US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

The "Stable Genius" does it again....

The RNC is holding a meeting in Milwaukee....so guess who called it a "horrible city"? :picard:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/wisconsin-republicans-scramble-to-clean-up-after-trump-trashes-milwaukee/ar-BB1oaZa5?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=0b6ca2786ab84c45a903c652d8fa356b&ei=14

I've driven through there, he's not wrong.

Something else that is flying under the radar somewhat is the fact that congressional republicans have voted to hold Merrick Garland in contempt for refusing to turn over the taped interview of Joe Biden by Robert Hur.....(the guy who unnecessarily characterized JB as a "confused, elderly man", when deciding not to charge him with mishandling classified documents)

The GQP members who took part in the vote, say the tapes are needed for the ongoing Impeachment probe into the President. Of course, this is utter bullshit. They want those recordings, so they can manipulate them and use them in the election campaign.

How do we know this? Because the republicans already have a full transcript of the interview.

https://apnews.com/article/garland-contempt-congress-vote-biden-classified-documents-20f5e8f48cfd8390eb695d13079ca306

Garland has defended the Justice Department, saying officials have gone to extraordinary lengths to provide information to the committees about Special Counsel Robert Hur’s classified documents investigation, including a transcript of Biden’s interview with him.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think most people in that state would agree with him. It's like Regina.

Probably....but I'm referring to Milwaukee residents. I doubt they would take kindly to a POS like Trump trashing their home town.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think most people in that state would agree with him. It's like Regina.

Regina is the attractive sister in any family that includes Winnipeg.

Also Regina is wearing a little lipstick now that it has a nice ring road…

• Haha 1

Another gem to come out of the Trump GQP summit today was that Bone Spurs apparently doesn't see the benefit of Ukraine winning it's war with Russia:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/trump-can-t-understand-benefit-of-ukraine-winning-war-with-russia/ar-BB1ob4T3?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=9899bd24420746a5bd47d19d13e0cab7&ei=13

Former President Donald Trump reportedly questioned what the benefit would be of Ukraine winning the war with Russia in his first visit to Capitol Hill since the insurrection.

Trump spoke with Republican lawmakers on Thursday, hitting a range of issues behind closed doors.

Trump apparently slammed a $60billion aid package for Ukraine that lawmakers including GOP members recently passed.

‘He’s like, if Ukraine wins, what will be the benefit?’ Republican Rep Don Bacon told reporters afterward.

Bacon added: ‘Well I could see the benefit pretty clearly.’

....but we can't elect "Sleepy Joe"....:classic_rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Tesla's unsold inventory is creating stockpiles you can see from space

Where have all the Teslas gone? Stored in parking lots, every one.

https://sherwood.news/business/elon-musk-tesla-extra-inventory-satellite-imagery/

I appreciate what Elon did to move the entire industry along, but Tesla's have serious quality problems, I would't ever consider purchasing one.

Now a Fiat 500e sure sounds like lot of fun to drive. 

First Tesla I ever saw was the original Roadster, a beautiful  looking car.

Owner had a sign made up, giving all the details, so he didn't have to keep answering the same questions-over and over and over.

If I'd had $10 grand to invest in stock then, I'd be a much wealthier man now.

Perhaps if Elon had made sure the employees were valued and listened to, he would not be in this spot now.

9 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Owner had a sign made up, giving all the details, so he didn't have to keep answering the same questions-over and over and over.

Perhaps if Elon had made sure the employees were valued and listened to, he would not be in this spot now.

Or, you know, maybe not publicly rail against an entire demographic that happen to be your biggest consumers. All while pandering to folks who actively disparage electric cars. Fricken genius. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

2 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Or, you know, maybe not publicly rail against an entire demographic that happen to be your biggest consumers. All while pandering to folks who actively disparage electric cars. Fricken genius. 

The stockholders just voted to give him his 50+ Billion dollar package back that the Delaware judge voided and they also approved Tesla's reincorporation to Texas.

People have just stopped buying Tesla's because the economics of US electric cars suck.  They are pricey as heck.  They lose battery capacity in freezing cold weather.  The insurance is sky high because they are so expensive to fix that a simple moderately hard back ending of one can cause insurance companies to declare them totaled and they have to write out a huge check.  Then there's the non-Tesla branded charging stations that are constantly broken coupled with the non-super chargers that only slowly charge the cars.

In China, they have stations where you drive into an automated battery pack exchanger, your car's battery pack is removed and replaced with a freshly charged one. 

It's less profitable to do this in the US so they'd rather people just not buy their cars for whatever reason.

Those cars that are stored in parking lots are likely heading out for export all over the world at some point.  So they'll get sold, just not to us.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The stockholders just voted to give him his 50+ Billion dollar package back that the Delaware judge voided and they also approved Tesla's reincorporation to Texas.

People have just stopped buying Tesla's because the economics of US electric cars suck.  They are pricey as heck.  They lose battery capacity in freezing cold weather.  The insurance is sky high because they are so expensive to fix that a simple moderately hard back ending of one can cause insurance companies to declare them totaled and they have to write out a huge check.  Then there's the non-Tesla branded charging stations that are constantly broken coupled with the non-super chargers that only slowly charge the cars.

In China, they have stations where you drive into an automated battery pack exchanger, your car's battery pack is removed and replaced with a freshly charged one. 

It's less profitable to do this in the US so they'd rather people just not buy their cars for whatever reason.

Those cars that are stored in parking lots are likely heading out for export all over the world at some point.  So they'll get sold, just not to us.

Are you saying his politics had little effect on his sales/stocks?

1 hour ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Are you saying his politics had little effect on his sales/stocks?

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/15/business/ev-car-sales-tesla.html

A negligible effect.  If it was solely his politics responsible for the lack of EV sales, other companies would have picked up the difference.  Nobody has.  Also, Tesla finally has competition.  They aren't the only toy in the house anymore.

That's why companies like Ford have slashed their aggressive EV plans and have taken huge write-offs for losses incurred.

It's going to take longer than the environmentalists want for EV's to replace ICE vehicles.

Right now, EV's are a poor investment.  Almost 3 years ago, I looked into getting either a Tesla or a Rivian (Rivian was coming close to finally shipping vehicles) .  I didn't care about the charging time for either of them because I had already decided that I was gonna slow down my life not long after, but being a resident of Buffalo, the poorer performance in freezing cold weather was a deal breaker for me.  I ended up buying another ICE vehicle.  I also considered a hybrid, but there were none that caught my eye.

12 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/15/business/ev-car-sales-tesla.html

A negligible effect.  If it was solely his politics responsible for the lack of EV sales, other companies would have picked up the difference.  Nobody has.  Also, Tesla finally has competition.  They aren't the only toy in the house anymore.

That's why companies like Ford have slashed their aggressive EV plans and have taken huge write-offs for losses incurred.

It's going to take longer than the environmentalists want for EV's to replace ICE vehicles.

Right now, EV's are a poor investment.  Almost 3 years ago, I looked into getting either a Tesla or a Rivian (Rivian was coming close to finally shipping vehicles) .  I didn't care about the charging time for either of them because I had already decided that I was gonna slow down my life not long after, but being a resident of Buffalo, the poorer performance in freezing cold weather was a deal breaker for me.  I ended up buying another ICE vehicle.  I also considered a hybrid, but there were none that caught my eye.

Isn't one of the main reasons Tesla is around is as a result of rather large government subsidies/corporate welfare it received?.  Which is ironic given Elon Muskovite's opinions.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1

This is a huge blow (pun intended) for FF Jr.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/germany-s-largest-cocaine-bust-billions-worth-of-drugs-seized/ar-BB1odtbx?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=a6e8de70e0b74c56a7e84975437d749d&ei=133

"German authorities announced a major victory against cocaine trafficking earlier today.

The Stuttgart Customs Investigation Office and the Düsseldorf Public Prosecutor's Office revealed that they have seized dozens of tons of cocaine, valued at several billion euros.

The authorities have named it the largest drug bust in the country's history, as reported by Kurier.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Isn't one of the main reasons Tesla is around is as a result of rather large government subsidies/corporate welfare it received?.  Which is ironic given Elon Muskovite's opinions.

If you mean, did it survive it's infancy because of gov't subsidies, yes.  

Does Tesla need them now?  No.  Do they get them anyways?  Yes. 

Who gets that subsidy money in the end these days?  Shareholders.

These days they get the lion's share of their subsidies from states if I remember their portfolio correctly (it's been a few years since I last read it).

They caused a bit of a kerfuffle several years ago with their heavily subsidized Gigafactory here in Buffalo.  Hugely subsidized, but things became a bit chaotic after their original use of it began to flounder and the equipment that was given to them had to be liquidated at a heavy loss.

Edited by Sabrefan1
Grammar
  • Cheers 1

Years ago realized the 2nd amendment in Constitution of he United States was some what out of date,.    Especially around the words of having or not having a true Militia or Military at the time of its defence against he UK .….  But this is another reality check to throw into that time ..

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Years ago realized the 2nd amendment in Constitution of he United States was some what out of date,.    Especially around the words of having or not having a true Militia or Military at the time of its defence against he UK .….  But this is another reality check to throw into that time ..

Forget everything else, the 2nd amendment clearly state 'well regulated'. None of what is happening in the US wrt guns is well regulated. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, 24K said:

Forget everything else, the 2nd amendment clearly state 'well regulated'. None of what is happening in the US wrt guns is well regulated. 

its the militia part thats supposed to be well regulated, correct? I think the "arms" part is pretty wide open.

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Speaking of "Grandpas", guess which lying, fat, sack of shit, convicted criminal turns 78 today?

Can't confirm, but I'm hearing that his birthday cake has a file in it....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Haha 3
  • Cheers 1