US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

11 minutes ago, 24K said:

I say it might be better to just forgo election and just do a random lottery for congress and state houses each year.

That would destroy democracy. 

The electorate (us) needs to stop sending the same exact people back to office.

These problems are ultimately of our own making through laziness, ignorance, and complacency.

We keep voting for and sending these people into office well into their "golden years".

The state house themselves can then sort out who to send to the senate.

That was how our Republic was set up originally.  Senators were appointed.  The corruption and problems that it caused was insane.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That would destroy democracy.  The electorate (us) needs to stop sending the same exact people back to office.

These problems are ultimately of our own making through laziness, ignorance, and complacency.

We keep voting for and sending these people into office well into their "golden years".

That was how our Republic was set up originally.  Senators were appointed.  The corruption and problems that it caused was insane.

yeah my point is representative democracy ain't working cause voters kinda suck. 

Let gaussian distribution take care things and you will get sensical people to make decisions and be in houses and treat politics as a duty. 

I will admit I am jaded by the everyone gets one vote principle after these elections as I see typical voters are freaking gullible idiots. 

10 minutes ago, 24K said:

yeah my point is representative democracy ain't working cause voters kinda suck. 

Let gaussian distribution take care things and you will get sensical people to make decisions and be in houses and treat politics as a duty. 

I will admit I am jaded by the everyone gets one vote principle after these elections as I see typical voters are freaking gullible idiots. 

You're better than everyone, therefore you should get a vote, but the rest should not. This elitist mentality makes me nauseous. If you think it's wrong that everyone gets to vote, I hear China has a great system you could participate in. 

If voters are "gullible idiots", it's the presses job to call out lies and confront the liars with facts and spread them to the masses. Unfortunately, the media has become puppets of the government, instead of the guardians of truth and facts. They want to spin narratives and press their own opinions, instead of sticking to the factual information. It's our job as citizens to have unfiltered, honest conversations about the issues that "gullible idiots" have fallen for. I do think the education system, or lack thereof, has failed many in teaching critical thinking skills, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't get to vote. 

14 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

It’s funny how these people are all turning on Biden after one debate last night. Where were they 6 months ago?  MSNBC was saying Biden was totally cogent 6 months ago. They even said he was better than ever before. 

Now, Biden can’t even put a sentence together or walk down a flight of stairs on his own. And they’ve all turned on him. Why?  Why now?  Biden didn’t become like this overnight. He’s been like this since at least 2 years ago. 

Interesting that they want to get rid of him now only 4 months before the election. They had the opportunity to do it 2 years ago after the midterms. They’ve literally been hiding Biden from the public for 2 years. When was the last time he did a press conference at the White House?  

It’s almost like this was planned out. I mean Biden and his team were the ones that agreed to have a debate in June. Why didn’t they just wait until October like every other time?  Why did they agree to have a debate in June?  They knew he was “out of it”. So why agree to it?  Unless they wanted to prop up Biden like they did and then force him to resign afterwards. 

The Democrats have some explaining to do. This whole thing smells bad. 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It’s funny how these people are all turning on Biden after one debate last night. Where were they 6 months ago?  MSNBC was saying Biden was totally cogent 6 months ago. They even said he was better than ever before. 

Now, Biden can’t even put a sentence together or walk down a flight of stairs on his own. And they’ve all turned on him. Why?  Why now?  Biden didn’t become like this overnight. He’s been like this since at least 2 years ago. 

Interesting that they want to get rid of him now only 4 months before the election. They had the opportunity to do it 2 years ago after the midterms. They’ve literally been hiding Biden from the public for 2 years. When was the last time he did a press conference at the White House?  

It’s almost like this was planned out. I mean Biden and his team were the ones that agreed to have a debate in June. Why didn’t they just wait until October like every other time?  Why did they agree to have a debate in June?  They knew he was “out of it”. So why agree to it?  Unless they wanted to prop up Biden like they did and then force him to resign afterwards. 

people have been concerned about Biden publicly for a while now. 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I guess it depends on who your listening to.  Many have been saying to replace Biden for a while.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

tbh I really think we're looking at early Parkinson's with Joe. It would explain a lot. 

I talked about that in this thread months ago. People laughed when I brought it up. They then said Trump was the one with dementia. Did Trump look like he had dementia last night?  He lied out of his ass but he was totally coherent. Biden on the other hand couldn’t put a sentence together and froze reading from a prepared statement. Jill had to assist him down two stairs. 

A shift needs to happen in canada and the US rearding their leadership hopefuls in Trudeau and Biden.  Both nations collective parties need to find alternatives now.

Why?  The collective nations are heading towards a Trump/Pierre leadership team.

We can only guess how messed up that will be for the average person when each nation is run by social conservatives?

How does anyone think Canada will fair under a Pierre that is actually challenged by his US counterpart in trump?

Edited by Warhippy
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I talked about that in this thread months ago. People laughed when I brought it up. They then said Trump was the one with dementia. Did Trump look like he had dementia last night?  He lied out of his ass but he was totally coherent. Biden on the other hand couldn’t put a sentence together and froze reading from a prepared statement. Jill had to assist him down two stairs. 

both can still be true. 

I don't think trump has dementia, just a pathological ego issue, and he's also too old for the job. Doesn't make Joe a good candidate, but it is what it is. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

A shift needs to happen in canada and the US rearding their leadership hopefuls in Trudeau and Biden.  Both nations collective parties need to find alternatives now.

Why?  The collective nations are heading towards a Trump/Pierre leadership team.

We can only guess how messed up that will be for the average person when each nation is run by social conservatives?

How does anyone think Canada will fair under a Pierre that is actually challenged by his US counterpart in trump?

couldn't agree more. My preference for Canada is Mark Carney, but I'm happy to hear suggestions.

As for the US, maybe President Winfrey? 

Just now, Chicken. said:

its sad af to watch to be honest. no hate for the guy just sympathy/pity.

It’s elder abuse at this point. Biden should be at home walking his dog not running the country. Why have the Democrats done this?  That is the question nobody can answer. Was there not another viable candidate to run against Trump?

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It’s elder abuse at this point. Biden should be at home walking his dog not running the country. Why have the Democrats done this?  That is the question nobody can answer. Was there not another viable candidate to run against Trump?

Bingo.

How is there not one other person in the entire country?

I guarantee Oprah could speak gooder.....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 24K said:

I definitely understand your frustration with the status quo.  It's one of the reasons why I want more political parties.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

@Sabrefan1  The immunity ruling is coming down on Monday...

https://www.reuters.com/legal/trumps-immunity-ruling-due-monday-us-supreme-court-announces-end-term-2024-06-28/

Trump's immunity ruling due Monday as US Supreme Court announces end of term

I don't know now if that's good or bad news for Trump then. 

Had it been released today, that would have likely been good news for him since it would have given the news cycle an entire weekend to settle down.

DRAMA!!!  😂

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I don't know now if that's good or bad news for Trump then. 

Had it been released today, that would have likely been good news for him since it would have given the news cycle an entire weekend to settle down.

DRAMA!!!  😂

I say they vote against Trump and do no give him "absolute" immunity...

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

You're better than everyone, therefore you should get a vote, but the rest should not. This elitist mentality makes me nauseous. If you think it's wrong that everyone gets to vote, I hear China has a great system you could participate in. 

If voters are "gullible idiots", it's the presses job to call out lies and confront the liars with facts and spread them to the masses. Unfortunately, the media has become puppets of the government, instead of the guardians of truth and facts. They want to spin narratives and press their own opinions, instead of sticking to the factual information. It's our job as citizens to have unfiltered, honest conversations about the issues that "gullible idiots" have fallen for. I do think the education system, or lack thereof, has failed many in teaching critical thinking skills, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't get to vote. 

I am a fucking idiot. What I am saying I want experts to vote. Why should someone working an oil rig need to vote on public health. Why would a scientist vote on economic policies. No one is smart enough to vote reasonably on everything. 

The one fallacy of everyone one vote is that it expects everyone to be an expert on everything. 

This is just going to get worse with ai where disinformation abundant. We now can't even trust videos and photos anymore. 

We are demanding too much from voters is the point. 

• Wiener 1

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I say they vote against Trump and do no give him "absolute" immunity...

They gonna split the difference and just rely on delaying the whole thing.

Gonna just kick it back to the lower courts and give them a giant list of guidelines to litigate through that will take them well over a year to do. 

Edited by 24K

1 hour ago, 24K said:

I say it might be better to just forgo election and just do a random lottery for congress and state houses each year. 

The state house themselves can then sort out who to send to the senate.

Sorry, I can't get behind this idea. As imperfect as it is, I still believe the one person - one vote system is the best we've got.

I would love to see corporate money get out of politics though. IMHO, the Citizens United case opened the door for large companies to buy elections and they have been doing so (or trying to) ever since.

16 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

its sad af to watch to be honest. no hate for the guy just sympathy/pity.

I agree to a point, but even though I'm a JB supporter, I think this is self-inflicted.

Joe beat Trump fair and square in 2020 and he was probably the only Dem who could have pulled it off at the time. Now it seems like he's convinced himself that he's still the only one that can beat Trump, when the truth is likely the opposite.