US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

30 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Hey, MAGA. More evidence that your conspiracy theories are mostly built on a foundation of bullshit. Great mounds of it spilling over everywhere. I can remember the election deniers on this site advocating the use of 2000 Mules as documentary proof of the Democrats playing fast and loose with the ballot boxes. Turns out spewing slanderous lies costs a lot of money. 

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/31/g-s1-2298/publisher-of-2000-mules-election-conspiracy-theory-film-issues-apology

Publisher of ‘2,000 Mules’ election conspiracy theory film issues apology

Excerpt: 

"The conservative media company behind the book and film “2,000 Mules,” which alleged a widespread conspiracy by Democrats to steal the 2020 election and was embraced by former president Donald Trump, has issued an apology and said it would halt distribution of the film and remove both the film and book from its platforms.

In a statement posted to their website, Salem Media Group, Inc. apologized specifically to Mark Andrews, a voter from Georgia falsely depicted illegally voting in “2,000 Mules.”

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation cleared Andrews of wrongdoing, and found he was legally dropping off ballots for members of his family. Andrews filed a defamation lawsuit against Salem, as well as the team behind the movie: right wing commentator Dinesh D’Souza, and the group True the Vote."

(Article continues for those interested)

....and winning, winning, winning.....

When (if) the MAGA crowd gets forced to wake up, I can only imagine the feelings some of them will be going through. Imagine realising the echo chamber you've been in is the actual problem of the country rather than everyone and everything else you've been told to blame.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

When (if) the MAGA crowd gets forced to wake up, I can only imagine the feelings some of them will be going through. Imagine realising the echo chamber you've been in is the actual problem of the country rather than everyone and everything else you've been told to blame.

The MAGA crowd will NEVER wake up and accept they were wrong. Ever. To do that would require thoughtful consideration and an acknowledgement they were conned by the most notorious con man in the history of the US. Remember, this is a group that thinks Trump is on an equal footing with Jesus, that they'd rather be Russian than Democrat and that Hunter Biden is the epitome of evil. I'm afraid you can't fix stupid. The best you can do is ignore them and hope they go away.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

The MAGA crowd will NEVER wake up and accept they were wrong. Ever. To do that would require thoughtful consideration and an acknowledgement they were conned by the most notorious con man in the history of the US. Remember, this is a group that thinks Trump is on an equal footing with Jesus, that they'd rather be Russian than Democrat and that Hunter Biden is the epitome of evil. I'm afraid you can't fix stupid. The best you can do is ignore them and hope they go away.

If we're talking the full MAGA crowd, than sure: there will be some stragglers too naive to change their minds; too afraid to "ever be wrong."

However, we've already seen parts of the MAGA crowd gradually dissipate. There will continue to be people who wake up over time, just not everyone.

Edited by The Lock

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

That really needs to happen once Trump is in prison and the SCOTUS has been denazified.  Implement mandatory education to ensure that these pieces of shit are capable of acting like actual people before they're allowed to vote again.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Geez I hope these folks get some protection. Jury intimidation is horrible stuff.

Send Trump's SS detail to protect these people and let him fend for himself in Rikers.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t this another crime by His Orangeness? 

No.  A client can't order a lawyer to break the law.  If it got out because of his lawyers, that's on them.  They get to go to have their own criminal record and lose their bar card.

However, there's no point in the lawyers releasing the names.  These cases will never see a jury again.  It's all appellate judges here on out. 

My guess is that it's likely the jurors and/or friends blabbed about being on the jury.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Every single one of the jurors should be 100% speaking to lawyers right now about that. Because if a former US president is releasing their personal information after it was supposed to be deemed completely and 100% discreet, then they deserve the compensation that they would be entitled to

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t this another crime by His Orangeness? 

If he's proven to be instigating it, absolutely it would be another crime.

On top of that, this will all likely be considered when the judge does his sentencing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

If he's proven to be instigating it, absolutely it would be another crime.

On top of that, this will all likely be considered when the judge does his sentencing.

Orange jumpsuit for the Orange one. 

America is so divided these days, I don’t see it ever repairing itself. The split is too deep. And while most of us in Canada are aligned with the blue, and see all the warts of the red, both sides are playing a game that doesn’t allow for a return to a united front.
The USA’s devolution from being the world’s mightiest power is inevitable with China’s consistent growth in population and economy, but the divide from within with only expedite the process in the States.
As Canadians, it feels easy enough to laugh off, but we’re the capybara on the crocodile - the US and its nuclear arsenal has been protecting us for years, even we don’t want to admit it. If they fall apart from within, they’ll then easily be tag-teamed by Russia and China, potentially leaving Canada next on Russia’s invasion list.

• Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Slegr said:

America is so divided these days, I don’t see it ever repairing itself. The split is too deep. And while most of us in Canada are aligned with the blue, and see all the warts of the red, both sides are playing a game that doesn’t allow for a return to a united front.
The USA’s devolution from being the world’s mightiest power is inevitable with China’s consistent growth in population and economy, but the divide from within with only expedite the process in the States.
As Canadians, it feels easy enough to laugh off, but we’re the capybara on the crocodile - the US and its nuclear arsenal has been protecting us for years, even we don’t want to admit it. If they fall apart from within, they’ll then easily be tag-teamed by Russia and China, potentially leaving Canada next on Russia’s invasion list.

I agree with most of what you said, until you started talking about invasions. Ask yourself these questions:

1) What would Russia and China actually have to gain from an invasion of the US? Like sure, they would gain from the US being weak, but what would an actual invasion do?

2) If successful in an invasion, it takes 1 soldier per 20 citizens to occupy... in a country without guns. The USA has guns, so let's say 1 in 10 people given that. Where is Russia and China going to get 30-40 million soldiers to keep on US soil? For context, China alone doesn't even have 6% of that for it's entire military. They might be able to hold California... but that would be about it.

3) What does Russia and China gain from actually hitting us with nuclear weapons? Last I checked the US and Canada were also part of NATO, with other countries having nuclear weapons.

I get the fear, but for the scenario you seem adamant on implying to occur... let's just say a lot more than just a divide would have to happen. If anything, the divide would put the US in a weaker position which would mean no reason for an invasion to even occur. China wants economic power (and Taiwan). Russia wants former soviet lands. None of this even talks about the fact that NATO exists and an invasion against the US means an invasion against us and Europe.

I guess what I'm saying in the end is, wherever you get your ideas, know that it's fear-mongering. It wants you to worry. It wants you to fear. It's a form of control, control over people like you who would believe such things.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I get that is where they send terrorists, crime lords and prison gang leaders but that frankly is cruel and unusual punishment.  

One of my friends grandfather died at ADX.
Couldn’t have been pleasant being sent there when he was 80 years old.

He lasted 10 years before he died.

20 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I agree with most of what you said, until you started talking about invasions. Ask yourself these questions:

1) What would Russia and China actually have to gain from an invasion of the US? Like sure, they would gain from the US being weak, but what would an actual invasion do?

2) If successful in an invasion, it takes 1 soldier per 20 citizens to occupy... in a country without guns. The USA has guns, so let's say 1 in 10 people given that. Where is Russia and China going to get 30-40 million soldiers to keep on US soil? For context, China alone doesn't even have 6% of that for it's entire military. They might be able to hold California... but that would be about it.

3) What does Russia and China gain from actually hitting us with nuclear weapons? Last I checked the US and Canada were also part of NATO, with other countries having nuclear weapons.

I get the fear, but for the scenario you seem adamant on implying to occur... let's just say a lot more than just a divide would have to happen. If anything, the divide would put the US in a weaker position which would mean no reason for an invasion to even occur. China wants economic power (and Taiwan). Russia wants former soviet lands. None of this even talks about the fact that NATO exists and an invasion against the US means an invasion against us and Europe.

I guess what I'm saying in the end is, wherever you get your ideas, know that it's fear-mongering. It wants you to worry. It wants you to fear. It's a form of control, control over people like you who would believe such things.

If Trump gets in, US might get out of NATO, or at least push it to the point where other NATO members won’t bother helping them out.

China could invade US without humans. … “bad dog!”
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/05/28/china/china-military-rifle-toting-robot-dogs-intl-hnk-ml

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Slegr said:

If Trump gets in, US might get out of NATO, or at least push it to the point where other NATO members won’t bother helping them out.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/05/28/china/china-military-rifle-toting-robot-dogs-intl-hnk-ml

They can't occupy the US with robots, at least not effectively. Humans are going to be smarter still than AI. I know that's hard to believe but AI can only go so far.

If Trump gets into power, no doubt troubles are to be had, but not the troubles you're thinking. Remember, Trump's pretty much aligned with Russia and China. Those 4 years would be the US being closer aligned with China and Russia. If a dictatorship in the US started to happen though to make it longer than 4 years, there's going to be a lot of civil unrest.

Remember, Trump has never won the popular vote, note even in 2016 and anyone who sees a dictatorship actually start will be every much against it, both from the Democrats and the Republicans. The military would also have to be on board with a dictatorship, which is highly unlikely.

And if robot dogs are really your fear, keep in mind the US has better technology than China and China's still trying to keep up.

Edited by The Lock

2 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Russia and China have zero ability to transport millions of troops to carry out an invasion on North America.

Not to mention that the invading army would be stopped immediately by using nuclear weapons.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Russia and China have zero ability to transport millions of troops to carry out an invasion on North America.

Not to mention that the invading army would be stopped immediately by using nuclear weapons.

I think Slegr's been watching too many doomsday Hollywood films.

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

One of my friends grandfather died at ADX.
Couldn’t have been pleasant being sent there when he was 80 years old.

He lasted 10 years before he died.

To be sent there at 80...wtf.