US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Posted (edited)

When you have the facts, pound the facts.  When you have the law, pound the law.  When you have neither, pound the table.

That is all this is.  Team TRUMP pounding the table, trying to find any excuse to delay and dismiss.

I really fail to see how any of this is disqualifying.  She isn't making any legal decisions like evidence admissibility like if she was the judge here.  She is a DA.  If it was an egregious error like failing to disclose evidence that could exonerate the defendants, then disqualification and dismissal of the case is required.  In this case, having a relationship with a lawyer that is then hired to prosecute the case is not an egregious error.  The only people making a big deal about it are the people pounding the table.  The people who don't have the facts or the law on their side.  Those people are Team TRUMP.

EDIT:  I believe that the whole reason they are going through this is that Team TRUMP will appeal.  Getting this out of the way will settle one line of defense and appeals that TRUMP will do.  They've already tried and failed to call out administrative "issues" in previous trials.  Like their continued attacks of the law clerk in the previous NY trial.  This will bring to an end this line of thinking that Team TRUMP would have brought up during trial.

Edited by the destroyer of worlds
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

When you have the facts, pound the facts.  When you have the law, pound the law.  When you have neither, pound the table.

That is all this is.  Team TRUMP pounding the table, trying to find any excuse to delay and dismiss.

I really fail to see how any of this is disqualifying.  She isn't making any legal decisions like evidence admissibility like if she was the judge here.  She is a DA.  If it was an egregious error like failing to disclose evidence that could exonerate the defendants, then disqualification and dismissal of the case is required.  In this case, having a relationship with a lawyer that is then hired to prosecute the case is not an egregious error.  The only people making a big deal about it are the people pounding the table.  The people who don't have the facts or the law on their side.  Those people are Team TRUMP.

EDIT:  I believe that the whole reason they are going through this is that Team TRUMP will appeal.  Getting this out of the way will settle one line of defense and appeals that TRUMP will do.  They've already tried and failed to call out administrative "issues" in previous trials.  Like their continued attacks of the law clerk in the previous NY trial.  This will bring to an end this line of thinking that Team TRUMP would have brought up during trial.

Seems to me that the play here would be for Willis to recuse herself, so they can appoint someone else to take over the case.

Then there would be nothing for the panel to rule on....

22 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Plus, travel in the US was difficult/dangerous for black people.  It's the whole reason the Green Book existed.  Sundown towns were far more numerous.  This fool grew up in an America that was way way way more different than the America his parents grew up in.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Seems to me that the play here would be for Willis to recuse herself, so they can appoint someone else to take over the case.

Then there would be nothing for the panel to rule on....

For what though?  Let Team TRUMP have their lil temper tantrum.  Then the convicted felon can face justice.  Lawyers have relationships all the time with other lawyers, cops, and judges.  Even political strategists.  A famous example of the strategist one is James Carville, who works for the Democratic Party, married Mary Matalin, who works for the Republican Party.

18 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

For what though?  Let Team TRUMP have their lil temper tantrum.  Then the convicted felon can face justice.  Lawyers have relationships all the time with other lawyers, cops, and judges.  Even political strategists.  A famous example of the strategist one is James Carville, who works for the Democratic Party, married Mary Matalin, who works for the Republican Party.

To save time? :classic_unsure:

The appeals court is expected to rule on the disqualification issue by March 2025

I agree that it shouldn't be disqualifying, but the important thing is to get this case to trial. There are plenty of competent people who could prosecute the case.

Apparently, a group of tech billionaires are throwing a shindig for Hair Gropenfuhrer and some folks in the Bay area are planning on a special "welcome" for him....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/san-francisco-readies-the-trump-prison-chicken-for-display-during-ex-president-s-visit/ar-BB1nGmt4?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=53fbac5cc96046a1a13587433ac5a37e&ei=38

San Francisco is readying a less-than-warm welcome for former President and convicted felon Donald Trump on Thursday when he attends a fundraiser tech billionaires are throwing him; a 3-story-tall inflatable chicken bearing his golden bouffant and prison stripes, according to the local Fox affiliate KTVU.

The Trump prison chicken will bob in the bay that is also home to Alcatraz Island, home to the now-shuttered notorious prison, organizer Danelle Morton reported said.

"I think the point of sailing the chicken has to be made, right?" Morton said. "I feel like just getting it done is a victory."

image.thumb.jpeg.b58135cd531da2024abdd3afdb0a4b7d.jpeg

• Haha 2

It doesn't mean much, but according to Samuel Alito's neighbor, the upside down flag was flying outside the Justice's home "weeks before" the confrontation between Alito's wife and the neighbor:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/the-timeline-just-disproves-it-justice-alito-s-neighbor-suggests-he-s-outright-lying/ar-BB1nI06w?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=7d27279559d140428c80f8dfb3a9ce2e&ei=13

• ThereItIs 1

Cue banjo music

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/ex-nascar-driver-and-son-arrested-for-allegedly-attacking-police-during-january-6-capitol-riot/ar-BB1nKuz5?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=eccfb9a69a484581980ec4becfdf5967&ei=20

"

Aretired NASCAR driver and his son are among four people who have been arrested for multiple felonies and misdemeanors over their alleged actions during the January 6 Capitol riot.

Tighe John Scott, 75, and 48-year-old Jarret Car Scott were arrested in Pennsylvania by the FBI on Wednesday after they allegedly “physically engaged with police officers” at the Capitol riot over three years ago, a statement from the US Justice Department says.

Tighe Scott was identified by a tipper to the FBI, saying that they do not know him personally, but know he is a retired NASCAR driver, court documents state.

He competed in dirt racing events before moving into the NASCAR Winston Cup Series in the late 1970s and early 1980s and made several appearances at the Daytona 500, ABC reported, who also identified the Scotts as being father and son, although authorities did confirm this connection in the news release.

Tighe Scott is alleged to have physically struck riot shields, while Jarrett Scott also allegedly pushed and resisted against the shields while holding a golf club.

Along with them, Scott Slater Sr, 56, and Scott Alex Slater Jr, 26, have also been arrested and charged.

Tighe and Jarrett Scott have both been charged with two felonies, including obstruction of law enforcement during a civil disorder and assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain officers.

-------------------------

more at link

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/steve-bannon-ordered-to-prison-as-judge-revokes-bail/ar-BB1nKXx6?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=b9dd102911094dfbad58f69ec4d6dbbc&ei=6

"BB1nKRuc.img?w=534&h=356&m=6&x=166&y=76&

U.S. District Court Judge Carl Nichols, an appointee of Donald Trump, has reportedly ordered Steve Bannon to surrender to prison on July 1.

The former White House strategist was sentenced to four months in prison after he defied a subpoena from the Jan. 6 committee. He was allowed to remain free during an appeal, which failed.

During a hearing on Thursday, Nichols said Bannon must surrender by July 1 and revoked his bail, according to Politico's Kyle Cheney.

Prior to the hearing, Bannon was seen laughing about the proceeding on his War Room podcast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Posted (edited)

Nancy Pelosi tried to barrel through with a long planned tax on driving in Manhattan in a congestion tax scheme.  People got angry and she got significant blow-back, by both citizens and businesses, and ordered the MTA to halt the program indefinitely.  Only after spending a huge amount of money on street cameras of course.

They're trying to say she changed her mind because she became concerned that there were risks of too many unintended consequences.  😵‍💫

Yeah like losing the next election after she barely got through the last one against a dude who had little funding.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/05/nyregion/congestion-pricing-pause-hochul.html

Edited by Sabrefan1
Grammar. I had a sudden attack of illiteracy.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Nancy Pelosi tried to barrel through with a long planned tax on driving in Manhattan in a congestion tax scheme.  People got angry and she got significant blow-back, by both citizens and businesses, and ordered the MTA to halt the program indefinitely.  Only after spending a huge amount of money on street cameras of course.

They're trying to say she changed her mind because she became concerned risks too many unintended consequences.  😵‍💫

Yeah like losing the next election after she barely got through the last one against a dude who had little funding.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/05/nyregion/congestion-pricing-pause-hochul.html

Some people just don't know when to retire.

• Vintage 1

Posted (edited)

For those here who root against progress for political reasons...  The 4th SpaceX Starship test flight was successful.

psych-suck-it_0.gif?itok=mxWQffoY

The landing grid fins got very very toasty and the edges melted and a camera lens cracked which made things interesting.

Edited by Sabrefan1

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

I don't think I've met those people yet.

Go back and look at the comments when the other tests completely or partially failed.   Also, the celebrating by the far left on X/Twitter.

That and I guarantee if SpaceX went the way of the dodo tomorrow, there would be happy people.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Go back and look at the comments when the other tests completely or partially failed.   Also, the celebrating by the far left on X/Twitter.

That and I guarantee if SpaceX went the way of the dodo tomorrow, there would be happy people.

Ok and a qualified maybe.

What they say on X/Twitter can't be described as 'here' and enjoying any failure by Musk can't be described as 'anti-progress'.   It can be described as anti Musk (and count me in).

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

What they say on X/Twitter can't be described as 'here' and enjoying any failure by Musk can't be described as 'anti-progress'.   It can be described as anti Musk (and count me in).

Yeah, get your head out of your ass, Sabre....It's entirely possible to dislike Elon Musk and still be pro-progress....:picard:

Or is this just more of your little "i like to stir things up" game?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I understand that people don't like Musk and that's perfectly fine, but it sticks in my craw when the dislike bleeds into wanting an entire company that's directly and indirectly responsible for keeping thousands upon thousands of people employed and advancing our interests in space.

I'm not a fan of how Boeing does business, but I do not take joy when their planes fail and when their Starliner capsule continues to see delays. 

Boeing is considering ending the Starliner program after it fulfills the few flights with it's NASA contract.  That is not good.  SpaceX should not be the US's only commercial space partner.

Edited by Sabrefan1

14 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Would it be fair to say that Musk has been overtly political over the last few years? Any push back he gets has nothing to do with progress.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, get your head out of your ass, Sabre....It's entirely possible to dislike Elon Musk and still be pro-progress....:picard:

Or is this just more of your little "i like to stir things up" game?

No.  after our discussion of a month or two ago, I will say when I'm trying to troll like with my UFC post last week.

I figured that either Starship 4 or 5 was gonna be successful so I kept my mouth shut when people were dogging SpaceX on their failures.