US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Did Biden actually say his uncle was eaten by cannibals?   🤣

No, but he has implied it a few times.   He has at least said that his Uncle died in a part of the world where cannibalism was practiced and his body has never been found.

In Scranton, where Biden was born, he visited a memorial that honors local residents who died in World War II, including his late uncle Ambrose Finnegan. Before Biden left the city on Wednesday, he told a dramatic story about Finnegan: “He got shot down in an area where there were a lot of cannibals in New Guinea at the time. They never recovered his body.” He blamed cannibalism even more directly in his Pittsburgh speech later in the day, claiming Finnegan “got shot down in New Guinea, and they never found the body because there used to be — there were a lot of cannibals, for real, in that part of New Guinea.”

Facts First: Biden’s claim differs from the account provided by the Defense Department, as CNN’s Donald Judd reported Wednesday. The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency’s page on Finnegan says this about the 1944 incident: “For unknown reasons, this plane was forced to ditch in the ocean off the north coast of New Guinea. Both engines failed at low altitude, and the aircraft’s nose hit the water hard. Three men failed to emerge from the sinking wreck and were lost in the crash.” This official account, which notes that an additional crew member survived the crash, makes no mention of the plane being shot down or of possible cannibalism; while Biden said the crash happened “in” New Guinea, where there was indeed some cannibalism at the time, the official account notes the men went down in the nearby ocean.

White House spokespeople did not repeat Biden’s assertions about cannibals or the plane being shot down when asked about his story. “President Biden is proud of his uncle’s service in uniform, who lost his life when the military aircraft he was on crashed in the Pacific after taking off near New Guinea,” deputy press secretary Andrew Bates told CNN on Wednesday.

hey look - CNN doesn't hide it when they think Biden is speaking falsely:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/19/politics/fact-check-biden-pennsylvania-campaign-swing/index.html

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

@Sabrefan1  He didn't last long...

Yeah.  Infection sets in quick with major burn victims.  It probably also didn't help that he likely also fried his lungs.  Saving grace is I'm sure they had him drugged up with painkillers and/or sedatives just short of death the entire time he was at the hospital.

Poor guy could have died from any number of things.  It was just a race over which one would do it first.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Ok Trumper.

That's going to be the Trump lover's response when the civilized world celebrates after he finally croaks.  Some people's biggest contribution to the world is dying.

Edited by King Heffy

6 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Well chances are he would have sooner or later killed someone or more than 1.

This is a pretty deranged statement--branding someone a murderer who was anything but.

I think it's quite clear that this person did not want to hurt another soul. Self-immolation is contrary to mass killings in innumerable ways. In his head, he died a martyr. Personally I hope he finds peace if there's anything of an afterlife.

Edited by 112
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, 112 said:

This is a pretty deranged statement--branding someone a murderer who was anything but.

I think it's quite clear that this person did not want to hurt another soul. Self-immolation is contrary to mass killings in innumerable ways. In his head, he died a martyr. Personally I hope he finds peace if there's anything of an afterlife.

We have no idea what was going on in his head.  My speculation is as valid as yours.

20 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

We have no idea what was going on in his head.  My speculation is as valid as yours.

Not sure how reliable the source was, but someone yesterday posted his "manifesto" yesterday. It was heavy on the "New World Order" and other conspiracy theories. He referred to his suicide as an "extreme act of protest".  It didn't seem to have anything to do with the Trump trial. I can only guess that he felt it was where his act would garner the most notice.

According to one story I read, his mother passed away recently and it seems to have pushed him over the edge, into various internet conspiracy rabbit holes.

It seems pretty clear that the guy was suffering from mental illness and unfortunately did not get the help that he needed.

• Thanks 2
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Not sure how reliable the source was, but someone yesterday posted his "manifesto" yesterday. It was heavy on the "New World Order" and other conspiracy theories. He referred to his suicide as an "extreme act of protest".  It didn't seem to have anything to do with the Trump trial. I can only guess that he felt it was where his act would garner the most notice.

According to one story I read, his mother passed away recently and it seems to have pushed him over the edge, into various internet conspiracy rabbit holes.

It seems pretty clear that the guy was suffering from mental illness and unfortunately did not get the help that he needed.

I read that also.

That is the thing....many mass shooters and  mass murderers are mentally ill.  No one knows what he might have done.

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

LOL. Except that he was not yet President when he committed the crime. Seems to have somehow overlooked that.

But he thought about it. Isn't that same, sort of like thinking of declassifying documents is the same as declassifying them?

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Speaking of Trump and God....Dolt 45 had a rally scheduled in North Carolina today, but was forced to cancel, because of an approaching storm....

....but according to Trump fans, Hair Gropenfuhrer is God's chosen candidate....you would think the big guy would have done his boy a solid....:classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I read that also.

That is the thing....many mass shooters and  mass murderers are mentally ill.  No one knows what he might have done.

And the vast majority of mentally ill people are more likely to be victims than perpetrators of violent crime. You're just perpetuating harmful stereotypes.

• Vintage 2

‘I Serve With Some Real Scumbags!’ GOP Rep. Goes SCORCHED EARTH on Far-Right Colleagues, Claims Gaetz ‘Paid Minors To Have Sex With Him At Drug Parties’

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/i-serve-with-some-real-scumbags-gop-rep-goes-scorched-earth-on-far-right-colleagues-claims-gaetz-paid-minors-to-have-sex-with-him-at-drug-parties/

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Show me the statistics .  I am talking mass murders.  Not the average mentally ill person.

Why are you conflating this individual with mass murderers?

https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/psychiatry/articles/10.3389/fpsyt.2020.563860/full

"For example, Choe et al. (15) reported numbers between 2 to 13% of violent offenses conducted by mentally ill vs. 20 to 34% of mentally ill who had been victims of violent crimes during the same period. Some studies suggest that perpetration is highly correlated with victimization in people with severe mental illness (14)."