US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Baton Blanc? 

Or baton to the kneecaps if you ain't? 

I did some digging because that was my first thought as well.  But your response is much funnier. 🤣

Turns out that Baton Rouge has one of the worst school districts in the country and these people are fairly well off so they wanted to create their own school district to send their kids to but were denied.  They were told the only way to do that was to create their own city.  So they did what well to do people can afford to do, they hired lawyers to do just that.

I never had children but from what I've seen, parents are pretty willing to go to any length for their kids.  What sucks for some is that the fight for new schools took 14-15 years so the people who began the fight never saw the benefits for their own children.  I suppose their grandchildren though will now have good schools to go to.

Edited by Sabrefan1
clarity

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

🤣  Finally something that tops "Urine Man"!   "VonShitzInPants" 🤣

I still prefer "Shitler" but this being part of official court records for eternity is hilarious.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Who'd thought a wacko nutjob (Jr) might take away votes from another wacko nutjob (Urine man)?

It's funny, because pretty much from the day he started talking about a run for POTUS, people were afraid of him taking votes from Biden. That always struck me as an odd opinion....

This clown is all about "freedom" from vaccine mandates and public health orders. (TBH, I don't have the foggiest idea of what else he's running on) Does that sort of stance suggest a more liberal, or a more conservative leaning?

It always seemed obvious (to me at least) the RFK Jr would bleed more votes from Trump than Biden....:classic_unsure:

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

It's funny, because pretty much from the day he started talking about a run for POTUS, people were afraid of him taking votes from Biden. That always struck me as an odd opinion....

This clown is all about "freedom" from vaccine mandates and public health orders. (TBH, I don't have the foggiest idea of what else he's running on) Does that sort of stance suggest a more liberal, or a more conservative leaning?

It always seemed obvious (to me at least) the RFK Jr would bleed more votes from Trump than Biden....:classic_unsure:

There are anti vaxxers on both sides of the political spectrum, so it is a legitimate concern.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

There are anti vaxxers on both sides of the political spectrum, so it is a legitimate concern.

I guess.....:classic_unsure:

....but I'd be willing to bet that if you placed them all on a giant plank on either side of a fulcrum, the "conservative" side would never get off the ground....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Then there are those that defy description other than wackos too wacko to be supported by wackos:

I've noticed a bit of a tendency on the left to think we don't have anti-vaxxers too, but they exist. 

I don't know what to say about this tweet tho, its like gays for Gaza, the leaders of people they are supporting would throw them off a roof. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

maybe, but we can't deny the left has it too, for many reasons; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9111101/ 

I don't think I was denying it. All I said was that I think it will hurt Trump more than it will hurt Biden. :classic_unsure:

This article from the Brookings Institute appears to back up my theory:

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/for-covid-19-vaccinations-party-affiliation-matters-more-than-race-and-ethnicity/

Of Americans surveyed from Sept. 13-22, 72% of adults 18 and older had been vaccinated, including 71% of white Americans, 70% of Black Americans, and 73% of Hispanics. Contrast these converging figures with disparities based on politics: 90% of Democrats had been vaccinated, compared with 68% of Independents and just 58% of Republicans.

Roughly half of the 282 total people arrested at Columbia and CCNY were not affiliated with the schools, NYPD says

From CNN's John Miller

Out of the total 282 people arrested at both Columbia University and the City College of New York on Tuesday, 134 individuals were not affiliated with either school, according to a New York Police Department official who shared the breakdown with CNN. The remaining 148 individuals did have an affiliation with one of the two universities.

Broken down by school, the numbers skew a bit differently — 80 people arrested at Columbia did have an affiliation with the Ivy League university, while only 32 did not, according to the official. Those numbers represent arrests both inside and outside Hamilton Hall. 

At CCNY, the breakdown was flipped —102 people arrested were not affiliated with the school and only 68 were affiliated. 

The NYPD said it was able to determine this data by cross-checking records with the universities. 

• Thanks 1

Trump's brain exposed as a 'series of hazy corridors filled with dead ends': analysis

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-brain/

Time Magazine this week published a lengthy interview with former President Donald Trump this week that analyst Noah Berlatsky believes exposes a cracked and fragmented psyche.

Writing at Public Notice, Berlatsky says that Trump's talk about deporting 11 million people living in the United States and about purging the civil service of anyone deemed insufficiently loyal is alarming.

However, those individual policy ideas don't capture what Berlatsky says is even more unnerving about the interview.

"Reading the whole interview, though, it’s clear that Trump does not know anything about anything," he contends. "His mind is a series of hazy orange corridors filled with dead ends, open pits, and trip wires.

He stumbles through the maze, thunking gently off the walls, every so often belching forth a random quasi-anecdote or catch phrase."

• Thanks 2