US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

But, but..racism.

Agreed 100%

The only thing I see a difference in is that I have not seen people being as critical with Joe Biden over the border wall as they were with Trump. I mean, don't you remember what some of you guys said about Trump and the border wall? Your response here is nothing close to what was said about Trump.

I mean, he did start his campaign after the escalator with the whole "some of them are good people" speech.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, the destroyer of worlds said:

I mean, he did start his campaign after the escalator with the whole "some of them are good people" speech.  

I don't even know what you're talking about. Do you mean the good people on both sides? That's the comment from his presidency that I thought was the most ridiculous.

My point was is that when Biden continued something  the Trump critics absolutely attacked Trump for, especially on CDC then to kind of be quiet and to barely blame The other guy just seems bizarre but I guess that's kind of the way things are in this country as well.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think you make a great point here. How can you blame the Republicans if the Democrats in power are doing nothing either? Either there's a hush hush going on in the United States or it's all just a fabrication. But then again I don't know enough about the story. I got my info a while back on it and I thought the guy was guilty but who knows I'm certainly not the most up to speed.

There is an unofficial caste system in the US.  If you are high up enough in the caste system, you'll get away with almost anything.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

There is an unofficial caste system in the US.  If you are high up enough in the caste system, you'll get away with almost anything.

Yeah, I agree with that. Didn't Teddy Kennedy a long time ago get into a car accident while drunk and his wife ended up dying? Maybe I'm mistaken on the details or the whole story.

Trump allegedly discussed US nuclear subs with foreign national after leaving White House: Sources

Trump allegedly discussed the information with an Australian billionaire.

Months after leaving the White House, former President Donald Trump allegedly discussed potentially sensitive information about U.S. nuclear submarines with a member of his Mar-a-Lago Club -- an Australian billionaire who then allegedly shared the information with scores of others, including more than a dozen foreign officials, several of his own employees, and a handful of journalists, according to sources familiar with the matter.

The potential disclosure was reported to special counsel Jack Smith's team as they investigated Trump's alleged hoarding of classified documents at Mar-a-Lago, the sources told ABC News. The information could shed further light on Trump's handling of sensitive government secrets.

Prosecutors and FBI agents have at least twice this year interviewed the Mar-a-Lago member, Anthony Pratt, who runs U.S.-based Pratt Industries, one of the world's largest packaging companies.

In those interviews, Pratt described how -- looking to make conversation with Trump during a meeting at Mar-a-Lago in April 2021 -- he brought up the American submarine fleet, which the two had discussed before, the sources told ABC News.

According to Pratt's account, as described by the sources, Pratt told Trump he believed Australia should start buying its submarines from the United States, to which an excited Trump -- "leaning" toward Pratt as if to be discreet -- then told Pratt two pieces of information about U.S. submarines: the supposed exact number of nuclear warheads they routinely carry, and exactly how close they supposedly can get to a Russian submarine without being detected.

In emails and conversations after meeting with Trump, Pratt described Trump's remarks to at least 45 others, including six journalists, 11 of his company's employees, 10 Australian officials, and three former Australian prime ministers, the sources told ABC News.

While Pratt told investigators he couldn’t tell if what Trump said about U.S. submarines was real or just bluster, investigators nevertheless asked Pratt not to repeat the numbers that Trump allegedly told him, suggesting the information could be too sensitive to relay further, ABC News was told.

It's unclear if the information was accurate, but the episode was investigated by Smith's team.

Sources said another witness, one of Trump's former employees at Mar-a-Lago, told investigators that, within minutes of Pratt's meeting with Trump, he heard Pratt relaying to someone else some of what Trump had just said.

According to the sources, the former Mar-a-Lago employee also told investigators he was "bothered" and "shocked" to hear that the former president had provided such seemingly sensitive information to a non-U.S. citizen.

Pratt told investigators Trump didn't show him any government documents during their April 2021 meeting, nor at any other time they crossed paths at Mar-a-Lago, sources said.

According to the sources, Pratt insisted to investigators that he told others about his meeting with Trump to show them how he was advocating for Australia with the United States. Some of the Australian officials that sources said he told were, as reflected in news reports at the time, involved in then-ongoing negotiations with the Biden administration over a deal for Australia to purchase a number of nuclear-powered attack submarines from the United States.

The deal was ultimately secured earlier this year, with Australia agreeing to purchase at least three Virginia-class nuclear-powered submarines, though President Joe Biden has said that none of the submarines sold to Australia will be armed with nuclear weapons.

Special counsel Smith did not include any information about Trump's alleged April 2021 conversation with Pratt in his June indictment against Trump, which charged the former president with 40 counts of unlawful retention of national defense information and obstruction-related offenses.

Last year, while needling the Biden administration for what he said was a weak response to Russia's war on Ukraine, Trump said that if he were still president, he would make sure Russia understood that the United States is "a greater nuclear power" with "the greatest submarines in the world."

"[They are] the most powerful machines ever built, and nobody knows where they are," Trump said on the Fox Business network.

Shortly after Trump became president in 2017, Pratt joined Mar-a-Lago as a member and publicly pledged to invest another $2 billion in American manufacturing jobs.

Over the next few years, Pratt visited Mar-a-Lago about 10 times, interacting with Trump on several occasions, once even having dinner with Trump and a U.S. senator at another Trump-owned property nearby, Pratt told investigators, according to sources. Pratt also visited the White House in 2018, when Trump was meeting with Australia's then-prime minister, according to online records.

In 2019, speaking at the opening of a Pratt Industries plant in Wapakoneta, Ohio, Trump called Pratt a "friend" and praised him for funding the plant.

"We're here to celebrate a great opening and a great gentleman," Trump said. "Anthony is one of the most successful men in the world -- perhaps Australia's most successful man."

Standing beside Trump, Pratt then said he "would not have invested in this plant if it wasn't for President Trump's election, [which] has given us an incredible faith in investing in America."

But in recent months, according to sources, Pratt told investigators that he now supports the current U.S. government, describing himself as someone who tends to just "side with the king."

Representatives for Pratt did not respond to messages seeking comment from ABC News.

A spokesperson for Trump did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yeah, I agree with that. Didn't Teddy Kennedy a long time ago get into a car accident while drunk and his wife ended up dying? Maybe I'm mistaken on the details or the whole story.

A quick and lazy recap via Wiki because my time is short...

Chappaquiddick Incident:

he Chappaquiddick incident occurred on the island in Massachusetts of the same name some time around midnight between July 18 and 19, 1969,[5][6] when Senator Edward M. "Ted" Kennedy negligently drove his car off a narrow bridge, causing it to overturn in a tidal pond. This resulted in the drowning death of his 28-year-old passenger Mary Jo Kopechne, who was trapped inside the vehicle.[7][8][9][10]

Kennedy left a party on Chappaquiddick at 11:15 p.m. Friday. He maintained that his intent was to immediately take Kopechne to a ferry landing and return to Edgartown, but that he accidentally made a wrong turn onto a dirt road leading to a one-lane bridge. After his car skidded off the bridge into Poucha Pond, Kennedy swam free, and maintained that he tried to rescue Kopechne from the submerged car, but that he could not. Kopechne's death could have happened any time between about 11:30 p.m. Friday and 1 a.m. Saturday, as an off-duty deputy sheriff stated he saw a car matching Kennedy's license plate at 12:40 a.m. Kennedy left the scene and did not report the accident to police until after 10 a.m. Saturday. Meanwhile, a diver recovered Kopechne's body from Kennedy's car shortly before 9 a.m. Saturday.

At a July 25, 1969, court hearing, Kennedy pled guilty to a charge of leaving the scene of an accident, and received a two-month suspended jail sentence. In a televised statement that same evening, he said his conduct immediately after the accident "made no sense to me at all", and that he regarded his failure to report the accident immediately as "indefensible". A January 5, 1970, judicial inquest concluded that Kennedy and Kopechne did not intend to take the ferry, and that Kennedy intentionally turned toward the bridge, operating his vehicle negligently, if not recklessly, at too high a speed for the hazard which the bridge posed in the dark. The judge stopped short of recommending charges, and a grand jury convened on April 6, 1970, returning no indictments. On May 27, 1970, a Registry of Motor Vehicles hearing resulted in Kennedy's driver's license being suspended for a total of sixteen months after the accident.

Cont. in the link...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chappaquiddick_incident

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

But, but..racism.

Agreed 100%

The only thing I see a difference in is that I have not seen people being as critical with Joe Biden over the border wall as they were with Trump. I mean, don't you remember what some of you guys said about Trump and the border wall? Your response here is nothing close to what was said about Trump.

You're not the only one who noticed. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Calamity K said:

You're not the only one who noticed. 

Welcome back.

This is still not right at all.  But while I can say that, i can also chuckle knowing that while EXACTLY what the GOP and people like yourself said was crucial critical and important to happen that would be cancelled is still happening.  But is now "crickets"

• Upvote 1

Chappaquiddick.  His then-rumoured mistress drowned after he drove off a bridge.  People believed that he should have faced harsher charges than he did and thought he was a coward for not doing more to try and save her.

It cost him a good chance at running for and winning the presidency.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Welcome back.

This is still not right at all.  But while I can say that, i can also chuckle knowing that while EXACTLY what the GOP and people like yourself said was crucial critical and important to happen that would be cancelled is still happening.  But is now "crickets"

I don't spend much time on US politics, but it is hard to not want to watch the circus. 

I feel I am left of Canadian Center which puts me in the locations occupied by folks like Jane Fonda, Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, or well, just a step to the right of them, generally. 

I had to say that first so this part makes some kind of sense.

I agree that Black Lives Matter, but I hated hearing Defund the Police as a slogan or chant in BLM marches...it is absurd to defund the police or we will all live in an anarchist state where property rights and even lives are at risk. it was the left being DUMB. 

Good fences make good neighbours: not building a border wall for me, seems just dumb. I hated the fight to stop a border wall along the US southern border. The territorial integrity of the soveriegn nation of the USA was and is under threat from illegal crossings now numbering hundreds of thousands a month in some months????

Some things are just fairly good ideas and become political footballs. The fight is between the teams, the ball is almost irrelevant these days. "YOu say hello, i say goodbye, because you and I don't see eye to eye, you are wrong and I am right and the best solution is for us to fight." is something i just dont agree with. I try to take each issue on its own merrits and make informed decisions on everything. That being said, I hated that Trumps directive caused children to be ripped from families with no hope of ever being reunitied with them. That was a policy made in the spirit of meanness that a certain group, the right wing in america, thought would help deter families from illegal entry: it was barbaric and still is. 

I would build that wall, coast to coast to coast with regular crossings that are controlled by US officials on one side and Mexican officials on the other. That makes for good neighbours. Then I would increase aid to south america and try to work with mexico to reduce corruption and gang activity so close to the nation of the USA. I still think I am left wing, but I have always thought the wall was a good idea. The technical fence around ISrael is a wonder to behold how it works: the fence, if touched, tells monitors in a control room exactly where that happened, and the authorities can respond with dispatched security to that exact location within moments. I don't see a problem with protecting your borders, I don't see it as right or left in that it is simply nationalistic. I know some small portion of the left is against nationalism, and I know the things behind that and even agree with some, but if you have a nation you need to preserve its territorial integrity.  Long winded way to say it all i guess, but thanks for reading. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

I don't spend much time on US politics, but it is hard to not want to watch the circus. 

I feel I am left of Canadian Center which puts me in the locations occupied by folks like Jane Fonda, Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, or well, just a step to the right of them, generally. 

I agree that Black Lives Matter, but I hated hearing Defund the Police as a slogan or chant in BLM marches...it is absurd to defund the police or we will all live in an anarchist state where property rights and even lives are at risk. it was the left being DUMB. 

Good fences make good neighbours: not building a border wall for me, seems just dumb. I hated the fight to stop a border wall along the US southern border. The territorial integrity of the soveriegn nation of the USA was and is under threat from illegal crossings now numbering hundreds of thousands a month in some months????

Some things are just fairly good ideas and become political footballs. The fight is between the teams, the ball is almost irrelevant these days. "YOu say hello, i say goodbye, because you and I don't see eye to eye, you are wrong and I am right and the best solution is for us to fight." is something i just dont agree with. I try to take each issue on its own merrits and make informed decisions on everything. That being said, I hated that Trumps directive caused children to be ripped from families with no hope of ever being reunitied with them. That was a policy made in the spirit of meanness that a certain group, the right wing in america, thought would help deter families from illegal entry: it was barbaric and still is. 

I would build that wall, coast to coast to coast with regular crossings that are controlled by US officials on one side and Mexican officials on the other. That makes for good neighbours. Then I would increase aid to south america and try to work with mexico to reduce corruption and gang activity so close to the nation of the USA. I still think I am left wing, but I have always thought the wall was a good idea. The technical fence around ISrael is a wonder to behold how it works: the fence, if touched, tells monitors in a control room exactly where that happened, and the authorities can respond with dispatched security to that exact location within moments. I don't see a problem with protecting your borders, I don't see it as right or left in that it is simply nationalistic. I know some small portion of the left is against nationalism, and I know the things behind that and even agree with some, but if you have a nation you need to preserve its territorial integrity.  Long winded way to say it all i guess, but thanks for reading. 

Not sure Israel is the best example on how to build positive relationships with neighbouring nations........

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, moosehead said:

Not sure Israel is the best example on how to build positive relationships with neighbouring nations........

You would think so, yeah. I am not a complete expert at all, but I had some mastery of the Syrian situation while I was in theater for around 2.5 years of total time in country over my career, but actually the evidence over time proves otherwise. 

Israel has regular normal relations with Jordan and Egypt, some small alliances with the UAE and other arab nations, eventually a Free Syrian People are most likely to have regular peaceful relations with Israel as well, once the civil war removes the dictator who is a puppet of Iran, and at the same time the puppet master of Lebannon. My point though is that Israel has good relations with countries that once tried to destroy it as a nation and wipe it off the earth. Unfortunately that took wartime victories to mostly achieve, but the Fence, it is even called the Good Fence, is a great technological achievement, because at the end of the day: gun runners and drug traffickers and human trafficking are the only things I can think of that bennefit from not having a good fence between nations. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Despite the way it was/is portrayed in the media, I don't think many want the police defended.  However, the police in the US are funded and armed like a standing army and the weight of that comes down, disproportionately, on people of colour.  So, I understand where the sentiment comes from.

I think most people who advocate for defending the police department are doing so in more of a reallocation of funds.  I think people are sick of the heavy hand of the law coming down in all situations and would like to see mental health professionals and trained negotiators come in, with law enforcement, to deal with a lot of situations 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Despite the way it was/is portrayed in the media, I don't think many want the police defended.  However, the police in the US are funded and armed like a standing army and the weight of that comes down, disproportionately, on people of colour.  So, I understand where the sentiment comes from.

I think most people who advocate for defending the police department are doing so in more of a reallocation of funds.  I think people are sick of the heavy hand of the law coming down in all situations and would like to see mental health professionals and trained negotiators come in, with law enforcement, to deal with a lot of situations 

Completely agree. The concept as intended is a decent one. The slogan as yelled out was dumb. Defund the Police is a dumb idea: reallocate some dollars going towards armoured personnel carriers to crisis managers and mental health professionals is a fantastic idea. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

You would think so, yeah. I am not a complete expert at all, but I had some mastery of the Syrian situation while I was in theater for around 2.5 years of total time in country over my career, but actually the evidence over time proves otherwise. 

Israel has regular normal relations with Jordan and Egypt, some small alliances with the UAE and other arab nations, eventually a Free Syrian People are most likely to have regular peaceful relations with Israel as well, once the civil war removes the dictator who is a puppet of Iran, and at the same time the puppet master of Lebannon. My point though is that Israel has good relations with countries that once tried to destroy it as a nation and wipe it off the earth. Unfortunately that took wartime victories to mostly achieve, but the Fence, it is even called the Good Fence, is a great technological achievement, because at the end of the day: gun runners and drug traffickers and human trafficking are the only things I can think of that bennefit from not having a good fence between nations. 

very informative. thanks. 

4 minutes ago, moosehead said:

very informative. thanks. 

I kind of want to make clear i am neither for nor against Israel as a nation. I kind of wish it wasn't created in the immediate aftermath of ww2, much like the reparations levied on the Germans after ww1, the creation of the state of Israel led to an even bigger can of worms over time: but I digress: israel exists and by this time many generations later, it can't be undone, so my interest is only insomuch as I want the most people in the region to live long peaceful lives and get some education and work towards advancing humanity as a whole. I have no particular interest in Israel itself. 

My personal experience was that the arabs in Syria were an incredibly kindhearted people with an amazing culture that certainly is different from the one i was raised up in. My experience in Israel was much more 'normal' and westernized, with one exception: the historical sites are incredible and ancient, I sat in a roman amphitheater and watched a play in 2001 in an ancient town that apparently existed back when what we call the bible was writen, Magdala has a nice spa and a cool roman fixture that has been used consecutively for 2000 years!!!!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

5 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

You should watch the full video...he wasn't calling neo nazis good people (by the way, his son in law is Jewish, and is his granchild, he moved the US embassy to Jerusalem and did more for Israel than any president in 50 years with the Abraham accords. This would not suggest a nazi).

Are you aware Biden is building the wall now? Announced today. Wasn't Trump a "racist" for wanting it? Start asking WHY did they label him certain things? Maybe they want you to hate him champ.

I'll give you a hint as to why. Example, Diane Feinstein, who just passed at 90 years old, had a net worth close to 100 mil dollars

She's been in office her whole career....150k-200k per year, her whole life...do the math, you don't get that rich from "investments" on that salary.

maybe start to think a bit about how the system of taxpayer grift works, and why someone who said he was going to end it, ends up being attacked, by the system.

Edited by BlockerHigh
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

I kind of want to make clear i am neither for nor against Israel as a nation. I kind of wish it wasn't created in the immediate aftermath of ww2, much like the reparations levied on the Germans after ww1, the creation of the state of Israel led to an even bigger can of worms over time: but I digress: israel exists and by this time many generations later, it can't be undone, so my interest is only insomuch as I want the most people in the region to live long peaceful lives and get some education and work towards advancing humanity as a whole. I have no particular interest in Israel itself. 

My personal experience was that the arabs in Syria were an incredibly kindhearted people with an amazing culture that certainly is different from the one i was raised up in. My experience in Israel was much more 'normal' and westernized, with one exception: the historical sites are incredible and ancient, I sat in a roman amphitheater and watched a play in 2001 in an ancient town that apparently existed back when what we call the bible was writen, Magdala has a nice spa and a cool roman fixture that has been used consecutively for 2000 years!!!!

Have you ever read "Exodus" by Leon Uris, or watched the movie with Paul Newman?  The book, especially, gives some good insight into the events leading up to the formation of Israel.

Edited by stawns

Weekly Justice Recap: Kevin McCarthy fired - first Speaker in history to be voted out.

Trump gets slapped with a gag order in NY. Judge freezes his assets. Forbes drops him from the wealthy list. His financial empire is being systematically exposed for what it is - a sham.

RICO defendants are flipping in Fulton County.

More bombshells in the classified docs case.

Rudy Giuliani and Mike Lindell are too broke to afford lawyers.

George Santos co-conspirator flips and takes a plea deal.

Trump files desperate motion to dismiss DC charges, and an equally desperate motion to delay his trial in the docs case.

Grand juries are still at work - more coming. It’s only Thursday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Have you ever read "Exodus" by Leon Uris, or watched the movie with Paul Newman?  The book, especially, gives some good insight into the events leading up to the formation of Israel.

I have not but I will look into it. 

1 hour ago, BlockerHigh said:

You should watch the full video...he wasn't calling neo nazis good people (by the way, his son in law is Jewish, and is his granchild, he moved the US embassy to Jerusalem and did more for Israel than any president in 50 years with the Abraham accords. This would not suggest a nazi).

Are you aware Biden is building the wall now? Announced today. Wasn't Trump a "racist" for wanting it? Start asking WHY did they label him certain things? Maybe they want you to hate him champ.

I'll give you a hint as to why. Example, Diane Feinstein, who just passed at 90 years old, had a net worth close to 100 mil dollars

She's been in office her whole career....150k-200k per year, her whole life...do the math, you don't get that rich from "investments" on that salary.

maybe start to think a bit about how the system of taxpayer grift works, and why someone who said he was going to end it, ends up being attacked, by the system.

Late to the party I see.   In no way I was saying TRUMP was a racist.  I also pointed out to Strome or someone else if you go back that Biden was also wrong for the wall.  My response with his 2016 campaign speech was why there is more criticism of TRUMP than Biden.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Welcome back.

I must have not been paying attention. I actually don't recall many people saying that. I actually thought people kind of forgot about it like shortly after it was elected because he didn't even put up a whole lot did he?

2 hours ago, BlockerHigh said:

Trump is no Nazi.   Racist possibly.  Narcissist undoubtedly.

Biden does not like border walls and does not think they work.  Go find what he just said about it.   He just wanted to spend some money that had a wall tied to the funding he wanted.  "the work was a legal requirement stemming from appropriations during the Trump administration."  (NYT}

Fienstein married well and was bequeathed millions.  

Trump says many things.  Not all have been proven true.

• Cheers 1