN’ Who ‘DISINFORMATES AND ‘MISINFORMATES’ About Obamacare

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/trump-goes-on-bizarre-rant-about-crooked-joe-buden-who-disinformates-and-misinformates-about-obamacare/

I’m not running to terminate the ACA, AS CROOKED JOE BUDEN DISINFORMATES AND MISINFORMATES ALL THE TIME, I’m running to CLOSE THE BORDER, STOP INFLATION, MAKE OUR ECONOMY GREAT, STRENGTHEN OUR MILITARY, AND MAKE THE ACA, or OBAMACARE, AS IT IS KNOWN, MUCH BETTER, STRONGER, AND FAR LESS EXPENSIVE. IN OTHER WORDS, MAKE THE ACA MUCH, MUCH, MUCH BETTER FOR FAR LESS MONEY (OR COST) TO OUR GREST AMERICAN CITIZENS, WHO HAVE BEEN DECIMATED BY BIDEN, HIS RECORD INFLATION, BAD ECONOMY, AFGHANISTAN CATASTROPHE, AND JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE. CROOKED JOE BIDEN IS, BY FAR, THE WORST PRESIDENT IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES! MAGA2024

"You're going to end up with great healthcare for a fraction of the price. And that's going to take place immediately." Trump, 2/19/16

"The new plan is good. It's going to be inexpensive. It's going to be much better for the people at the bottom, people that don't have any money." Trump, 2/18/16

"Everybody's going to be covered. I'm going to take care of everybody." Trump 9/27/15

"We're going to have insurance for everybody." Trump, 1/15/17

"We're gonna come up with a new pan that's going to be better health care for more people at a lesser cost." Trump, 1/25/17

And "Nobody knew health care could be so complicated." Trump, February 28, 2017

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Upvote 1

Ketanji Brown Jackson Dunks on Alito During Abortion Hearing

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson delivered a sizzling retort to fellow Justice Samuel Alito Tuesday, questioning his “specialized scientific knowledge” of abortion-inducing drugs.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ketanji-brown-jackson-dunks-on-alito-during-abortion-hearing?ref=home?ref=home

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Trump Goes on Bizarre Rant About ‘CROOKED JOE BUDEN’ Who ‘DISINFORMATES AND ‘MISINFORMATES’ About Obamacare

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/trump-goes-on-bizarre-rant-about-crooked-joe-buden-who-disinformates-and-misinformates-about-obamacare/

I’m not running to terminate the ACA, AS CROOKED JOE BUDEN DISINFORMATES AND MISINFORMATES ALL THE TIME, I’m running to CLOSE THE BORDER, STOP INFLATION, MAKE OUR ECONOMY GREAT, STRENGTHEN OUR MILITARY, AND MAKE THE ACA, or OBAMACARE, AS IT IS KNOWN, MUCH BETTER, STRONGER, AND FAR LESS EXPENSIVE. IN OTHER WORDS, MAKE THE ACA MUCH, MUCH, MUCH BETTER FOR FAR LESS MONEY (OR COST) TO OUR GREST AMERICAN CITIZENS, WHO HAVE BEEN DECIMATED BY BIDEN, HIS RECORD INFLATION, BAD ECONOMY, AFGHANISTAN CATASTROPHE, AND JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE. CROOKED JOE BIDEN IS, BY FAR, THE WORST PRESIDENT IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES! MAGA2024

this actually may not be as nut bar as it seems. Making lets say, less informed, folks less concerned about Obamacare might be a good strategy for him. They'll believe him and he'll screw them, but by then its too late.