US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

https://stocks.apple.com/AQl3DzZF5TlS3KyJz22gAug

Donald Trump set to receive $1.25 billion worth of Trump Media stock in DJT earnout bonus

Former President Donald Trump is poised to receive up to 36 million additional shares of Trump Media after trading closes Tuesday.

The shares would be worth more than $1.25 billion at current prices.

Trump Media, which owns the Truth Social app, set aside these so-called earnout shares for him if the company's stock met a minimum share price benchmark.

Trump, who is the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, was in New York for opening statements in his criminal hush money trial.

Those Morans will blame Biden of course. 

What a bunch of fucking idiots! 

This is what happens when a country isn’t generally educated. 

Holy fuck :picard:

12 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

'He's not the alpha': Operative says trial is exposing Trump as 'small and sad'

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-hush-money-trial-2667836004/

Of course he’s small and sad!

How long does it take for the local yokels to catch on??!

This hurts my brain so much. 

Peter Polyass? 

• Cheers 1

Jurors Begin to Understand the ‘Trump Tower Conspiracy’

(these two paragraphs begin and end the linked article)

Donald Trump always wears a red necktie, right? Not anymore. For the last four days in court he’s gone with a blue one. Whether this is a lame bid for the sartorial sentiments of blue-state jurors or just a reflection of his mood, he heard more bad news in court on Monday.

What the jurors don’t know yet and won’t learn until the judge instructs them just before they deliberate is that there is nothing in New York state law requiring prosecutors to prove that Trump broke tax laws, campaign finance laws or conspiracy laws to win a felony conviction. All they need to do is prove that Trump intended to do wrong in these areas.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/04/16/opinion/thepoint#trump-trial-conspiracy-opening

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Jurors Begin to Understand the ‘Trump Tower Conspiracy’

(these two paragraphs begin and end the linked article)

Donald Trump always wears a red necktie, right? Not anymore. For the last four days in court he’s gone with a blue one. Whether this is a lame bid for the sartorial sentiments of blue-state jurors or just a reflection of his mood, he heard more bad news in court on Monday.

What the jurors don’t know yet and won’t learn until the judge instructs them just before they deliberate is that there is nothing in New York state law requiring prosecutors to prove that Trump broke tax laws, campaign finance laws or conspiracy laws to win a felony conviction. All they need to do is prove that Trump intended to do wrong in these areas.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/04/16/opinion/thepoint#trump-trial-conspiracy-opening

When ‘good’ and ‘normal’ people understand, the more they’re going to convict Agent Orange. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I don't know why. I can't explain it. But yep, Trump gets a pass from the US voting public on the same or worse comments. 

maybe @Sabrefan1 can explain it. 

Because the US public collectively has the memory and attention span of a goldfish.  Both liberals and conservatives. 

I'll bet a solid 70-75% of people couldn't even name Trump's VP without having to think about it for a few minutes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Those Morans will blame Biden of course. 

What a bunch of fucking idiots! 

This is what happens when a country isn’t generally educated. 

Holy fuck :picard:

As the old adage goes, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people." 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Because the US public collectively has the memory and attention span of a goldfish.  Both liberals and conservatives. 

I'll bet a solid 70-75% of people couldn't even name Trump's VP without having to think about it for a few minutes.

Naming Trump’s VP?  What about just naming a country?  Any country?

The little kid at the end was probably from Canada…  ☺️

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Most likely "forgot" that Ronald Reagan passed gun control legislation in California as governor *WITH* the support of the NRA as well.  Well I guess it was gun control laws with respect to "certain people".😉

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Most likely "forgot" that Ronald Reagan passed gun control legislation in California as governor *WITH* the support of the NRA as well.  Well I guess it was gun control laws with respect to "certain people".😉

When Republicans actually began to look into Reagan, the Reagan worship died down to a low murmur.  He used to be a Democrat and still had some Democratic beliefs when he was a Republican.

• Upvote 2

Jesse Watters Says Making Trump Sit In Court Is 'Cruel And Unusual Punishment'

"He’s usually golfing, and so you’re going to put a man who’s almost 80, sitting in a room like this, on his butt for all that time?" the Fox News host said.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, The Arrogant Worms said:

Jesse Watters Says Making Trump Sit In Court Is 'Cruel And Unusual Punishment'

"He’s usually golfing, and so you’re going to put a man who’s almost 80, sitting in a room like this, on his butt for all that time?" the Fox News host said.

Just wait until they see what happens to his butt once he's in prison where he belongs.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

Interesting to see the differing spins on Trump's trial from the press of various countries:

What the world's media make of Trump going on trial

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68848276

I was interested in the editorial from the Swiss publication. The author questions the case, based on an assumption that knowledge of the affair wouldn't have cost Trump votes, because of what people already knew about him....

Firstly, that's pure speculation. Who knows what would be considered disqualifying to a potential voter?

Secondly, it's immaterial anyway. Trump isn't on trial for the hush money payment itself, (even though people insist on calling it that) he's on trial for falsifying records of the payment. The editorial does go on to say that it would be unfortunate if this were the case that got him convicted rather than the Jan 6th debacle, but I don't believe you should base a criminal prosecution on a different illegal act that someone may or may not have committed.

I know the narrative is that this prosecution is politically motivated, but I'll just reiterate what I've already said many times in response to that claim....all of the Indictments against Trump were handed down by Grand Juries.....not Joe Biden and not the Democratic Party....

• Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Like him or not, his grifting game is solid...

Donald Trump is on the verge of another $1 billion Truth Social windfall

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/22/business/trump-media-stock-truth-social/index.html

I guess the question is, how much is that stock worth by the time he can sell, or borrow against it?

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I guess the question is, how much is that stock worth by the time he can sell, or borrow against it?

I thought the same until I read that just his bonus alone is over 30 million shares.  If he dumps 100 Million shares at the average price of a one dollar, that's still a 9 figure windfall.

This being the meme stock that it is, I'm guessing that it will be 10 bucks a share at the lowest when Trump decides to start dumping them.  Legally he can start dumping them in October.