US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Like come on.  This will provide the pro-choice side more ammunition as abortion will be on the ballot this November.   If this doesn't hand the state to Gallego and Biden, then never-TRUMPers should worry.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/08/us/arizona-supreme-court-abortion-access-tuesday/index.html

Arizona Supreme Court rules state must adhere to century-old law banning nearly all abortions

• Sad 1

This sucks for women in Arizona, but it has to be a huge boost to Democrat chances in the state.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/08/us/arizona-supreme-court-abortion-access-tuesday/index.html

In a historic decision Tuesday, the Arizona Supreme Court ruled the state must adhere to a 123-year-old penal code provision barring all abortions except in cases when “it is necessary to save” a pregnant person’s life.

The law, which can be traced to as early as 1864, also carried a prison sentence of two to five years for abortion providers. There is a 14-day stay on the law.

The case is the latest high-profile example of the battle over abortion access that has played out across several states since Roe v. Wade was overturned by the US Supreme Court in 2022. Since that decision, nearly two dozen states have banned or limited access to the procedure. Providers have warned that restrictive policies on abortion access place patients at risk of poor health outcomes and doctors at risk of legal liability.

It's one of those "be careful what you wish for" scenarios, IMO.....Republicans have been packing courts with Conservative judges, who seem determined to help them take the US back to the 1950's....

Meanwhile, they're handing the Democrats a weapon that might just be used to ensure they don't get the chance to do any further damage to the rights of people who don't fit within the Anglo-Saxon, middle-aged, white male demographic....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Like come on.  This will provide the pro-choice side more ammunition as abortion will be on the ballot this November.   If this doesn't hand the state to Gallego and Biden, then never-TRUMPers should worry.

Arizona Supreme Court rules state must adhere to century-old law banning nearly all abortions

Will it? People are weird. There's a lot of conservative women happy to see this. 

It might have more influence outside of Zona though.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Will it? People are weird. There's a lot of conservative women happy to see this. 

It might have more influence outside of Zona though.

I think there is polling that the majority is prochoice.  The campaign to get abortion on the AZ ballot in November has cruised past the required number of signatures already even though their deadline is the beginning of July.  

Abortion has won handily wherever its been on the ballot since Roe was overturned.   Even in Kansas.  It being on the ballot in AZ and FL will only help Dems in those states.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I think there is polling that the majority is prochoice.  The campaign to get abortion on the AZ ballot in November has cruised past the required number of signatures already even though their deadline is the beginning of July.  

Abortion has won handily wherever its been on the ballot since Roe was overturned.   Even in Kansas.  It being on the ballot in AZ and FL will only help Dems in those states.

maybe I'm too jaded over the US at this point, I now just expect them to shit the bed on everything. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

maybe I'm too jaded over the US at this point, I now just expect them to shit the bed on everything. 

Ya, the fact that TRUMP is even close in polling puts me in that box.  That being said, having abortion on the ballot in AZ and FL should be good for Biden and co.

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Ya, the fact that TRUMP is even close in polling puts me in that box.  That being said, having abortion on the ballot in AZ and FL should be good for Biden and co.

I know, its hard to believe that its even a possibility that self-serving pig is loved by 10's of millions. But hey, at least he's "authentic" :picard:

I'm concerned that the whole Palestine thing will turn away too many voters, which would be the dumbest thing they could do, so thats what I think could happen. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Pelosi on Trump abortion statement: ‘He either is stupid, or he thinks the rest of us are’

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4582818-pelosi-on-trump-abortion-statement-he-either-is-stupid-or-he-thinks-the-rest-of-us-are/

Those two things most definitely are not mutually exclusive....

I'd say both are correct, even though the first is actually true, while the second is mostly not.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

James Comer threatened with ethics probe after hawking impeachment book

https://www.rawstory.com/james-comer-threatened-with-ethics-probe-after-hawking-impeachment-book/

Comer should release a book on fishing. That's something he knows all about....even if he knows nothing about "catching"....

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Zelenskyy warns Russia has penetrated US politics, invites Trump to Ukraine

In an exclusive interview, the president of Ukraine talks about his outreach to Trump, stalled Ukraine aid and Russia’s growing influence in the U.S.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/09/zelenskyy-invites-trump-ukraine-russia-00151310

Trump would only go, if Zelenskyy promises Trump can build resorts, and own the best real estate in Crimea.

Then he will want the US to send arms, and probably want the "suckers" to invade for him.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Dumbest man on TV

‘It’s All the Baby Boomers’ Fault’: Jesse Watters Blames Fox News Viewer Demographic for Student Debt Crisis

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/its-all-the-baby-boomers-fault-jesse-watters-blames-fox-news-viewer-demographic-for-student-debt-crisis/

Speaking of which....

🤣

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Hyping your own stock is frowned upon but necessarily illegal.

Trump and Nunes' shares are restricted so they can pump but cannot dump. There aren't really any rules regarding the practice of "jaw boning" or talking a stock up. Analysts do it all the time issuing BS upgrades etc. If you actually pump a stock then dump that is illegal so long as your intent was to dupe people.

Hard to prove unless you're dealing with idiots. There was a gang of nitwits with a huge Twitter following doing this 3 years ago. Some of you may remember a Twitter account "Zack Morris". He and his crew were doing just that. Loading up then issuing recommendations while all the lemmings piled in they were dumping on them. They made millions until they got caught. They were a little too brash posting pictures with cars and houses etc and even taunting the SEC by posting "SEC deez nutz". One of their crew could see it coming and took screen shots of them bragging about ripping people off. "Zack" is looking at at least 20 years in government housing.

Interesting....so they can say they are debt free and have $200 million in cash and that's not illegal, even if it's not true?

6 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Thinks it's a 6 figure salary- gets told it's $40,000, which is about $4,000 too high;  decides to go with wife makes the same. So double it, and presto six figures.

Still off by 20% 

Damn. 

I have no idea who this guy is, or why anyone would listen to him, but it certainly tracks on the stupid meter with the US right.

On the plus side, Mickey D's might get more people applying for jobs thinking they've got it made. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I have no idea who this guy is, or why anyone would listen to him, but it certainly tracks on the stupid meter with the US right.

On the plus side, Mickey D's might get more people applying for jobs thinking they've got it made. 

He's the guy Faux News decided should be the new Tucker Carlson. Believe me, a lot of idiots listen to what this idiot has to say.....

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

He's the guy Faux News decided should be the new Tucker Carlson. Believe me, a lot of idiots listen to what this idiot has to say.....

ah. Well, that tracks then. 

I don't know why someone would be attracted to this stuff, if they weren't already idiots. But someone has to be. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Thinks it's a 6 figure salary- gets told it's $40,000, which is about $4,000 too high;  decides to go with wife makes the same. So double it, and presto six figures.

Still off by 20% 

Damn. 

And in the same breath says it's too much because there's no skill required as he yaps into a mic, which we all know is a highly skilled position 😉. And he makes how much a year doing that...?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1