US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Isn't he doing this to set up an appeal? 

Dunno.  If he's smart, he appeals it into the federal court system down the line.  The odds aren't in his favour in the New York courts. 

The thing is, I'm not sure he could bail out of house arrest once it makes it's way through state appeals.  That is if the judge sentences him to any time rather than just probation and heavy fines.  That's why making the judge angry with him may not be the smart move.

He has a lot riding on the election in November.

Oh FFS NYC...  This shit is why people are slowly turning against Democrats.  Again, I know this is just another ridiculous New York thing, but mix this in with California's brand of stupid and things start getting painted with a wide brush...

Migrants' Monthly Payment in NYC Is Higher Than Veterans Compensation

A family of four migrants in New York City receives more monthly funding than a family of four that includes a military veteran who receives disability compensation...

https://www.newsweek.com/migrants-monthly-payment-nyc-higher-veterans-compensation-1886431

54 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Dunno.  If he's smart, he appeals it into the federal court system down the line.  The odds aren't in his favour in the New York courts. 

The thing is, I'm not sure he could bail out of house arrest once it makes it's way through state appeals.  That is if the judge sentences him to any time rather than just probation and heavy fines.  That's why making the judge angry with him may not be the smart move.

He has a lot riding on the election in November.

It's his make as much chaos as possible thing. So far it's working for him. Sorta. 

• chaos 1

Trump advisers are planning US dollar devaluation if he gets elected

• There are pros and cons to a lower USD

An article (link is here) canvassing a plan for a second Trump administration to send the US dollar lower:

• According to Politico, Trump’s former trade adviser Robert Lighthizer and several policy allies would seek to make American trade more competitive by purposely weakening the dollar.

the article gives a bit of a run down on the pros and cons of a lower dollar, for example:

• more competitive US exports (a pro)
  • inflation in the domestic economy as the prices of imported goods and raw materials increase (a con)

Pretty sure if you plan a devaluation you're a currency manipulator. Something they like to accuse everyone else of.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Vintage 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  This election is a sh*tshow. 

The geriatric on the left is struggling with the teleprompter again while the geriatric on the right is sleeping through his criminal trial again.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Trump advisers are planning US dollar devaluation if he gets elected

• There are pros and cons to a lower USD

An article (link is here) canvassing a plan for a second Trump administration to send the US dollar lower:

• According to Politico, Trump’s former trade adviser Robert Lighthizer and several policy allies would seek to make American trade more competitive by purposely weakening the dollar.

the article gives a bit of a run down on the pros and cons of a lower dollar, for example:

• more competitive US exports (a pro)
  • inflation in the domestic economy as the prices of imported goods and raw materials increase (a con)

Pretty sure if you plan a devaluation you're a currency manipulator. Something they like to accuse everyone else of.

The question might be asked 'weakened against what currency?' What economy has the capability of replacing the USD. There is none.  

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The question might be asked 'weakened against what currency?' What economy has the capability of replacing the USD. There is none.  

Not until the day comes where we default on our debt.  Hopefully I'm not alive when that happens, but at the rate that we're p*ssing money away, I almost surely will be.

20 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  This election is a sh*tshow. 

The geriatric on the left is struggling with the teleprompter again while the geriatric on the right is sleeping through his criminal trial again.

How's the geriatric on the left doing as far as policy and whatnot? Or should I say the teleprompt operator?

• Cheers 1

Just now, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

How's the geriatric on the left doing as far as policy and whatnot? Or should I say the teleprompt operator?

That depends on your point of view.  Personally, I like some of what he's done.

No matter whether Biden wins or Trump, it's going to be their party members and administration that will continue to do the heavy lifting.

I usually don't like it when people just vote for a letter instead of a name for president, but in this election, it's very apropos. 

Biden wins, his party along with his administration will just continue running things.  If Trump wins, he'll be on his revenge tour while his admin and party run the country.

• Like 1

Arizona prosecutors file criminal charges over 2020 election subversion schemes

CNN — 

A grand jury in Arizona has handed up an indictment against former President Donald Trump’s allies over their efforts to overturn his 2020 election loss, including the fake electors from that state and several individuals connected to his campaign.

Boris Epshteyn, a former White House aide who remains one of Trump’s closest advisers, former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows and Rudy Giuliani are among those who have been indicted, according to a source familiar with the investigation.

Arizona Attorney General Kris Mayes, a Democrat, announced the indictment Wednesday night, focusing on the 11 individuals who acted as pro-Trump electors in the state. The names of several other indicted defendants remain redacted, Mayes said in a statement Wednesday, until those people have been served.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/24/politics/arizona-criminal-charges-2020-election-subversion/index.html

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

No matter whether Biden wins or Trump, it's going to be their party members and administration that will continue to do the heavy lifting.

I usually don't like it when people just vote for a letter instead of a name for president, but in this election, it's very apropos. 

Biden wins, his party along with his administration will just continue running things.  If Trump wins, he'll be on his revenge tour while his admin and party run the country.

I think Biden has done a pretty good job given the state of the world economy.  Trumps only focus is revenge and the "fixed" election.  He plans on introducing tariffs to everything imported into the USA which will make thing more expensive.  That and tax cuts for the wealthy.  It is a losing strategy.

I think abortion will play a huge role in the election and Republicans are shooting themselves in the foot with it.

26 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Arizona prosecutors file criminal charges over 2020 election subversion schemes

CNN — 

A grand jury in Arizona has handed up an indictment against former President Donald Trump’s allies over their efforts to overturn his 2020 election loss, including the fake electors from that state and several individuals connected to his campaign.

Boris Epshteyn, a former White House aide who remains one of Trump’s closest advisers, former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows and Rudy Giuliani are among those who have been indicted, according to a source familiar with the investigation.

Arizona Attorney General Kris Mayes, a Democrat, announced the indictment Wednesday night, focusing on the 11 individuals who acted as pro-Trump electors in the state. The names of several other indicted defendants remain redacted, Mayes said in a statement Wednesday, until those people have been served.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/24/politics/arizona-criminal-charges-2020-election-subversion/index.html

12 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

These idiots should already have been tried and imprisoned.  It's another obvious case that should have been presented 3 years ago.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I think Biden has done a pretty good job given the state of the world economy.  Trumps only focus is revenge and the "fixed" election.  He plans on introducing tariffs to everything imported into the USA which will make thing more expensive.  That and tax cuts for the wealthy.  It is a losing strategy.

I think abortion will play a huge role in the election and Republicans are shooting themselves in the foot with it.

Biden kept some of the Trump admin's tariffs after he took office.  Tariffs are a tool.  They aren't inherently bad.  Trump will just likely take aim at mostly China again.  Hopefully American corporations will be forced to move their manufacturing out of China even faster as a result of the tariffs.  Countries like Vietnam are starting to see more and more factories and jobs popping up.

Tax cuts for people who are very wealthy are a huge sticking point with me for sure.  It's politician's return on the legal bribes they get from the rich.  Don't think that the Democrats are innocent in that issue.  There's a reason why they have been beating Republicans in fundraising for some time now.

The election will hinge on swing states.  The states with firmest abortion laws are the deep red ones that Biden isn't going to win anyways.

The abortion issue will influence congressional control, not executive.  For people like me, that's perfect.  That likely means a split government.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/fbi-director-issues-warning-about-possible-terror-attack-on-u-s/ss-AA1nzcyM?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=78944c9a594d4e36a787f9bbe37125d0&ei=60

FBI Director Christopher Wray (pictured) has warned of the heightened possibility of a coordinated terror attack in the US. Wray told NBC News Nightly with Lester Holt the FBI is 'increasingly concerned [about] the potential for some kind of coordinated attack here in the homeland.'

-------------------------------about 11 more paragraphs at link.

• Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

What in particular have you ‘liked’ that Biden has done? 

What Trump policy is better?