US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 hours ago, The Lock said:

This assumes though that the squatters have the money to afford a place in a cheaper city. This isn't necessarily going to be the case. There comes a point where even some of the cheapest housing is not enough and moving to "cheaper cities" isn't always a solution.

I'll agree with you if the squatter has the money to afford housing though. At that point that's shitty on the squatter's part.

I’m pretty sure a squatter doesn’t pay rent.  I think the whole point of them breaking into your house is to avoid paying rent…

6 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

There are cases of that happening in the US where it took well over a year to evict squatters.

Everyone on this board has always said that Canada is soft on criminals so I hope that your politicians come to their senses and change the squatter laws soon. 

Apparently a big issue with squatters is that they can acquire an illegal deed on your home, so that they actually become the homeowner.  This isn’t possible in Canada under our Torrens system unless they are able to steal your indefeasible title certificate, but most people keep that at the Land Title office so it can’t be stolen.  

Another problem is that squatters can also fake a lease agreement. So it looks like they are the actual tenants of the property.  This is why it takes so long to evict them, the homeowner has to go through the tenancy branch in order to get the Supreme Court to actually evict them through a bailiff.

It looks like Florida is now bypassing the civil claim procedure and having to go through the tenancy board and now maiking it a criminal offence where the sheriff’s office can immediately get involved and arrest the squatters.  Texas is also similar as squatting is now deemed a criminal offence. 

Would be nice if every state in the US and every province in Canada were on the same page…

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Spur1 said:

True story. I used to live in the monkey house as a toddler. The place we rented the owner would come once a month to collect the rent and bring along her two spider monkeys. My mom was scared of them. The rent got paid. Turns out my Chinese year is yup the monkey. 
63/64 years later I started having a heart attack and made it to emergency just in time to tell the emergency nurse that I was having an attack and that I was going down. I proceeded to fall and flatline. Two zaps later I came around. Got a scenic flight to Kelowna and a day later had 2 stents put in. A day later I am chatting with my nurse and she tells me she is from Calgary. Knowing many people from Calgary living in a place that many of their rich families vacation I asked her for her last name. She says that she doesn’t usually give out her last  to patients but she says her last name and I said that we used to rent a place from a lady by that name and that she had monkeys. Turns out her granddaughter was my nurse. 

Life is crazy 

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m pretty sure a squatter doesn’t pay rent.  I think the whole point of them breaking into your house is to avoid paying rent…

Where did I say they were paying for rent?

Of course a squatter's not paying for rent... THAT'S WHY THEY'RE A SQUATTER!

lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Where did I say they were paying for rent?

Of course a squatter's not paying for rent... THAT'S WHY THEY'RE A SQUATTER!

lol

So I misread your entire post then?  Squatters don’t have money at all.  That’s why they are squatters.  So why would a squatter try and move to a cheaper city?

5 hours ago, The Lock said:

This assumes though that the squatters have the money to afford a place in a cheaper city. This isn't necessarily going to be the case. There comes a point where even some of the cheapest housing is not enough and moving to "cheaper cities" isn't always a solution.

I'll agree with you if the squatter has the money to afford housing though. At that point that's shitty on the squatter's part.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So I misread your entire post then?  Squatters don’t have money at all.  That’s why they are squatters.  So why would a squatter try and move to a cheaper city?

I think that's the point The Lock was making.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. Did you not read my post?

Perhaps you are looking to debate against Sabres fan who is the one who actually suggested them moving?

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

Hillary coined the best phrase for Trump cultists back in 2015.

I was against her calling them that back then, but after almost 10 years these fucks are truly deplorable bunch.

Maybe some of them were disillusioned with the political system back in 2016, and thought they were voting for change. After watching that turd over the last 8-9 years and you are still voting for him, you are truly deplorable piece of shit.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, 112 said:

more hatemongering

1711851133573876.jpg

Someone needs to point out to Trump's team (because it's useless to point out anything to Trump) that Trans Visibility Day has been on March 31 since 2009...

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I am still disillusioned in the political climate on both sides of the border but Trump is unbelievable. Trump is a hugely destabilizing personality. What he is allowing to happen in Ukraine is a clear example. He has to be defeated.

That will require a small percentage of conservatives to vote democrat. Do you really think that will happen? 

11 hours ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. Did you not read my post?

Perhaps you are looking to debate against Sabres fan who is the one who actually suggested them moving?

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah I guess.  Sorry my friend…

I will always suggest people moving to a city they can afford rather than stealing a place to live in somewhere they can't afford.  There are programs to get downtrodden people into gainful employment in the US, so I don't doubt that Canada/BC/ON also has the same or better types of those same programs.  If you have to take a subsidized bus ticket to get to an affordable city/town then do that instead of stealing.

Much of what I've learned since this gained the public eye, is that many of these people have money for cell phones, cars, gas, and to turn on the utilities and keep them going, sometimes in the rightful homeowner's name even.  Use that money to get to where you can work and live.  People are leaving the decent parts of Southern California in droves, and moving to states like Texas, because they can no longer afford the skyrocketing cost of living.  They're not marching on over to Beverly Hills and squatting in the mansions there.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

That will require a small percentage of conservatives to vote democrat. Do you really think that will happen? 

I am hopeful that middle of the road GOP members will not vote Trump. Much of his support is a reaction to progressive policies that challenge traditional American values. 

Still hoping for a middle coalition of Dems and GOP. I would be surprised if conversations aren’t happening. 

3 hours ago, StrayDog said:

Someone needs to point out to Trump's team (because it's useless to point out anything to Trump) that Trans Visibility Day has been on March 31 since 2009...

Sadly, probably useless to point this out to Team Trump too.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I will always suggest people moving to a city they can afford rather than stealing a place to live in somewhere they can't afford.  There are programs to get downtrodden people into gainful employment in the US, so I don't doubt that Canada/BC/ON also has the same or better types of those same programs.  If you have to take a subsidized bus ticket to get to an affordable city/town then do that instead of stealing.

Much of what I've learned since this gained the public eye, is that many of these people have money for cell phones, cars, gas, and to turn on the utilities and keep them going, sometimes in the rightful homeowner's name even.  Use that money to get to where you can work and live.  People are leaving the decent parts of Southern California in droves, and moving to states like Texas, because they can no longer afford the skyrocketing cost of living.  They're not marching on over to Beverly Hills and squatting in the mansions there.

California elite enraged after squatters invade $5M home in LeBron James, Jennifer Lopez's luxury neighborhood | Fox News

California elite enraged after squatters invade $5M home in LeBron James, Jennifer Lopez's luxury neighborhood

LeBron James reportedly 'very concerned' about the squatting issue

Wealthy Californians in a neighborhood on the outskirts of Beverly Hills are reportedly enraged after a $5 million home was invaded by squatters and became a source of rowdy parties. 

Beverly Grove is home to the elite of the elite in California. A-list celebrities such as Jennifer Lopez and LeBron James, entrepreneurs, hedge-fund investors, heiresses, and studio executives own homes in the quiet cul-de-sac. That was until squatters invaded in October and locals started complaining about them allegedly throwing "wild parties" with "cocaine and orgies." 

The neighbors are getting fed up, including reportedly James, according to a report in New York Magazine's Curbed. 

"One of the neighbors got in touch with LeBron James’s house manager. They were told James was very concerned," the report said. 

A tech entrepreneur, Rick Rankin, who lived nearby said, "I wasn’t born yesterday. They’re jittery; their eyes are spinning. They were clearly on something." 

The report referenced an unnamed "producer" who questioned, "Who the f--- are these people squatting in the most exclusive Zip Code in America?"

At one point, the producer confronted the squatters, one of whom brazenly greeted him saying, "Hi, I’m your new neighbor," when he brought police over to the residence. 

"You’re not my new neighbor. Go f--- yourself," the producer responded. 

The ordeal began when a real estate agent of a $5M home, John A. Woodward IV, was notified by one of the pool workers that a U-haul truck had pulled up. The agent immediately went to the property. He found that the locks had been changed and the FOR SALE sign was gone. 

Police then informed Woodward that their hands were tied because it was a "civil matter" since squatters produced what they claimed was a rental agreement. 

According to the report, the locals are fired up – complaining every single day among themselves about the squatters and haranguing the association to do something about it. 

"The neighbors heard through the grapevine that someone from the [George Gascón] DA’s office, apparently having heard about the situation at 1316, had said, ‘Squatters have rights.’ This set the group chat aflame. ‘Welcome to California,’ one wrote. ‘Thanks Liberals,’" Curbed reported. 

According to USA TODAY, the sprawling residence was previously owned by an orthopedic surgeon, Munir Uwaydah, who fled to Lebanon after he was accused in the murder of his 21-year-old model girlfriend Julianna Redding.

"These squatters have been here since October, charging rents for rooms and throwing massive parties all night long," the real estate agent previously said. "I just want to get this house sold to satisfy the court." 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I’m guessing there are cities in the states where some folk believe it’s their right to live there, and government should provide affordable housing for them? There are places people can afford, but they need to be willing to move to those spots. 

• Cheers 1