US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-john-dean-nixon-no-criminal-immunity/

"The conservative Supreme Court wants to hand Donald Trump immunity, but it has to get around a past Nixon case to do so, former Richard Nixon White House counsel John Dean said on Thursday afternoon.

Dean, who has previously mused about the ex-president's legal issues, took to social media following a bombshell Supreme Court hearing that saw Trump's lawyer arguing that a president may be able to order the assassination of an opponent without being held liable criminally.

"Today’s SCOTUS argument on Trump’s criminal immunity revealed an activist conservative majority that wants to provide presidential immunity," Dean said. "To do so, they must get around Nixon v Fitzgerald (1982), which clearly states there is no criminal immunity for presidents."

Dean continued:

"For example, as stated in Nixon v Fitzgerald, in Chief Justice Burger’s concurring ruling in the 5-4 decision creating civil immunity: '… there is no contention that the President is immune from criminal prosecution in the courts under the criminal laws enacted by Congress, or by the States, for that matter. Nor would such a claim be credible. The Constitution itself provides that impeachment shall not bar ‘Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.’ Art. I, § 3, cl. 7. Similarly, our cases indicate that immunity from damages actions carries no protection from criminal prosecution.'"

In a separate post, Dean drew attention to one of Nixon's most infamous arguments.

"Lawyers used to laugh when they heard Nixon’s analysis during Frost/Nixon: 'When the president does it, that means it’s not illegal.' Listening to the arguments before today’s Supreme Court, it appears the Republican Justices are all in with Richard Nixon," Dean said on social media on Thursday evening. "American democracy may be unraveling quickly…"

So if trump achieves this, does that mean dark Brandon can take trump out? 

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Rook said:

So the two examples you give are not at all the types of where employers have them sign non competes.  Non compete agreements are meant to protect the companies intellectual properties.  You think it’s fair for companies to depend millions developing companies, sales contacts, program, just to have someone go to another company and steal that intellectual property?  Call centres are just above macdonalds as far as skilled workers. And why would a social worker need a non compete?   No disrespect but you are speaking out of pocket in this regards, and clearly don’t understand what goes into running Fortune 500 companies. I’m not even sure you fully understand why they are important. 

That's not true.  Companies get salespeople to sign non-compete agreements all the time to protect their customer lists.  Customer lists are not trade secrets or intellectual property.  My buddy switched from CIBC to RBC and moved over $150 million in investment assets over a period of 3 months.  CIBC sued him and took him to court.  He won and CIBC had to pay his court costs, even though he signed a non-compete agreement.  Non-compete agreements will not hold up in court if the employee is simply wanting to further their career and take their clients with them.  The banks will always argue that the clients are theirs, which is technically true, but the banks cannot stop a client from moving their assets elsewhere.

Trade secrets are a completely different animal, especially if you start the exact same business and use intellectual property to put your former company out of business...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

10 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Trump’s Lawyer Tries to Convince a Stunned Sotomayor: President Has Immunity to Order Assassinations of Rivals

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trumps-lawyer-tries-to-convince-a-stunned-sotomayor-president-has-immunity-to-order-assassinations-of-rivals/

Didn't John F. Kennedy order the assassination of the leader of Cuba, Fidel Castro, in the 1960's?

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's not true.  Companies get salespeople to sign non-compete agreements all the time to protect their customer lists.  Customer lists are not trade secrets or intellectual property.  My buddy switched from CIBC to RBC and moved over $150 million in investment assets over a period of 3 months.  CIBC sued him and took him to court.  He won and CIBC had to pay his court costs, even though he signed a non-compete agreement.  Non-compete agreements will not hold up in court if the employee is simply wanting to further their career and take their clients with them.  The banks will always argue that the clients are theirs, which is technically true, but the banks cannot stop a client from moving their assets elsewhere.

Trade secrets are a completely different animal, especially if you start the exact same business and use intellectual property to put your former company out of business...

you buddy is a POS.  Those customers were not his to take, and this is exactly why they should be allowed. And yes I know they don’t hold up in court, that’s why I don’t have people sign them, it’s so the reason I have to work so much.  I refuse to have someone steal my income. And I’m pretty sure trade secrets was my main point of contention in my posts so no, I’m not wrong. You simply decided to elaborate on side note. FYI, salesmen who take customer lists when they leave are the worst of the worst. While they don’t hold up in court, it doesn’t make it right, that’s another form of corporate espionage.  Not to mention sleazy But hey, whatever can make you afford a $60 car wash, amiright?

the amount people going about inflation and then justify these types of tactics is like shoplifting and complaining about  prices, or wanting everything to built local, then complaining about prices.  Such hypocrisy. 

11 hours ago, Bob Long said:

So if trump achieves this, does that mean dark Brandon can take trump out? 

does Biden actually have a choice?

If the president is given that immunity- Joe will have to prove to the court why that's a stupid idea.

Perhaps by starting with the 'assassination' of a few Supreme court judges, then working on the Drumpf crime Family.

I'm  completely aghast that the Supremes have not already said "NO" to immunity. truly Fuckin stupid fucks.

END of a country type stuff, going on in real time.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Didn't John F. Kennedy order the assassination of the leader of Cuba, Fidel Castro, in the 1960's?

Yes.  And you knew that before you asked the question.  Did he order the assassination of Richard Nixon or any other political opponent? 

It is the assassination of domestic political rivals that was being discussed by Sotomayor.   

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When that happened, the Leafs was just a few years away from winning a Stanley Cup.  🤣  ...and still a good number of "Dixiecrats" in the Dem party operation (whackos that all moved over to the GOP before the end of the 60s)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, Rook said:

you buddy is a POS.  Those customers were not his to take, and this is exactly why they should be allowed. And yes I know they don’t hold up in court, that’s why I don’t have people sign them, it’s so the reason I have to work so much.  I refuse to have someone steal my income. And I’m pretty sure trade secrets was my main point of contention in my posts so no, I’m not wrong. You simply decided to elaborate on side note. FYI, salesmen who take customer lists when they leave are the worst of the worst. While they don’t hold up in court, it doesn’t make it right, that’s another form of corporate espionage.  Not to mention sleazy But hey, whatever can make you afford a $60 car wash, amiright?

the amount people going about inflation and then justify these types of tactics is like shoplifting and complaining about  prices, or wanting everything to built local, then complaining about prices.  Such hypocrisy. 

My buddy isn’t a POS. People can do what they want with their business.  If you have a problem retaining business from employees that leave your business and move customers with them then maybe you are the one that needs to look in the mirror as to where the problem lies.  The fact that you keep chirping about my $60 steaks is a testament to your attitude which tells me I’m probably right. 

The fact that a non compete agreement doesn’t even hold up in court unless it’s an extreme case in stealing intellectual property tells you everything you need to know. An employer knows this but forces people to sign one anyways. These agreements are as useful as toilet paper, you claim you don’t even get your employees to sign one, and then you state that they should be enforced anyways. Like that makes no sense whatsoever. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Yes.  And you knew that before you asked the question.  Did he order the assassination of Richard Nixon or any other political opponent? 

It is the assassination of domestic political rivals that was being discussed by Sotomayor.   

Rumour has it that Lyndon B. Johnson ordered the assassination of John F. Kennedy in conjunction with the CIA  Make of that what you will. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Gurn said:

does Biden actually have a choice?

If the president is given that immunity- Joe will have to prove to the court why that's a stupid idea.

Perhaps by starting with the 'assassination' of a few Supreme court judges, then working on the Drumpf crime Family.

I'm  completely aghast that the Supremes have not already said "NO" to immunity. truly Fuckin stupid fucks.

END of a country type stuff, going on in real time.

I mean, legal is legal, right? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rumour has it that Lyndon B. Johnson ordered the assassination of John F. Kennedy in conjunction with the CIA  Make of that what you will. 

I make nothing of it.  I've always thought Woody Harrelson's dad and the Freemasons were behind the whole thing although I admit it could have been Marilyn Monroe.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I make nothing of it.  I've always thought Woody Harrelson's dad and the Freemasons were behind the whole thing although I admit it could have been Marilyn Monroe.

Don't be obtuse.  JFK shot himself & it was all staged/covered up so he could get a proper Catholic funeral.  Alex Jones knows the truth!

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My buddy isn’t a POS. People can do what they want with their business.  If you have a problem retaining business from employees that leave your business and move customers with them then maybe you are the one that needs to look in the mirror as to where the problem lies.  The fact that you keep chirping about my $60 steaks is a testament to your attitude which tells me I’m probably right. 

The fact that a non compete agreement doesn’t even hold up in court unless it’s an extreme case in stealing intellectual property tells you everything you need to know. An employer knows this but forces people to sign one anyways. These agreements are as useful as toilet paper, you claim you don’t even get your employees to sign one, and then you state that they should be enforced anyways. Like that makes no sense whatsoever. 

Just cause something is legal, doesn’t make it morally right. Tells me all I need to know as well.  The reason I don’t  get them to sign is cause I’m already aware they aren’t worth the paper they are written on.  Again doesn’t make it right. You obviously aren’t following my comments well.  Just because it’s not enforceable doesn’t make it right either. I would love to see them make enforceable! It would stop these tools from stealing business from their employers.   You clearly don’t know what goes into building businesses. Companies grow their business and grant their employees access to customers.  Why didn’t your friend start his own company?  Guys like him milk everything from these companies.  The argument from your point of view is pretty lame. Dont cry about inflation. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, but Johnson was not a sitting president eliminating a domestic rival. So even if there was presidential immunity it wouldn't apply to the argument I think you're attempting to make.

Plus, your rumor is wrong. Everyone knows it was the space aliens.......

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

🤦 I make of it another conspiracy theory 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1