US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Now THAT’S a fundraising strategy if I ever heard of one. The troglodytes would line up en masse. 

For sure.....she's one of the very few who could pull it off....

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

31 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Just read that former Senator Joe Liberman has passed away.

One wonders what might have happened had John McCain stuck with his choice of Lieberman as a running mate, instead of going with the Alaskan airhead.....

Maybe Liebermann is trying to get God to ban Mortal Kombat now since he failed to do it while he was alive.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Maybe Liebermann is trying to get God to ban Mortal Kombat now since he failed to do it while he was alive.

Maybe. I don't believe there is a God, so I can't really comment....

Revealed: New texts allegedly show Devin Nunes aide organizing Biden disinformation plot

https://www.rawstory.com/texts-lev-parnas-devin-nunes-biden/

Former Rudy Giuliani associate Lev Parnas released what he claims to be texts showing an aide to former Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) coordinating with Trump allies how to spread Biden/Ukraine conspiracy theories.

Parnas, who has been slowly rolling out his correspondences with figures in Trump world, was part of Giuliani's effort to push the idea that Biden sought to oust a Ukrainian prosecutor before his son's business holdings could be investigated, which has been repeatedly debunked.

"Devin Nunes with his aide Derek Harvey coordinated with John Solomon, Victoria Toensing, and Rudy Giuliani how to disseminate the disinformation that they sent me to go get on Hunter and Joe Biden!" Parnas posted to X, teasing that there would be "more to come."

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Just read that former Senator Joe Liberman has passed away.

One wonders what might have happened had John McCain stuck with his choice of Lieberman as a running mate, instead of going with the Alaskan airhead.....

LIEberman was a f’n bought out POS. 
single handedly killed the promised public option part of Obama’s Affordable Care Act.  To keep everything under private corporate control as his masters ordered.  A public option would have opened the door at least slightly towards eventual full public health plan. 
Canadians pay about half of what Americans do and thousands there aren’t covered and the ones that do have to fight with insurance agents every time they need more expensive procedures.

Meanwhile Joe got full government healthcare right up to his last breath. 
Another scumbag kicks the bucket. Bu…Bye Joe

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, kilgore said:

LIEberman was a f’n bought out POS. 
single handedly killed the promised public option part of Obama’s Affordable Care Act.  To keep everything under private corporate control as his masters ordered.  A public option would have opened the door at least slightly towards eventual full public health plan. 
Canadians pay about half of what Americans do and thousands there aren’t covered and the ones that do have to fight with insurance agents every time they need more expensive procedures.

Meanwhile Joe got full government healthcare right up to his last breath. 
Another scumbag kicks the bucket. Bu…Bye Joe

It looks like you have strong feelings on the subject. So strong it seems, that you've incorrectly assumed that I wanted Lieberman elected.

FTR, I'm an Obama fan.

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

It looks like you have strong feelings on the subject. So strong it seems, that you've incorrectly assumed that I wanted Lieberman elected.

FTR, I'm an Obama fan.

Yeah I got strong feelings on that piece of shit.

But I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I assumed you wanted him elected.   You assumed that I assumed. They lost that year so there's no reason to even debate that IMO. I was just adding onto your post, not trying to do anything more than that.

I kind of figure that you'd be an Obama fan. And probably don't like Lieberman either. Because we share a lot of the same opinions on here. 

Would Lieberman have been better than Palin? Wouldn't have made much difference. Republicans were already headed down the MAGA road with the forerunner movement the Tea Party, who McCain would have been beholden to just like the R's today are beholden to the MAGAts.  Although McCain would have maybe had a better shot at winning with Lieberman as his running mate.  Although I would have missed the dumbfuck shitshow that was the Palins. 

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Jesus visits the US with it's Megachurches and Pumpkinhead selling Bibles.

Jeebus didn’t know about the 11th commandment.

You break it, you buy it.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, kilgore said:

Yeah I got strong feelings on that piece of shit.

But I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I assumed you wanted him elected.   You assumed that I assumed. They lost that year so there's no reason to even debate that IMO. I was just adding onto your post, not trying to do anything more than that.

I kind of figure that you'd be an Obama fan. And probably don't like Lieberman either. Because we share a lot of the same opinions on here. 

Would Lieberman have been better than Palin? Wouldn't have made much difference. Republicans were already headed down the MAGA road with the forerunner movement the Tea Party, who McCain would have been beholden to just like the R's today are beholden to the MAGAts.  Although McCain would have maybe had a better shot at winning with Lieberman as his running mate.  Although I would have missed the dumbfuck shitshow that was the Palins. 

Yeah, this is basically the question I was posing. Palin was a terrible choice and it certainly hurt McCain's chances.

Like you, I don't think he would have beaten Obama either way, however I think it is worth speculating as to whether the US would have missed out on the first African American POTUS, had McCain stuck to his guns....

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, this is basically the question I was posing. Palin was a terrible choice and it certainly hurt McCain's chances.

Like you, I don't think he would have beaten Obama either way, however I think it is worth speculating as to whether the US would have missed out on the first African American POTUS, had McCain stuck to his guns....

So vp choices do matter?

Just now, Bob Long said:

So vp choices do matter?

They do. (although I don't believe they matter to the degree that some do)

In the case of the current election, I'm just not convinced that a different choice would do better than Harris, even considering her approval numbers.

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

They do. (although I don't believe they matter to the degree that some do)

In the case of the current election, I'm just not convinced that a different choice would do better than Harris, even tconsidering her approval numbers.

Well, she's not Palin at least 🤣

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Well, she's not Palin at least 🤣

I'm with you in wishing they had someone more popular in the position, but there are other factors in play.

After the 2020 election, the first assignment Harris was given was the southern border. That's basically like calling up one of the guys from Abby and asking them to shut down Nathan McKinnon. There is little to no chance of coming out looking like anything but a failure in either situation.

She hasn't done herself a lot of favors since then, but she hasn't been Palin stupid, or Quayle inept. She just hasn't been able to shake that first impression with voters.

The problem with replacing her (other than the terrible optics) is the fact that she's a woman and a visible minority. If you replace her with Newsome, or Mayor Pete, what happens with women voters, or voters of color? Maybe you gain voters who like the new choice better, but at the same time, lose voters who value diversity.....

If I could have my druthers right now, I'd like to see Gretchen Whitmer on the ticket. She's not black, but she ticks all the other boxes.

Of course, all this is moot anyway. It's going to be a Biden-Harris ticket, when all is said and done.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

19 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm with you in wishing they had someone more popular in the position, but there are other factors in play.

After the 2020 election, the first assignment Harris was given was the southern border. That's basically like calling up one of the guys from Abby and asking them to shut down Nathan McKinnon. There is little to no chance of coming out looking like anything but a failure in either situation.

She hasn't done herself a lot of favors since then, but she hasn't been Palin stupid, or Quayle inept. She just hasn't been able to shake that first impression with voters.

The problem with replacing her (other than the terrible optics) is the fact that she's a woman and a visible minority. If you replace her with Newsome, or Mayor Pete, what happens with women voters, or voters of color? Maybe you gain voters who like the new choice better, but at the same time, lose voters who value diversity.....

If I could have my druthers right now, I'd like to see Gretchen Whitmer on the ticket. She's not black, but she ticks all the other boxes.

Of course, all this is moot anyway. It's going to be a Biden-Harris ticket, when all is said and done.

Yep that's it, there may have been time to change but its the ticket now.

It'll be interesting to see who trump picks, it might be another Palin.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yep that's it, there may have been time to change but its the ticket now.

It'll be interesting to see who trump picks, it might be another Palin.

Whoever it is, it likely won't move the needle. Above all else, Trump is a narcissist and wants all of the attention on himself. He won't pick someone like Nancy Mace, because she might take some of the focus away from him.

He'll find himself another milquetoast running mate like Pence....one that, like Pence, ticks a particular demographic box.

If I had to bet, I'd wager he doesn't go the Evangelical route this time. He'll pick a woman, or a visible minority. Elise Stefanik, or Tim Scott, would be my guesses....

Edited by RupertKBD

57 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Whoever it is, it likely won't move the needle. Above all else, Trump is a narcissist and wants all of the attention on himself. He won't pick someone like Nancy Mace, because she might take some of the focus away from him.

He'll find himself another milquetoast running mate like Pence....one that, like Pence, ticks a particular demographic box.

If I had to bet, I'd wager he doesn't go the Evangelical route this time. He'll pick a woman, or a visible minority. Elise Stefanik, or Tim Scott, would be my guesses....

You know, with everything going on he might pick a real loonie. Certainly wouldn't be out of character. 

• Cheers 1