US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Boom! Cannon just put the hammer to the classified documents case. That’s ones all but done now imo.

What a surprise....lol.  She is a horrible Judge.

https://www.mediaite.com/crime/breaking-judge-aileen-cannon-postpones-trumps-documents-trial-indefinitely/

Cannon’s handling of the case has been heavily scrutinized. In September 2022, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Cannon “abused” her discretion when she ordered an independent review of the documents that were seized. Meanwhile, some legal analysts have slammed her for making “baffling” and “unhinged” decisions.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

48 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Johnson demands all Trump prosecutions cease, vows to use Congress ‘in every possible way’

https://www.rawstory.com/johnson-demands-all-trump-prosecutions-cease-vows-to-use-congress-in-every-possible-way/

40 minutes ago, Ralph. said:

^ What a clown.

Don't forget: Johnson made the trip to Mara-Lardo last month to kiss the ring. Not long after, Trump came out and defended him, even as MTG and a couple of other Congressional dipshits were threatening to oust him.

Obviously, they cut a deal... Johnson runs interference on Trump's criminal trials and Trump calls off the dog(s)....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

20 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

What a surprise....lol.  She is a horrible Judge.

https://www.mediaite.com/crime/breaking-judge-aileen-cannon-postpones-trumps-documents-trial-indefinitely/

Cannon’s handling of the case has been heavily scrutinized. In September 2022, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Cannon “abused” her discretion when she ordered an independent review of the documents that were seized. Meanwhile, some legal analysts have slammed her for making “baffling” and “unhinged” decisions.

I'm guessing that Smith will have no choice but to ask the 11th Circuit to intervene....again....

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm guessing that Smith will have no choice but to ask the 11th Circuit to intervene....again....

The CIPA section 4 and 5 hearings are not that hard.  The problem is she has been dragging her feet for over 6 months on them.  Smith even tried to "inform" her. 

It's not hard.  CIPA section 4 involves the government indicating which documents can be introduced, which ones would need redaction  and which ones need summaries.

Section 5 involves the defense indicating which documents they plan to introduce in trial, giving the government and court a chance to determine if the documents can be introduced as is, if they need to be redacted,  or if only summaries will work.

It isn't rocket science.  I have no legal training and I think even I could do it. 

Her whole game is to delay until after the election and muddy the waters, hopefully dismissing the case when double jeopardy applies. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

No matter what the appellate court decides, the trial is now off of the docket and if it gets kicked back into the lower courts, a new date will have to be set and that would land in October or November.  The federal court, especially if it gets kicked back to the same judge, is not likely to try the by-then nominated presidential candidate the month before or the month of an election because if Trump is elected, he will order the his new Attorney General to drop the case.  Then on the last week of his presidency in 2028/9, he won't make the same mistake twice, he'll give himself a blanket pardon.

As I've been saying all along.  Trump has so much more than any other candidate in history riding on winning this election.  He wins, everything but the 2 state cases disappears forever.  The NY stuff, he'll be dragging through the state, then federal, court systems through most of his 2nd term.  My guess is that the GA one that is already hanging by a thread will go away especially if he hits back at NY state during his revenge tour.

If Trump loses the election, he should sell his stocks and pre-pay the best law firms that will take his newly invigorated cases so he can try and avoid house arrest because the dogs will be hunting him down.

DeSantis is coming for your meat. 

Florida this month became the first U.S. state to ban meat created from cell cultures. Alabama is following suit. Other states are enacting softer restrictions. Even in Canada, early whispers of the discussion are stirring.

It's no surprise that a politician renowned for flinging himself into the forefront of the most polarizing debates wound up taking the opening stab at lab meat.

Gov. Ron DeSantis last week signed a bill that sets a $500 US fine, corporate penalties and potentially even 60 days in jail for making, selling or distributing lab meat in his state.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/florida-ban-analysis-canada-1.7197136

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Florida this month became the first U.S. state to ban meat created from cell cultures. Alabama is following suit. Other states are enacting softer restrictions. Even in Canada, early whispers of the discussion are stirring.

It's no surprise that a politician renowned for flinging himself into the forefront of the most polarizing debates wound up taking the opening stab at lab meat.

Gov. Ron DeSantis last week signed a bill that sets a $500 US fine, corporate penalties and potentially even 60 days in jail for making, selling or distributing lab meat in his state.

but... why? does the cruelty make it taste better?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Can't even make,  'fake meat'?--- in the land of the free.

I can sort of see not for sale, or distribution; but can't even make it, seem quite restrictive.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, 112 said:

but... why? does the cruelty make it taste better?

Two biggest reasons that I can think of...

1.  Gives the far right massive hard-ons to be d-bags.  Funny thing is that as much as they decry people being woke; this is their version of right wing woke.  EV vehicles, green power, and lab created meat.

2.  Believe it or not, the cattle ranchers association is very powerful in Washington DC.  They shower Congress with cash then raise the price of protein to recover that cost.

Edited by Sabrefan1
Punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

This explains everything....

NYT: RFK Jr. says worm ‘got into my brain and ate a portion of it’

Independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. experienced a series of health issues in recent years, including an abnormality that he said was caused by a worm that entered his brain and then died, The New York Times reported on Wednesday.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/08/politics/rfk-jr-mercury-poisoning-brain-parasite/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/08/us/rfk-jr-brain-health-memory-loss.html

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Two biggest reasons that I can think of...

1.  Gives the far right massive hard-ons to be d-bags.  Funny thing is that as much as they decry people being woke.  This is their version of right wing woke.  EV vehicles, green power, and lab created meat.

2.  Believe it or not, the cattle ranchers association is very powerful in Washington DC.  They shower Congress with cash then raise the price of protein to recover that cost.

I didn't know this. Thanks.

I guess progress isn't always linear. I think in a couple of decades there will be a large market for lab-grown meat. But today isn't tomorrow...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

Independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. experienced a series of health issues in recent years, including an abnormality that he said was caused by a worm that entered his brain and then died, The New York Times reported on Wednesday.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/08/politics/rfk-jr-mercury-poisoning-brain-parasite/index.html

The weirdest sh*t keeps happening to that family. 

I don't know whether to chuckle at this or feel bad for the guy.

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I'd take him at his word on this one. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Can't even make,  'fake meat'?--- in the land of the free.

I can sort of see not for sale, or distribution; but can't even make it, seem quite restrictive.

its funny isn't it, the ones that yell freedom the loudest want to restrict you the most?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

its funny isn't it, the ones that yell freedom the loudest want to restrict you the most?

Sadly, the US is a corporatocracy.

As for the meat thing, if it ever gets produced in mass quantities, and is cheaper, and tastes the same, these bans will quietly disappear because it will become an issue that normal people will care about and pay attention to.

Just like EV's.  Several states tried everything that they could to kill EV's, but gave up the fight when people started to buy them en masse.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Sadly, the US is a corporatocracy.

sure but at least I get same day delivery.

The right wing in the US and Canada have become something very creepy. Yes of course the lefties have their nutters, but usually its more about adding rights than taking them away.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

As for the meat thing, if it ever gets produced in mass quantities, and is cheaper, and tastes the same, these bans will quietly disappear because it will become an issue that normal people will care about and pay attention to.

Just like EV's.  Several states tried everything that they could to kill EV's, but gave up the fight when people started to buy them en masse.

I understand the value of protecting a quality farm industry, but so much of the stuff made in the meat industry is just pure trash filled with hormones and antibiotics. Fast food products are a another level of nasty on top of that. Good riddance to all of it, imo.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

'And the worms ate into his brain"

Gotta wonder, did he shoot the worm, like Noem shot the puppy?

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

sure but at least I get same day delivery.

The right wing in the US and Canada have become something very creepy. Yes of course the lefties have their nutters, but usually its more about adding rights than taking them away.

The left can and would take away rights just as quickly as the right if they ever got a super-majority.  The parties are even trying to kill the super majority part and just have it be a simple majority.  The left wing people on this board were even cheering that effort on.

I understand the value of protecting a quality farm industry, but so much of the stuff made in the meat industry is just pure trash filled with hormones and antibiotics. Fast food products are a another level of nasty on top of that. Good riddance to all of it, imo.

There's a reason why some countries have a ban on importing US produced foods.

35 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The weirdest sh*t keeps happening to that family. 

I don't know whether to chuckle at this or feel bad for the guy.

Delayed PTSD at seeing both his Dad and Uncle assassinated on TV?

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Delayed PTSD at seeing both his Dad and Uncle assassinated on TV?

To be honest, I'm not sure.  In his case, I think that he's just the black sheep of the family.  He's all but said that himself.

• Cheers 1