US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

You guys realize she can't stand her Uncle, right?  She's taking a potshot at him.

Reacting to this last statement, Dr. Trump said she has a hard time wrapping her head around anyone being afraid "of this pathetic, weak, person who can't even keep his eyes own at his own criminal trial."

She called it "demoralizing" to watch the Manhattan District Attorney's office stand before Justice Juan Merchan and claim they were not asking for jail time because "we know that's what Donald Trump is angling for."

"Who cares what he's angling for!?" she exclaimed. "And by the way, you seriously think — yes he's angling for the martyrdom — you seriously think that guy you know 'Mr Hair Product and bronzer' wants to be in a jail cell overnight without any of his products and without his cell phone? Imagine what he's going to look like in the morning!"

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Oh good grief.  A woman on Kamala Harris's Secret Service detail went cuckoo.  The story even involves her attacking other agents with maxi-pads.

I'd post a link from sites that you all like, but the left leaning sources are barely reporting the story, just quickie blurbs saying she had a "medical episode". 

https://highlandcountypress.com/opinions/secret-service-scuffle-prompts-dei-vetting-scrutiny#gsc.tab=0

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

She's not wrong.

I would imagine that the people in charge of that courthouse are begging the Secret Service to be able to jail him.  I just can't see them ever acquiescing to that request.

We'll find out though if Trump goes nuts and damns the consequences inside or outside of the courtroom at some point.

28 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You guys realize she can't stand her Uncle, right?  She's taking a potshot at him.

She also knows him better than any of us do, has credentials that qualify her to say so, so I'm quite happy to take her word for it

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Oh good grief.  A woman on Kamala Harris's Secret Service detail went cuckoo.  The story even involves her attacking other agents with maxi-pads.

I'd post a link from sites that you all like, but the left leaning sources are barely reporting the story, just quickie blurbs saying she had a "medical episode". 

https://highlandcountypress.com/opinions/secret-service-scuffle-prompts-dei-vetting-scrutiny#gsc.tab=0

So? That impacts Kamala Harris and her ability as a VP how? I would say the 'left-leaning media/sources' are treating it as they should. A nothing burger.

(Read about this the other day so it's not exactly 'breaking news' or anything)

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

So? That impacts Kamala Harris and her ability as a VP how? I would say the 'left-leaning media/sources' are treating it as they should. A nothing burger.

(Read about this the other day so it's not exactly 'breaking news' or anything)

Why are you taking offense to it?  Where did I say it has anything to do with Kamala?

It's a story about a nutjob protecting the VP of the US.  That's one step away from protecting the POTUS himself.

Try and take it down a notch...

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Why are you taking offense to it?  Where did I say it has anything to do with Kamala?

It's a story about a nutjob protecting the VP of the US.  That's one step away from protecting the POTUS himself.

Try and take it down a notch...

Pretty sure Cerridwen wasn’t taking any offense to your post.

Perhaps just underscoring that most rational people wouldn’t equate a nutbag on her SS team with the VP and therefore didn’t reach the zeitgeist it was intended to, you know, cause…tampons. 

Obvious to ‘us’, but perhaps not to the mouth-breathers amongst us, that it seems to have been intended towards. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Pretty sure Cerridwen wasn’t taking any offense to your post.

Perhaps just underscoring that most rational people wouldn’t equate a nutbag on her SS team with the VP and therefore didn’t reach the zeitgeist it was intended to, you know, cause…tampons. 

Obvious to ‘us’, but perhaps not to the mouth-breathers amongst us, that it seems to have been intended towards.

I'm not upset with Cerridwen by any means.  I never have been.

I may have misunderstood the intention of her post but it seems like she assumed I was blaming the VP.  I'm not a fan of the VP, and apparently neither is Biden, but this has nothing to do with Harris.

I'm just astonished that she was put in a position to potentially protect the POTUS.  Kamala is one geriatric heartbeat away from being POTUS and if Joe ever needs a replacement agent, chances are decent that until a permanent agent is assigned, the replacement would come from the VP's detail.

Apparently there were warnings about her going as far back as when she was a regular beat cop.  The Secret Service has to do better.  If you want to go the route of hiring  diversity, make sure the diversity hire has an impeccable history.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I may have misunderstood the intention of her post but it seems like she assumed I was blaming the VP.  I'm not a fan of the VP, and apparently neither is Biden, but this has nothing to do with Harris.

I'm just astonished that she was put in a position to potentially protect the POTUS.  Kamala is one geriatric heartbeat away from being POTUS and if Joe ever needs a replacement agent, chances are decent that until a permanent agent is assigned, the replacement would come from the VP's detail.

Apparently there were warnings about her going as far back as when she was a regular beat cop.  The Secret Service has to do better.  If you want to go the route of hiring  diversity, make sure the diversity hire has an impeccable history.

Has Biden already said Kamala will be his running mate in n the coming election? 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Has Biden already said Kamala will be his running mate in n the coming election? 

It would be bad for the perception of his judgement and leadership if he swapped her out after he's officially nominated to run again. 

His administration may not want her but they don't have a choice but to work with her.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The only issue I have with the story (and you’ve mentioned it in two of your posts) is the “diversity hiring” angle. The implication of “bitches be crazy” and maxi-pads is pretty obvious once diversity is brought up. There are many less than stellar male hirings over the years. Most recently in my memory was the eleven members of Obama’s secret service detail being sent home from Columbia after a night of boozing and cavorting with hookers.

Bad vetting and shitty hires is the problem not diversity. There are lots of stories about the secret service that make me think it’s not the elite guard it’s made out to be.

• chaos 1

22 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

The only issue I have with the story (and you’ve mentioned it in two of your posts) is the “diversity hiring” angle. The implication of “bitches be crazy” and maxi-pads is pretty obvious once diversity is brought up. There are many less than stellar male hirings over the years. Most recently in my memory was the eleven members of Obama’s secret service detail being sent home from Columbia after a night of boozing and cavorting with hookers.

Bad vetting and shitty hires is the problem not diversity. There are lots of stories about the secret service that make me think it’s not the elite guard it’s made out to be.

You're reading too far into it.  There were nutjobs on Obama's detail that got booted from their jobs for off-hours shenanigans.  That made big news when it happened.

The maxi pad thing just illustrates the nutjob aspect.  I would have eaten a fist if I threw my jock at a former teammate.

She has been said to have been a DEI hire in full news articles (this one hinted at it), a faux news report, and an interview with a former SS agent I watched earlier.

If you're going to do DEI hires, make sure that the deciding factor is more than gender.  There are so many qualified women that can do that job so it's not like they are starved for choice.

Bad vetting and shitty hires cannot be accepted for the Secret Service and yet it's become a trend.

You nailed it on the head with this statement, "There are lots of stories about the secret service that make me think it’s not the elite guard it’s made out to be."

The Secret Service leaders need to be re-vetted and the bad ones replaced.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You're reading too far into it.  There were nutjobs on Obama's detail that got booted from their jobs for off-hours shenanigans.  That made big news when it happened.

The maxi pad thing just illustrates the nutjob aspect.  I would have eaten a fist if I threw my jock at a former teammate.

She has been said to have been a DEI hire in full news articles (this one hinted at it), a faux news report, and an interview with a former SS agent I watched earlier.

If you're going to do DEI hires, make sure that the deciding factor is more than gender.  There are so many qualified women that can do that job so it's not like they are starved for choice.

Bad vetting and shitty hires cannot be accepted for the Secret Service and yet it's become a trend.

You nailed it on the head with this statement, "There are lots of stories about the secret service that make me think it’s not the elite guard it’s made out to be."

Yup. Ms. Harris deserves the best watching out for her. She could quite likely (after Biden wins a second term) be president because he can’t complete the term. Might be good for everyone to have Ms. Harris as President. So protect her with the best! 

34 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

The only thing that should matter when hiring SS agents is the skill and the ability to do the job.

Unfortunately that’s not always a case, especially nowadays that everything has to be “balanced” 

Sometimes qualified people fuck up or do stupid things but mediocrity shouldn’t be tolerated in favor of filling quotas.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Yes but is it really a trend if it’s being going on for decades? And with a history of shitty male hires then tell me why one bad female hire stands out because of diversity. So blame diversity if you must but then why don’t we assign a reason for all the others? 

I agree that we should be talking about leadership, the people they hire, procedures and inadequate funding by Congress. I mean in 2014 a guy wearing crocs with a knife climbs a fence and gets all the way into the East room before he gets spotted. In 2017 another climber walks all the way to the east entrance past a multi-million dollar security system of sensors, dogs  and guards.

The Secret Service’s tradition of drunken debauchery goes back to at least November 1963, in Dallas, when some agents apparently got so hammered in a gin joint just hours before the fateful motorcade that they could barely walk, much less leap to the president’s defense. 

26 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

The only thing that should matter when hiring SS agents is the skill and the ability to do the job.

Unfortunately that’s not always a case, especially nowadays that everything has to be “balanced” 

Sometimes qualified people fuck up or do stupid things but mediocrity shouldn’t be tolerated in favor of filling quotas.

Although I tend to agree with what you’re saying about quotas I completely disagree with the excuse of “f’ing up or doing stupid things.”  I don’t think that Michelle or Melania would feel any better if their husband was dead because the ss wasn’t at their best because they were drinking or hung over rather than a diversity hire. Neither bad hiring should be tolerated nor is one worse than the other.