US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I didn't post anything claiming it was factual. I responded to somebody who decided to point out the president had good job numbers. I thought it was quite admirable of him for his love and compassion for Americans. I just don't remember him ever pointing out good job numbers under the previous administration.

No need to oblige me. Have a good day yourself. Happy Thanksgiving

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

That's good news for Americans. Their previous president as well had near record level Lows of unemployment but unless I'm confused I don't ever recall you posting that.

As I pointed out neither of them have been at record lows in unemployment. What you stated sure sounds as if it is a fact. Unemployment would have to drop about 45% from both of their lows to reach the record all time low.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Just another “talented” member of the Trump family. I swear that they have a future in television. Maybe doing something along the lines of SCTV.

For the moment there, I thought you were going to refer to those made-for-TV smut movies that one of the channels used to broadcast on the Friday late-night slot.  :hurhur:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

As I pointed out neither of them have been at record lows in unemployment. What you stated sure sounds as if it is a fact. Unemployment would have to drop about 45% from both of their lows to reach the record all time low.

I think I wrote near record lows. Did I not? And admittedly I don't actually know the numbers but I believe I heard Republicans or Trumper s saying their unemployment rate was the lowest it had been since the second world war. Is this not true?

Edited by Ryan Strome

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think I wrote near record lows. Did I not? And admittedly I don't actually know the numbers but I believe I heard Republicans or Trumper s saying their unemployment rate was the lowest it had been since the second world war. Is this not true?

You did write 'near' record levels however that's off by about 45%. I think by any definition of 'near' 45% off isn't it. 

Politicians exaggerate and lie all the time. Trumper more so than any of them. Taking them/him at his word is a fool's errand. Trumper didn't say since the Second World War he said of all time. Because to him that's close enough and he knows people will just repeat what he says.

Just a few pages back someone posted a tweet from Eric Trump as if anything he posts isn't a complete BS interpretation of events, which it is.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

You did write 'near' record levels however that's off by about 45%. I think by any definition of 'near' 45% off isn't it. 

Politicians exaggerate and lie all the time. Trumper more so than any of them. Taking them/him at his word is a fool's errand. Trumper didn't say since the Second World War he said of all time. Because to him that's close enough and he knows people will just repeat what he says.

Just a few pages back someone posted a tweet from Eric Trump as if anything he posts isn't a complete BS interpretation of events, which it is.

Okay then it clearly wasn't Trump that I heard it from but what I had heard was since the second world war. And I do believe that is accurate. But if you want to educate me, I'm all ears. Otherwise you have yourself a happy Thanksgiving.

40 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So now we know you don't like Trump and you don't like Sanders. Good luck finding someone in the center down south lol

I like Bernie. Not all of his ideas for the US, but the dude's walked his talk for decades. I don't care much for Biden or Trump.

• Vintage 1

On 10/4/2023 at 6:38 PM, Canuckle said:

Thing is the stuff I'm saying is just as true before the Orange Clown as it is after the clown. That's the rub. In fact it's undeniably worse.

hey now. I never said I was better than anyone. I might be educated in this stuff, but never said I was better than anyone else nor do I think I am.

Just trying to open a dialogue, providing a bit of a different approach to the subject matter than I'd seen previously in the thread. And I mean while the stuff I'm saying is interrelated to American politics, also transcends politics altogether.

I agree with your assessment about the Dems being right and Repubs being far right, as far as normative political compasses go, but I'm also not one to subscribe to lesser evilisms as viable solutions for change... especially considering the interests involved in that circus.

Change comes from class struggle-- Social movements - sustained, unrelenting movements FORCE change. It doesn't come from the state. It comes from collective people power. Always has.

So when you say hope of a centrist party what is that going to change in terms of this?

i7j5d7hwi9u51.thumb.jpg.8acca2b668456b7a9bcf219bc28c8abc.jpg

https://www.marxists.org/archive/debs/works/1918/court.htm

Not much, I'm afraid. And that's the stuff I'm most concerned with when talking about politics and what changes for us exploited peasants out here. Myself included.

The problem is, a large portion of the American population is right wing. It's not just the capitalist; however, it also partially because of the capitalists that the American society tends to lean that direction. There's a lot of propaganda that happens. There are a lot of rural states as well which keep the far right in power, especially since the Democrats don't seem to know how to reach rural populations (which is ironic as they've had a HUGE opportunity to do so the past couple of years).

This isn't just a rich vs poor scenario. It's a situation of propaganda. It's a situation of the majority of that population not knowing anything outside their own bubble (ie. they don't see what more progressive countries are doing). While the corporations are largely to blame for things in the states, it's not all the corporations at this point since the ideas are largely ingrained in the population as well.

I think, until the population actually sees what a competent left party is capable of without a far right constantly creating propaganda against change, the US is going to drag its feet behind other countries, including Canada, when it comes to certain policies.

However, despite what I've said, I still disagree that both parties are fundamentally the same. There is after all still a progressive part of the Democrats just as much as there is a far right contingent of the Republicans. However, in order for that more progressive contingent to be of use and help push things forward, we have to get right of "Trump's ghosts" first.

Edited by The Lock

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I like Bernie. Not all of his ideas for the US, but the dude's walked his talk for decades. I don't care much for Biden or Trump.

Bernie at least stands by his guns to be honest. Well... maybe not in a literal sense, but from a policy sense....

Like I think it shouldn't matter if one is for or against his policies, he still deserves mad respect.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Bernie at least stands by his guns to be honest. Well... maybe not in a literal sense, but from a policy sense....

Like I think it shouldn't matter if one is for or against his policies, he still deserves mad respect.

yep. When you look at all the pigs at the trough in the US congress he stands apart. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sure there's no longer an "Mr Smith goes to Washington" ala Jimmy Stewart but (imho), it like the difference between a Brad Marchand & a Sean Avery.  Both are slime but one tries to shorten your career via questionable hits & the other tried to hurt your feeling via his potty mouth essentially.

I think of it more like, one will watch the country slowly die with a smile on their face while telling everyone how strong and independent they are for just the act of drawing breath, while the other will be furiously waving the flag while being just as much at fault for the country slowly dying in the first place.

Random thoughts, but I really do feel sorry for the state of the US these days. The only way they're getting out of this mess they're in that I can see is by eliminating the far right. This can only really happen if the Democrats win everything in 2024: the house, the senate, the presidency: everything. That way the far right has no voice.

My hope is that there are republicans out there that can see this. so that it helps in their decision for 2024. They don't even have to permanently vote democrat, just vote for it long enough so that that far right has no voice and they fade away, then the government can function once more without the adults in congress who apparently need diapers.

Edited by The Lock

22 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yeah, I just meant that he doesn't like globalism either. He was anti-nafta as well. I think it's an American thing. They can't only win on every agreement. They have to win by a mile or they are furious.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The man has always held strongly to his beliefs and I respect him for that as well as putting others before himself.

IMG_9662.jpeg

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

The man has always held strongly to his beliefs and I respect him for that as well as putting others before himself.

IMG_9662.jpeg

I bet if you put Canadians in charge of American politics, Bernie Sanders would probably be president.

I actually genuinely believe that, not based on policies, but based on popularity, which often beats out policies anyway.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Just scanned this shit too.

Dont call me kid, tell me to get an education, facist.... Thats part of what i am talking about. It reeks of weakness when you try to belittle people. I talk with folks on here from all sides of the political spectrum with respect. However, you are not honest. That makes for no real convo at all. 

BloQerHiQh. Lol.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

BloQerHiQh. Lol.

Does seem to have made his mind up and filled his cup.

He needs to slow down and listen a bit a lot better.

If he wants to reach people, his approach is nullifying any possible achievements. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

If he wants to reach people

I'm not sure if reaching people is their intent.  Seems to be more about verablizing their own internal diarrhea to get a rise out of others.  I should know because that was the way I played many, many years ago, when I was an angrier younger man.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm not sure if reaching people is their intent.  Seems to be more about verablizing their own internal diarrhea to get a rise out of others.  I should know because that was the way I played many, many years ago, when I was an angrier younger man.

My bad. I didnt know that's how that poster identified. 

Jokes of course. I hear ya. Just maybe looking for attention and read a few things so now the cup is full. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

My bad. I didnt know that's how that poster identified. 

Jokes of course. I hear ya. Just maybe looking for attention and read a few things so now the cup is full. 

I'm being facetious to a certain extent, and that facetiousness extends to the thought that I grew up with that "when in doubt, use the gender-neutral term 'it' to identify someone".  :hurhur:

• Cheers 1