US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

10 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

A Trump trial juror couldn't manage to stay silent...  His own brother outed both his identity on social media and that the jury was going to find Trump guilty.  The judge is not happy.  Now Trump's lawyers are very likely going to move for a re-trial.  I'll be surprised if he gets one but the judge is not a happy camper right now.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/judge-trumps-hush-money-case-raises-questions-social-media-post-appear-rcna156128

Hmm... This feels fake to me, maybe a desperate attempt to have something to appeal.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Hmm... This feels fake to me, maybe a desperate attempt to have something to appeal.

The judge initiated it and called a meeting with the lawyers.  I doubt the judge is faking it.  He was very careful to avoid pitfalls that could have hurt the trial in appeals.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

The judge initiated it and called a meeting with the lawyers.  I doubt the judge is faking it.  He was very careful to avoid pitfalls that could have hurt the trial in appeals.

I mean that the post feels fake. The judge has to take it seriously.

Just now, Bob Long said:

I mean that the post feels fake. The judge has to take it seriously.

It was by the jurors brother and it appeared while they were deliberating.  I think it's real, but I would be truly surprised if it triggered a mistrial.

10 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Even if this is the brother of a juror there is no indication the brothers were in contact during the deliberation is there? It was pretty clear to anyone following the news on the trial that Trump was going to be found guilty. So not a big leap to suggest that’s going to be the verdict. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Listen to Trump plagiarize Hitler on the campaign trail

I make a post about a great statement by Ronald Regan and how  Sanders copied it and somehow it turns into a Trump conversation?  WTF!

Trump stinks, always has. 

39 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It was by the jurors brother and it appeared while they were deliberating.  I think it's real, but I would be truly surprised if it triggered a mistrial.

The story says cousin. Feels like a trump team setup to me.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

A cousin.  Now they will investigate to see if there really is a guy named Michael Anderson who is a cousin of a juror.   If that turns out to be true they will then investigate communications between the two.

“Today, the Court became aware of a comment that was posted on the Unified Court System’s public Facebook page and which I now bring to your attention,” Judge Juan Merchan wrote in a letter dated Friday. 

“My cousin is a juror and said Trump is getting convicted,” the post stated, according to Merchan's letter. “Thank you folks for all your hard work!!!!”

Merchan said that the comment, which was attributed to a user identified as Michael Anderson, was "now labeled as one week old," and was posted in response to a routine notice from the court posted on May 29 about oral arguments unrelated to proceedings in Trump’s case.

' My brother's, cousin's, sister's, friend, is on that jury" says an anonymous account that is likely not related to either the brother, the cousin, the sister, or her friend.

Millions of twitter/tick tock whatever calling Drumpf guilty, the only difference here is the claim of "cousin's on the jury"--

which is likely just an appeal to authority, someone making themselves seem big.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Even if this is the brother of a juror there is no indication the brothers were in contact during the deliberation is there? It was pretty clear to anyone following the news on the trial that Trump was going to be found guilty. So not a big leap to suggest that’s going to be the verdict. 

Good question. 

28 minutes ago, Gurn said:

' My brother's, cousin's, sister's, friend, is on that jury" says an anonymous account that is likely not related to either the brother, the cousin, the sister, or her friend.

Millions of twitter/tick tock whatever calling Drumpf guilty, the only difference here is the claim of "cousin's on the jury"--

which is likely just an appeal to authority, someone making themselves seem big.

The judge took it seriously enough to call the lawyers to him.  He must at some point believed there is validity to the post or it would have been ignored.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

The judge took it seriously enough to call the lawyers to him.  He must at some point believed there is validity to the post or it would have been ignored.

Due diligence, is my guess.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

If he does nothing, then the MAGAts claim of partiality starts looking legit....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I make a post about a great statement by Ronald Regan and how  Sanders copied it and somehow it turns into a Trump conversation?  WTF!

It's to remind you tat both sides are the same.  They've plagiarized others for year in the political theater.  There is no original thought anymore.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Due diligence, is my guess.

We'll see.  Even if it is true, like I said, I don't see how it could snowball into a mistrial.  That juror however could get a contempt of court charge.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Even more, its turned into a talk about Sanders. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Holy crap.  Apparently reading comprehension has escaped me...  I could have sworn it said brother.  D'oh!

"brother" I would be wondering more. "cousin" just sounds like BS to me 😆

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

If he does nothing, then the MAGAts claim of partiality starts looking legit....

My guess is that he may end up finding the juror in contempt and go ahead with the sentencing in July and let the appellate courts deal with any potential jury misconduct claims.

If I were him, that's what I would do.  I'd want the case out of my courtroom as soon as possible.

Edited by Sabrefan1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

"brother" I would be wondering more. "cousin" just sounds like BS to me 😆

Normally my first reaction would be MAGA troll, but apparently the judge was fairly irked.  That's what lent credence to the report.  This judge is a fairly calm and measured dude.

Like I said before, I'd be stunned if it derailed the verdict.  It's likely just going to be fodder for the higher courts to decide.

Edited by Sabrefan1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Normally my first reaction would be MAGA troll, but apparently the judge was fairly irked.  That's what lent credence to the report.  This judge is a fairly calm and measured dude.

Like I said before, I'd be stunned if it derailed the verdict.  It's likely just going to be fodder for the higher courts to decide.

if I was a betting man, I'd say this was the work of one of trumps legal team. Heck it may even be a cousin that was paid-off to do it. Nothing would surprise me at this point. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

if I was a betting man, I'd say this was the work of one of trumps legal team. Heck it may even be a cousin that was paid-off to do it. Nothing would surprise me at this point. 

Normally I'd scoff at the thought of lawyers risking it, but we have seen people inexplicably go to jail for the guy on multiple occasions.  It's mind boggling.

• Upvote 1