US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

But what happens if the person is just turning around and using your driveway to do it?

Or, you broke down and go to the nearest home, looking for help?

Both cases, the innocent person doing innocent things died.

Why is it that there are people who are itching to be able to kill someone?  They think they gonna be Rambo.  Yet an overwhelming majority of the time the gun is NOT used against criminals.  

I haven't looked up the Texas law, but in Florida, the local Sheriff will handle enforcement, arrest, and eviction, not the home owner.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I haven't looked up the Texas law, but in Florida, the local Sheriff will handle enforcement, arrest, and eviction, not the home owner.

damn. I was talking with a realtor last week, who has a client dealing with a person who won't leave and hasn't paid rent to the homeowner in 6 months, claiming mental health issues. So apparently in BC, when you rent a home to someone they also become your de facto dependant. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • chaos 3

10 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Good on Florida then.  No need for Billy Bob Dumbass taking matters in their own hands.  My two examples are what happened when that happens.  

The latter case was an example from Texas.  Homeowner "felt threatened".  Shot through the unopened door.  Killed poor guy just looking for help.  Not illegal.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

damn. I was talking with a realtor last week, who has a client dealing with a person who won't leave and hasn't paid rent to the homeowner in 6 months, claiming mental health issues. So apparently in BC, when you rent a home to someone they also become your de facto dependant. 

There are cases of that happening in the US where it took well over a year to evict squatters.

Everyone on this board has always said that Canada is soft on criminals so I hope that your politicians come to their senses and change the squatter laws soon. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Good on Florida then.  No need for Billy Bob Dumbass taking matters in their own hands.  My two examples are what happened when that happens. 

In this one I have to give Governor DeDufus of Florida his back patting.  He got it right.  The felony charges attached are pretty harsh, but if you don't want the record or the accompanying jail sentence, don't do the crime.

The latter case was an example from Texas.  Homeowner "felt threatened".  Shot through the unopened door.  Killed poor guy just looking for help.  Not illegal.

If I remember correctly, didn't both shooters in both cases get arrested and convicted?

9 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

There are cases of that happening in the US where it took well over a year to evict squatters.

Everyone on this board has always said that Canada is soft on criminals so I hope that your politicians come to their senses and change the squatter laws soon. 

Wouldn't count on it. I think renters suddenly getting non eviction illnesses will be the next emotional support animal. 

It's hard to blame people, it's nearly impossible to find a place, let alone one at a reasonable price.

• chaos 1

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Sovereign citizens are just idiots who are in a cult and just don't know or realize it.  I've never seen that attached to the left or the right.  There just happen to be more of them in right leaning states likely because they often have poor quality education in the poorest of those states.  The only blame the right has with them is that dummies statistically breed faster than educated people.

The genesis of the squatter issue isn't a right or left caused problem.  Like I said, the squatter laws once had a good reason behind them. The left as far as I can see are starting to dig their heels into backing the squatters whereas the right is backing the property owners.

To be honest, I expect the left leaning political governors to eventually acquiesce in favour of the property owners.  Besides it just being common sense, you can't collect property tax from squatters and the property owners will start dragging local and state departments through the court system when they try to collect from the property owners.

Funny you say that.  I just saw a video of a guy who has just started to hire out his services out to get rid of squatters from people's property.

Mob’s not going to like someone muscling in on one of their revenue streams. Or was the guy from a club of motor cycle enthusiasts? 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Mob’s not going to like someone muscling in on one of their revenue streams. Or was the guy from a club of motor cycle enthusiasts? 

I don't remember.  It was kind of an odd quickie video.  I'll check my browser history and see if I can find it.

10 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I don't remember.  It was kind of an odd quickie video.  I'll check my browser history and see if I can find it.

I'm not positive but I think it was this guy.  I got lazy and did a title search directly on YouTube instead.  I haven't watched this particular video yet.  Just a shorter video/interview a newscast had posted.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's hard to blame people, it's nearly impossible to find a place, let alone one at a reasonable price.

Then they need to move to somewhere cheaper.  There are people that live in NJ that have to drive into NYC for work because they can't afford to live right in NYC.

If a person can't afford to live in Vancouver or Toronto, that's unfortunate, but it shouldn't become another person's problem.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Then they need to move to somewhere cheaper.  There are people that live in NJ that have to drive into NYC for work because they can't afford to live right in NYC.

If a person can't afford to live in Vancouver or Toronto, that's unfortunate, but it shouldn't become another person's problem.

agreed, but try telling that to a person going from $1800/mo to $3,000 per mo. I'd never be a landlord out here tho, way too much hassle. 

The wife and I have been looking around at some potential new places to move to around Vancouver and man, some of the rental situations are scary. Went into one place where the renters purposely made it look like crap, scuffed the floors, and the guy even left his open hockey bag in the hallway for the aroma 🤢

Really nice building too. But the current renters are extremely reluctant to move, so they are being bad. Its a dumb move tho, all they are going to do is drive the price down and make it even more attractive to pick up.

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

This assumes though that the squatters have the money to afford a place in a cheaper city. This isn't necessarily going to be the case. There comes a point where even some of the cheapest housing is not enough and moving to "cheaper cities" isn't always a solution.

I'll agree with you if the squatter has the money to afford housing though. At that point that's shitty on the squatter's part.

Edited by The Lock

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

agreed, but try telling that to a person going from $1800/mo to $3,000 per mo. I'd never be a landlord out here tho, way too much hassle. 

The wife and I have been looking around at some potential new places to move to around Vancouver and man, some of the rental situations are scary. Went into one place where the renters purposely made it look like crap, scuffed the floors, and the guy even left his open hockey bag in the hallway for the aroma 🤢

Really nice building too. But the current renters are extremely reluctant to move, so they are being bad. Its a dumb move tho, all they are going to do is drive the price down and make it even more attractive to pick up.

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

This assumes though that the squatters have the money to afford a place in a cheaper city. This isn't necessarily going to be the case. There comes a point where even some of the cheapest housing is not enough and moving to "cheaper cities" isn't always a solution.

I'll agree with you if the squatter has the money to afford housing though. At that point that's shitty on the squatter's part.

The only people that are tough to fault are the mentally ill homeless people.  At that point of your life, you're stuck and your choices are limited to outside living in a tent or squatting on a temporarily vacant property.  If you get caught and jailed then you get 3 squares a day and a cot you otherwise wouldn't be getting.

If you are of sound mind and body, move to a working city like Hamilton and find work and live where you can afford to live.  You have no right, morally or legally, to squat on anything.  Although for all I know Hamilton isn't what it was 25 years ago when I last saw it.

• Vintage 2

27 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The only people that are tough to fault are the mentally ill homeless people.  At that point of your life, you're stuck and your choices are limited to outside living in a tent or squatting on a temporarily vacant property.  If you get caught and jailed then you get 3 squares a day and a cot you otherwise wouldn't be getting.

If you are of sound mind and body, move to a working city like Hamilton and find work and live where you can afford to live.  You have no right, morally or legally, to squat on anything.  Although for all I know Hamilton isn't what it was 25 years ago when I last saw it.

you can't make up for someone's lack of proactivity. The folks I described above were renting for 8 years under 2k per mo. They really could have bought a place instead, maybe not in the exact neighbourhood but certainly in the Greater Vancouver area. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Speaking of things that will eventually translate across the border:

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

26 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

At this point anyone who thinks Trump should be President again is a complete idiot.

Trump Shares Image of Biden Tied Up in the Back of ‘MAGA’ Pickup Truck

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-shares-image-of-biden-tied-up-in-the-back-of-maga-pickup-truck/

There are many idiots in ‘Murica. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Monkey Puppet GIF

True story. I used to live in the monkey house as a toddler. The place we rented the owner would come once a month to collect the rent and bring along her two spider monkeys. My mom was scared of them. The rent got paid. Turns out my Chinese year is yup the monkey. 
63/64 years later I started having a heart attack and made it to emergency just in time to tell the emergency nurse that I was having an attack and that I was going down. I proceeded to fall and flatline. Two zaps later I came around. Got a scenic flight to Kelowna and a day later had 2 stents put in. A day later I am chatting with my nurse and she tells me she is from Calgary. Knowing many people from Calgary living in a place that many of their rich families vacation I asked her for her last name. She says that she doesn’t usually give out her last  to patients but she says her last name and I said that we used to rent a place from a lady by that name and that she had monkeys. Turns out her granddaughter was my nurse. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

But what happens if the person is just turning around and using your driveway to do it?

Or, you broke down and go to the nearest home, looking for help?

Both cases, the innocent person doing innocent things died.

Why is it that there are people who are itching to be able to kill someone?  They think they gonna be Rambo.  Yet an overwhelming majority of the time the gun is NOT used against criminals.  

A squatter is someone who has illegally invaded your home, broken in and taken residence.  It wouldn’t include someone who is simply using your driveway to turn around.  Also, someone knocking on your door isn’t doing anything wrong.  If they are trying to break the door down and get in then that’s a different story. 

Pretty sure most people can understand the difference. If someone is simply going around and shooting at random people then most likely that person will get arrested for attempted murder…