US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

32 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I'm curious if they'll throw him into a Club Fed minimum security prison like they would have initially, or if they'll now toss him into a medium security prison out of spite.

Short sentence.  Non violent.  I think this is his first prison sentence that stuck.  Definitely going to a minimum or a camp low.  Not enough points to justify going to a higher security prison.  If TRUMP ever gets prison time, he'd be in the same boat.  

(based on watching videos of Larry Lawton.  Ex con who was at one time America's biggest jewel thief.  Spent almost 12 years in Federal Pens)

• chaos 1

13 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Short sentence.  Non violent.  I think this is his first prison sentence that stuck.  Definitely going to a minimum or a camp low.  Not enough points to justify going to a higher security prison.  If TRUMP ever gets prison time, he'd be in the same boat.  

(based on watching videos of Larry Lawton.  Ex con who was at one time America's biggest jewel thief.  Spent almost 12 years in Federal Pens)

I give minimum security/Club Fed better odds like you said, but I have read articles in the past where people fight sentences and get tossed into medium security.  Same thing with traffic tickets.  They'll often nail you with max fines and court fees if you take it to trial rather than accept the initial reduction.  I only know that because from age 16-22, I was a menace on the road and once nearly accrued enough points to get my licence suspended. 

Here's a little story from my old visiting Canada days...  In the early 90's, I got pulled over on the QEW while heading to a club for going over 185 kph back when the limit was 90-100.  I thought I was screwed, but I started dropping names and the OPP writing the ticket lowered it to 135 and after I got to court, the crown prosecutor further lowered it.  Now this is where I'm still confused, she said something along the lines of "2 points on your Ontario license" even though she was basing my plea to match NY driving guidelines knowing full well my license was NY/USA based.  To this day, I still wonder if I technically have an expired file based Ontario license that they opened in my name.  Anyways, all I ended up with was 2 Canadian license points, that they never reported to NY, and a $100 CDN fine which I paid.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Here's a cheery thought for everyone. The Heritage Foundation's plan for a hypothetical 2nd Trump term, calls for the swift execution of everyone on Death Row:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/conservative-plan-calls-for-trump-to-kill-everyone-on-federal-death-row-in-second-term/ar-BB1m80Br?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=144537a384f84745ab05c90d92b5017b&ei=103

Now, I'm guessing that there are some folks here from both sides of the political spectrum who would applaud such a policy. I would not be among them.

Something I see and hear a lot is "I support Capital punishment, but only for really bad things"..... I get the sentiment, but mankind has showed us time and again that it cannot be trusted with the power of life or death.

The West Memphis Three allegedly "did something really bad"......except that they didn't actually do it.....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: A civilized society does not condone government sanctioned judicial killings. I for one, am glad I live in a civilized society....

Too many times has someone on death row been exonerated due to faulty evidence, new evidence, tampering, forced confessions etc. Bite mark evidence has essentially been ruled hokum at best yet for many it was the evidence and testimony that was key to getting the conviction. Killing an innocent person is basically the biggest miscarriage of justice I can think of. It happens far too often for me to ever be okay with the death penalty. 

Edited by JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Here's a cheery thought for everyone. The Heritage Foundation's plan for a hypothetical 2nd Trump term, calls for the swift execution of everyone on Death Row:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/conservative-plan-calls-for-trump-to-kill-everyone-on-federal-death-row-in-second-term/ar-BB1m80Br?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=144537a384f84745ab05c90d92b5017b&ei=103

Now, I'm guessing that there are some folks here from both sides of the political spectrum who would applaud such a policy. I would not be among them.

Something I see and hear a lot is "I support Capital punishment, but only for really bad things"..... I get the sentiment, but mankind has showed us time and again that it cannot be trusted with the power of life or death.

The West Memphis Three allegedly "did something really bad"......except that they didn't actually do it.....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: A civilized society does not condone government sanctioned judicial killings. I for one, am glad I live in a civilized society....

I guess Trump learned nothing after placing a full page ads in four newspapers - at a personal cost of 85 grand -  calling for the execution of the now exonerated Central Park 5. 

This is nothing but pandering for votes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, it's the whole "tough on crime" shtick. Of course that doesn't apply to assaulting police officers at the Capitol, or any other crimes committed by, or in support of Donald Trump....

Kind of like, "it's a crime if you don't follow our dogma, but it's a remarkable act of patriotism if you do".  :classic_ninja:

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Marjorie Taylor Greene Loses It on Fox News, Bizarrely Claims They Want to ‘Murder Tucker Carlson’

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-loses-it-on-fox-news-bizarrely-claims-they-want-to-murder-tucker-carlson/

Gotta admit....

If Faux News murdered Tucker Carlson live, on air, I'd tune in...

image.thumb.gif.ccd54fecf5eecbc0fd1ca460280e9776.gif

• Haha 1

Appeals court upholds Steve Bannon's contempt conviction for defying Jan. 6 committee

WASHINGTON – A federal appeals court upheld on Friday the contempt conviction of Steve Bannon, the political strategist and former White House aide to Donald Trump, for defying a subpoena about the Capitol attack on Jan. 6, 2021.

A three-judge panel of the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals − Judges Cornelia Pillard, Justin Walker and Bradley Garcia – ruled that Bannon's arguments had no merit. The decision clears the way for Bannon to serve a four-month prison sentence but Bannon's lawyer David Schoen told USA TODAY they will ask the full D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals to review the decision.

"There are many fundamentally important constitutional issues at stake in this case," Schoen said in a statement. "Today’s decision is wrong as a matter of law and it reflects a very dangerous view of the threshold for criminal liability for any defendant in our country and for future political abuses of the congressional hearing process."

Bannon was one of two people convicted, along with former White House aide Peter Navarro, for defying congressional subpoenas for the Jan. 6 inquiry.

Bannon's case had raised the prospect of setting new rules governing the assertion of executive privilege, but the appeals panel found no reason to depart from previous rulings in the D.C. Circuit and at the Supreme Court that bar "willfully" defying a congressional subpoena.

"As both this court and the Supreme Court have repeatedly explained, a contrary rule would contravene the text of the contempt statute and hamstring Congress’s investigatory authority," Garcia wrote for court.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/appeals-court-upholds-steve-bannons-155806636.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

'On day one': Trump vows to end protections for LGBTQ students

https://www.rawstory.com/on-day-one-trump-vows-to-end-protections-for-lgbtq-students-2668214250/

The Supreme Court has already ruled on this issue, including all 3 of the justices that he nominated.  As soon as he writes any executive order to the contrary of those rulings, it will be made null and void by the judiciary.

He's pandering for votes.

Barron Trump declines to serve as an RNC delegate

CNN — 

Former President Donald Trump’s youngest son, Barron Trump, has declined to serve as a delegate at this summer’s Republican National Convention, according to a senior Trump campaign adviser and a statement from Melania Trump’s office.

“While Barron is honored to have been chosen as a delegate by the Florida Republican Party, he regretfully declines due to prior commitments,” the statement from the former first lady’s office said.

Barron Trump, who turned 18 in March, had been selected by the Florida GOP to serve as an at-large delegate at the July convention. Several other Trump family members – including Donald Trump Jr., Eric Trump and Tiffany Trump – were also selected as delegates.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/10/politics/barron-trump-declines-rnc-delegate/index.html

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

Barron Trump declines to serve as an RNC delegate

CNN — 

Former President Donald Trump’s youngest son, Barron Trump, has declined to serve as a delegate at this summer’s Republican National Convention, according to a senior Trump campaign adviser and a statement from Melania Trump’s office.

“While Barron is honored to have been chosen as a delegate by the Florida Republican Party, he regretfully declines due to prior commitments,” the statement from the former first lady’s office said.

Barron Trump, who turned 18 in March, had been selected by the Florida GOP to serve as an at-large delegate at the July convention. Several other Trump family members – including Donald Trump Jr., Eric Trump and Tiffany Trump – were also selected as delegates.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/10/politics/barron-trump-declines-rnc-delegate/index.html

Melania likely wants to keep her kid away from becoming a public target.

@Warhippycalled it yesterday...

22 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Kids are off limits

Political figures aren't.

Hope the kid has some seriously thick skin because he's gonna need it

3 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Trump Goes on 10-Minute Post-Trial Rant On Everything From Gag Orders to Biden Lying About His ‘Golf Game’

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-goes-on-10-minute-post-trial-rant-on-everything-from-gag-orders-to-biden-lying-about-his-golf-game/

Yeah, because Shanky Von Trumpledump is the guy to call out Biden's golf game 'lies'.

Imagine golfing like this after spending 25% of your time in office doing  it. : r/golftips

6 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I don't even care if they're guilty of the most heinous shit. The death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent and isn't even cost effective. The due process involved and housing them costs way more than just giving them life no parole...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Gotta admit....

If Faux News murdered Tucker Carlson live, on air, I'd tune in...

image.thumb.gif.ccd54fecf5eecbc0fd1ca460280e9776.gif

Tucker was on Joe Rogan and honestly when not pandering to the mob he was tolerable. Still said some stupid religious nonsense but on topics like the UFO situation was rather measured and worth listening to. I liked that he said he lives in the sticks without a computer, tv or email. It really mostly is just an act/grift/whatever. That said...still a scumbag. 

4 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Melania likely wants to keep her kid away from becoming a public target.

@Warhippycalled it yesterday...

He'll be fine as long as he doesn't start spewing bullshit.   Tiffany mostly gets left alone, while the other three deserve everything they have coming.

• Cheers 1