US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Hypothetically, what would happen in a situation like this? Would the secret service members be arrested for obstruction of justice or are they above the law? 

Bullets start flying, just like in a gang war?

I'd bet Drumpf gets shot first- accidently, of course;  then everyone else stop shooting, as there would be no point continuing?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The day that the court bailiffs try to put hands on a Secret Service protected ex-president is the day said bailiff(s) get thrown to the ground by the secret service and handcuffed.

I have no doubt that all this judge accomplished was a visit by the secret service to whomever is in charge of the bailiffs to let that person know, like they did with the Fulton County Sheriffs when he went for a mugshot, that in no uncertain terms will they allow Trump to be detained or put into handcuffs.  There's a reason why these guys can carry P90's when protecting somebody.

so a POTUS is above the law?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Angry Trump Emerges from Court After First Day of Trial: ‘The Judge Isn’t Going to Allow Me to Escape This Scam’

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/angry-trump-emerges-from-court-after-first-day-of-trial-the-judge-isnt-going-to-allow-me-to-escape-this-scam/

CNN fact-checked Trump’s claim that Judge Juan Merchan wouldn’t allow him to attend his son’s high school graduation. Turns out, the judge “hasn’t ruled yet on Trump’s request to be excused from court” for the graduation.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I have no idea how this works in the US, but if the judge did decide that Trump needed to be arrested, I'm guessing he could order Trump to surrender himself at the lockup. If he didn't show, it would be another charge against him....one with absolute proof of his guilt.....

• Cheers 1

Elise Stefanik's brag about humble origins busted by new investigation

https://www.rawstory.com/elise-stefanik-2667775093/

"If Stefanik was supposed to remember where she came from, she seems to have forgotten — to the point of making blatantly misleading statements, beginning in her first congressional campaign — how her family’s wealth has given her a leg up, from providing her with an expensive private-school education to her parents buying her a $1.2 million D.C. townhouse when she was just 26," wrote William Bredderman and Jake Lahut for the website.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Chaos Breaks Out In Georgia’s Parliament After Party Leader Clocked In The Head While Addressing Lawmakers

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/chaos-breaks-out-in-georgias-parliament-after-party-leader-clocked-in-the-head-while-addressing-lawmakers/

Hmmmm.....I think MTG still tips the scales in favor of the American Georgia for who has the craziest politicians....

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

It's worth noting that when Trump was banging Stormy, Melania was home with newborn Barron....

That's how much he really cares about his son....

You know Dotard (the real Jebus) would've hit on Mary Magdalene because he's a real man - The "Maga Christians".

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Hypothetically, what would happen in a situation like this? Would the secret service members be arrested for obstruction of justice or are they above the law? 

Guarantee the Secret Service has already talked to whomever runs the courthouse bailiffs.  Usually, but not always, an elected Sheriff.  I have no idea how NYC courts are run.  NYC, like Toronto, believe they're their own separate little state/province and they basically get treated that way by many.

This is all unprecedented, but my guess is that all the judge could immediately do is swear out an arrest warrant.  Then it would be up to the higher-ups in the Secret Service to negotiate with the courts and NY Dept. of Corrections to come to a solution.

That's just my guess.  There's always a chance that the people in Washington decide to play even more politics with this entire thing and get involved and then really turn it into a huge sh*tshow. 

I think Trump will show to court as required, and likely behave, but I give it 50/50 odds on whether he keeps both his mouth shut and typing fingers still.  Things could get very very interesting!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

so a POTUS is above the law?

A person, especially a former president, is extremely protected.  I personally would walk to the other side of a street rather than approach a foreign dignitary taking a stroll on the same side if they had a Secret Service detail attached to them.

The only time that I've even heard of the Secret Service lacking in care of their charge is agents attached to Hillary Clinton.  Apparently, the agents like Bill, but can't stand her.  That's only conjecture and rumour though.

32 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

A person, especially a former president, is extremely protected.  I personally would walk to the other side of a street rather than approach a foreign dignitary taking a stroll on the same side if they had a Secret Service detail attached to them.

The only time that I've even heard of the Secret Service lacking in care of their charge is agents attached to Hillary Clinton.  Apparently, the agents like Bill, but can't stand her.  That's only conjecture and rumour though.

Ok, but that's not really an answer tho. If a former POTUS is a criminal and needs to be arrested, why does the secret service have a say? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

I have no idea how this works in the US, but if the judge did decide that Trump needed to be arrested, I'm guessing he could order Trump to surrender himself at the lockup. If he didn't show, it would be another charge against him....one with absolute proof of his guilt.....

If you don't show up to court, a judge signs a warrant for your arrest.  For regular people, that usually just means that the next time that they have any kind of transaction with the legal system, like getting pulled over for a traffic violation, they get taken into custody. 

For Trump, I'd imagine after what the judge said, the Secret Service has arranged with the court system what will happen if they decide to swear out an arrest warrant on him.  I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation.  Very serious feds vs. douchy NYC officials.

Funny story, when I lived out in the southwest in my earlier adult years, I went to a court clerks office with a friend and his pregnant wife because he needed to get some legal document.  His wife saw an old ice cream vending machine outside and wanted some so I walked her outside to get one of those chocolate nutty cones.  We get back barely 2 minutes later and my friend is getting handcuffed, I said, "Dude, we were gone for 2 minutes, what did you do!?"  The cop arresting him said he had warrants for not showing up to traffic court earlier that year.  It later turned out that someone had found the license he had lost and used it when he got pulled over like 2 or 3 times for like 6 or 7 tickets total.  The judge dropped all charges of course.

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Ok, but that's not really an answer tho. If a former POTUS is a criminal and needs to be arrested, why does the secret service have a say? 

Because they are charged by federal law with protecting a former POTUS (and his/her spouse). 

Don't forget that this is all unprecedented.  There is no cookie cutter approach to any of this.

• MillerTime 1

9 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Because they are charged by federal law with protecting a former POTUS (and his/her spouse). 

Don't forget that this is all unprecedented.  There is no cookie cutter approach to any of this.

FWIW,  agree with your assessment. I don't think there's any chance that the SS would allow Trump to be cuffed and marched off to the lockup....but I have to say, I think that really stretches the definition of "protect"....

It's not like he would be in any danger.

14 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Who ultimately controls the secret service?

4 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Like I said a few pages back, when a board full of hockey fans knows that a stock is going to drop, the world at large was going to come to the same realization sooner or later. 

It just happened to happen much sooner rather than later. 

It's kind of impressive how fast it's cratering towards the ground.  We should start a pool on when it eventually gets de-listed from NASDAQ. 

The Canucks will still be playing hockey this Spring after it gets de-listed.

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

FWIW,  agree with your assessment. I don't think there's any chance that the SS would allow Trump to be cuffed and marched off to the lockup....but I have to say, I think that really stretches the definition of "protect"....

It's not like he would be in any danger.

I thought that about Epstein.  I figured if he was going to get killed, it would happen months later in general population by a paid off inmate.

Turns out, multiple cameras can suddenly "malfunction" and people can "coincidentally" suicide themselves at that exact time.

2 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

The Canucks will still be playing hockey this Spring after the it gets de-listed.

If he loses the election, you could be dead on correct.  I give it until Trump decides to dump his shares pre-election, or stops paying attention to it and sells his shares post-election.

MAGA is the only thing that will keep this stock viable.  Once they abandon it, it's Chapter 11 time.