US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

8 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The Fox settlement was supposed to be confidential.  That didn't even last 24 hours.

The smaller network's settlements probably don't leak out because there's a lot less interest in leaking anything and the leakers would be much easier to catch.  OANN is barely hanging on as a viable business as it is and only had so much it could give to Smartmatic.  I'd be surprised if Smartmatic got much more than OANN's max insurance amount.  Had they played hardball and forced OANN into bankruptcy, they wouldn't have seen much of anything past a portion of the liquidated assets.

Heck of a position for Smartmatic to be in.

Go for some money= good for the company

Go for all the money= good for idea of making 'news company's' more responsible in their reporting= good for the country.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The Fox settlement was supposed to be confidential.  That didn't even last 24 hours.

The smaller network's settlements probably don't leak out because there's a lot less interest in leaking anything and the leakers would be much easier to catch.  OANN is barely hanging on as a viable business as it is and only had so much it could give to Smartmatic.  I'd be surprised if Smartmatic got much more than OANN's max insurance amount.  Had they played hardball and forced OANN into bankruptcy, they wouldn't have seen much of anything past a portion of the liquidated assets.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. OANN doesn't have the scratch to make a big payout, so Smartmatic will take what they can get and try and keep the number secret, as it likely won't be any kind of a deterrent to other bad faith actors.

They'll probably do the same with NewsMax and use the Faux lawsuit to make the real money...

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Heck of a position for Smartmatic to be in.

Go for some money= good for the company

Go for all the money= good for idea of making 'news company's' more responsible in their reporting= good for the country.

What's even more sad is that if they chose what's better for the country, they'd be breaking the law by not maximizing their stakeholder's profit. 

How's that for uber capitalism run amok?  Adam Smith warned of things like this.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Thanks for looking it up for me.  It's not even surprising that NYS is still among the most corrupt.  I stopped checking the stats and rankings years ago.  It was depressing every time the rankings would come out.

As a city, Chicago has corruption boiled down to a fine art.  NYC could even learn a thing or three from Chicago. 

Except for Trump's buddy, Blagojevich.  He "sold" Obama's Senate seat in the most stupid easily traced ham-handed way possible when he was governor of Illinois.

I used to think Dotard was the dumbest.  But I was wrong.  That would have to be Jack Ryan.   Once married to an uber hot woman but that apparently wasn't enough for him (though his desire of group sex wouldn't be the kiss of death in the GOP today 🤣).  Seat that he ended up not being a candidate for went to some nobody.🕵️‍♀️

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I knew Canadian politics were unfortunately beginning to mirror the US, but I didn't know that it was getting bad.

I should hop in and read the Canadian politics thread once in a while.

The current GOP wouldn't be right wing enough for the people in Alberta.😉  They're like an even more wacko version of Texas.

(excluding some parts of Calgary & "Red"-monton/Edmonton)

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Thanks for looking it up for me.  It's not even surprising that NYS is still among the most corrupt.  I stopped checking the stats and rankings years ago.  It was depressing every time the rankings would come out.

As a city, Chicago has corruption boiled down to a fine art.  NYC could even learn a thing or three from Chicago. 

Except for Trump's buddy, Blagojevich.  He "sold" Obama's Senate seat in the most stupid easily traced ham-handed way possible when he was governor of Illinois.

What Blago tried to do was amateur hour indeed, he is lucky that he got pardoned by Trump.

TBH I was surprised since he was on The Apprentice TV show, I thought he would have been better versed in the art of grifting. I guess he didn’t learn too much from Donny boy. Fun fact, he is the 4th Illinois governor that went to prison.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I used to think Dotard was the dumbest.  But I was wrong.  That would have to be Jack Ryan.   Once married to an uber hot woman but that apparently wasn't enough for him (though his desire of group sex wouldn't be the kiss of death in the GOP today 🤣).  Seat that he ended up not being a candidate for went to some nobody.🕵️‍♀️

I've been in love/lust with his ex-wife for nearly 30 years!  😍

• Cheers 1

Perhaps their ethics are more appalling than his? 🤔

Republican Couple Absolutely Trashes Donald Trump Before Performing A Stunning 180

Donald Trump was slammed by a Republican-voting couple in the Trump stronghold of Roberts County, Texas, in an interview that aired on CNN on Tuesday.

Kay and Ron Swart, who voted for the presumptive GOP nominee in 2016 and 2020, agreed Trump has appalling ethics and isn’t fit for office.

But that still wouldn’t stop them from voting for the four-times-indicted former president in the 2024 election, they told CNN national correspondent Gary Tuchman.

Trump’s moral character is “terrible,” Kay Swart admitted to Tuchman.

“It can’t get much lower than it is,” she added. “He continues to make crazy comments about being a dictator on first day and repercussions against people who he feels have wronged him.”

Tuchman asked the couple if Trump would be fit to become POTUS again if he is found guilty in one of his four criminal cases.

“I don’t think he’s fit,” replied Kay Swart, before adding: “But I’m voting for him.”

Ron Swart, meanwhile, claimed the United States wouldn’t survive four more years “of Democrats in charge.”

Trump is “most definitely” of low character, poor morals and poor ethics, he said. “I feel as wrong as it’s going to be to have him for president, he’s still going to be a lot better president for the United States than what we’ve gotten with Joe Biden and the Democrats,” he added.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Republican Couple Absolutely Trashes Donald Trump Before Performing A Stunning 180

Donald Trump was slammed by a Republican-voting couple in the Trump stronghold of Roberts County, Texas, in an interview that aired on CNN on Tuesday.

Kay and Ron Swart, who voted for the presumptive GOP nominee in 2016 and 2020, agreed Trump has appalling ethics and isn’t fit for office.

But that still wouldn’t stop them from voting for the four-times-indicted former president in the 2024 election, they told CNN national correspondent Gary Tuchman.

“It can’t get much lower than it is,” she added. “He continues to make crazy comments about being a dictator on first day and repercussions against people who he feels have wronged him.”

Tuchman asked the couple if Trump would be fit to become POTUS again if he is found guilty in one of his four criminal cases.

“I don’t think he’s fit,” replied Kay Swart, before adding: “But I’m voting for him.”

Ron Swart, meanwhile, claimed the United States wouldn’t survive four more years “of Democrats in charge.”

Trump is “most definitely” of low character, poor morals and poor ethics, he said. “I feel as wrong as it’s going to be to have him for president, he’s still going to be a lot better president for the United States than what we’ve gotten with Joe Biden and the Democrats,” he added.

Those two people are friggin’ morans! The US sure has a lot of morans. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

What's even more sad is that if they chose what's better for the country, they'd be breaking the law by not maximizing their stakeholder's profit. 

How's that for uber capitalism run amok?  Adam Smith warned of things like this.

It's not a companys job to determine what is right for a country.

Government needs to do the hard work of regulation, and do it properly. Business will adjust.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

this is true power, when you can be a complete scumbag, everyone agrees on it, and they still vote you in. 

34 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

this is true power, when you can be a complete scumbag, everyone agrees on it, and they still vote you in. 

Dick Cheney shot a guy, in the face, and that guy apologized to him.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • chaos 2

12 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I've been in love/lust with his ex-wife for nearly 30 years!  😍

I had to look it up and then realized you we're talking about Seven of Nine! I am more of a Jadzia Dax fan myself but to each their own 😉

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

It's not a companys job to determine what is right for a country.

Government needs to do the hard work of regulation, and do it properly. Business will adjust.

I understand that. 

I just don't like that the government is so close and intertwined with corporations that when it gets to the point that if a CEO of a publicly traded business decides to do something small to make the world a better place without expecting any kind of otherwise positive return in revenue, he/she's technically breaking the law.

• Cheers 1

In other news, Trump's "legal adviser" Alina Habba has an interesting theory as to why he was falling asleep in court.....

She says it's because "he reads a lot".....

It's like they aren't even trying any more....:picard:

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1