US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Normally I'd scoff at the thought of lawyers risking it, but we have seen people inexplicably go to jail for the guy on multiple occasions.  It's mind boggling.

yep the whole voting machine thing really blew the doors off any sense of legal professionalism when it comes to the MAGA cult. 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The judge took it seriously enough to call the lawyers to him.  He must at some point believed there is validity to the post or it would have been ignored.

He would also know that just ignoring it could cause Trump supporters to gather their pitchforks.

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

He would also know that just ignoring it could cause Trump supporters to gather their pitchforks.

He's a former prosecutor.  I doubt he cares what MAGA thinks.  He's put very bad people away.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He's a former prosecutor.  I doubt he cares what MAGA thinks.  He's put very bad people away.

He's very by the book it seems.   The book says stuff like this has to be looked into.  He wants this case closed with no open questions.  He wants to investigate any rumor that anyone could use as ammunition to question the integrity of the verdict.  MAGA's are just the ones most likely to pose those questions inappropriately.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Holy crap.  Apparently reading comprehension has escaped me...  I could have sworn it said brother.  D'oh!

coffee- can help, as long as you don't overdo it. 🙂

• Haha 1

Not sure how many are aware, but the Repugs latest gambit is to undermine state court cases against current, or former presidents. They want the feds to be able take over any case brought at the state level, meaning that the president can have his AG prosecute, or drop the case....

The good news (if there is any) is that Mike Johnson is having trouble drumming up support, even from the GQP...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/mike-johnson-struggles-to-whip-enough-votes-for-bill-making-it-impossible-to-prosecute-trump/ar-BB1nPLjp?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=cb7e5a60e7ef4df28d7dbc9ce03c3705&ei=92

In the wake of former President Donald Trump's guilty verdict on 34 felony counts in New York, House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-Louisiana) is now trying to make it virtually impossible for any local or state prosecutor to bring charges against him ever again. But trying to get enough support from within his conference for the concept is another challenge altogether.

Axios reported Friday that Johnson is trying to enlist members of the House Republican Conference to support the No More Political Prosecutions Act. That bill would make it so a current or former president could have any case brought by a local or state-level prosecutor moved to federal court. This would then put those local and state cases under a president's jurisdiction to either have his appointed attorney general dismiss or allow a president to pardon himself if convicted.

However, one major roadblock Johnson has run into is the more moderate faction of his caucus, as Republicans from swing districts have expressed reticence to fully support that legislation.

46 minutes ago, Gurn said:

It's funny that you say that.  I gave up coffee a week and a half ago because I had started too often doubling my morning intake from 20-24 oz. to 40-48 oz.

At some point I'm likely to start it up again, but for now I'm abstaining.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gurn said:

Speaking of coffee. ...........

Took all the pre sale money then just rolled it up and eff'd off.

Can't complain if you gave this fool your money. You wanted 'roasted' well you got roasted.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rudy-giulianis-coffee-roastery-burke-brands-also-just-went-bankrupt?

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

This is where US Politics has gotten to....The man (and I use that term ironically) that Veteran John McCain used to call his best friend said this:

It was FDR that used every trick in the book to get aid to the Allies before Pearl Harbor.  And yes, his own party didn't really want to do that.  In fact, "isolationism" was a pretty strong force at the time.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

People are morans if they think Trump cares at all about anyone but himself. Hard to understand why anyone would vote for this selfish pos. 

Because Jesus would, apparently.

New Yahoo News/YouGov poll: After Trump felony conviction, Biden leads for 1st time in months — but not by much

Slightly more Americans think Donald Trump should get a prison sentence (43%) than think he should not (40%).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/new-yahoo-newsyougov-poll-after-trump-felony-conviction-biden-leads-for-1st-time-in-months--but-not-by-much-193423583.html

But Joe Biden is the one who's cognitively impaired....:classic_rolleyes:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/other/he-is-senile-trump-s-batteries-and-shark-attacks-rant-causes-mental-health-questions/ar-BB1nUQZG?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=53b49a5acabb46278fc7320264096765&ei=15

"It must be because of M.I.T., my relationship with M.I.T., very smart, I say, what would happen if the boat sank from its weight, and you have this tremendously powerful battery, and the battery is now underwater and there's a shark that's approximately 10 yards over there ... by the way, a lot of shark attacks lately," Trump said before derailing the conversation with a purported shark attack story. He then rejoins his original tale about the sinking boat, asking, "Do I get electrocuted or do I jump over by the shark?"

Not only is Trump senile, he's abysmally stupid....:picard:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Here is a short summary of Donald Trump’s June 9 speech in Las Vegas:

1. Tells crowd “I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care.”

2. Tells contractors who set up mic and teleprompter they did a “shitty job” and he “won’t pay them.”

3. Tells audience to choose “suicide over Biden.”

4. Complains about teleprompter again.

5. Asks “Do I get electrocuted or do I jump over by the shark?”

6. Claims he "aced" a dementia test twice: “Not easy to ace!”

7. Says “There has never been people treated more horrifically than J6 hostages.”

8. Calls prosecutor a “dumb son of a bitch.”

9. Complains media is too focused on health of crowd in heat when they should “care about Trump.”

10. Glitches multiple times.

11. Speech ends. Trump whisked away on private jet paid for by donors.

We have all the receipts here https://youtu.be/A27GiTMmXjE?si

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

2. Tells contractors who set up mic and teleprompter they did a “shitty job” and he “won’t pay them.”

7. Says “There has never been people treated more horrifically than J6 hostages.”

9. Complains media is too focused on health of crowd in heat when they should “care about Trump.”

He knows how to keep the hoopleheads entertained.

21 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

And the deplorables will continue to vote for him because somehow it means it sticks it to the ‘man’, and it makes him seem one of ‘them’. 

I almost want to give up but I got a kid that has to live in the reckoning and aftermath of complacency and ignorance. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

When I first read this I thought I was on the wrong page. Hasn’t he literally said all this shit before? I swear he was berating a teleprompter operator a week or two ago. And the shart vs the battery thing was like a year ago. It's all so fucking stupid. 

25 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

And remember.  This rally was OUTSIDE in VEGAS. 

Trump screwed over and stiffed payment to too many cities and arena owners during his first run.  Nobody is willing to rent anything bigger than a high school auditorium to him now.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1