US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I've learned not to get my hopes up with this slippery scumbag. He never seems to reap any consequences for his illegal and/or immoral actions. To underscore that statement, today I read that Michael Cohen may have inadvertently cleared Bone Spurs in the hush money case....

Apparently, he surreptitiously recorded a conversation with Trump where he describes the payment to Stormy and then says something like "I've talked to Weisselberg on how to handle it", suggesting that Fat Boy may have been unaware of the falsification of the records for the payment.

If he's not guilty then he's not guilty.  Even though I don't personally like Trump, I don't want to see him get found guilty of a crime he didn't commit.

I'm still curious on where the Georgia case(s) will land.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

If he's not guilty then he's not guilty.  Even though I don't personally like Trump, I don't want to see him get found guilty of a crime he didn't commit.

I'm still curious on where the Georgia case(s) will land.

He may not have known what Weisselberg was going to do when the conversation with Cohen happened, but I find it pretty difficult to believe he didn't know about the scheme at all. I just don't see him as someone who doesn't want to know everything about his business.

My guess is that AW and MC filled him in at some point. Cohen had just made it more difficult to prove. Hopefully, the prosecution has other evidence.

Edited by RupertKBD

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

He may not have known what Weisselberg was going to do when the conversation with Cohen happened, but I find it pretty difficult to believe he didn't know about the scheme at all. I just don't see him as someone who doesn't want to know everything about his business.

My guess is that AW and MC filled him in at some point. Cohen had just made it more difficult to prove. Hopefully, the prosecution has evidence evidence.

This is NY.  Neither the state nor city is a bastion of honesty.  It's why I don't feel bad that the NYC mayor is getting made an example of by his own party. 

Unless the prosecution drops the ball, Trump is going to be found guilty of one or more charges eventually.  Then it will make it's way through the appeals process.

For me, the only suspense in all of this is if they'll only put him on probation, put him under house arrest during appeals, or will he be out on bail while the case winds it's way through the system.

Edited by Sabrefan1
weird choice of a word.

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

This is NY.  Neither the state nor city is a bastion of honesty.  It's why I don't feel bad that the NYC mayor is getting made an example of by his own party. 

Unless the prosecution drops the ball, Trump is going to be found guilty of one or more charges eventually.  Then it will make it's way through the appeals process.

For me, the only suspense in all of this is if they'll only put him on probation, put him under house arrest during appeals, or will he be out on bail while the case winds it's way through the system.

Rikers if he doesn't cut out the terrorism.  The secret service can hand him hot sauce to use as lube.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

My guess is the third option. As I said, this guy always seems to get the breaks.....and yes, I know how ironic that sounds for a guy who's facing 91 felony charges. The fact is, he's been a crook his entire life and maybe....finally....the chickens are coming home to roost.

I'm just not counting them yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • chaos 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/if-you-can-t-beat-em-nullify-their-votes-trump-s-latest-lawsuit-against-nevada-s-voters-opinion/ar-BB1lRqu1?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=204ba8ace81a4b6ebee84cc91f1b3e31&ei=29

"

Donald Trump along with the Republican National Committee and the Nevada Republican Party, both wholly owned Trump subsidiaries, sued Nevada Friday saying any mail ballots that are not received by or on Election Day must not be counted.

Nevada law requires mail ballots to be counted as long as they are postmarked no later than Election Day and received by county election officials within four days after Election Day.

The suit is almost identical to one Trump’s Republicans filed in Mississippi(!?) early this year. (Yet again Nevada is the Mississippi of the West, but this time in a different way.)

Yes, Republican advocacy of “state’s rights” has always been situational.

Other nearly identical suits to disenfranchise a segment of the mailing electorate have already been dismissed (by Trump-appointed judges by the way) in Illinois and North Dakota.

Trump & Friends keep filing the suits anyway, and presumably more are on the way in the 19 states and territories that require ballots to be counted after Election Day provided they’re post-marked by or on Election Day.

Even if Trump loses all the suits, they are a vehicle for casting aspersions on democracy and another means to try to dishonestly discredit election results in advance. (As Trump said this week, “If everything’s honest, I’ll gladly accept the results.…If it’s not, you have to fight for the right of the country.” Everyone knows what that means.)

----------------------

MAL

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Kristi Noem Suggests Biden’s Dog Should Be Shot Too in Shocking Face the Nation Interview

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/kristi-noem-suggests-bidens-dog-should-be-shot-too-in-shocking-face-the-nation-interview/

I can't wait until Trump goes to jail and loses the election. If these things don't happen, I feel people like Kristi Noem and MTG will only be the beginning.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Some Sunday reading about left wing favourite AOC.

The Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez You Don’t Know

But Democrats frustrated by her theatrics may be missing a more compelling picture. In straddling the line between outsider and insider, Ms. Ocasio-Cortez is trying to achieve the one thing that might just shore up her fractured party: building a new Democratic coalition that can consistently draw a majority of American support.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/04/opinion/alexandria-ocasio-cortez.html?unlocked_article_code=1.p00.qtvN.-j7sJe_MCpWh&smid=url-share

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Some Sunday reading about left wing favourite AOC.

The Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez You Don’t Know

But Democrats frustrated by her theatrics may be missing a more compelling picture. In straddling the line between outsider and insider, Ms. Ocasio-Cortez is trying to achieve the one thing that might just shore up her fractured party: building a new Democratic coalition that can consistently draw a majority of American support.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/04/opinion/alexandria-ocasio-cortez.html?unlocked_article_code=1.p00.qtvN.-j7sJe_MCpWh&smid=url-share

Just a random comment but that line stating the Democrats being "fractured"... after seeing how the Republicans are doing, I wonder what metaphor would be used for that.... would have to be at least a canyon in between I would think...

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Just a random comment but that line stating the Democrats being "fractured"... after seeing how the Republicans are doing, I wonder what metaphor would be used for that.... would have to be at least a canyon in between I would think...

Yes, Grand Canyon.

• Cheers 1

IMHO both Canadiens and Americans would be well served if they sat down and listened/watched the Berkshire Hathaway AGM. They might learn about the value of pragmatic and long term investing. Understanding that there are quality people who do good things in this world. The realization that most pundits and politicians are simply bull shitters. 

• ThereItIs 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/trump-threatens-biden-with-very-big-price-over-doj-s-indictment-of-respected-democrat/ar-BB1lSmQ3?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=f6df70b54f1e432eb22682fbfa4bbf1c&ei=100

"

onald Trump on Sunday threatened Joe Biden while blaming the current president for the recent indictment of a Democratic lawmaker who is accused of "participating in two schemes involving bribery, unlawful foreign influence, and money laundering."

The indictment of Henry Cuellar was recently announced by the DOJ, which said that he and his wife allegedly took approximately $600,000 in bribes from a fossil fuel company owned by the Azerbaijani government and an unnamed bank headquartered in Mexico City.

-------------------

mal

--------------------------

Interesting, I thought that Biden's criminally run DOJ only targeted Republicans?

Yet this guy is a Democrat?

Maybe this kinda proves that the DOJ doesn't care about party affiliation?

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Things are getting exciting... 

The judge has hit Trump with his 10th contempt of court and is again warning about jailing him...

I'm now wondering if the Secret Service truly had the cajones to tell NY that they won't allow Trump to be confined or if they struck a deal that would allow them to have instant access to a cell door.

Or is the judge just bluffing in an attempt to get Trump to stop publicly speaking.

DRAMA!!!!  🤣

https://www.yahoo.com/news/live/trump-trial-live-updates-judge-finds-trump-violated-gag-order-again-and-threatens-jail-time-while-jury-sees-paper-trail-in-hush-money-case-131357772.html

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The judge has hit Trump with his 10th contempt of court and is again warning about jailing him...

I'm now wondering if the Secret Service truly had the cajones to tell NY that they won't allow Trump to be confined or if they struck a deal that would allow them to have instant access to a cell door.

Or is the judge just bluffing in an attempt to get Trump to stop publicly speaking.

DRAMA!!!!  🤣

https://www.yahoo.com/news/live/trump-trial-live-updates-judge-finds-trump-violated-gag-order-again-and-threatens-jail-time-while-jury-sees-paper-trail-in-hush-money-case-131357772.html

Or possibly the SS has been ordered not to interfere if Agent Orange refuses to conduct himself appropriately.  He'll be lucky to avoid gen pop in Rikers if he can't cut out the domestic terrorism.

12 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

DRAMA!!!!  🤣

I doubt very much that the Judge is bluffing and arraignments have probably been discussed with the SS on who is manning the watch. Secret Service (but Frump would prefer the other).

• Cheers 1