US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

53 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Not in my books. I'm an FDR guy.....

Also, I'm not as big a fan of Ronnie Ray Gun as you....I put Honest Abe and Ike ahead of him for sure....

Ronnie is way worse than regarded and Nixon not as bad....even being a racist crook. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

Ronnie is way worse than regarded and Nixon not as bad....even being a racist crook. 

Tricky Dick was right around the time I first started following politics....as I recall it, he had a pretty solid economy before the whole Watergate thing...

Just imagine if today's Republicans had the stones to engage in their own Saturday night massacre.....we'd all be free of the shit stain that is Donald Trump....

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Nothing to worry about.... @Sabrefan1 told me there are safeguards in place to prevent this sort of thing from happening.....

No.  Sabrefan said that a president can most likely pardon himself.  Nobody liked hearing that.

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

The weird thing is, they could have had him.....all they needed to do was to whip up a few more Impeachment votes in the Senate and it was a done deal....

The crazies like MTG and Gaetz are happy, but the McConnells and the Lankfords must realize how badly they fucked things up.....

They were fine with him back then and also took it as an attack on their party.

I'm curious though if they could go back in time, would they boot Trump so they could pave the way now for DeDufus.

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

No.  Sabrefan said that a president can most likely pardon himself.  Nobody liked hearing that.

Sorry? Are you claiming you never said that you're mot worried about a Trump presidency because there are systems in place that will check his worst impulses? :classic_huh:

14 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Sorry? Are you claiming you never said that you're mot worried about a Trump presidency because there are systems in place that will check his worst impulses? :classic_huh:

No.  I'm saying that presidents can most likely pardon themselves if they choose to.

As for trying to take over the government or overstay their term of office, neither will ever happen because both the system itself and the people who currently run the government will not allow it.

As I've said before, Trump will be a lame duck roughly 2 1/2 years into his term.  He'll see his advisors and cabinet breaking apart around 9 months or so later as they look to their next jobs.

• Cheers 1

Not really US politics - unless you take into account the sway on some voters Alex Jones has - but interesting none the less: 

Alex Jones agrees to liquidate his assets to pay Sandy Hook families, in move that would end his ownership of Infowars

Right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on Thursday moved to liquidate his personal assets, agreeing to demands from the families of Sandy Hook victims whom he owes more than $1.5 billion in damages over his lies about the 2012 school massacre.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/06/media/alex-jones-assets-sandy-hook/index.html

59 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Not really US politics - unless you take into account the sway on some voters Alex Jones has - but interesting none the less: 

Alex Jones agrees to liquidate his assets to pay Sandy Hook families, in move that would end his ownership of Infowars

Right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on Thursday moved to liquidate his personal assets, agreeing to demands from the families of Sandy Hook victims whom he owes more than $1.5 billion in damages over his lies about the 2012 school massacre.

He really is brain damaged.  Dude had worse lawyers than Trump. 

Looks like it's Twitter/X shows shot from his phone from here on out... 

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

I guess there are consequences of lying through your teeth and pushing fake stories all those years.

No idea how parents of kids that were killed in “staged events” were able to resist visiting this shit stain and emptying out entire clip into him.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/steve-bannon-ordered-to-prison-as-judge-revokes-bail/ar-BB1nKXx6?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=b9dd102911094dfbad58f69ec4d6dbbc&ei=6

"BB1nKRuc.img?w=534&h=356&m=6&x=166&y=76&

U.S. District Court Judge Carl Nichols, an appointee of Donald Trump, has reportedly ordered Steve Bannon to surrender to prison on July 1.

The former White House strategist was sentenced to four months in prison after he defied a subpoena from the Jan. 6 committee. He was allowed to remain free during an appeal, which failed.

During a hearing on Thursday, Nichols said Bannon must surrender by July 1 and revoked his bail, according to Politico's Kyle Cheney.

Prior to the hearing, Bannon was seen laughing about the proceeding on his War Room podcast.

The real question is are they going to issue him 3 prison shirts to wear at once? 🤔

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

The real question is are they going to issue him 3 prison shirts to wear at once? 🤔

Once he gets on sausage and liquid diet in prison, he will lose that weight quickly.

• Haha 2

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/republicans-in-pennsylvania-boo-and-walk-out-after-jan-6-cops-visit-and-are-introduced-as-heroes/ar-BB1nL9ww?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=f79dc3f1381a488f852c1a574bd53539&ei=82

"

Republican members of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives booed and hissed as two US Capitol Police officers were introduced onto the floor on Wednesday - before walking out when the “heroes” were honored.

Former US Capitol Police officer Harry Dunn and former sergeant Aquilino Gonell, who served during the January 6 riots, are touring Pennsylvania this week to campaign for President Joe Biden’s reelection.

They were welcomed into the chamber by House Speaker Joanna McClinton for having “bravely defended democracy in the United States Capitol against rioters and insurrection on January 6.” Other reps refered them as “heroes” when they were introduced on the floor.

Then, the Pennsylvania House sprung into chaos, The Washington Post reported.

Several Republican lawmakers vocalized their disapproval, with a number of them walking out of the chamber. Multiple representatives wrote about the incident on X. The interaction lasted less than five minutes and there were about 100 lawmakers in the chamber at the time.

The Pennsylvania House has 203 members — 101 Republicans and 102 Democrats.

“The @PAHouseGOP like many elected officials I helped protect and defend at the US Capitol, have abandoned the truth/sided with those who attacked us, the police, while at the same time saying they support the police and the rule of law,” Gonell wrote on the social media platform.

-------------------------

mal

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/republicans-in-pennsylvania-boo-and-walk-out-after-jan-6-cops-visit-and-are-introduced-as-heroes/ar-BB1nL9ww?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=f79dc3f1381a488f852c1a574bd53539&ei=82

"

Republican members of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives booed and hissed as two US Capitol Police officers were introduced onto the floor on Wednesday - before walking out when the “heroes” were honored.

Former US Capitol Police officer Harry Dunn and former sergeant Aquilino Gonell, who served during the January 6 riots, are touring Pennsylvania this week to campaign for President Joe Biden’s reelection.

They were welcomed into the chamber by House Speaker Joanna McClinton for having “bravely defended democracy in the United States Capitol against rioters and insurrection on January 6.” Other reps refered them as “heroes” when they were introduced on the floor.

Several Republican lawmakers vocalized their disapproval, with a number of them walking out of the chamber. Multiple representatives wrote about the incident on X. The interaction lasted less than five minutes and there were about 100 lawmakers in the chamber at the time.

“The @PAHouseGOP like many elected officials I helped protect and defend at the US Capitol, have abandoned the truth/sided with those who attacked us, the police, while at the same time saying they support the police and the rule of law,” Gonell wrote on the social media platform.

mal

Those MAGA's have no conscience!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Gurn said:

"

mal

What happened to "Blue lives matter"?  Guess they only believe that when the cops are murdering black people.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

What happened to "Blue lives matter"?  Guess they only believe that when the cops are murdering black people.

The more I see the actions of people, the more I want to run off into the woods, and get the fuck away from so called 'civil' ization

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Musk has issues with his Aspergers, but he's also a bit of an asshole/d-bag.  However I separate the man and the accomplishments. 

SpaceX nearly went bankrupt, but he kept at it until the very last launch he could afford at the time.  Had it failed, the company would have died in it's infancy.

His ego with buying/calling himself a Tesla "founder" is Trump-esque, which I don't like.

yeah he's a weird dude. But no one else is leading the way on the next iteration of space like he is. 

Ever since he bought the tweety I've thought it was purely for political positioning, and if/when Trump wins it should pay off really well for him. I doubt he actually gives two hot poops about anything anyone writes on that platform, he's all about building his vision for his companies. Whipping up some lefties to entertain the MAGAs might get him 10s of billions in new contracts for SpaceX and even Tesla. Thats how I see it anyway. 

• chaos 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yeah he's a weird dude. But no one else is leading the way on the next iteration of space like he is. 

Ever since he bought the tweety I've thought it was purely for political positioning, and if/when Trump wins it should pay off really well for him. I doubt he actually gives two hot poops about anything anyone writes on that platform, he's all about building his vision for his companies. Whipping up some lefties to entertain the MAGAs might get him 10s of billions in new contracts for SpaceX and even Tesla. Thats how I see it anyway. 

Space exploration is a good thing.  Global communication is a good thing.  I wonder how many years will go by before the ever growing number of satellites in the sky becomes a bad thing.  This is where we are now (and it grows in number every week):

image.thumb.png.b47241d63bf0ea4e8c04aff3d01bc4e3.png

Go here for a rotatable view of the entire planet:

https://satellitemap.space/

Edited by Satchmo
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

Space exploration is a good thing.  Global communication is a good thing.  I wonder how many years will go by before the ever growing number of satellites in the sky becomes a bad thing.  This is where we are now (and it grows in number every week):

image.thumb.png.4cbe23d286af57ff421f96bbb757012b.png

image.png

yea starlink is one of his businesses that I don't like, actually. I wish we weren't polluting the night sky but no one in power seems to care. 

I'd also never buy a Tesla, but I like how its pushed the EV industry into relevance. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

image.thumb.png.b47241d63bf0ea4e8c04aff3d01bc4e3.png

Go here for a rotatable view of the entire planet:

https://satellitemap.space/

giant traffic accident, waiting to happen.

On the plus side-all that twisted metal would likely be  a good sun screen.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

"Rules for thee but not for me" - GOP

I know I've said this a million times but...."remember the Mulford Act" for just an example of the GOP's hypocrisy.