US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

On 5/10/2024 at 8:59 PM, Gnarcore said:

I don't even care if they're guilty of the most heinous shit. The death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent and isn't even cost effective. The due process involved and housing them costs way more than just giving them life no parole...

Death penalty was never meant to be a deterrent, it is more like revenge for the crime committed.

One thing is certain, when applied properly recidivism rate for those convicted is 0%

The problem is that it takes too long, needs to be expedited which in return would reduce cost.

38 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Death penalty was never meant to be a deterrent, it is more like revenge for the crime committed.

One thing is certain, when applied properly recidivism rate for those convicted is 0%

The problem is that it takes too long, needs to be expedited which in return would reduce cost.

One thing is certain, if there are no executions there is a 0% chance of a wrongful  execution.

• Thanks 1

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/09/trump-oil-ceo-donation

Trump promised to scrap climate laws if US oil bosses donated $1bn – report

Trump promised to 20 executives at Mar-a-Lago dinner to increase oil drilling and reverse pollution rules among other pitches

Donald Trump dangled a brazen “deal” in front of some of the top US oil bosses last month, proposing that they give him $1bn for his White House re-election campaign and vowing that once back in office he would instantly tear up Joe Biden’s environmental regulations and prevent any new ones, according to a bombshell new report.

According to the Washington Post, the former US president made his jaw-dropping pitch, which the paper described as “remarkably blunt and transactional”, at a dinner at his Mar-a-Lago home and club.

In front of more than 20 executives, including from Chevron, Exxon and Occidental Petroleum, he promised to increase oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, remove hurdles to drilling in the Alaskan Arctic, and reverse new rules designed to cut car pollution. He would also overturn the Biden administration’s decision in January to pause new natural gas export permits which have been denounced as “climate bombs”.

“You’ll get it on the first day,” Trump said, according to the Post, citing an unnamed dinner attendee.

Absolute unconscionable behaviour.   

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

One thing is certain, if there are no executions there is a 0% chance of a wrongful  execution.

The only thing that is certain in life, is the fact we are all going to die sooner or later.

Edited by CBH1926

On the more positive news, Trump might be on the hook for 100m in taxes on his Chicago hotel.

We have plenty of our own tax cheats, we definitely don’t need any jagoffs from NY trying to do the same thing.

https://abc7chicago.com/post/donald-trump-chicago-report-says-ex-pres-may-face-100m-tax-bill-if-he-loses-international-hotel-and-tower-irs-audit-fight/14800078/

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

On the more positive news, Trump might be on the hook for 100m in taxes on his Chicago hotel.

We have plenty of our own tax cheats, we definitely don’t need any jagoffs from NY trying to do the same thing.

https://abc7chicago.com/post/donald-trump-chicago-report-says-ex-pres-may-face-100m-tax-bill-if-he-loses-international-hotel-and-tower-irs-audit-fight/14800078/

If he wins the election, that IRS audit will "magically" go away. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 11/21/2023 at 4:10 PM, The Arrogant Worms said:

MSNBC Host Cracks Up Studio Roasting Trump For Bragging ‘Hannibal Lecter’ Loves Trump

https://www.mediaite.com/entertainment/msnbc-host-cracks-up-studio-roasting-trump-for-bragging-hannibal-lecter-loves-trump/

ALI VELSHI: Then there was this at a rally in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, this month.

DONALD TRUMP: Has anybody seen Silence of the Lambs? Hannibal Lecter. How great an actor was he? You know why I like him? Because he said on television on an — one of the — “I love Donald Trump!”.

So I love him! I love him!

ALI VELSHI: Hannibal Lecter said that.

It does seem that Trump got mixed up about the actor who played the cannibal in the 1991 film. But who really knows? Because Anthony Hopkins never actually publicly supported Trump.

Neither did Mads Mikkelsen or Brian Cox, the other actors who portrayed Hannibal Lecter in the past.

In fact, Cox is on record calling Donald Trump a, quote, “effing a-hole and, quote, “so full of” rhymes with spit.

He just made the same speech yesterday and it's trending on Twitter/X again...  This time he said "late, great".  All 3 actors who played the character are still alive.

Edited by Sabrefan1

On 5/10/2024 at 11:09 AM, Sabrefan1 said:

I give minimum security/Club Fed better odds like you said, but I have read articles in the past where people fight sentences and get tossed into medium security.  Same thing with traffic tickets.  They'll often nail you with max fines and court fees if you take it to trial rather than accept the initial reduction.  I only know that because from age 16-22, I was a menace on the road and once nearly accrued enough points to get my licence suspended. 

Here's a little story from my old visiting Canada days...  In the early 90's, I got pulled over on the QEW while heading to a club for going over 185 kph back when the limit was 90-100.  I thought I was screwed, but I started dropping names and the OPP writing the ticket lowered it to 135 and after I got to court, the crown prosecutor further lowered it.  Now this is where I'm still confused, she said something along the lines of "2 points on your Ontario license" even though she was basing my plea to match NY driving guidelines knowing full well my license was NY/USA based.  To this day, I still wonder if I technically have an expired file based Ontario license that they opened in my name.  Anyways, all I ended up with was 2 Canadian license points, that they never reported to NY, and a $100 CDN fine which I paid.

Damn those soft on crime Canadians.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He just made the same speech yesterday and it's trending on Twitter/X again...  This time he said "late, great".  All 3 actors who played the character are still alive.

Such a weird flex, bragging about which actor supposedly loves you...:classic_rolleyes:

Right now, I'm guessing that James Woods and John Voight are feeling a bit like the ugly girl at the Prom....😪

• ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Such a weird flex, bragging about which actor supposedly loves you...:classic_rolleyes:

Right now, I'm guessing that James Woods and John Voight are feeling a bit like the ugly girl at the Prom....😪

He loves having his ass kissed.  Even when he has to make it up apparently... lol

Fortunately for him, Sir Anthony Hopkins is ignoring the entire situation.

On 5/10/2024 at 2:07 PM, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, it's the whole "tough on crime" shtick. Of course that doesn't apply to assaulting police officers at the Capitol, or any other crimes committed by, or in support of Donald Trump....

Guess when the NRA supported gun control legislation (led by the governor of the state of California - Ronnie Ray-gun)?   When the law was enacted because people of a certain skin pigmentation starting arming themselves.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Us Canucks pretend to be all nice and polite, but the truth is, we fight dirty....

Maybe some of our players should learn how to do that along the boards and in the corners.

(Accidentally on purpose, of course :classic_ninja: )

32 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I love Shatner!  No matter what Sulu says about him. 

I like them both and don't need to get between the them.

I actually met Shatner briefly a few years ago, he was doing a talk at UBC Chan Centre and did a quick fan greet. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I like them both and don't need to get between the them.

Same.

I actually met Shatner briefly a few years ago, he was doing a talk at UBC Chan Centre and did a quick fan greet. 

Unfortunately I've never had the pleasure.

26 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Same.

Unfortunately I've never had the pleasure.

His talk was great, he's as engaging as you'd think. 

Only got to say hello pretty much but was fun to meet him.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Only one "Boss" in NJ....and it ain't you fat boy....

Springsteen and Bon Jovi should do a fundraising concert for Brandon and show Bone Spurs what a real NJ crowd looks like....

• ThereItIs 3