US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Here is the thing.  Only Biden and TRUMP can decide of they stay or go.  There is no secretive back door mechanism for the party to make a change.  Also, delegates cannot vote for someone else on their own. 

The QOP closed that loophole during the last convention when there were some members telling delegates to vote their conscience.

Nomination is party controlled, not controlled by law.

The parties make the rules on who gets nominated and how.

3 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

My vote in November is vote against Trump and gutless republicans that supported him.

I watched Rubio interview after the debate, he needs to remove Trumps balls from his mouth.

Biden, Clinton, Michelle Obama, Newsome, Santa Claus, tooth fairy, whomever runs against Trump is getting my vote.

I just read a tweet that said roughly the same thing.  He ended it with, he'd vote for a golden retriever over Trump.  😆

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I just read a tweet that said roughly the same thing.  He ended it with, he'd vote for a golden retriever over Trump.  😆

Heck I would vote for a golden retriever over any politician. 

11 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

My vote in November is vote against Trump and gutless republicans that supported him.

I watched Rubio interview after the debate, he needs to remove Trumps balls from his mouth.

Biden, Clinton, Michelle Obama, Newsome, Santa Claus, tooth fairy, whomever runs against Trump is getting my vote.

Hopefully 90 million other Americans agree with you

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Nomination is party controlled, not controlled by law.

The parties make the rules on who gets nominated and how.

The rules that are in effect for this election cycle is what they are.  The delegates are tied.  There is no back room procedure to change things.

Only Biden and TRUMP can initiate the change. 

Just now, the destroyer of worlds said:

The rules that are in effect for this election cycle is what they are.  The delegates are tied.  There is no back room procedure to change things.

I'll have to take your word on that.  I don't belong to a party and have never actually looked into the subject in the past.  I just know that nominations are a party thing, not a legal thing.

8 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I'll have to take your word on that.  I don't belong to a party and have never actually looked into the subject in the past.  I just know that nominations are a party thing, not a legal thing.

Just ran across an NBC article that basically says it's technically possible to replace him, but very unlikely to happen because the already chosen delegates are loyal to Biden.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/can-democrats-replace-joe-biden-ballot-rcna159374

12 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The Democrats can get rid of Biden prior to the convention via the 25th amendment. Once he’s gone they can look at another candidate. Kamala would take over as President until the election. 

Twenty-Fifth Amendment

Section 1:

In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President.

Section 2:

Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

Section 3:

Whenever the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, such powers and duties shall be discharged by the Vice President as Acting President.

3 minutes ago, bolt said:

Why are they debating in June? This isn't normally done till October.

TRUMP ran his mouth and the primaries were a forgone conclusion.   Biden called him out and TRUMP fell for it. 

Ya, normally they happen after the conventions

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Democrats can get rid of Biden prior to the convention via the 25th amendment. Once he’s gone they can look at another candidate. Kamala would take over as President until the election. 

Twenty-Fifth Amendment

Section 1:

In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President.

Section 2:

Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

Section 3:

Whenever the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, such powers and duties shall be discharged by the Vice President as Acting President.

This close to election day, there's no way I can see the Democrats commit what could be seen as a coup.  It would reflect poorly on them.  They have more than the presidency at stake.  They have a real chance at getting the House of Representatives back.

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

TRUMP ran his mouth and the primaries were a forgone conclusion.   Biden called him out and TRUMP fell for it. 

Ya, normally they happen after the conventions

Hindsight horrible move by Biden. 

This close to election day, there's no way I can see the Democrats commit what could be seen as a coup.  It would reflect poorly on them.  They have more than the presidency at stake.  They have a real chance at getting the House of Representatives back.

Best case scenario is Biden have a come to Jesus moment or Dems hope he hit the bucket asap. 

Because Biden went down to Trump's level today and doesn't have a chance to win anymore?

28 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

No person that is as old as these two should run for president.
With that being said, the only two people that can win are Biden and Trump, me voting for 3rd party candidate changes nothing. If you asked me few years ago, would I ever vote for Bernie, my answer would be absolutely not.

In 2024, I would gladly vote for that old commie sympathizer. So yeah, if they leaked video of Joe pulling the Cleveland steamer on Stormy, I still vote for his old wrinkly ass.

Just now, bolt said:

Because Biden went down to Trump's level today and doesn't have a chance to win anymore?

Biden still has a chance to win.  It's just less likely now.  If I were the White House, I'd start putting him on TV as much as I could with prepared speeches that he practices beforehand.

Get him looking as good on camera as possible.  Then lean hard on the "he was sick" thing and was having a hard time concentrating.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

No person that is as old as these two should run for president.
With that being said, the only two people that can win are Biden and Trump, me voting for 3rd party candidate changes nothing. If you asked me few years ago, would I ever vote for Bernie, my answer would be absolutely not.

In 2024, I would gladly vote for that old commie sympathizer. So yeah, if they leaked video of Joe pulling the Cleveland steamer on Stormy, I still vote for his old wrinkly ass.

I don't live in a swing state so my 3rd party vote won't affect anything.  Biden will still win NY even with tonight's performance.

Biden still has a chance to win.  It's just less likely now.  If I were the White House, I'd start putting him on TV as much as I could with prepared speeches that he practices beforehand.

Get him looking as good on camera as possible.  Then lean hard on the "he was sick" thing and was having a hard time concentrating.

I don’t know if you watched, but he spoke to supporters after the debate and he seemed so much more lively.

He does better in front of live audience imo, either that or he had like 6 pack of Red Bulls and bottle of Vicks.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I don’t know if you watched, but he spoke to supporters after the debate and he seemed so much more lively.

He does better in front of live audience imo, either that or he had like 6 pack of Red Bulls and bottle of Vicks.

Yeah.  I posted the transcript of it in the last page.  His voice sounded better too.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Yeah.  I posted the transcript of it in the last page.  His voice sounded better too.

Must have had Ricola as well, Swiss make good stuff I tell ya’.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, CBH1926 said:

I still remember loving their old commercials with the guy shouting Ricola from a mountaintop and blowing into that long horn.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I still remember loving their old commercials with the guy shouting Ricola from a mountaintop and blowing into that long horn.

• Cheers 1