US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

12 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Yes but is it really a trend if it’s being going on for decades? And with a history of shitty male hires then tell me why one bad female hire stands out because of diversity. So blame diversity if you must but then why don’t we assign a reason for all the others? 

I agree that we should be talking about leadership, the people they hire, procedures and inadequate funding by Congress. I mean in 2014 a guy wearing crocs with a knife climbs a fence and gets all the way into the East room before he gets spotted. In 2017 another climber walks all the way to the east entrance past a multi-million dollar security system of sensors, dogs  and guards.

The Secret Service’s tradition of drunken debauchery goes back to at least November 1963, in Dallas, when some agents apparently got so hammered in a gin joint just hours before the fateful motorcade that they could barely walk, much less leap to the president’s defense.

You are preaching to the choir.  Most of these agencies need a scrubbing from the top down.  Problem is, who is competent and unbiased enough to do the scrubbing?

My issue with DEI is that when you have politically motivated morons, male and female, doing the hiring, things are going to go from bad to worse.

Enough of these stories of sh*tty agents make the news.  How many more of these stories are covered up and never see the light of day?

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Although I tend to agree with what you’re saying about quotas I completely disagree with the excuse of “f’ing up or doing stupid things.”  I don’t think that Michelle or Melania would feel any better if their husband was dead because the ss wasn’t at their best because they were drinking or hung over rather than a diversity hire. Neither bad hiring should be tolerated nor is one worse than the other. 

I don’t think I conveyed my point quite well.

I was trying to illustrate that sometimes even “perfect” candidates don’t pan out for various reasons. 

But as long as due diligence was done, it is hard to predict how someone will act in few years.

If lesser candidate is given preference because of race, gender, age etc. that’s a problem in my eyes.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

I was trying to illustrate that sometimes even “perfect” candidates don’t pan out for various reasons. 

But as long as due diligence was done, it is hard to predict how someone will act in few years.

If lesser candidate is given preference because of race, gender, age etc. that’s a problem in my eyes.

Quite right there is no guarantee that any candidate pans out, perfect or otherwise.

A lesser candidate should never be hired just to promote diversity, particularly where safety is involved. Diversity hiring should generally be for when two are equal but one is from a disadvantaged or previously excluded group. If that’s the case here then perhaps she was the “perfect” candidate that didn’t pan out that you spoke of. If not (and it sounds like her resume had some red flags in it) then clearly those doing the hiring are the problem not the program itself.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Ms. Harris deserves the best watching out for her. She could quite likely (after Biden wins a second term) be president because he can’t complete the term. Might be good for everyone to have Ms. Harris as President. So protect her with the best! 

The name escapes me but the Commerce Secretary looks really good to me. She was on 60 Minutes last week. She appears to be a Democrat contender for post Biden era. Harris doesn't get good reviews. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The name escapes me but the Commerce Secretary looks really good to me. She was on 60 Minutes last week. She appears to be a Democrat contender for post Biden era. Harris doesn't get good reviews. 

I'd like to see Biden and Katie Porter as running mates.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I think there's a bit of a problem with a 'best person' fallacy in our politics in north america. The fact is, many people are qualified to do the jobs, particularly at the US cabinet and Canadian ministerial levels. 

There is a benefit to representation. People feel like they have someone in government who speaks for them. Thats worth a lot, imo.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

FB_IMG_1714488658996.jpg

Ain't going to lie...if I was President and the SC rules in Trump's favor...I would wipe out his bloodline and leave him alive knowing it is all over when he finally has his last Big Mac 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Gina Raimondo.   I saw that episode as well and I agree she seems to be someone that can get things done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gina_Raimondo

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

I'd like to see Biden and Katie Porter as running mates.

I've been a Katie Porter fan for quite a while, but this dream looks to be dead, after KP finished third in the race for Diane Feinstein's old Senate seat....

It looks like Porter fell victim to the same sort of establishment thinking that cost Bernie Sanders the presidential nomination in 2016. She rubbed members of the Democratic establishment the wrong way, (which, Ironically, is what made her popular in the first place) and as usual, it was the old guard that showed up to vote in the primary, while the younger, more idealistic voters who make up her base, did not. (at least not in the numbers that she needed)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

@The Arrogant Worms Your dishwasher really screwed everything up…  ☺️

I don’t think this stock is going to $2 anytime soon. Trump now owns 65% of the company so there is not enough of a float for traders to try and tank the stock. Plus, they are now targeting the “naked” short sellers, which was the main reason the stock was tanking earlier. It looks like this stock might go back up to $60-70. 

IMG_1313.png

Edited by Elias Pettersson

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

@The Arrogant Worms You’re dishwasher really screwed everything up…  ☺️

I don’t think this stock is going to $2 anytime soon.  Trump now owns 65% of the company so there is not enough of a float for traders to try and tank the stock. Plus, they are now targeting the “naked” short sellers. It looks like this stock might go back up to $60-70. 

IMG_1313.png

Never underestimate the power of Trump to ruin a business. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

@The Arrogant Worms Your dishwasher really screwed everything up…  ☺️

I don’t think this stock is going to $2 anytime soon. Trump now owns 65% of the company so there is not enough of a float for traders to try and tank the stock. Plus, they are now targeting the “naked” short sellers, which was the main reason the stock was tanking earlier. It looks like this stock might go back up to $60-70. 

IMG_1313.png

Shows you how many suckers their are.

A distinguished professor of history at American University, Allan Lichtman has made a name for himself through one unusual talent: He has correctly predicted the outcome of nine elections out of the 10 most recent presidential races, using a model he invented known as the 13 keys. 

The only election he has incorrectly predicted was the 2000 presidential election, selecting Al Gore over George Bush in a prediction he insists was the correct choice, saying the 2000 election was stolen.

Lichtman is not slated to give his official prediction until August, but so far, he thinks Joe Biden has the upper hand. 

“A lot would have to go wrong for Biden to lose,” he told the Guardian. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/26/allan-lichtman-prediction-presidential-election

• Cheers 2

Saw a bit of this guy, on the Bill Maher show a couple days ago, and then a small segment of him on MSNBC.

Author Scott Galloway;

----------------------------------

Looks like there is a big problem out there.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

A distinguished professor of history at American University, Allan Lichtman has made a name for himself through one unusual talent: He has correctly predicted the outcome of nine elections out of the 10 most recent presidential races, using a model he invented known as the 13 keys. 

The only election he has incorrectly predicted was the 2000 presidential election, selecting Al Gore over George Bush in a prediction he insists was the correct choice, saying the 2000 election was stolen.

Lichtman is not slated to give his official prediction until August, but so far, he thinks Joe Biden has the upper hand. 

“A lot would have to go wrong for Biden to lose,” he told the Guardian. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/26/allan-lichtman-prediction-presidential-election

So, are we supposed to believe an election denier?  Shouldn’t he be arrested for that?  🤨

7 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Saw a bit of this guy, on the Bill Maher show a couple days ago, and then a small segment of him on MSNBC.

Author Scott Galloway;

----------------------------------

Looks like there is a big problem out there.

This is a guy who actually does "tell it like it is". I've seen him on Real Time several times and I'm a fan....

The bit last week about young men not having enough sex was both hilarious and accurate....

• Upvote 1